Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Great Company
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lymington, Hampshire16 September 2018
Very good job which included a variety of roles, ranging from till work and shelf stacking to reduction pricing and warehouse operations. Pay is excellent and opportunity to receive bonuses.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Unpaid breaks
Productive and organised
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Streatham8 September 2018
working at Mark's and Spencer was a very peaceful. Every morning you knew your role and what you had to do, everything is organized well before hand to avoid any casualties. what was enjoyable about this job the lack of tension or stress in the workplace making it really nice to work there.
Pros
Free lunch
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Omagh8 September 2018
fun place of work with many friendly colleagues eager to work. Friendly and committed management team with the best intentions of the staff at heart. plenty of opportunities to advance and improve skills and abilities.
Good Employer
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheshire Oaks, Cheshire2 September 2018
Very helpful colleagues and supervisors
Uniform provided and canteen available for staff.
I have worked here on 3 occasions, two of which were as temporary staff for hristmas and easter, whilst the other was work experience.
Excellent company to work for.
Café Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lisburn, County Down30 August 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed my time at Marks and Spencer and would recommend it to anyone seeking their first job. Great management, excellent staff and incredible reward schemes and incentives.
Can be unles under pressure from mangers
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol30 August 2018
If you start as temporary it will mean that you are not guaranteed a job and they can tell you so last minute like the same day which I think is not very advanced for people in need of a job with good money.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Short breaks
productive, strenuous at times
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Braehead30 August 2018
working with this company is a great opportunity for expanding your knowledge in retail and dealing with customers in a sufficient manner. They allow you to grow in bigger roles if you provide or show your abilities well.
Busy and fun workplace
Customer Assistant - Barista (Current Employee) –  Oxford, Oxfordshire28 August 2018
Marks and Spencer cafe offers a busy workplace which teaches you various skills such as handling money, coffee making, and food preparation.

An average day will include setting up the cafe for the day ahead, such as stocking the shelves, baking pastries, setting up all of the machines. Later on in the day will focus mainly on serving the customers and ensuring their experience is as positive as possible. The latter part of the day will focus more on shutting the cafe down for when the store closes which mainly revolves around cleaning and shutting down the machines ready for the next day.

The hardest part of the job is keeping the place running whilst it is busy, especially if there is a shortage on staff.

The most enjoyable part is meeting new people and learning new skills.
changing fast
Role - Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leicester26 August 2018
use to be fun vibrant place to work but it is now changing fast and losing the M&S appeal that has been so high for so many years, people are still very nice and the one positive still going for the company but all retailers are struggling in this new modern world
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex26 August 2018
Nice place to work. treated employees well, pay was ok, hours were a bit all over the place.

Potential to progress within the business. Enjoyed working with like minded employees.
productive and fun workplace
Part-time Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longwell Green23 August 2018
I mainly worked evening and weekend shifts, starting as early as 6 am and finishing as late as 9pm. Working for marks and Spencer was some of the best highlights of my career path, I will never forget working for this amazing company. Staff are friendly and committed.

There was a good variety of tasks to be done from stacking shelves, working on tills, assisting self service till, customer support and date checking. Management was always quick to praise your hard work and recognized potential skills.
Pros
discounts
Cons
early/ late shifts
No two days the same. Good colleagues
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, South Lanarkshire21 August 2018
As a customer assistant in the food hall my primary task was to ensure that customers had access to the food items that they required. To do this I was tasked with stocking shelves and food chill cabinets throughout the different areas of the food hall to an acceptable level that allowed customers to purchase what they required. Along with this it was also important that I was able to offer advice and opinions on the foodstuffs on sale and also with menu tips and advice. This included giving recommendations on wine and spirits. Assistance was also given to customers who needed help to carry their purchases to their cars.
In order to carry out all of the above it was important that I, and the colleagues that I worked with, could bond and work as a team in order to support each other and achieve the aims set out by our department managers. A constantly changing environment meant that no two days were ever the same and that variety ensured an environment that was challenging but fun to work in.
Pros
Allowed me to study for my law degree
Cons
Working every weekend
Enjoyable working environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness21 August 2018
At M&S I enjoy working despite some long days and early gets ups as all the staff are polite and friendly therefore you feel accepted which makes it easier to work and makes the time there more enjoyable.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
Cons
Long shifts
the salary is really good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London19 August 2018
working at the store in Stratford was amazing the whole staff was amazing but when I moved to the Croyden store I dreaded coming everyday I just didn't feel happy working there then my phone got stolen and when it did get handed in i wasn't told who had taken it
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible people at the croyden store
Great Retail Establishment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester17 August 2018
Brilliant opportunity to start as a part-time temp in retail. Staff were always very friendly and customers were almost never a problem. Charming place to work altogether.
overall good place to work
Customer Sales Assistant - From (Former Employee) –  Burnley17 August 2018
very busy job especially on weekends
communication skills are essential especially with difficult customers
quite a happy place to be, overall vibes are good, has its ups and downs.
Enjoyable working environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 August 2018
during my three weeks at M&S I picked up many shopfloor skills, like how to make space on shelves, how to correctly speak to customers and what to do if you dont know the answer to any questions from customers.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Long shifts
Many skills learnt, however not a particularly stimulating/fun work environment.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol15 August 2018
A typical day was 8 hours long, with an hour lunch break. All of this was spent on your feet, which was tiring but necessary. The job taught me many skills, including till work, computer skills and customer sales communication. My boss wasn't particularly sympathetic or interested in my work, however the other employees around me were supportive and always looked to help each other out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, difficult customers on return desk
enjoyable
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
• Provided brilliant customer service and made every customers’ experience special; shown through multiple customer survey reviews for which I was rewarded
• Fine-tuned my knowledge and developed my expertise in customer service
• Used product knowledge to aid customers in deciding on the best product for their needs and desires
• Built strong relationships with customers which encouraged them to return to the store as their previous experience was always great
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hourss
Productive and beneficial
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Ealing, Greater London12 August 2018
Marks and Spencers has been one of the better companies I've worked for. The salary and benefits are more than generous for unskilled labourers and management allow workers to be flexible.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K