Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Found 3,960 reviews matching the search See all 4,454 reviews
Enjoyable working environment
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Barrow-In-Furness21 August 2018
At M&S I enjoy working despite some long days and early gets ups as all the staff are polite and friendly therefore you feel accepted which makes it easier to work and makes the time there more enjoyable.
Pros
Reasonable breaks
Cons
Long shifts
Good work ethic
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Northampton, Northamptonshire21 August 2018
A typical day consists of working on both tills and shop floor.
Helping your co-workers is important as it can get very busy. Customers are not always friendly but you must always act in a respectful and kind manner.
You have your own floor to manage and work on but occasionally you may be put on another section.
Lovely company to work for
Section Co-Ordinator (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, Suffolk and Bury St. Edmunds21 August 2018
A typical day for me would be the day to day running of the shop floor, sorting out shift patterns and where eveyone needs to be throughout the day.

The workplace is lovely like a big happy family with the management team included.

Being a Section-coordinator has been really enjoyable.
Large head office
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London20 August 2018
Lots of good benefits and friendly people. Had international presence and gave exposure to lots of different roles. Lots of staff but still felt valued as an individual.
Pros
subsidised lunches
Ok
Sales assisant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow20 August 2018
Marks and spencers were good to work for. I would definetly recommend them as a first time employer. Silverburn was where I worked. Give it a bash! Good Luck!
the salary is really good
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  London19 August 2018
working at the store in Stratford was amazing the whole staff was amazing but when I moved to the Croyden store I dreaded coming everyday I just didn't feel happy working there then my phone got stolen and when it did get handed in i wasn't told who had taken it
Pros
good pay
Cons
horrible people at the croyden store
Good store management
Deputy Store Manager & Section Manager Foods (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 August 2018
Good store management but business not good at listening to employees.
Good level of progression from advisor level but as soon as your a manager its difficult to move upwards.
Always announcing something new in processes or management structures which is often demotivating.
Pros
staff discount
productive
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bromley19 August 2018
9:00am-3:00pm everyday
Sales assistant
communication skills
customer service skills
The workplace culture was very friendly and everyone helped when help was requested.
Pros
good break times
Cons
compact shifts
polite, fun
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Park18 August 2018
I enjoyed working at Marks and Spencers all the staff where nice and friendly managment where helpfull throughout my whole time working at Marks and Spencers.
Pros
20% discount.
Cons
distance
Great Retail Establishment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chester17 August 2018
Brilliant opportunity to start as a part-time temp in retail. Staff were always very friendly and customers were almost never a problem. Charming place to work altogether.
overall good place to work
Customer Sales Assistant - From (Former Employee) –  Burnley17 August 2018
very busy job especially on weekends
communication skills are essential especially with difficult customers
quite a happy place to be, overall vibes are good, has its ups and downs.
Fast pace workplace
Retail Assistant (Current Employee) –  Derby, Derbyshire17 August 2018
Typical day at work involves stock replenishment,general cleaning duties,serving customers and assisting customers in the the fitting room.I learnt the importance of dealing with customers and helping them with any enquiries that they may have.
Helpful management which provide a great working environment and the staff make the workplace a pleasure to be in.
The hardest part of the job is being on your feet all day serving customers.
The most enjoyable part is interacting with customers and providing them with excellent customer service and being praised for it by getting great feedback.
Pros
dealing with customers and colleagues
Cons
long days and being stood serving for 9 hour days.
Enjoyable working environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear16 August 2018
during my three weeks at M&S I picked up many shopfloor skills, like how to make space on shelves, how to correctly speak to customers and what to do if you dont know the answer to any questions from customers.
Pros
Free drinks
Cons
Long shifts
Great place
Management Trainee (Former Employee) –  Reading16 August 2018
I worked for this company over 20 years ago, so not sure why I need to write a review. I'll therefore say that the work/life balance was good and I thoroughly enjoyed working there!!
Many skills learnt, however not a particularly stimulating/fun work environment.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol15 August 2018
A typical day was 8 hours long, with an hour lunch break. All of this was spent on your feet, which was tiring but necessary. The job taught me many skills, including till work, computer skills and customer sales communication. My boss wasn't particularly sympathetic or interested in my work, however the other employees around me were supportive and always looked to help each other out.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Long hours, difficult customers on return desk
fanastic career devlopment and oppurtunies
Store visual manager (Current Employee) –  Exeter, Devon15 August 2018
Working for Marks and Spencers for the past 16 years has given me experience working for a major retailer on the high street, my experience has included working in a high street large store, then after 9 years moved to Exeter store and lead a team through major changes after a fire. Launching a brand-new Concept to the business - Concept 11. I lead a highly motivated team of 8 managers through this challenging time with little impact on trade and customer. Both of these stores I worked closely with Head Office to deliver the CAD plans and layout of the store using my visual skills to launch to BU guidelines and get the best out of product handling, mannequin placement and sight lines. I then moved to Cribbs Causeway a premier store top 10 store in M&S which has enabled me to deliver the launch of Conran concept on Homewear and work with highly competitive team.
More recently I have been working as a store visual manager back in Exeter working alongside the store manager and accountability of the whole visual look of the store including customer journey and customer experience.
Pros
career development and varitey
Good pay, easy going work place
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  London14 August 2018
Enjoyed my time working M&S. Only disadvantage was that they didn't keep me on as a permanent employee because a few Marks and Spencer stores closed down, and therefore my job was given to a permanent employee of M&S.
Great Company To Work For
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stirling, Stirlingshire14 August 2018
Only negative is that I was not made aware I was on a temporary contract the salary is great for young people and everyone is lovely. a very diverse workforce
Pros
good breaks
Cons
Temporary contract
enjoyable
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London13 August 2018
• Provided brilliant customer service and made every customers’ experience special; shown through multiple customer survey reviews for which I was rewarded
• Fine-tuned my knowledge and developed my expertise in customer service
• Used product knowledge to aid customers in deciding on the best product for their needs and desires
• Built strong relationships with customers which encouraged them to return to the store as their previous experience was always great
Pros
free lunches
Cons
long hourss
An orderly workplace
Merchandise Assistant (Former Employee) –  Preston13 August 2018
Not only did I learn about stock rotation, selling points etc there was regular training updates on health and safety in the work place and dealing with customers.
Pros
Bonus

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.8K