Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Boring
Customer assistance (Current Employee) –  Reading17 February 2018
.Workplace was dull and there was no enthusiasm management was very contradictory and would rather watch you work then assist you when busy They wouldn't take time o assist you with things either
Pros
staff discount
Cons
work social life
Fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 February 2018
Its lovely to work in Marks and Spencer.The best team member and very much helpful.overall the full team is work so hard.there management is amazing,and we help each other a loads.
Pros
we bring every week food for al staffs.
Cons
sometimes long hour, sometimes less
fun workplace
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  reading16 February 2018
fun workplace, people are nice and friendly, however, if you wanted any time off it was hard, but if they wanted you to work extra its no problem. That's the only issue. Working at m&s is a treat otherwise.
Pros
lovely people
Cons
easy going place to work
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 February 2018
Loved working at M&S. Because I'm quite easy going I don't pay attention to rude customers or staff however a lot of my colleagues disliked the way they were treated by customers. Management could be better but overall a good place to work out and you get enough salary to be able to ignore the customers.
Caring and lovely people who work there
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Banbury, Oxfordshire15 February 2018
I done my work experience at Marks and Spencer’s and it’s amazing there all the workers are supportive and helpful I didn’t want to leave when the work experience was over as I enjoyed it so much . I want to do my work in the future and start in part time the hopefully go into full time.
Pros
Caring people
fun workplace
Store Operations (Former Employee) –  Redditch15 February 2018
good job and always something to do. good discount for family and yourself. its very enjoyable and a fun place too work at. always something to do as always busy.
Amazing place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire14 February 2018
A typical day at work would be maintaining standards and serving customers when or if they needed any assistance, i learned how to communicate better with staff and customers and thoroughly enjoyed my time there.
Pros
Meeting new people, customer service skills, good salary.
Cons
contract ending
Fast pace
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Former Employee) –  Harrow14 February 2018
Training given straight away they want their staff to be trained
uniform is given very quickly
good salary
very professional
staff were great and welcoming
Enjoyable workplace
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands14 February 2018
Extremely fast paced which is fantastic as your day just goes so fast,
very demanding job which I loved keeps you on your toes.
Great people to work with.
University Project
Student (Former Employee) –  Ravensbourne University14 February 2018
The project was to reinvent packaging for flowers and their range of Indian cuisine.

The project lasted 3 months and was reviewed by the head of packaging Marks and Spencer packaging, at the time.

Want to know more about Marks and Spencer?

Ask a question
horrible job
Baker (Former Employee) –  Peterborough14 February 2018
over worked seriously underpaid and unsupported by management, not enough staff to do the job and although there were plenty of promises made to get this sorted any new staff that came in were always put to work in the café rather than the bakery leaving the whole department to be run by 2 people 7 days a week
Pros
Cons
poor management
beneficial
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Middlesbrough13 February 2018
working for marks and spencers benefited me greatly as i gained retail experience and a great wage whilst studying. sadly i was only temporary and left after christmas but is great for cv experience.
Pros
bonus, food, hours
Cons
long shifts
Good experience
Department Manager (Former Employee) –  Bexleyheath, Greater London12 February 2018
Managing the team, always willing to train the staff, lots of training and courses available.
Senior management were the only let down, unmanaged from above.
Well managed and supportive store.
Operations/ Backstage (Current Employee) –  Deal12 February 2018
Everyone is expected and carry out all tasks correctly with help from all colleagues which includes the managers. The day starts at 06:30hrs where the morning stock is delivered in where team members segregate the foods onto the correct aisle for other teams to stock up. I learnt to work as part of a team switching roles and helping in different areas each day so I will be able to carry out any separate tasks in the future. Management will make sure everything is running smoothly and will lend a hand to different tasks at hand to
support the various teams throughout the store.
The culture of the Deal store is focused around support of each other and making best use of team members skills set.

The hardest part of the day is the morning rush, ensuring that the shop floor is at the highest standard for when the store opens. Even when deliveries arrive late, we are able to work together to ensure the usual high standard for our customers.

Around 15:00hrs once the lunch time rush has calmed, we have time to evaluate the day and set new goals for the coming days, staying focused on future tasks and targets.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Early starts with a short shift
Good company
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bromley12 February 2018
Good company to work for work hours can be long and tiring and can get quite busy. They have great discounts for staff and loads of end of day bargains to take advantage off.
Pros
good incentive
Cons
long shifts
One of the leading companies in UK
3.Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Swindon12 February 2018
Best place to learn retail market.

The company is known for their excellent quality products and service.

Good training and good management.

Lots of employee benefits and good chances for promotion
Pros
Good products and customer support
Cons
Open 7 days a week
Positive environment but some poor communication
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Plymouth12 February 2018
Working at Marks and Spencer was an overall positive experience and I came away from it feeling I had learnt a lot more about working in a retail environment. I was temporary staff, however I was hoping to be kept on. Whilst working there, there was a lot of talk about whether or not temporary staff would be kept on. Some people would tell me that they usually keep most temporary staff on and other people told me that they would not be keeping any temporary staff on. This confused the situation slightly so I was not sure how secure my position was. In the end I was not kept on, whilst I know other people who were.
My position in the store didn't give me much opportunity to be recognised for my efforts. Despite the fact that I never took a day off sick and I always volunteered for overtime hours, I was just outside the store so management often did not know me or recognise me.
Despite that, I don't regret working for Marks and Spencer. I simply think that I was put in an unfortunate role. On the days that I was working inside the store, I enjoyed it very much. I never felt too pressured or rushed and management were often very helpful and would guide you on how to do something if you were not sure.
Please note that you will also not get equal pay to other colleagues until you have been working there for 6 months.
Pros
20% staff discount
Cons
Large store so lack of recognition
Good experience
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hounslow, Greater London11 February 2018
The team was great and the immediate managers were good too. Working in a busy store gave me a good experience. Sticking to deadlines and working well with people from different backgrounds were memorable.
Fun workplace
Retailer and Till operator (Current Employee) –  Broad Street11 February 2018
Fun place to work with good time table.
Friendly and helpful managers and colleagues.
Good experience on communication and team work skills.
Friendly environment.
Pros
time table
Friendly
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Malvern9 February 2018
A typical day was stock room based retrieving items the shop floor needed and sending them down but also, dealing with deliveries of stock and help keeping the store tidy and running smoothly. Managers are very friendly and are very approachable if you ever had a question or any issues which made work life easier. My co-workers were always friendly and easy to get along with which made it enjoyable to go into work but also understood the importance of the tasks at hand. I enjoyed the atmosphere and the work that was Involved in the warehouse, the hardest part of the jobs to finish a delivery when it would arrive late and leave us only a bit of time to do the work.
Pros
Co-Workers
Cons
Missing personal events

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.6K