Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Sainsbury's
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Christchurch, Dorset10 September 2018
I loved working for Sainsbury's, and my typical day at work would be serving customers and helping with their purchases. I was trained to operated the tills, money handling etc, and most importantly...customer service.

The work place culture was very good, and I got on well with my colleagues, including management. I don't remember there being a hard part to the job.

The most enjoyable part of the job was knowing that my customers went away safe in the knowledge that their shopping experience went smoothly and quickly.
Pros
Subsidised canteen
Cons
waiting at the bus stop in the middle of Boscombe after 8 at night.
Very bad place where you can work
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 September 2018
The store look nice but behind you will see a lot of horrible things. The manager walk around and it will let you do everything. They use you like an animal, and they do a lot of favoritism.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
Sales Assistant/Temporary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Temporary30 August 2018
Sales retail Assistant helping customer, Operating till, handling cash and credit card transactions, till, organising and arranging stock undertaking additional duties when required.
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
Great place to work wish i never left, ensure training is done not copied, fun work place. Always active great managers, i feel this company showed me how to work in compliance with company rules/process
Pros
Great staff
great job, great people
Sales Assistant, Accuracy (Current Employee) –  Crewe27 August 2018
Great place to work, staff are all lovely friendly people and make it such an enjoyable place to work. No two days are the same, so you cant be bored easily and you get free fruit, toast, tea and coffee, which is a bonus.
Pros
the people, fruit, toast, tea, coffee.
Good work ethic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire21 August 2018
A typical day consists of working on both tills and shop floor.
Helping your co-workers is important as it can get very busy. Customers are not always friendly but you must always act in a respectful and kind manner.
You have your own floor to manage and work on but occasionally you may be put on another section.
Ok
Sales assisant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 August 2018
Marks and spencers were good to work for. I would definetly recommend them as a first time employer. Silverburn was where I worked. Give it a bash! Good Luck!
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley19 August 2018
9:00am-3:00pm everyday
Sales assistant
communication skills
customer service skills
The workplace culture was very friendly and everyone helped when help was requested.
Pros
good break times
Cons
compact shifts
Great Company To Work For
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire14 August 2018
Only negative is that I was not made aware I was on a temporary contract the salary is great for young people and everyone is lovely. a very diverse workforce
Pros
good breaks
Cons
Temporary contract
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Basingstoke8 August 2018
Pros-
possible growth
great team
lots to learn
great discount in all departments/family discount

Cons-
bad management
quick turnover of staff
Pros
Great team.
productive
Sale Assistant (Current Employee) –  dartford6 August 2018
very work driven and focused in all shops. time keeping is essential in all shops in order to ensure that daily tasks are met on time to allow the company to run smoothly.
Great first job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blackburn, Lancashire3 August 2018
busy working day, aways something to do
friendly staff members .

I enjoyed helping the customers and making sure people left happy!

Management were very helpful and made sure to keep you busy and that you were working to your best ability
Pros
20% discount
Nice staff and Good salary
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City31 July 2018
My typical day at work was long hours and a short lunch break as they were short on staff. The job was enjoyable as I got to communicate with the public and help people out when needed. The worst part of the job was having to work long hours, when the shop wasn't busy I didn't have much to do and when first starting the job I wasn't given much guidance on what to do and had to ask a to of questions or figure things out by myself. All staff were friendly and nice, I got a warm welcome to the team and enjoyed my overall experience there.
Pros
A lot of locker space, Salary, Friendly staff
Cons
Short breaks and lunches, Long hours
fun and easy
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Cranleigh30 July 2018
working at Marks and Spencer is great, the clients are great and the staff are friendly and encouraging. I currently work weekends and the pay is also good. I see the same customers regularly and am able to build up a rapport with them. I am able to get free lunches in the staff room
Pros
free lunches
Cons
i cant think of any
A good place to work, alot of laughs
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Carlisle City Centre, Cumbria29 July 2018
Every day is different at work, we all get different jobs to do each hour or 2, we serve on the till and make coffee and food for our customers. We clean as we go too as it can get messy! We have a good working environment we all get along , we work well together.
Pros
Discount off M &S products
Cons
Can be hot in summer weather
loved it!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow27 July 2018
I loved working for Marks and Spencers, from the staff that I worked with to the customers I helped. It was a great job. Meeting a wide range of people every day and dealing with whatever enquiries they had and also developing great relationships with staff that are now long time friends! Fantastic company with fantastic opportunities.
funworkplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London North, Greater London22 July 2018
working is always a need for me ,i love be in contact with people and help them .I believe there is always something new every single day .I am lucky i always have amazing managers and I m ok to ask them anytime I need to know something new.I love working in team and use their experience and sher mine too .
Fun Workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bluewater19 July 2018
Really enjoyed working there for the short time I was there, all customers and colleagues were friendly and helped pave the way for great work, help was always round the corner & the tills were easy to use
Pros
Meet new people, work as a team
Cons
Short lunch break
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire19 July 2018
Fairly enjoyed working at Marks and Spencers. Management could be better and more fair. Shift patterns are good. Enjoyable job if you are a people person.
The worst place ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Chiswick18 July 2018
I worked in Chiswick food store; despite agreeing my working hours almost everyday forced to do more. The atmosphere is horrible, floor coordinator is swearing at employees and giving confusing and conflicting orders. No time to do anything like date checks so being blamed after for missing items which are passed dates. Management not interested in resolving issues. Overall far away from excellent customer service, the store in general having many problems. Everyone stay away from this location.
Pros
Cons
Many

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K