Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 771 reviews matching the search See all 4,770 reviews
Poorly run, no organisation
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex29 November 2018
Members of normal staff very lovely and always happy to help. Management expect a lot from you in very little time, want you to be able to put yr life on hold at the drop of a hat and you are expected to work as and when they want. Training is appalling and health and safety is at the bottom of their priorities, payslips are only viewed online and you are strangely paid in advance! Not enough equipment to do the job but you are expected to just cope and still work to a strict deadline. Very over worked and under valued, theres no care or compassion for staff also no direct line to call into store so if theres an emergency etc and someone tries to call you they would go through a call centre first which in itself was a nightmare but you arent allowed to keep a mobile phone in case of emergencies. Had no signed contract and no one knew how long the induction period lasted which meant a lower grade of pay, you are provided with uniform but if if it dosnt last you for a year then you have to pay for more, all breaks are unpaid and what i wasnt told when i took the job on was that even though you have contracted hours you are expected to be flexible. There is 20% discount in stores and some other perks but overall its not worth the grief!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough staff, equipment, or manners
Poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire27 November 2018
Depends which branch you work in but there is no longer a work/family balance. It's all policy they never listen to staff,no consistency,rules for some and rules for others.Very poor management.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No work/family balance
Ok place to work.
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Dunfermline21 November 2018
Good pay and good benefits however not the best support. Managers never on the floor but when you need something you can always ask.

Usually space for overtime if they have it.
Pros
Good discount
Cons
Managers never around
Christmas temp
Christmas Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside, Thurrock20 November 2018
I enjoyed my time here, I was employed as a Christmas temp and worked with some very nice people. Busy all the time, which was good. I was offered a permanent position after but was unable to take this up at the time, the reason was that the hours did not suit round s young family
Pros
Good staff discounts
horrible unless you've been there for years
Sales Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 November 2018
i worked in Sauchiehall Street marks and spencers and it was a horrible environment. the people that worked there didnt want to work there, there were so many temporary young people (like me) worried about what to do about money after, they told you lies about keeping you on, and the best of it all is the managers are bullies
it was my first job, and they gave me barely any training and threw me out to the shop floor to work. i said "what do i do" and the woman who trained me said "ask someone on the floor" and darted off
dont have good memories from here. more panic attacks were had than i should of had. not a nice place
i enjoyed meeting a lot of different people as a lot of different people do come into the job. i did take away some things to learn like talking to customers and being on a shop floor with customers etc.
you should never feel scared to walk into your job, ever
Pros
met some good people
Cons
literally everything i said
Worst place to work ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Surrey14 November 2018
To start, this applies to all stores. The holidays are bad and you have to book your holiday for the next calendar year nearly 1 and a half years before! You also have to wait til midnight to book the holiday on the date it is released or you WON'T get holiday.

The management is poor and act superior to you. If you are an older employee you are respected, however poor young teenagers get treated like dirt and forced to be silent even if they speak.

They want you to be flexible but they are never flexible for you.

And the biggest advantage, if you leave, you MUST work a full month before you leave otherwise they claim the money from the hours you have worked because you didn't work the full month. All of this, you are NOT told about! Lot's of people I know have been overpaid when they've left and the managers/company never educate you on this. I was advised to work two weeks before I left so I didn't owe any money, which I now have found out is a lie.

I also was overpaid in May and they have only just decided to tell me when I left that I owed them money for that too.

Also, I have took no holiday. They do not owe me it apparently because I hadn't left in April.

Overall, they will not help you out and they have a pay system that means they can work out how to claim your own money.
Pros
Cons
Payroll system, holiday
Everything great except management
Temporary Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 November 2018
I loved the job, the pay and the customers however sometimes it would get very quiet and no one would be doing anything productive. If i did something when it was quiet, I was told I didn't need to so days would drag. Management wasn't great, they would stand around and talk all day. There were so many leadership roles but not enough leadership.
Pros
Amazing pay
Productive and fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hedge End12 November 2018
Learned how to deal with difficult customers and work under time restraints whilst ensuring all customers were satisfied with their purchases and service.
Fun and flexible
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Oxford11 November 2018
Great if you like customer interaction.
Good benefits
Excellent opportunity to work extra hours.
Flexible and fun place to work and good quality products that you are proud to sell.
Benefits
Cons
Can be cold in the food department
Hardworking but rewarding
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 November 2018
The hours at M&S were long however i was kept busy attending to many customers helping them buy school uniforms for their child and stocking shelves. I was also till trained
Pros
Free hot chocolate and discount
Cons
it is what is expected for a retail job
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear31 October 2018
A typical day at work for an under 18 year old would be walking round picking clothes up off the floor and hanging them back up or putting out repro on the shop floor.
great place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Banbury29 October 2018
M&S is a very good place to work, I think what makes M&S are the staff. If not for the staff then I think many would not stay as it can be a fluid job.
Customers are fascinating, and if you love to people watch its the place.
I cannot say a bad word about the place I worked in as it was lovely.
Pros
great advancement possibilities
Good, but not as good as it was 10 years ago
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockport23 October 2018
Overall and initially a good place to work,benefits have become less over the years,Marks and Spencer gave me a good standard of living,but very disappointed in the system used when store closures were announced.
Be warned the advertised wages are wrong
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  UK14 October 2018
I work as a temporary sales assistant at M&S, I'm on my second stint, the first was at Christmas. I am surprised to see the wages advertised at £8.75 as new starters are only paid £8 an hour and when you start each temp job you are paid as a trainee new starter despite being so experienced from the previous stint and requiring no training, except now I'm trained as a bra fitter, but, still paid the trainees rate, so I'm trained for more things than many permanent staff. It's a shame they do this as the job is great, the perks brilliant and they do take care of their staff.

Update: I have been trying to get 'signed off' as a trainee at my store as I have now worked a total of 20+weeks since December 2017. It is proving extremely difficult as no one in my store seems to know the protocol, it is demoralising to work as hard as my colleagues for so much less and no one seems to care. I would advise anyone applying for a position in M&S to get full clarification as to how and when they go onto to proper wages before they start.
Pros
Staff discount, take care of staff
Cons
Unbalanced wage system
Stay away from the place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down9 October 2018
Too many boss's no considerate for your family if your on the sick you get calls each day to ask when u coming back then they call u in asking why were you on the sick and you have to phone them every day ... On sick days
You have to book your holidays over a year advanced and even at that you mighty even get them .....
Very depressing place
Pros
20% off if you shop there...
Cons
Can't get holidays or days off and you to be flexible
Would go back!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brooklands Surrey4 October 2018
Loved working there, I love working with people and food and I just found it rewards. Didn't dread going to work and i think that says a lot, especially for a super market, good progression if you want it
Pros
20 discout
Cons
unsociable hours
fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2018
it was really fun met new people and enjoyed working with them a good and helpful team with a caring and flexible manager that is understanding and supportive
first job since leaving school
Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  London1 October 2018
Marks and Spencer's was my first job since I left school so I was 16 and it was my first ever job so it was fun working for them so I learnt all my customer service skills from working in Marks and Spencer's in Kensington High Street
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Career change
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidenhead30 September 2018
I enjoyed working at marks and Spencer's even though it was only a week I had a great time . The staff was great. I mostly enjoyed working in the food department.
Pros
Great fun
Cons
No free lunches
productive fast moving work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2018
The store I worked in was a small branch therefore the job changed every day, wish I enjoyed because it wasn't boring. Although I know this is the same across retail, I didn't like how often managers where changed as things were done differently with each change.
Pros
discount card
Cons
hours not very flexible

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K