Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Amazing
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Thurrock, Essex22 June 2018
I was based in the LKB (Lingerie, kids and beauty) department.
often on tills (very enjoyable)
Sometimes fluctuated between departments , and this increased my satisfaction within the job and it increased my motivation. ( Not forced to work within a monotomous working cycle)
Helped book bra fitting appointments
Very enjoyable
Pros
very communicative workforce
Cons
short breaks
Its alright
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  LONDON21 June 2018
A typical day at work is usually very busy and fast pace, I've learned that when it comes to pleasing customers you must stay positive and smile 24/7. Managements alright, could be better, Best thing is PERKS.
Pros
Perks
Quite enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford17 June 2018
I was lucky enough to work with a great team who were friendly and supportive. It was quite enjoyable as the people were polite and kind. It was also quite a clean environment- which was nice.
Average retail job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 June 2018
If your face fits you can climb the ladder otherwise you are not expected to progress in the company. If you have a good manager then it’s nice but managers come and go and you have to start all over again,
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Communication
Rewarding yet under staffed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epping, Essex13 June 2018
The work was fast paced and generally quite enjoyable particularly around the Christmas period. Management was efficient and staff meetings in the morning meant for a more organised working day. At times, however, the store was understaffed making it difficult to dedicate as much time to each customer as one would like to.
Long hours but excellent pay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rotherham12 June 2018
At this job you are expected to take up long shifts and many hours, if you do not want to take on a shift there is a certain feeling of anger from the managers, despite the fact that these hours exceed your contracted hours and this is never discussed. However, the pay from the job is excellent and the job itself is not too demanding.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long shifts
Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
Working n M&S has helped me gain a lot of insight of how a supermarket works and most importantly how to interact with customers. Dealing with customers has to be the most enticing aspect of the job as you meet various types of customers, which is mostly fun
friendly work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire9 June 2018
It was well organised as there was a rota made for everyone on a daily basis. Existing employees were friendly and managers were welcoming.

A typical day at work would consist of assisting in fitting rooms, putting stock out on the floor, welcoming customers and serving on tills.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
More staff needed during sale period
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire9 June 2018
fun great enjoyableMy determination to always succeed and supress any expectation is what makes me a great asset to the workplace. I challenge myself and always strive for the best. I have no problem taking on roles that are foreign to me if it is aiding the team or situation. I have great teamwork and communication skills that I have developed through my diverse experience opportunities. I believe I am joyful and enthusiastic person and I think this allows my working experience to be a positive one. Attendance and punctuality is something I have always exceeded in and plan to take this with me any role I take on. Overall there are many factors that would make me suitable for this position and I would love to be a part of your team.
Pros
great
Cons
great
Always busy but great wage
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Perth, Perth and Kinross3 June 2018
My shift is always busy.
You don't get time to stand around for even a few seconds. There's always restocking or tidying to do.
However, when you do a long shift (over 4 hours) you only get 20 minutes break (or 30 if you do over 6).
I've learned a lot and have been in different parts of the store.
The staff are friendly and always there to help.
Staff rota's are a bit chaotic at times and a lot of staff leaving at the same time only leaving a few to hold the fort.
Free food and drink provided in the staff lounge.
Pros
Wages great. Staff lounge includes free food and drink
Cons
Hours. Not much break time.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Llandudno30 May 2018
I learned how to use the tills in work. I enjoyed working as a team with members of staff and helping the members of the public find what they wanted.
Working for the company was good.
Fun And Busy Workplace.
Part Time Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownabbey22 May 2018
I really enjoyed my time at M&S. It was short lived as it was only temporary. Would definitely work for them again. Great learning experience for me..’
Pros
20% discount in stores for any products.
Cons
Temporary Contract.
great job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Perth17 May 2018
much like anyother retail job, can get boring however the pay is really good at £8.50 per hour and you also get a good staff discount at 20%, you also get discount card for a friend or family
Good Place to Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 May 2018
Great place to gain basic retail experience!
• Controlling and replenishing stock on the shop floor
• Assisting customers with any queries regarding products efficiently
• An understanding of visual merchandising within the store
• A greater knowledge of the company and the products selected by buyers
Great place to excel
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Lisburn10 May 2018
I enjoy working at Marks and Spencer as the management team are very easy to get along with and are always helpful in helping you to excel in your job role!
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Tills
16 year old job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth10 May 2018
great and easy first job all the staff are lovely and the management was great let you do your own thing within reason was fun place to work and was good money for a 16 year old
Lovely place to work and good quality products
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay, Devon29 April 2018
Treat staff well and very supportive when time needed off very professional ,excellent company for a future career with excellent opportunities and salary
Pros
Discount card, lovely people
Productive & fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownbreda26 April 2018
I enjoyed being part of the team, serving customers on a day to day basis. The staff perks were great including staff discount, the pension scheme, and great food in the canteen.
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire20 April 2018
There's lots of things to do. It's active and the staff are friendly. However it gets busy very often and you have to be able to work under pressure. recomend it
Pros
Salary
Good staff
Temp sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire18 April 2018
A typical work day at Marks&Spencer is always fun and there is always things to be doing whether that be on the shop floor or in the warehouse re-pricing for the seasonal sales.

I learned that you have to be enthusiastic and motivated to help customers have the best shopping experience and to be at their hand whenever they need it.
Pros
20% staff discount

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K