Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Great Employer
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset12 December 2017
The company was fun to work for and they accommodated most of my holiday requests. The staff were friendly and the customers grateful of the help and support we provided.
Productive with minimal communication.
HR Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 December 2017
I have really enjoyed working for M&S's HRSS department. I've met some amazing people in an office with a great productivity and vibrancy.
There is an issue of communication throughout this company. With every aspect of this job you find that communication is lacking from the store to every process of hiring.
The discount is good but the salary is minimal and the way that pay works is very inconvenient with dates and pre payments.
This job was a great stop gap, for training in hiring processes but I would not be interested in staying with the company long term.
Pros
Discount and Community
Cons
Communication and Technology
Busy and fast-paced workplace
In Store Baker (Current Employee) –  Orpington, Greater London12 December 2017
6am starts, bake all products based on daily cybake quantities averaged out based on sales over a 6 week period.
The best part of the role is you're essentially left to work independently and to get on with your jobs without much instruction from management. the hardest part is being responsible for getting your own stock from the industrial freezer.
Enjoyable with good perks
Section Manager (Former Employee) –  nireland9 December 2017
As an everyday job this company is a great place to work. Progression can be quick although it makes your job extremely variable where you don't know what section of the store or what store you could be working in. Perks for advisors are great but sometimes not so good for management.
Pros
progression plans
Cons
no pay rise as management
Shop floor worker (Former Employee) –  Leeds8 December 2017
Something that stood out to me during my short time here was the excellent standard of staff treatment, all members of staff were given lunch allowances etc. and management were fair and kind in their interactions with us. This made for good workplace morale creating a friendly environment making even the longest days easier.
Pros
meal allowances, discounts
Cons
Not worth the energy you put in.
Store Operations (Current Employee) –  Summertown, Oxfordshire7 December 2017
You are made to work like a dog, you get blamed for things that don't involve you, you'll break your back everyday and get no credit, lazy staff, two faced managers
Pros
20% discount
Cons
Short breaks, long hours, no progression for employee, lack of teamwork, divide in staff
Let you get on with it by yourself
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham7 December 2017
This was part of my work placement from the Ninestiles school. It gave me valuable experience of the work place and how to behavior in business situations.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
N/a
just okay
CUSTOMER ADVISER (Former Employee) –  Dundee City6 December 2017
working at M&S was enjoyable and fun, however has a lack of flexibility in working hours, which is not suitable for a student. The managers are easy to get along with, and are understanding.
Pros
fun, enjoyable and relaxed
Cons
low pay, no flexibility
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hull, East Riding of Yorkshire6 December 2017
Really good to work for. Staff are really nice, teach you everything you need to know about the workplace (how to bring in a delivery, how to work the till etc).
Pros
Free food
Cons
Great place to work and gain skills and experience
Customer assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London6 December 2017
my time with marks and spencers was short due to a temporary contracted role at marks and spencers. Although the timing was short i thoroughly enjoyed working at this business as there was so much i had learnt and experienced within a retail store. i found working here helpful to my future choices.
Pros
Good pay
Ok
Learning and Development Administrator (Current Employee) –  Salford Wuays4 December 2017
A good team of people and job benefits, but the company as a rule does not pay the going rate for work. This causes them to lose key staff and key skills causing them to have to retrain staff.
lovely place to work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Taunton, Somerset30 November 2017
Good place to work with very friendly staff and customers. Good wage with 20% staff discount. Nice at Christmas time especially. Everyone always seems happy at M&S.
Fun workplace
Stockroom Assistant (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands30 November 2017
They are encouraging and helpful during the short period that I was there. Especially during the day you meet new and interesting customers. Fun and enjoyable work environment.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Takes a while to learn your way around the shop.
Very good other than a few things
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sale28 November 2017
I believe that my work there was very good. I mainly had to unbox things and put them on the shelves, however this was not too tedious. I learnt lots of things to do with trade and how to handle customers.
supportive company
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Longbridge28 November 2017
Good Company to work for, although I feel too many managers and less feet on the shop floor.
Supportive of my ongoing illness.
reasonable rate of pay.
Pros
free hot drinks, and treats
Cons
hard on your feet
Productive and fast paced environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Teesside28 November 2017
I enjoyed my four weeks at Marks & Spencer as I completed a four week work placement and learning how to deal with customers effectively on a day to day basis as they made me feel welcome and helped me develop and increase my confidence and self-esteem during my time there.
Pros
free lunches
Great Experience
Ground Staff/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Romford, Greater London27 November 2017
This job allowed me to make use of my interpersonal skills and communication with the daily with the interaction with customers as well as the team effort with fellow employees to fulfill tasks across the shopping floor.
Pros
Lunch provided, meeting nice people
Cons
Quite chilly in certain parts of the store due to the fridges
Busy busy busy!!
Event Hostess (Current Employee) –  Cribbs Causeway, Bristol26 November 2017
Gr8 place to work, Managers muck in, all staff are very friendly throughout.
Currently Xmas Temp, Host & Eventing team, absolutely loving it, doing food tasting you get the chance to fully engage with customers, when you see them pop the products in their basket, you have used ur sales pitch, to persuade them to buy, theres ur work buzz rite there! You get live updates from Managers on sales figures for that product so the results of you labours are instant.
The morning 'huddle' determines which dept ul b on, im sure its flexible tho im enjoying the food hall as its busy pretty much all shift.
This is a good stepping stone for anyone embarking on a career in retail, you will get well trained, exacting standards, you are valued here, this branch is supportive, the Managers arent strangers & the atmosphere is one of workforce contentment.
Im sure once my temp contract up, ill be hoping to work for them again next year.
Pros
Discount card, subsidised cafe
Cons
Short breaks
productive, punctuality, continuity
Part time Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  glasgow, United Kingdom25 November 2017
It was a great place to work with this company, it gave me the platform to learn about customer's nature and satisfy them accordingly. I learned the safety procedures at work there.
Fun and friendly
Sales Assistant (Christmas Temp) (Current Employee) –  Meadowhall, South Yorkshire25 November 2017
Although being a christmas temp, i'm still treated equally among other staff members who have been there much longer. Management are friendly and make the effort to learn your name which makes you feel part of the team. However shifts can change at short notice and extra hours can be put down without asking prior (although you can say no, as a christmas temp it's not something i feel comfortable doing) which can be daunting when you're in for 8-9 hours with a 30 minute break.
Pros
good pay, friendly co-workers, good discount
Cons
Long hours, customers can be difficult (to be expected tbh)

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.