Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews for Customer Assistant

Found 793 reviews matching the search See all 4,777 reviews
Management really don’t care about you
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Altrincham, Greater Manchester12 December 2018
Not a good experience working there for me, management are hard to get hold of if there’s any problems and aren’t helpful when you manage to track them down. Some staff are treated differently depending on how long you’ve worked there, put you down for hours you haven’t agreed to work and you get in to trouble when you say you can’t come in for said hours. Get made to feel really guilty if you can’t work extra hours or are poorly. Doing food reductions is dangerous and gets out of hand, customers snatch push and scratch to get reduced food and company do nothing to help staff safety.
Pros
Pay is decent, when paid correctly.
Cons
Management, rude customers, repetitive, company don’t care about staff
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, UK5 December 2018
Induction Day met and made some really good friends for life. The environment and people working in the cafe are so friendly and supportive. Really recommend applying.
Pros
Salary and Able to take on more hours
Cons
If closing, there is a lot of responsibility put on you.
Good team members, management skills were lacking.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading2 December 2018
Working as a customer assistant was a good job. Team members are great and friendly. However managers would choose favourites and sometimes attitude were poor to other staff members. Booking holidays is difficult sometimes. Managers pressurise staff to hand out feedback and nitpick. Pay is good and receive 20% off for members and family.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Managers
A good place to work with friendly staff and a good attitude to putting the customer first.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire25 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working in Marks and Spencer, the staff were friendly and helpful and worked well together. I appreciated the training given and learnt a lot on the job helping out in different departments. A good place to work, particularly if you are taken on as permanent rather than temporary contract staff.
Pros
Good staff relations. Good store discount. Helpful training.
Lovely place to work.
Section Coordinator/ Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Exeter, Devon13 November 2018
Great rates of pay for all ages
Everyone genuinely wants you to do well and are very encouraging for development.
you can easily pick up more hours if needed.
I really enjoyed working at the Torquay Store
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Torquay12 November 2018
My employment at M&S was very stimulating. I left to retire but find I’m missing working in a team. I would like to be considered for a position again
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
Job availability
Challenging and difficult
Customer Assistant - Part Time (Former Employee) –  Hertford10 November 2018
The staff are very friendly however the job invovles long hours sitting on the tills without change as you are new. Have to date rotate all items and check each item has not gone out of date and maintain the store cleanliness.
Fun workplace
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ealing Broadway Station6 November 2018
Busy days when there was events going on.

Lovely people you worked with there was a few that had a different personality but you just had to enjoy what you done with them.

loved this job so there was nothing bad to say about it.
Productive work place.
Customer Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex30 October 2018
The team is fantastic. I loved working here - only down fall is it is very unorganised.

There were a few times that I didnt have a clue when I'd be working.
Pros
Excellent team
Cons
Unorganised
love you m&s
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire21 October 2018
Honestly loved working for this company, despite it being a part-time job. Definitely made me realise I did not want to work in retail but M&S as a company were endlessly good to me.
great workplace
Kew - Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 October 2018
M&S was a great place to work whilst in education. Management in the workplace was really supportive during times of change and allowed me to be flexible. During my time at M&S I tried to get a transfer but was un able to and this is the hardest part of the job as the whole process was unclear.
Not the greatest
Beauty Customer Assistant/Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London16 October 2018
Marks used to be a great company to work for. Unfortunately lately this has changed due to incredible requirements from the company, like giving them regularly your free-time to maybe suit their needs, but never yours. As well, managers do not treat staff with respect most of the times.
Awful Management and Miserable Atmosphere
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warwick15 October 2018
Although my hours were contracted to be the same each week and I had signed a contract based around these hours, managers would change these on the system at the last minute without warning and I would get in trouble for getting my shift wrong! They had no respect for their staff and clearly had no understanding that staff had a life outside of work. They also did not understand that University came first as a lot of the staff were students although they new this from interview stage. One manager asked me what my outside of work commitments were and when I stated uni she said 'oh is that all?'. I was not happy in this job and what made it worse was that it was a very middle/upper class store, with customers treating you as though you are inferior to them. I was constantly on a temporary contract which meant they had to power to terminate your employment with barely any notice and you would have no idea if you had a secure job month to month. Pay is also meant to increase once you've finished training but for the majority of staff, this didn't happen.
Pros
Staff discount, decent breaks, above minimum wage
Cons
Incompetent management, temporary contracts, early starts
Customer Assistant Store Operative (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh13 October 2018
People are treat diffrently. There's some culture pratising there and people are not treated equally and when you complain and query the ideal to turn to you, and start picking on you and most times say you're always murmuring, or been called too known.
Pros
20% staff dicount card
Cons
changing your work hours with notice, advertise £8.75 per hour and pay you £8 per hour when yo started.
Excellent work environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford13 October 2018
• Handle customer complaints and requests.
• Maintain aspirational standards for customers.
• Maintain a safe & legal working environment for colleagues and customers.
• Report writing and administrative duties.
• Awarded Spotlight STAR Award for August 2016.
Very fun to an extent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Shepherds Bush, Greater London11 October 2018
Very enjoyable especially working with peers.
Very different to a normal retail job.
Being able to handle deliveries to the store and from the store.
An excellent company to work for.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells, Kent10 October 2018
I spent a week on work experience, the staff were very supportive and trained me in all aspects of the work of the store. I would recommend this company to someone who wishes to learn about the workplace.
Customers Assistant (Current Employee) –  London5 October 2018
Really enjoyed it, friendly staff and environment. however alot of pressure can be out on you. The way is really good and it is an overall good company to work for with a lot of benefits for the staff. They also take care of customers I must say.
Pros
discount
Cons
new changes
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath4 October 2018
I enjoyed the people and thought the job was interesting; however some of the management were not always forthcoming with information and things often were inconsistent. There wasn't a lot of chances for advancement, but that suited me as I was only a part time employee due to being a student at the time
Pros
good discount, nice people
Cons
early starts, inconsistent management decisions
fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bexhill24 September 2018
good place to work part time, fun, lovely people, benefits are good. learned a lot about retail, not much career progression. get to meet some really nice people.
Pros
lovely staff
Cons
sometimes poor management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K