Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews in Castle Donington

The worst place ever!
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire7 June 2018
Friends and family - that's what counts when it comes to hiring people. No skills, experience or education needed if you only have connections. Hard work and dedication never to be recognised or rewarded. Nepotism, personal ambitions and no team players within all levels of management ruin the meaning of "customer comes first" policy. Be aware!
My review
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire30 May 2018
A normal day is go to work pack the orders go home. I have learned a lot over the 4-5 years of being there & over that time the management has got worse in some areas. You hardly see them during the day so if you have a problem takes ages to get a solution or just to make enquires.
The job isn't that hard just very tedious & being in one place for long periods of time on your feet can be very draining. Also gets very warm within the building even though they have air conditioning apparently which is very poor compared to other buildings.
I do enjoy most of the people I work with & that's got to be the most enjoyable part of my job but most of the time I feel like a robot on a fixed programme to be honest.

I wouldn't recommend working there to anybody. If your a student or live at home then not a bad p[lace to work but if you have a family then its not family friendly on hours.
Pros
Benefits, Rate of pay
Cons
Long Hours, poor management
Staff not at the heart of what they do
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire28 May 2018
April 2017.

Hello M&S colleagues, we currently work 8 hour shifts, but next month, we’re moving to 12 hour shifts!

What’s that? You get the bus to work? Your days are going to be 14 hours long and you are going to be extremely tired? You fit your 8-hour day around your children’s educational needs? Find another job!

By the way, because of this change, we won’t be able to attract many agency staff, therefore over Christmas you’ll all have to work 48 hour weeks, all at single pay!

Work levels at Christmas low. Can we have a half day? No. We're going to send the agency staff we do have, who really need the money, home instead! What’s that? It’s 2 in the morning and they have no means to get home? That’s their problem!

By the way, tomorrow there is a change of shift, instead of working 6-6 we're all on 11-11. What's that? You've got family? Childcare? You're studying? Medical appointments? Going out? Social life? You're moaning we've given you less than 24 hours notice? Do the shift! Otherwise you'll trigger an absence and lose your right to a pay increase and bonus!

Oh yeah, by the way, because all of our knackered staff are now taking lots of time of work to recover, we’re really tightening up our absence policy! Who cares about you!
Pros
Fair salary for the job it is
Cons
Change from 8 hour shifts to 12 hour shifts
Productive and learnt new skills.
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire16 May 2018
A typical shift at work was very busy and productive which I enjoyed as I like being busy. Whilst working for Marks and Spencer's I learned how to effectively manage my time as I had to work within a time limit. As this was my first job I learned numerous skills in which I can now use effectively in my career. I also learned to take on board instructions and learning to work alongside other colleagues.

The workplace culture was diverse as I worked with a range of people from different backgrounds which Marks and Spencers pride themselves on with great customer service being their key message.

The hardest part of the job was maintaining momentum during quieter periods of the working day. The most enjoyable part of this job learning new skills and meeting new people. Also, giving me aspirations for my career going forward.
Pros
good internal benefits e.g. canteen was subsidised
Cons
Long days
worst place
Warehouse Team Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire15 May 2018
Worst place where to work,
almost every manager trying to stab other people in back only for they own benefits, dont see any options to progress only if you are mates with manager.
Inventing a M&S engineer.
Engineering team manager (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington22 February 2018
Moving M&S into the .Com world, and facing the challenges of contractual deliverables was no mean feat. The net result was a commitment by M&S to deliver an in-house engineering solution for their flagship[p DC at Castle Donington.
This presented every conceivable issue, as M&S is a retailer, and has not had in house engineers. As a result, the delivery of their team was a from scratch ground up build, with the most significant challenges resting within the business itself, and education of the existing retail world as to what an engineering team would deliver.
Pros
New build site, with lots of third party involvement.
Cons
Long hours and concept frustrations.
Pick pack
picking and packing (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington25 December 2017
Very cleaver Warehouse with good feature for people very easy job good chance for the students or for young people to grow to adults u get paid weekly on time
Pros
Free coffe
Cons
Great Staff but appaling when it comes to management .
Team manager, (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire10 October 2017
Avoid at all cost great staff but poor high management no progression and stupid 12hr rota .... shame as Marks and Spencer should and could be a good place to work .
Pros
Staff
Cons
Applainging higher management. No progrestion.
warehouse operative
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire3 October 2017
absolutely loved working here the 8 hour night shift with your friends went so quick, i used to always do overtime sometimes working 7 days straight because i enjoyed it that much, it did end my relationship working all the hours but that did not bother me because i enjoyed the atmosphere and buzzing vibe i got for working there, i only left because of family commitments at the time and my dad was passing away otherwise i think id still be working there 4 years on even some of my good mates still work there after all these years
Pros
great job
Cons
nothing
Team Manager (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire3 August 2017
Good place to work, profedional managment, culture a bit different, good benefit package, KPI focused, health and safety first, HR support really good.
What I learn
Packer/Picker (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire21 July 2017
Inspecting all garments, ensuring all garments are made to a high standard.
Checking all seams, pockets and zippers to process to the labelling/packing department.
Any faulty items were recorded and passed on to the Management team to improve on the training of machinists. Always maintaining high standards for the company
Cons
10 hours
was good but dull
Coach (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire23 June 2017
every day was the same with no real area of progression. had to leave as tasks to mundane. good level of pay for what jobs were required. But have to be head strong to do the same thing day in day out.
Pros
pay
Cons
bordom
Very good place to work
Outbound Administrator (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire2 June 2017
My first job in UK and very good experience. Company helps with progress to whose wants to do more. Job is easy, safe and enjoyable. Salary is very good. Cheap cafeteria. Helpful management. Balanced workload.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Dirty toilets
Productive at busy times
Contract Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, UK9 May 2017
Brilliant hours and pay and good overtime rates - brilliant and very friendly co-workers - freshly made meals on breaks. Keeps you very active and happy
Temp to perm contract
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire3 May 2017
The warehouse was just starting out we expected high standards of operations and management due to it being M&S and were disappointed.

Other than that the pay was above average for the same type of work elsewhere.
Pros
Pay
Cons
No accountability for work done
productive and fun work place
Picker and Packer (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire12 April 2017
it was a fun place to work the staff was really helpful and the experience was amazing just seeing how things are run in the warehouse of marks and spencers
Pros
free hot drinks
Not enough work
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington, UK10 April 2017
Do not get enough shifts. I work for blue arrow the agency, i enjoy what i am doing but i need more shifts to pay my outgoings so i require more hours.
this has been a experience
Health and safety champion / first time fixer (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington7 April 2017
working for marks and spencer has been a varied experience in learning and interpersonal skills I enjoyed the training and all of the courses and career development I received.
Pros
Excellent team experience
Operative Support M&S and Inventory Operator Admin (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire29 March 2017
Good team environment you will always work as a team and get support from your colleagues.

You can improve your skills as longer you are working at M&S and they are investing in your job career if they know you have a match skills specking from you.

M&S always consider the customer the first priority and they are always look after them, around warehouse you can find variety of management workers such as Team shift Manager, Team Leaders, Team Coordinators, Trainers, Coaches, Operatives Supports, Elves supports and others they make your task easy to be done.

M&S have given many job offers for a lot of people or families are need to work.

I have worked at M&S and involved with some task rolls, I did not have any hard department to work because anywhere you attend to complete your task the coach department will ensure can you do the task properly.
Pros
Staff Discount card and other benefits
Run by an out of date policy
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire4 March 2017
M&S has a very high turn over of staff as the management doesn't seem to be bothered about the welfare of staff and chance of progression is nearly non-existent .

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K