Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in Glasgow

Found 75 reviews matching the search See all 4,776 reviews
horrible unless you've been there for years
Sales Assistant (Temp) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 November 2018
i worked in Sauchiehall Street marks and spencers and it was a horrible environment. the people that worked there didnt want to work there, there were so many temporary young people (like me) worried about what to do about money after, they told you lies about keeping you on, and the best of it all is the managers are bullies
it was my first job, and they gave me barely any training and threw me out to the shop floor to work. i said "what do i do" and the woman who trained me said "ask someone on the floor" and darted off
dont have good memories from here. more panic attacks were had than i should of had. not a nice place
i enjoyed meeting a lot of different people as a lot of different people do come into the job. i did take away some things to learn like talking to customers and being on a shop floor with customers etc.
you should never feel scared to walk into your job, ever
Pros
met some good people
Cons
literally everything i said
A good place to work
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  Glasgow29 October 2018
Haven’t worked for M&S for many years, but I enjoyed my time with the company. Staff were always well looked after with free uniform, discount and fair working hours.
Pros
Many staff perks ie. discount and uniform
Cons
Retail hours can be unsociable
Ok
Sales assisant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 August 2018
Marks and spencers were good to work for. I would definetly recommend them as a first time employer. Silverburn was where I worked. Give it a bash! Good Luck!
loved it!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow27 July 2018
I loved working for Marks and Spencers, from the staff that I worked with to the customers I helped. It was a great job. Meeting a wide range of people every day and dealing with whatever enquiries they had and also developing great relationships with staff that are now long time friends! Fantastic company with fantastic opportunities.
marks and spencers
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow25 July 2018
I enjoyed working as a temp christmas employee for Marks and spencers. It was my first job at age of 16 and the salary was good for starting out . Was fun to work with them
oppressive and depressing
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 July 2018
I work in the Byres Road store in Glasgow. the store is very short staffed so there is always a lot of work to do, on some days there are more managers in store than actual sales staff on the shop floor. the management talk a good game but fail to deliver, for example after being asked our opinion on some new ways of working that has been implemented some of the staff got taken to the office and told if the didn't like it they could resign. On the whole staff moral in store is rock bottom. It is also expected of you to do extra hours rarely even getting asked before your rota is changed
Pros
general staff and customers are all very friendly
Cons
managment couldn't care less about the staff
Fun and Productive
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow2 July 2018
I really enjoyed working at m&s! the staff were really friendly and the work environment was productive. the only thing i'd say is that they need more employees and should till train more people.
Pros
Free Lunches, Kind Staff
Cons
Not enough staff
Great job
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow2 June 2018
I enjoyed this job as everyday was productive, there was always something to keep busy with and enjoyed working alongside the public, gained many great customer service skills
Great money but being on tills for 8 hours straight kills you
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 May 2018
The benefits and salary were really good but there was a sort of heirarchy with the people who worked different departments. If you werent pushing the credit card Marks has on customers then you were useless to them and lowkey got told off.
Pros
Moneyyyy
Cons
Youll want to die
Productive and fun workplace
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow21 March 2018
Great place to work. Nice staff, interesting work. Good pay, goof hours. Welcoming environment. Overall good working experience. Would recommend working there.
productive, busy yet very enjoyable to work there.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 January 2018
Very lovely people, fast past job but enjoyable and different from previous job in a positive way. Management was excellent and treated very well with great benefits.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow1 January 2018
Working for M&S was fun and I learned a lot of new skills. I learned how to make coffees The rest of the staff i worked with were friendky and approachable. I most enjoyed the fast paced work environment we were in.
rude and arrogant management
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow22 December 2017
barely even get a hello from managers, they grunt orders at you and complain you're not working fast enough
seems impossible to take a holiday as well, very difficult atmosphere to work in
Pros
staff discount
productive, punctuality, continuity
Part time Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  glasgow, United Kingdom25 November 2017
It was a great place to work with this company, it gave me the platform to learn about customer's nature and satisfy them accordingly. I learned the safety procedures at work there.
good
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow12 November 2017
it was fun working with them. And I loves the manager. I enjoyed workimh in the fitting rooms and hearing the ladies gossip,it was such a fun time and I loved the manager especially.
Pros
free snacks
Cons
working under pressure
cafe
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 October 2017
I worked in the coffee shop for 2 and half years and learned how to make speciality coffees and teas.
M&s is a good company to work for.
If you would like to further your career you can move up th chain with hard work.
Pros
nothing, 20% discount
Great
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow17 October 2017
Working for marks and spencers was great as i learned a lot due to being given a chance to work in all different areas of the store. Management were lovely and were always there to help.
Talks a good game but does not deliver
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 September 2017
Love the people I work with and the pay is good however we all agree that the managers talk a good game but in general do not fix any issues that arise, caring more about money than the happiness of their workers. Financial problems within the company mean a lot of my colleagues have been let go/had their hours cut while other workers within the store are being made to work 10 days in a row without rest as they cannot afford to train new staff. A friend of mine was even offered a job-turning down other job offers they had received so that they could work at M&S-which was pulled at the last minute as the company suddenly decided that they couldn't afford them. Not what it used to be. Very few people I work with are happy with what the company has become.
Pros
Colleagues are great
Cons
Heavily understaffed, managers take advantage
Fast paced and challenging environment
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 September 2017
Professional and highly regarded organisation. Plenty of autonomy and opportunities to put ideas forward. Good career enhancement opportunities with plenty of internal promotions evident. Culture and way of doing things can be a bit inward looking and insular at times.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Hours can be long
Family and fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 September 2017
For me it was like i entered a second family! I was working really hard but the environment and the managers made it look really easy and enjoying. We were always working in professional way but we always had our time to have fun during working hours, cause customers need to see us happy and friendly with each others in order to feel safe and happy about being in our Super market.
Pros
Fun, family-like environment, punctuate to the shifts
Cons
no free lunch

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K