Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Alright place to work but management looked down on you whilst being awful at their job
Temporary Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire12 June 2018
Good salary and staff discount but really didn't like the management. Could have been the store I was working in but my line manager was terrible at her job. They were strict on the number and length of breaks the customer assistants took but the managers used to go and take as many breaks as they wanted!
Pros
Pay; staff discount (20%)
Management needs improving.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London11 June 2018
Great money, it becomes hard to juggle everyday life when so much of your time is spent working.
Not the nicest environment to be working in, always doing something wrong, you can never do right
Pros
Lunch break
Cons
very nice and productive most of the time
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newbury10 June 2018
you always had jobs to do it was very fun and productive the hours were nice and the way was very good I recommend this job also paid weekly so had money every week
Pros
discount
Friendly and welcoming workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset9 June 2018
Overall I thoroughly enjoyed my time working at Marks and Spencer - my colleagues were very friendly and helpful and I fitted in as soon as I started. The work ethic is excellent
allright
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hazel Grove, Greater Manchester9 June 2018
The pay was good and was not strenuous but the management was unnecessarily bossy. it is important for management to have a lead roll in the workplace but the managers thought they where much better at anything they did even when they clearly where lacking in some skills.
Pros
good pay
Cons
short breaks
I was a good experience
customer sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Beckenham, Greater London8 June 2018
At Marks and Spencer's I learned how to work within a team efficiently. I realised that working within a team will make life easier and it will make tasks be completed a lot more efficiently. Working for M&S made me more aware of handling difficult customers and how to help people that are struggling.
Pros
friendly atmosphere and everyone is nice
Great job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow2 June 2018
I enjoyed this job as everyday was productive, there was always something to keep busy with and enjoyed working alongside the public, gained many great customer service skills
Job Security not guaranteed
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Gateshead, Tyne and Wear2 June 2018
enjoyable atmosphere to work in, flexible hours are offered however with current affairs the security of a job at M&S is not guaranteed. CEO continuously informs workers and staff that change are going to be made yet no noticeable changes have been made within my 2 years of employment.
Staff are very clicky managers are disgusting
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff30 May 2018
Marks and Spencer has perks with the 20% and also then if you have offers on a sparks card but the work is never good enough for a manager’ and also some staff are very clicky and also the permanents are happy enough to play up if the temps get a better shift than them and then managers will change your shifts without asking also temps and permanents get different pay THEY ARE NOT EQUAL LIKE THEY MIGHT WANT YOU TO THINK .They have no compassion if you might have an emergency or personal problems and if they see your having a good day and completed your work they are happy enough to make you re-do it or re-do someone else’s job which they have not done tidy! Not a good job for someone with a family as they do not care if you have children or committments in your life. You must revolve around them!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Managers . Most staff
Productive and busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, Cambridgeshire29 May 2018
M&S consisted of very friendly staff who where keen to introduce me to aspects of the store so I learnt a wide variety of skills, whilst demonstrating the variety of job opportunities and products. The management was well organised and created a calm and collective workplace culture. The hardest part of the job was the long hours and the business of the work place, although there was always enough staff to keep to this demand. The most enjoyable part of the job was the experience it provided for me as I learnt a variety of new skills within the retail sector.
Pros
skills
Busy but fun workplace
Customer Assistant (full time) (Former Employee) –  Stirling29 May 2018
I thoroughly enjoyed my job in the Marks and Spencer Café. The team are brilliant, welcoming and accepting of everyone. The management team was mostly fantastic but there were a few struggles from some colleagues. The hardest part of the job was dealing some very difficult customers, they often had very high expectations which were hard to meet. There was a lot of fun to be had, however, with making coffee and just generally having a laugh with colleagues and customers.
Pros
Employee benefits, i.e. 20% discount
Cons
Fast-paced, at times stressful
A Productive Learning curve.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burnley, Lancashire27 May 2018
Marks & Spencer was a big learning curve for me as it was my first job. I acquired this job through the Prince's Trust Team Programme. I really enjoyed my time here as a Customer Assistant, the Burnley store is really a really nice environment to be in and the staff are super friendly and are a big help in the workplace.
Pros
Staff Discount, reasonable work hours, can help yourself to food in the staff lounge.
Cons
Short break times
Incredible Company to Work For
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wiltshire24 May 2018
I've never had such a welcoming working experience than I have had at M&S. Alongside learning some core skills and information about the retail industry working at M&S really is like being part of a huge family.
Pros
Benefits of the Company
Better Communication is required.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stratford-upon-Avon, Warwickshire23 May 2018
Management are moved around all the time, you get used to doing things a certain way and the next week its all changed again, I find that hard to keep up, and if there is a problem the person dealing
with it gets moved on before they can help and you have to try again with a new line manager.
Pros
staff are friendly
Cons
always more work to do in a short time than is possible.
In and outs
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  manchester spinning fields22 May 2018
In my current store, I find it is a great place to work for students as we are quite flexible but you can only either do late nights or early mornings.
n/a
Customer Assistant. (FOODHALL) (Current Employee) –  Kensington, Greater London22 May 2018
Daily interesting experiences, interacting with customers and solving problems whilst completing tasks with a very special team. providing the ideal customer service.
Pros
n/a
Cons
n/a
Fun and Great place of work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glossop21 May 2018
I had an amazing time at Marks and Spencer, it is not a huge store so this allowed for the staff to become very close and we were a great team. The management were all friendly and helpful, they also pushed me towards being able to take my job further and even enter management.
Good environment
Barista and Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Congleton19 May 2018
Fast paced cafe environment, throughout the day you do a bit of everything including working the till taking orders and processing payments, preparing hot food, barista work on coffees or pot washing. The pay was good but the hours worked compared the the time on break was low and tiring.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
long hours short breaks
Fun and educational job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cranleigh17 May 2018
My time at Marks and Spencer's was my first real taste of full time work and has massively helped me socially and in work experience. Shifts were always entertaining working with a strong and hard working team. Management was friendly and helpful throughout. Returned to work several times following travelling and experienced several different roles within the store.
Nice
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside12 May 2018
Good place to work on weekends while I was at school/university.
Typical customer assistant position. There was nothing particularly good or bad about it

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K