Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in Leeds

A fast pace, targets driven environment with loyal staff
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire5 July 2018
People Leadership is the core of your day to day job and you strive to support your team to deliver the KPIs and sell to the customer.

A typical day will involve holding team huddles to set up the day, reviewing sales and service information. Based on this we will set targets, discuss actions and walk the sales floor to understand what the customer is seeing. We may make stock moves, change selling tactics, seek to upskill the team as part of the actions.

The most enjoyable part of the job is celebrating success when the team has delivered its targets and for me personally coaching and developing people to realise new skills and get excited about what they've learnt.

The hardest part would be the limitations placed on the store to trade by Policy, Head Office and Stock. The over complication of KPI measurement and bureaucratic communications on a daily basis can hinder the core of the day job.
Pros
Staff Discount. Generally can leave 'the job' at work. Staff Teams
Cons
Long Hours. Weekend Work. Weak Salary compared to role expectations
fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds26 June 2018
I learnt great teamwork skills and enjoyed a typical day at work. Working in a team to provide the best possible customer experience was the best part o working at marks and spencer.
Organised workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds1 June 2018
Both the shop and the supermarket were always kept nice and organised making it very accessible to everyone. Everyone within the management were all very nice and happily helped me settle in the new environment.
Productive work place.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Leeds28 March 2018
looking for a costumer assistant job in order to get more experience. I am able to work independently and under pressure. I am a hardworking and highly motivated person.
great job
Marks & Spencer - all-around staff member (Former Employee) –  Leeds22 January 2018
nice cosy and fun. not to difficult or labour intensive. have fun and work. if you enjoy retail and clothing ect then this is the job for you. i did the early shift and it was very nice to work.
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire17 January 2018
I enjoyed my time as a Customer Service Advisor, the team was friendly and the customers where easy to talk too and mostly enjoyed my job. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fun workplace
Shop floor worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds8 December 2017
Something that stood out to me during my short time here was the excellent standard of staff treatment, all members of staff were given lunch allowances etc. and management were fair and kind in their interactions with us. This made for good workplace morale creating a friendly environment making even the longest days easier.
Pros
meal allowances, discounts
Okay
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds21 November 2017
I was a customer assistant at marks and spencer’s for just short of nine months this entailed working within a team, using effecting communication and working closely with customers.
Supervisor/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 October 2017
Marks and Spencer is a pride, good place to work, good discount and good food. Always give best service to customer as very are all about "Make every moment special" (MENS)
Good
Store Operative (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire20 September 2017
Working at Mark's an Spencer was a good experience. Staff an employee's were very friendly an welcoming. The pay could of been better but overall it was decent.
Cons
No bonuses
A solid retailer that cares for its staff
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire12 September 2017
Retail has changed a lot over the last 20 years. As a result M&S has had to adapt and change to keep pace with online sales and other retailers. There is a great culture at M&S, but this is being impacted by longer working hours, later shifts, more weekend working. Great products and very friendly staff.
Pros
20% Discount, Friendly staff, Supportive culture
Cons
Flexible hours, weekend working unsocial shifts. Relatively poor pay.
ok
X-mas Temp (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire20 July 2017
this job was stacking shelves and making sure nothing was running low. the bonuses at christmas was great and got alot of discount on the food at christmas
Good as a job you can leave and not have to think until the next day.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire18 July 2017
Good job if you want a variety of duties. Lots of social outings if you like that life. Remember- The Customer is Always Right! Good place to work and all colleges are very positive.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Productive and fun work place
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds28 June 2017
This is a great job working with colleagues to ensure a brilliant working enviroment welcoming customers and helping eachother. The pay is also very good per hour and always offer extra hours if needed
Nice people and enjoyable job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Leeds24 June 2017
Fun and enjoyable working atmosphere with nice people and relatively easy tasks. Long hours (9 on a Sunday) and temporary contracts lack clarity on their length and pay is often messed up.
Good
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leeds20 June 2017
worked there as a student, good pay, fun role, always doing different task, but good wage for a student, shifts are good as well ,management very supportive.
nice pay, good hours
CUSTOMER ASSISTANT/OPERATIONS (Current Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire25 May 2017
Nice environment in a simply foods store. High pressure on management funnels down to staff and creates an unappealing workplace when auditors and higher bosses are pressuring the store to preform. Otherwise good, with nice pay and benefits.
Pros
discount card
Cons
hard work
ok
Sales Assistant; (Former Employee) –  Leeds23 May 2017
typical retail job, nothing special

managers are up their own stools

staff are nice

training is indated

nothing really more i can say about this company
Pros
breaks
Cons
rude manager
Lovely workplace
Customer Assistant Womenswear (Current Employee) –  Leeds10 April 2017
I genuinely love working here at Marks and Spencer. All the staff are friendly and trustworthy. Being part of the team at the Briggate Store is a great place to work on a daily basis. I enjoy coming to work!

The management are amazing and truly care about the team they look after! I have massively improved on my customer service skills by working here, I have lots of confidence especially when you are in an positive environment with lots of people who will help you if you're not sure about anything.
Pros
Staff discount!
Cons
Can be very stressful during sale times as its insanely busy!
hard work daily
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Leeds, West Yorkshire6 April 2017
i say the cleaning team is fantastic every one is friendly and hard working the floor was huge so i took my time doing the work and every day was different

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K