Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in London

great work place
Customer service (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 September 2018
Always busy, always learning new things and chances to progress in the work place.
Good friendly staff, many students as hours are good and flexible.
Pros
always busy
great
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 September 2018
great place to work with a simple straight forward role. it allows me to do the work i was set out to do. didnt always get the support that was required, and the line management was not of the highest caliber meaning there wasn't always the necessary support.
Pros
left to do work
Cons
repetitive
productive
Hospitality Staff (Former Employee) –  London11 September 2018
marks and spencer is a good job however its difficult for student in college as the job is not flexible. additionally they do pay well and r understandable for people with families.
Pros
beautiful pay
Cons
not flexible for students in college
Very bad place where you can work
Sale Assistant (Former Employee) –  London9 September 2018
The store look nice but behind you will see a lot of horrible things. The manager walk around and it will let you do everything. They use you like an animal, and they do a lot of favoritism.
Pros
nothing
Cons
everything
used to be fun but the company has changed
Assistant Manager Store Operations (Current Employee) –  London7 September 2018
when i first joined marks and spencer it was a decent company but now its just like any other supermarket which of course marks and spencer inspires to be more than that
Pros
discount
Cons
poor leadership
Sales Assistant (Full-time) (Former Employee) –  London28 August 2018
Great place to work wish i never left, ensure training is done not copied, fun work place. Always active great managers, i feel this company showed me how to work in compliance with company rules/process
Pros
Great staff
Large head office
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London20 August 2018
Lots of good benefits and friendly people. Had international presence and gave exposure to lots of different roles. Lots of staff but still felt valued as an individual.
Pros
subsidised lunches
the salary is really good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London19 August 2018
working at the store in Stratford was amazing the whole staff was amazing but when I moved to the Croyden store I dreaded coming everyday I just didn't feel happy working there then my phone got stolen and when it did get handed in i wasn't told who had taken it
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible people at the croyden store
Good store management
Deputy Store Manager & Section Manager Foods (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 August 2018
Good store management but business not good at listening to employees.
Good level of progression from advisor level but as soon as your a manager its difficult to move upwards.
Always announcing something new in processes or management structures which is often demotivating.
Pros
staff discount
Cons
Good pay, easy going work place
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  London14 August 2018
Enjoyed my time working M&S. Only disadvantage was that they didn't keep me on as a permanent employee because a few Marks and Spencer stores closed down, and therefore my job was given to a permanent employee of M&S.
enjoyable
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
• Provided brilliant customer service and made every customers’ experience special; shown through multiple customer survey reviews for which I was rewarded
• Fine-tuned my knowledge and developed my expertise in customer service
• Used product knowledge to aid customers in deciding on the best product for their needs and desires
• Built strong relationships with customers which encouraged them to return to the store as their previous experience was always great
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hourss
good place of work
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  London12 August 2018
My time here is excellent I enjoyed every bit of it until I left to pursue a new career. All the people were very nice to work with and the pay was good
Exciting environment to work in
Work experience clerk (Former Employee) –  London paddington10 August 2018
Loved my work experience here, very interesting building lots of different depts to work in and see how marks and Spencer is run, reception very busy and interesting,
Pros
Company are very good to staff, staff discount, restaurant etc
Cons
Didn’t work there long as only 2weeks experience while at school
Boring and not very diverse
Work experience at M & S (Former Employee) –  London1 August 2018
Long boring hours and i only saw 2 brown people no word of a lie... I would say that everyone was very polite and friendly but thats it... Not much to say
Pros
Food upstairs in staff room, lockers
Cons
Long and boring
Very hectic
Team Member (Former Employee) –  London29 July 2018
Being a food store inside a railway station, it can get very hectic and challenging during peak hours and weekends. But the supervisors are super friendly and helpful.
Workplace
Customer Assistant - Bakery (Former Employee) –  London25 July 2018
I worked in all areas of the store. I worked in the bakery, customer service, tasting and store operations. There is a lot to lean there I enjoyed expanding my knowledge and skills.
Productive and organised workplace
Customer Assistant - Food and Menswear departments (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London18 July 2018
Management were very organised and allocated me with work throughout the shift. I learnt how to display my personality to the fullest, engaging with different types of customers and colleagues in order to provide excellent customer service and to do the job to my best abilities. The hardest part of the job initially was certain situations that needed multitasking, but I quickly adapted to this and was able to take on many activities in one go with experience. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people (colleagues and customers) and having the positive impact of helping and serving customers.
Pros
20% discount on M&S food and clothing
Cons
Short breaks and not being payed for breaks
The worst place ever
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Chiswick18 July 2018
I worked in Chiswick food store; despite agreeing my working hours almost everyday forced to do more. The atmosphere is horrible, floor coordinator is swearing at employees and giving confusing and conflicting orders. No time to do anything like date checks so being blamed after for missing items which are passed dates. Management not interested in resolving issues. Overall far away from excellent customer service, the store in general having many problems. Everyone stay away from this location.
Pros
Cons
Many
typical day
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  London17 July 2018
a rewarding place to work with many challenges, every day you learn something new and experience something different with the product knowledge and different customers.
Pros
trying new products
Cons
shifts
Proud to say I work for M&S
Store Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London17 July 2018
Having worked for M&S since I first started in employment it has suppported me through my A Levels and Degree. I had never imagined that a career in retail management would be the one for me but my natual ability to lead a team was quickly identified and I progressed throughout the company over the next 10 years. I enjoy the fact that I never clock watch, there aren't enough hours in the day and historically I liked that challenge. However, now with the retail industry becoming tougher and tougher, particularly in stores I have started to lose the buzz I one had for retail and for M&S.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K