Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in Glasgow

Great money but being on tills for 8 hours straight kills you
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow16 May 2018
The benefits and salary were really good but there was a sort of heirarchy with the people who worked different departments. If you werent pushing the credit card Marks has on customers then you were useless to them and lowkey got told off.
Pros
Moneyyyy
Cons
Youll want to die
productive, busy yet very enjoyable to work there.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow5 January 2018
Very lovely people, fast past job but enjoyable and different from previous job in a positive way. Management was excellent and treated very well with great benefits.
Productive and fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow1 January 2018
Working for M&S was fun and I learned a lot of new skills. I learned how to make coffees The rest of the staff i worked with were friendky and approachable. I most enjoyed the fast paced work environment we were in.
rude and arrogant management
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow22 December 2017
barely even get a hello from managers, they grunt orders at you and complain you're not working fast enough
seems impossible to take a holiday as well, very difficult atmosphere to work in
Pros
staff discount
productive, punctuality, continuity
Part time Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  glasgow, United Kingdom25 November 2017
It was a great place to work with this company, it gave me the platform to learn about customer's nature and satisfy them accordingly. I learned the safety procedures at work there.
cafe
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow25 October 2017
I worked in the coffee shop for 2 and half years and learned how to make speciality coffees and teas.
M&s is a good company to work for.
If you would like to further your career you can move up th chain with hard work.
Pros
nothing, 20% discount
Great
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow City Centre, Glasgow17 October 2017
Working for marks and spencers was great as i learned a lot due to being given a chance to work in all different areas of the store. Management were lovely and were always there to help.
Talks a good game but does not deliver
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 September 2017
Love the people I work with and the pay is good however we all agree that the managers talk a good game but in general do not fix any issues that arise, caring more about money than the happiness of their workers. Financial problems within the company mean a lot of my colleagues have been let go/had their hours cut while other workers within the store are being made to work 10 days in a row without rest as they cannot afford to train new staff. A friend of mine was even offered a job-turning down other job offers they had received so that they could work at M&S-which was pulled at the last minute as the company suddenly decided that they couldn't afford them. Not what it used to be. Very few people I work with are happy with what the company has become.
Pros
Colleagues are great
Cons
Heavily understaffed, managers take advantage
Fast paced and challenging environment
HR Business Partner (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 September 2017
Professional and highly regarded organisation. Plenty of autonomy and opportunities to put ideas forward. Good career enhancement opportunities with plenty of internal promotions evident. Culture and way of doing things can be a bit inward looking and insular at times.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Hours can be long
Family and fun work environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow7 September 2017
For me it was like i entered a second family! I was working really hard but the environment and the managers made it look really easy and enjoying. We were always working in professional way but we always had our time to have fun during working hours, cause customers need to see us happy and friendly with each others in order to feel safe and happy about being in our Super market.
Pros
Fun, family-like environment, punctuate to the shifts
Cons
no free lunch
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Glasgow17 August 2017
An enjoybale job with useful benefits all year round. Friendly colleagues and also a respected management set up. Very accommodating with other factors in life i.e university, coaching etc Great to interact with different individuals on a day to day basis, providing a helping hand.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  glasgow12 June 2017
My time at Marks and Spencer was enjoyable. I found it a nice place to work with reasonable pay for the work I was asked to do. I found the store that I worked in to be well managed.
past it's sell by date
sales (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow11 May 2017
the company is well overdue a complete overhaul.
too many senior people working there.
they really need to shape up and let younger people have a job oppourtunity.
Pros
the staff
Cons
corporate mentality, too much emphasis on upselling, bullying
Fun and productive work place
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 May 2017
Always stayed busy
The workplace was under control
Hardest part of the job was making sure everything was where it needed to be
The most enjoyable part was getting to know the store and working in a team
Pros
Free lunches
Marks and Spencer
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow2 May 2017
Marks and Spencer was an amazing place to work with amazing colleagues that you can instantly connect with... However due to the nature of a fixed term contract there was no job security and after having my contract extended 3 times it was finally terminated.
Pros
good pay
Cons
No job security
Busy and challenging
Customer Assistant (Temporary, Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow3 April 2017
Hard work for not much gratidtude anf no job advancement. focus on customer numbers over customer service. Management unfeeling and cut off from floor staff
Fun
Section Leader (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 March 2017
It's a great place to work and has rewarding benefits. I've worked in many areas within the company and would recommend anyone to start a career within the company.
Pays the bills but not a career
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow22 February 2017
Poor Management with no discipline or pride for work carried out. Very much a case of clocking in, keeping your head down and clocking out.
Very efficient
Finance Manager (Former Employee) –  Glasgow / Paisley/ Ayr /Head Office31 January 2017
I worked with Marks & Spencer for 23 years started as sales assistant gradually into Financial Management .I have great respect for the company and learned all my skills through my years with them . When I left it was through ill health and would go back to work for them at any opportunity there was .
Pros
Excellent Lunches
Cons
Hours of work could vary
it can be the same jobs you do everyday
Section Manager and customer advisor (Current Employee) –  Glasgow16 January 2017
everyday you do the same things and it can get a bit boring
it is a good job at times but if you are looking for a challenge it might not be the best job for that.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
days to similar to each other days

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K