Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in Manchester

Good Place to Work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester14 May 2018
Great place to gain basic retail experience!
• Controlling and replenishing stock on the shop floor
• Assisting customers with any queries regarding products efficiently
• An understanding of visual merchandising within the store
• A greater knowledge of the company and the products selected by buyers
Treated like a slave
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester10 May 2018
The management is awful, even the hR manager is horrible and treats you awful. Soooooo under appreciated, also if you work nights you get 'time and a bit' which is just disgusting, I worked a 12 hour shift over xmass period. They 100% need to invest better in management. They work you like crazy for such low pay. Hardest part of the job is how cold it is and being on a till for 5 hours straight.
Cons
long hours, low pay, cold
christmas temp
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 March 2018
enjoyed working there at such a lovely time of year. I learnt how to use the tills and process debit and credit cards, how to exchange vouchers. The people who worked there were really friendly and helpful.
Pros
subsided canteen
Cons
temp job
Great Co
Finance (Former Employee) –  Manchester20 February 2018
Great Company who genuinely care about their staff and well being.

Great work-life balance. Varied role and good involvement with other offices and directors.
Pros
Work-Life balance, involved with the direction of the company.
Cons
Progression can be slow.
Fun
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester15 December 2017
Bad management no staff loyalty. Visual merchandising team treated like cleaners. No communication between different teams. No job perks like there used to be.
Productive with minimal communication.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 December 2017
I have really enjoyed working for M&S's HRSS department. I've met some amazing people in an office with a great productivity and vibrancy.
There is an issue of communication throughout this company. With every aspect of this job you find that communication is lacking from the store to every process of hiring.
The discount is good but the salary is minimal and the way that pay works is very inconvenient with dates and pre payments.
This job was a great stop gap, for training in hiring processes but I would not be interested in staying with the company long term.
Pros
Discount and Community
Cons
Communication and Technology
world wide company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Manchester22 November 2017
world wide company really known name to all of us
leared so much from M&S people are really cooperative and supportive loved working in the best envoirnment
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester11 November 2017
i worked at the Trafford centre m&s and the managerial team came across as nice but having worked there for the length i did, i came to realise they were fake and catty which resulted in me having to leave the company as more issues arise.
The work load is ok i guess. ever hour or two you change tasks, however if they see your particularly good at a task they tend to keep you on there most of the shift. For example because of my customer service they placed me on tills and self service for ever shift which became dull and draining having to stare at a screen for 8 hour shifts and you get a flat butt!
Pros
the salary
Cons
bad management
Productive workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester30 October 2017
As an evening member of the warehouse, duties would involve sorting the afternoon delivery for each department and locking up the building. There was much responsibility put upon you showing trust from the management and company. Getting everything to the floors, at a reasonable time and being on your feet all day, can be physically tiring. The late hours are a little unsociable.
Everyone at M&S is very warm and welcoming with greetings everyday and genuine friendships forged in every department. The workplace benefits for permanent and temporary employees offer many reductions in shopping and schemes to help save and buy easily and at affordable prices.
Pros
Discounted lunches in the canteen
Cons
Unsociable hours on the evening teams
nice coleagues
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 September 2017
company decent pay, people nice to work with
hours not great for people with families
the people are friendly here and I learned a lot from working with the experienced people
productive, fun work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester City Centre, Greater Manchester12 August 2017
As a summer job, it was quite fun to have people my age work there and the managers were supportive in the training and throughout my employment. I gained a lot of experience by given the opportunity to work in other departments.
fun working enviroment
Retail Assistant (Temporary part-time contract) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester7 July 2017
my typical day working at marks and spencers was busy and productive and there were many tests to test employes such as mystery shopper. working at m&s was very helpful towards my learning abillities
Pros
free lunches
Cons
salary
Good company overall to work for. Great people. Poor promotion
Assistant Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester27 June 2017
Great place to learn and develop skills in retail. Same basic day to day structure but actual day tasks exciting and varied.
Inconsistant management structure leading to poor opportunity to progress.
Pros
Staff discount.
Cons
Slow progression
Fun, Popular and an outstanding business to work for!
General Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester19 June 2017
My time with M&S was fantastic, i enjoyed every shift and got along with all members of staff and had a great experience. No task was proven to be difficult, and the work efficiency was outstanding
Pros
employee discount, holidays
Fun Place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester9 June 2017
A typical working day at Marks and Spencer is a day where everyone comes together and work as part of a team to get the stock out on the shop floor and working on the Till.
Good
Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester22 April 2017
- good place to work
- varied shift patterns to suit your personal life
- benefits
- great pension scheme
- 20% staff discount
- sharesave opportunity
Great Culture within leadership team
Commercial Manager within the Manchester Store (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester16 April 2017
Great work life balance
You are fully accountable
Great rewards
very supportive team
being part a successful team
reasonable requirements
great kris
A positive and happy place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester2 April 2017
Working for M&S was a very interesting experience. I thoroughly enjoyed working there. The management were very approachable and my colleagues were even more supportive and friendly.
We all made an impressive Events team, receiving many compliments from customers and management alike.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
No communication within the shop eg between different floor managers
Productive, Enjoyable
Floor Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester19 February 2017
My typical day was varied around the shop floor. I was on work placement so they gave me experience in most areas of work within the shop. I couldn't work on the tills as I was not 18. I worked on ambient shelf stacker, then the fruit and veg and also the freezers and fridges. I also got to work in the café where I cleaned tables and cleared plates.
The hardest part of the job was remembering to date rotation. I enjoyed working on ambient with my colleague, we got the job done and had fun at the same time.
The staff are welcoming and friendly.
Pros
free luches and coffee
Fun work place good break time
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester9 February 2017
I liked working at marks and Spencer's as it was a fun environment and all staff were treated fairly and wth respect, had good breaks and good pay very productive
Pros
Fun workplace
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K