Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in London

Sociable and productive workplace
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
A typical day included shelf stacking, stock take and cashiering duties.

Good management of the store: I was always allocated tasks within a reasonable time frame, was regularly informed when targets were hit and was praised for good work.

Friendly and sociable workplace where I felt valued and respected.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Inflexible hours
Productive experience
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch, London17 June 2018
A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with enquiries, displaying new merchandise, assisting tills and managing fitting rooms. The workplace community was very diverse as I was working with people from different age and ethnic groups.
productive
sales associate full time (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
At this position, I held a customer service position as well as a till assistant. I was also responsible for maintaining the existing financial systems. My responsibilities therefore included: handling cash, processing daily till count and organising banking via G4S collection while ensuring great customer service.
Pros
good discount
Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
Working n M&S has helped me gain a lot of insight of how a supermarket works and most importantly how to interact with customers. Dealing with customers has to be the most enticing aspect of the job as you meet various types of customers, which is mostly fun
very good
Team member (Former Employee) –  London6 June 2018
Stocking up the shelves
How to operate the shop floor
Everything is hard especially carrying heavy things but its good because it makes you strong.
Meeting new people and workers.
Pros
Discount
Cons
long hours and long standing.
team member
Team Member (Former Employee) –  london2 May 2018
good company to work for. i started as casual staff and they were scope for me to move to permanent staff. The people are very friendly and it is a goof atmosphere to work in.
Boring
Customer Service Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2018
Not my most favourite job role but not the worse job that I have done. Had to start very early. Forced to work under pressure and time scale. I was only there as a Christmas temp worker so literally did around 6 weeks work.
Pros
Till work relaxed
Cons
Pressured to work on time scale
Productive and Fast Paced
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Covent Garden13 April 2018
A typical day at work would consist of packing shelves, interacting with customers and helping checkout customers. I learned a great deal at M&S improving my customer service skills greatly.
Productive and busy workplace
Fire, Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 April 2018
My experience at Marks and Spencer was a good one. I learnt a lot of new skills. I was tasked as a key holder and responsible for the opening/closing and security of the store, which involved setting alarms and securing the building each evening.

Due to the nature of the business, you were constantly busy and always in demand, not necessarily just for your own role, but other roles throughout the business.

The Management were OK, a bit disorganised sometimes, where different managers had different policies which left staff in the crossfire.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a good staff set, training and retraining staff on Emergency Procedures, Evacuation and Fire Health and Safety rules.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Long Hours
Busy
Baker Street station - Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Motivated cashier who is highly energetic, outgoing and detail-oriented. Handles multiple responsibilities simultaneously while providing exceptional customer service. Quickly learns and masters new concepts and skills. Passionate about ensuring customers leave business with a positive experience.

Want to know more about Marks and Spencer?

Ask a question
was a good team
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
hate working weekends should be split between all ages. the old people got all the good hours but young people were stuck slaving all weekend instead of boogyin !!!!
Interesting summer
Internship (Former Employee) –  London5 April 2018
I spent a summer in M&S and I learned a lot about the food business in general. However I do think that the management at M&S is terrible. They still operate like they did 20 years ago and they are not open to new ideas brought by young people.
Nice little community
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London3 April 2018
Typical day- in the Cafe- serving customers on till and making drinks.
Learned how to make all types of coffee. Hardest part was dealing with complaints during busiest periods like Christmas. Most enjoyable was seeing regular customers and talking to them about life. :)
Pros
Nice vibe- cute little community
Cons
Management on your back constantly.
work experience
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London2 April 2018
I really don't remember too much about working here. It was a 2 week work experience roll and I was assigned basic duties such as restocking and dealing with customers
Worked to the bone and not appreciated
Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 March 2018
The worst company to work for. Management are coming in so young , some have never worked on a shop floor before. Management are never on the shop floor which led to relying on assistants to run the floor in their absence. Confidential information was never kept confidential. Staff where miserable as management always made us feel like we weren’t good at our jobs. If you where off sick or have medical problems they question everything even when you have a letter from the doctor. Being compared to other members of staff that are off sick is the norm. Over all impression of the Marks and Spencer’s is poor and not to the employment law.
Pros
Regular Customers
Cons
Unpleasant and inadequate management
Aggressive in their approach
NA (Former Employee) –  London, Paddington22 March 2018
Worked for M&S in a fast-paced IT transformational programme with a huge amount of pressure placed on everyone. This is understandable when millions are at stake, however found them aggressive, with no care or consideration placed on staff and suppliers.

They would accept nothing less than long hours and blood!

On a positive note, the opportunity was amazing and I learnt an enormous amount. Everyone was in it together. Great team effort and great morale, even through the many rough times.
Great workplace and environment
Digital Marketing (Current Employee) –  London20 March 2018
Great people who work together very well. The office and environment is also super. A bit of work needed on getting our business focus right, but innovative change hopefully on the way.
ambiente laboral professional
Atención al Cliente (Former Employee) –  Londres16 March 2018
Profunda ética
laboral y óptima gestión del tiempo.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bank, London13 March 2018
I worked in the big M&S in Bank, it was all ways busy. All the staff where friendly and helpful, and it was very easy for me to settle in. There was a lot of movement and I would often need to cover different departments.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Not enough hours, and not much room for growth.
Too Much Favouritism
Customer advisor - full time (Former Employee) –  London12 March 2018
People do work and some people slack but theres no assertiveness, there is more favouritism, if they like you you do not have to do much and if they don't like your doing the most work.
Pros
money
Cons
management

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K