Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Good staff
Temp sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire18 April 2018
A typical work day at Marks&Spencer is always fun and there is always things to be doing whether that be on the shop floor or in the warehouse re-pricing for the seasonal sales.

I learned that you have to be enthusiastic and motivated to help customers have the best shopping experience and to be at their hand whenever they need it.
Pros
20% staff discount
Enjoyable
Bureau assistant (Current Employee) –  Ealing Broadway Station18 April 2018
I come in, already anticipating what my shift will consist of, and I always get all my tasks done within my job. Interacting with customers is imperative and it helps if you go the extra mile for the customers. I have learnt that you come across with all different types of people, and it best to keep things professional. the most enjoyable part of working in M&S is that I enjoy my time working with my colleagues.
Pros
Interacting with customers
Cons
Managers
Enjoyable and fast paced workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath17 April 2018
I worked here as a Christmas Temp and i thoroughly enjoyed it! All my colleagues were welcoming and enthusiastic about the job. I learned how to correctly stack shelves and put stock out, how to serve customers on a till, how to assist to customers that required help around the shop floor etc. The hardest part of the job would have to have been walking up to the top floor after a log shift! The most enjoyable part of the job would've been meeting new people.
Pros
20% off discount!
Productive workplace, well paying, good ethos.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford, Surrey17 April 2018
Standard shift work, agreeable hours (few unsocial hours) with ample opportunity for working overtime, should it be desired.

Management were professional, able, and considerate in all dealings. Very pleasant to work with.
Okay...... improvement needed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes16 April 2018
Good place to work, nice employer, made friends and enjoyed my work. However I feel as if though management could do a better job. Very poor communication between management and staff which meant there were constant problems occurring which hadn't been talked about resulting in incidents from time to time.
Pros
Pay
Cons
Unsociable hours and managment
Boring
Customer Service Christmas Temp (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London15 April 2018
Not my most favourite job role but not the worse job that I have done. Had to start very early. Forced to work under pressure and time scale. I was only there as a Christmas temp worker so literally did around 6 weeks work.
Pros
Till work relaxed
Cons
Pressured to work on time scale
Nice Company
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Longbridge, West Midlands15 April 2018
Great company to work for, they look after their staff well. I enjoy that there is lots of interaction with managers and staff. They are supportive in promoting staff from within the company.
Unfortunately due to a number of stores closing, and staff being relocated has meant that hours have since dropped. Which unfortunately doesn't help staff that were dependent on the hours.
Pros
Staff Discount
Cons
No Hours
Productive and Fast Paced
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Covent Garden13 April 2018
A typical day at work would consist of packing shelves, interacting with customers and helping checkout customers. I learned a great deal at M&S improving my customer service skills greatly.
Marks and spencer over the years has been a good company to work for. I enjoy my role of team leader as it gives me the opportunity to use my skills
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Rawtenstall, Lancashire13 April 2018
Marks and Spencer’s plc are a good company to work for. Helping me develop communication skills and managing skills throughout the years. Also knowledge of retail, business (takings, profit and plans throughout the year) and more so customer service skills. Delivering excellent customer service every time. They have helped me to be able to manage a team a people in the work place on a daily basis, delivering team briefs and 1 on 1 discussions.
Pros
Development
Cons
Salary and benefits
Fun place to work
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes12 April 2018
Meet so many different types of people every day

friendly staff, management were very encouraging

learnt good morals as this was my 1st ever job growing up

working hard doesn't always pay off, can become used person
Pros
food was amazing
Cons
no career opportunities
Productive and busy workplace
Fire, Health and Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 April 2018
My experience at Marks and Spencer was a good one. I learnt a lot of new skills. I was tasked as a key holder and responsible for the opening/closing and security of the store, which involved setting alarms and securing the building each evening.

Due to the nature of the business, you were constantly busy and always in demand, not necessarily just for your own role, but other roles throughout the business.

The Management were OK, a bit disorganised sometimes, where different managers had different policies which left staff in the crossfire.

The most enjoyable part of the job was working with a good staff set, training and retraining staff on Emergency Procedures, Evacuation and Fire Health and Safety rules.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Long Hours
Busy
Baker Street station - Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London10 April 2018
Motivated cashier who is highly energetic, outgoing and detail-oriented. Handles multiple responsibilities simultaneously while providing exceptional customer service. Quickly learns and masters new concepts and skills. Passionate about ensuring customers leave business with a positive experience.
Striving for change
Section Manager (Current Employee) –  Cheshunt9 April 2018
There's no secret that retail is tough at the minute. M&S have made significant changes over the last few years to help the business succeed in the future.

They are one of the only retailers who offer alternative weekend working and the pay is fair and competitive.
Excellent environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Surrey8 April 2018
This was my first job and the job I held when at university and throughout my teacher training year. They are very flexible and relay look after their staff. As a company they are very focused on making the experience within the business the best it can be for both the staff and the customers.
Fun place to work
Customer Assistant (part-time) (Former Employee) –  Watford, Hertfordshire7 April 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working for the Lingerie Department at M&S. My role was varied but each shift was structured hour by hour. Direct Managers were a pleasure to work with and made me feel like a very valued and important member of the team.
Pros
Great variety
Cons
This role was an additional post to my already full time position.
Lots of benefits and supportive management
Visual Section Co-Ordinator (Former Employee) –  Leamington Spa7 April 2018
A typical day included checking all instore displays/windows were neat and tidy. Completing any moves/displays and merchandising departments. Management were very friendly and supportive from day one. A lot of long serving staff members who are happy to work there and friendly. Most enjoyable part of the job was helping the store improve.
Pros
Free bread, fruit, hot drinks
Cons
Overnight shifts
Frustrating workplace
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Darlington7 April 2018
Work started roughly 5:30 AM jobs were signed typical day starting bakery carry on until until this was finished then given other duties depending on which staff were absent I could then be expected to open up cafes from there replenished stock in the meantime dealing with the customers taking orders answering telephone back to replenishing stock Followed byerecruitment if needed training if needed
.A normal day could be quite eventful to say the least but as I thrive onWith my work I never complained of the day was to shop complaints just keep a happy smile on your face and get through
Pros
Varied duties
Cons
Not able to complete a job before being allocated another
was a good team
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
hate working weekends should be split between all ages. the old people got all the good hours but young people were stuck slaving all weekend instead of boogyin !!!!
Interesting summer
Internship (Former Employee) –  London5 April 2018
I spent a summer in M&S and I learned a lot about the food business in general. However I do think that the management at M&S is terrible. They still operate like they did 20 years ago and they are not open to new ideas brought by young people.
productive and friendly
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Teesside, North Yorkshire4 April 2018
fun and confidence building workplace. all people are treat fairly and are given many opportunities to build their careers and even start working/ getting a degree in management.
Pros
equal salary
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K