Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Warehouse Worker

My review
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire30 May 2018
A normal day is go to work pack the orders go home. I have learned a lot over the 4-5 years of being there & over that time the management has got worse in some areas. You hardly see them during the day so if you have a problem takes ages to get a solution or just to make enquires.
The job isn't that hard just very tedious & being in one place for long periods of time on your feet can be very draining. Also gets very warm within the building even though they have air conditioning apparently which is very poor compared to other buildings.
I do enjoy most of the people I work with & that's got to be the most enjoyable part of my job but most of the time I feel like a robot on a fixed programme to be honest.

I wouldn't recommend working there to anybody. If your a student or live at home then not a bad p[lace to work but if you have a family then its not family friendly on hours.
Pros
Benefits, Rate of pay
Cons
Long Hours, poor management
Staff not at the heart of what they do
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire28 May 2018
April 2017.

Hello M&S colleagues, we currently work 8 hour shifts, but next month, we’re moving to 12 hour shifts!

What’s that? You get the bus to work? Your days are going to be 14 hours long and you are going to be extremely tired? You fit your 8-hour day around your children’s educational needs? Find another job!

By the way, because of this change, we won’t be able to attract many agency staff, therefore over Christmas you’ll all have to work 48 hour weeks, all at single pay!

Work levels at Christmas low. Can we have a half day? No. We're going to send the agency staff we do have, who really need the money, home instead! What’s that? It’s 2 in the morning and they have no means to get home? That’s their problem!

By the way, tomorrow there is a change of shift, instead of working 6-6 we're all on 11-11. What's that? You've got family? Childcare? You're studying? Medical appointments? Going out? Social life? You're moaning we've given you less than 24 hours notice? Do the shift! Otherwise you'll trigger an absence and lose your right to a pay increase and bonus!

Oh yeah, by the way, because all of our knackered staff are now taking lots of time of work to recover, we’re really tightening up our absence policy! Who cares about you!
Pros
Fair salary for the job it is
Cons
Change from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts
basic workplace
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Oxfordshire18 May 2018
M&s is an alright place to work they are rarely flexible and some managers are too judgemental but it is not an uncomfortable place to work. not a huge diversity in staff.
Productive and learnt new skills.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire16 May 2018
A typical shift at work was very busy and productive which I enjoyed as I like being busy. Whilst working for Marks and Spencer's I learned how to effectively manage my time as I had to work within a time limit. As this was my first job I learned numerous skills in which I can now use effectively in my career. I also learned to take on board instructions and learning to work alongside other colleagues.

The workplace culture was diverse as I worked with a range of people from different backgrounds which Marks and Spencers pride themselves on with great customer service being their key message.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining momentum during quieter periods of the working day. The most enjoyable part of this job learning new skills and meeting new people. Also, giving me aspirations for my career going forward.
Pros
good internal benefits e.g. canteen was subsidised
Cons
Long days
nice work plase
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire1 May 2018
I was working in the biggest one warehouse in all European. I was picking the clothes, sort outing, scaning, change the price and to many thinks more.
Pros
three brakes but only two brakes free
Cons
normal work hours
quite and a good pace of working
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  market street7 March 2018
I loved working at marks and spencer, I was left to my own devices once I was shown what to do and I really like the independence. if I could go back to or have stayed at marks and spencer I definitely would its unfortunate that there was no permanent jobs.
Pros
1 hour break that you could split and break it down when you wanted.
Manangement is poor and overall store morale is low
WAREHOUSE OPERATIVE (Current Employee) –  West Midlands26 February 2018
I have been working at my current M&S store for 3 years now. There are constant changes to our job roles that are coinciding with cutbacks the company makes to save money. These changes are often complex, not needed and require more work to be done from the staff with no pay changes or even something as simple as a thank you.
General store morale is poor. Management do little to motivate and encourage the staff to strive in their jobs. The managers themselves do not lead by example half the time and are lacking in their inter-personal and communication skills. Managers do little to engage with staff, often sitting on their own managers table at lunch, hence creating a work hierarchy.
The workplace culture between lower level staff is generally good. It is lucky that you can work with some good people as it makes the typical working day more enjoyable.
In the past I have done extra shifts, changed my hours last minute, attended call outs, done nigh shifts with no thank you. It is often assumed that I will always do these shifts and make these changes. The one time I said no I was made to feel that I had done something wrong and was told that I wouldn't be considered for any further extra hours if I had wanted any.
Confidence in commercial managers is also poor as I have heard rumours about members of staff that concern confidential issues. It is general knowledge that some commercial managers are not professional in their manner.
Pros
Staff Discount and Free food available in staff canteen
Cons
Long Hours
m&S
warehouse sales admin (Current Employee) –  Southport13 February 2018
flexible good job roles friendly staff discount uniforms good environment free refreshments lockers. being part of a team and good managers and section cos
Friendly
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Malvern9 February 2018
A typical day was stock room based retrieving items the shop floor needed and sending them down but also, dealing with deliveries of stock and help keeping the store tidy and running smoothly. Managers are very friendly and are very approachable if you ever had a question or any issues which made work life easier. My co-workers were always friendly and easy to get along with which made it enjoyable to go into work but also understood the importance of the tasks at hand. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the work that was Involved in the warehouse, the hardest part of the jobs to finish a delivery when it would arrive late and leave us only a bit of time to do the work.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Missing personal events
Fun yet intense workplace
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Windsor7 February 2018
For me, the work day started at 6.30am where I had to take delivery of the days food stock. Though intense, the rewards were great. Appreciation from co-workers and respect for the job you do, contributing to the team.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Can get very intense
Productive, hands on, fun
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bracknell24 January 2018
I had to unload the lorry, sort out the rubbish, carry out picking lists, sort out the stock for the people on the warehouse and sort out what others were doing. I learned how to work as a team. The management were really awesome. The workplace is fast paced but fun. hardest part was going out in the cold to sort out the rubbish, most enjoyable part was completing tasks
Pros
discout
Cons
short break
Good job and kind staff
Warehouse Assistant London (Current Employee) –  London18 January 2018
I start processing order one day. I did picking, binning and reprizist. I get a traning a new area. The manager was very human and kind. Sometimes the job was heavy. I like kozmetics product,
Pros
free car park
Cons
longs hour
Store maintenence
Senior storeman and store maintenance (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 January 2018
This was a good company to work for. I left due to moving to a different part the UK but I would reccommend this company to anyone.
This was an easy place to get on with people and it helped make the work enjoyable.
Only for good team workers
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire8 January 2018
My typical working night is about receiving some conteiners on the receiving section or working on the MEZ , putaway etc. From 05:00 hygine for everyone of the workers !
Friendly and helpful management and the team leaders as well !
Cons
Bored night hours
Productive work place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire5 January 2018
Nice peoples around- helpfool and friendly. I would like to work hear agen. That was great time... Never was not problems with overtimes or days off...
Well Organised
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Slough, Berkshire10 November 2017
I thouroughly enjoyed working 'backstage' at M&S. I liked the fact that everythig was well organised and that the company had good health and safety standards.
An enjoyable place to work, with great food!
Cashier and Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex8 November 2017
This was a fun and enjoyable place to work and had good staff benefits, such as the employee discount. It was a varied role and is good for anyone who enjoys dealing with people.
nice place to work
Retail Assistant/Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Norwich City Centre, Norfolk13 October 2017
great place to work but only seasonal, having said that I had very good experiences working there and would recomend them to students who are looking for work to pay college fees
Pros
free lunch plus staff discount
Cons
only seasonal
warehouse operative
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire3 October 2017
absolutely loved working here the 8 hour night shift with your friends went so quick, i used to always do overtime sometimes working 7 days straight because i enjoyed it that much, it did end my relationship working all the hours but that did not bother me because i enjoyed the atmosphere and buzzing vibe i got for working there, i only left because of family commitments at the time and my dad was passing away otherwise i think id still be working there 4 years on even some of my good mates still work there after all these years
Pros
great job
Cons
nothing
Temporary warehouse operative
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Bradford12 September 2017
Temporary warehouse operative on 0 hour contract, hours of work not know ,until very short notice.Heavy hard work moving flat pack furniture.Dismantling disused equipment ,and recycling polystyrene.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K