Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 4,240 reviews matching the search See all 4,766 reviews
No Training performance complaint after 4 hours
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington, Leicestershire6 December 2018
Had to give a star would have preferred to give it no stars. Start with training day 1 how to pick a box up how to use a pallet truck

The second day someone from inbound reading of a piece of card how to do the job had to ask other people how to do things if something went wrong
Day 3 new person showing how to do the job knew everything but went off to a meeting so had a 3rd person showing how to do the job

In this time didn't learn anything about what to do when the printer failed things were missing where to find missing articles ETC

Well, day 4 start of job 4 hours in came round telling me I was not doing enough tried to tell them having problems computer freezing not bothered get your pick rate up

From here it went downhill on the same day was told work rate was very good and 2 hours later given a verbal warning for being slow
I was told got to get up to 85% by week 3
the first week was 72%
the second week was 84% still given a warning

Some of the coaches are great and really help others just Ignore you
Didn't have time to try to learn as STAFFLINE came round 3 or 4 times a day only bothered about pick rate

The saddest place I have worked could be so good but staff are just numbers like the Items they pick thought with it being M&S it would be good

So thank you for 3 weeks of awful pressure M&S but now left
Pros
Wages good for the work
Cons
Long hours thrown in without any training wanting pick rate on day 1
workplacement
Customer Service Assistant (Work Placement) (Former Employee) –  Ellesmere Port, UK5 December 2018
I did a 2 week placement . In which i learnt how to get stock from the warehouse . An place on the shop floor. An help other staff members when asked.
Pros
free lunch
Fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Swindon, UK5 December 2018
Induction Day met and made some really good friends for life. The environment and people working in the cafe are so friendly and supportive. Really recommend applying.
Pros
Salary and Able to take on more hours
Cons
If closing, there is a lot of responsibility put on you.
Good team members, management skills were lacking.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Reading2 December 2018
Working as a customer assistant was a good job. Team members are great and friendly. However managers would choose favourites and sometimes attitude were poor to other staff members. Booking holidays is difficult sometimes. Managers pressurise staff to hand out feedback and nitpick. Pay is good and receive 20% off for members and family.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Managers
work place
Store supervisor (Former Employee) –  London, UK2 December 2018
I have a fun environment in Heathrow T5 with diffrents country. I love this place to work here again and again.i learned many things how to handle customer, refill, counter service, and many more.the most enjoyable part of my job is work only 8 hrs which make me so good and don't feel tried and my hardest part of the job is delivery product myself I have to well organised every thing and refill the self.
Pros
sandwich, drink, crips
Cons
8hrs
Ambiente lavorativo stimolante e buon salario
logistica (Current Employee) –  Castle Donington1 December 2018
Ambiente lavorativo stimolante e ben gestito con ottime norme di sicurezza ed un buon salario con tanta possibilità di carriera.
Pros
Buon salario, possibilità di crescita, buona sicurezza E possibilità di far carriera
Fun Work Place
Christmas temp (Former Employee) –  Brighton, East Sussex30 November 2018
I developed a wide range of skills on the tills and customer services during the busiest season of them all - Christmas. The staff were so welcoming and friendly and i had a laugh with every single one of them.
Pros
The team I worked with.
Cons
Not enough hours
Poorly run, no organisation
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Crawley, West Sussex29 November 2018
Members of normal staff very lovely and always happy to help. Management expect a lot from you in very little time, want you to be able to put yr life on hold at the drop of a hat and you are expected to work as and when they want. Training is appalling and health and safety is at the bottom of their priorities, payslips are only viewed online and you are strangely paid in advance! Not enough equipment to do the job but you are expected to just cope and still work to a strict deadline. Very over worked and under valued, theres no care or compassion for staff also no direct line to call into store so if theres an emergency etc and someone tries to call you they would go through a call centre first which in itself was a nightmare but you arent allowed to keep a mobile phone in case of emergencies. Had no signed contract and no one knew how long the induction period lasted which meant a lower grade of pay, you are provided with uniform but if if it dosnt last you for a year then you have to pay for more, all breaks are unpaid and what i wasnt told when i took the job on was that even though you have contracted hours you are expected to be flexible. There is 20% discount in stores and some other perks but overall its not worth the grief!
Pros
Discount
Cons
Not enough staff, equipment, or manners
Work Experience Placement (Former Employee) –  Deal, Kent28 November 2018
Was made to feel part of the team even though I was in work experience, nice family atmosphere, always willing to support you. Discounts were nice and facilities for staff were good.
Pros
Free lunches
Poor
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Yorkshire27 November 2018
Depends which branch you work in but there is no longer a work/family balance. It's all policy they never listen to staff,no consistency,rules for some and rules for others.Very poor management.
Pros
Discount
Cons
No work/family balance
Great place until they give you a very bad manager .
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Coventry arena park27 November 2018
It was a great place to work .but they kept changing managers.I had the best manager at the start and when I left I had the worst manager of my working career.I loved going to work at the start .it was a dream job . Loads of support from my first manager. I hated going to work in the end it made me ill.
Pros
Great work colleagues. Good discount. Fun at times .
Cons
Kept changing managers. If you get a bad one the job becomes very hard
Enjoyable but hard
section manager (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff26 November 2018
staffing cuts and extra work load is difficult to juggle but after working for other retailers, M&S is far more enjoyable, and the in store teams make it a great place to work
A good place to work with friendly staff and a good attitude to putting the customer first.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harrogate, North Yorkshire25 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working in Marks and Spencer, the staff were friendly and helpful and worked well together. I appreciated the training given and learnt a lot on the job helping out in different departments. A good place to work, particularly if you are taken on as permanent rather than temporary contract staff.
Pros
Good staff relations. Good store discount. Helpful training.
Love my M&S family
Shop assistant and cashier (Current Employee) –  Weybridge25 November 2018
I love working for M&S it’s a real pleasure everyone happy to help each other including managers, we are a little family good work life balance and reasonable pay and great benefits
Pros
20% staff discounts
Cons
long hours with low salary
STOCK CONTROL & SALES ASSISTANT (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Station london24 November 2018
typical day will consist of managing and distributing stock through out the store and managing the deliveries. what I learnt there was different methods of stock control. the management was not the greatest as they did not take into considerations staff opinions and views.
a coporate company
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle-under-Lyme23 November 2018
Like any company it is all about the profits. They have good management teams and excellent staff who support each other. The most enjoyable part of the job was first thing in the morning when there was no customers and I was replenishing stock, baking, and laying out the cake table. The worst part was when you got an horrible customer, I felt you had give them whatever they wanted irrelevant of whether they were right.
Pros
freindly staff and management and 20% DISCOUNT
Cons
pressure on the staff
Productive, fun workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Barnsley23 November 2018
I enjoyed my time working at Marks and Spencer as I was a fun Workplace and I gained experience whilst I was at school...………………………………………………………………………….
good pay, temporary contracts no good
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff22 November 2018
Good pay. poor management. Do not appreciate staff work like dogs bodys and get nothing in return. Colleagues were fab pay was great environment not a very nice place to work
Customer Service Advisor
Customer Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Bolton, Middlebrook21 November 2018
Worst job interview I ever had!!! Felt discrimination since met the store management... Never felt so much humiliated. Had a role play part of the interview, have been told to prepare from ~10 sheets information in 10mins and later have been blamed that I couldn't remembers small details from it! Told them that the things they have been asking me to learn in 10mins usualy being learnt in 1 or 2 weeks training... Oh well will never try again to work in this company as they obviously don't need people who are brilliant in customer service and has very good references.
Pros
Cons
Worst job interview ever!!! Staff in administration very rude and rasist!
Good opportunity for advancement and competitive pay package
Commercial Manager (Current Employee) –  Northern Ireland21 November 2018
Can be long hours, particularly at Peak times but this is to be expected going into retail. competitive salaries within the retail environment and the staff discount card is a big bonus along with many other perks and share price options available on top of the basic salary. The atmosphere in stores in very similar wherever you go; I found it extremely welcoming.
Pros
Staff discount card, pay benefits, advancement
Cons
relocation

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.9K