Marks and Spencer Employee Reviews

Sociable and productive workplace
Shop assistant (Former Employee) –  London18 June 2018
A typical day included shelf stacking, stock take and cashiering duties.

Good management of the store: I was always allocated tasks within a reasonable time frame, was regularly informed when targets were hit and was praised for good work.

Friendly and sociable workplace where I felt valued and respected.
Pros
Good staff discount
Cons
Inflexible hours
Enthusiastic and polite
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Hull18 June 2018
During the day I helped replenish stock on shelves and keep shop tidy, help with any customer enquiries. Manager was very approachable and assisted me with all aspects of my work experience. My favourite part of work experience was the whole experience apart from the last day when I had to leave as I really enjoyed it. The workplace was a very happy uplifting environment and it taught me many skills working with the public and I have taken these traits with me into my own personal life.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Not having the required stock
Productive experience
retail assistant (Former Employee) –  Marble Arch, London17 June 2018
A typical day at work consisted of assisting customers with enquiries, displaying new merchandise, assisting tills and managing fitting rooms. The workplace community was very diverse as I was working with people from different age and ethnic groups.
Quite enjoyable
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Romford17 June 2018
I was lucky enough to work with a great team who were friendly and supportive. It was quite enjoyable as the people were polite and kind. It was also quite a clean environment- which was nice.
Average retail job
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol17 June 2018
If your face fits you can climb the ladder otherwise you are not expected to progress in the company. If you have a good manager then it’s nice but managers come and go and you have to start all over again,
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Communication
Awful management
Cafe Assistant (Former Employee) –  Guildford16 June 2018
I only worked here for a short while and didn't enjoy a minute of it. Management were rude, and not at all supportive. It's a shame, as M&S as a company is fantastic and this place does it no justice.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Management, salary, pressured environment
Caring place to work
Departmental Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birmingham14 June 2018
Review is based on my time there which was many years ago. I believe they are still a very caring company.
Excellent training
Good social events
Good pay and rewards
Pros
Pay, welfare of staff, good reputation
Cons
money makes up for terrible managment
Cafe Worker (Current Employee) –  Horsham14 June 2018
managers are terrible, customers are the rudest i've ever seen, good teams of people you're working with however. No breaks for a 4 hour shift and only food provided is bread and fruit. Staff discount of 20% which is pretty good, but overall work environment leaves much to be desired. Clear communication issues between head managers and those of each department, and holiday given and extra shifts are few and far between
Pros
8.75 an hour all over store when fully trained
Cons
0 extra hours and contracted weekend work
Great place to work.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wolverhampton14 June 2018
I worked here over Christmas and it really was incredible. I loved the amount of work, the staff I worked with were great and the store had a great atmosphere all the time.
Pros
Staff discount
Rewarding yet under staffed
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Epping, Essex13 June 2018
The work was fast paced and generally quite enjoyable particularly around the Christmas period. Management was efficient and staff meetings in the morning meant for a more organised working day. At times, however, the store was understaffed making it difficult to dedicate as much time to each customer as one would like to.
good people
Section Co-ordinator (Current Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 June 2018
Im lucky enough to work with a great team.
the pay is great for shop work and there are good opportunities to advance. But you have to push for it.
In management you find that it is hard to leave on time, and there is quite a lot of pressure as its such a busy environment, but the people make it.
Pros
great people, recognition
good
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Stratford, Greater London13 June 2018
It was alright. Not too much to do during the day. Closing up the store is probably the most difficult and that is definetly not. Management are kind and respectable.
good
bad
Productive workplace
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire12 June 2018
Great place to work! Fun and friendly staff members! Fun working environment! Good pay! Fair! Good staff discount! Fairly flexible! Trustworthy! Clean environment!
Pros
Good pay! Good discount!
Cons
Unsociable hours
Long hours but excellent pay
Sales Assistant (Part-time) (Former Employee) –  Rotherham12 June 2018
At this job you are expected to take up long shifts and many hours, if you do not want to take on a shift there is a certain feeling of anger from the managers, despite the fact that these hours exceed your contracted hours and this is never discussed. However, the pay from the job is excellent and the job itself is not too demanding.
Pros
Great Pay
Cons
Long shifts
Preparing to trade (Former Employee) –  Kensington, Greater London12 June 2018
Great place to work. Lots of friendly people that are willing to help you. Great at getting overtime when needed. Enjoy meeting various people and helping other departments as you learn more about the business.s
Pros
rewards
Cons
short breaks
Alright place to work but management looked down on you whilst being awful at their job
Temporary Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Buxton, Derbyshire12 June 2018
Good salary and staff discount but really didn't like the management. Could have been the store I was working in but my line manager was terrible at her job. They were strict on the number and length of breaks the customer assistants took but the managers used to go and take as many breaks as they wanted!
Pros
Pay; staff discount (20%)
productive
sales associate full time (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
At this position, I held a customer service position as well as a till assistant. I was also responsible for maintaining the existing financial systems. My responsibilities therefore included: handling cash, processing daily till count and organising banking via G4S collection while ensuring great customer service.
Pros
good discount
Management needs improving.
Assisting customers (Former Employee) –  Clapham Junction, Greater London11 June 2018
Great money, it becomes hard to juggle everyday life when so much of your time is spent working.
Not the nicest environment to be working in, always doing something wrong, you can never do right
Pros
Lunch break
Friendly environment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London11 June 2018
Working n M&S has helped me gain a lot of insight of how a supermarket works and most importantly how to interact with customers. Dealing with customers has to be the most enticing aspect of the job as you meet various types of customers, which is mostly fun
Furniture Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Colliers Wood, Greater London11 June 2018
Enjoyed working with the public, being able to help.
I've work in the Public Sector in the early 80's at St Mary's Hospital in Paddington in Medical Records and St Thomas Hospital in Westminster in the X-ray department.
Also work in the Private Sector Bupa Medical Centre in King's Cross making appointments.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Marks and Spencer. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K