Maritime and Coastguard Agency

Maritime and Coastguard Agency Employee Reviews

Disjointed role
There is a real disconnect between the training provided and the requirements of the operational role. There is also a high turnover of staff with the result that new staff are not accepted readily into the organisation until they have been there a few months and demonstrate their intention to stay. The job does have its good points but is not for everyone.
Very Professional Company
I really enjoyed working at The Maritime and Coastguard Agency and I would highly recommend the company to anyone looking for employment within the Maritime Industry.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Parking
If you enjoy helping people and working outdoors this is the job for you.
When you get a call out its a race against time to get to the CG station, put on your ppe and in the truck to the unknown. You never really know what your going to have to deal with.
Pros
Great team to work with.
Cons
modern day slavery, discrimination bullying
work ethics non existant. politics, victimisation, bullying and spreading rumours at its best. The managers are under pressure from the top management for fear of the unknown. No transparancy.
Pros
Free lunches, dinners, hotels, travels, courses
Cons
back biting rumuours, no work ethics, discrimination, bullying
Interesting so far
I am in temp position so not really qualified to make many comments but so far, it's been interesting, the people have been pleasant and the IT systems are excellent - unlike many companies!
Pros
Flexi-time
Cons
None that I know of at the moment
Public Sector Role
37 hour week, flexible working with remote working allowed. Finance team very collaborative and a great team. MCA is a executive agency of the Department of Transport so normal public sector constraints apply.
Rewarding
A very rewarding job saving lives in a dynamic environment. I have learnt a lot about Search and Rescue in the aviation environment but also in the maritime arena.
HM Coastguard Operations Room Role - Great teamwork and sense of achievement
This role involved the co-ordination of the UK aviation response to Search and Rescue (SAR) operations. This involved the identification, tasking, and deployment of the most suitable aviation asset/s following any request for SAR aircraft assistance from an authorised co-ordinating authority, after first determining if the request is appropriate and achievable.

The role requires strong team work and communication skills, and the ability to plan and make decisions under pressure and strong time constraints.
Briliant, very supportive
A great volunteering service.
They really support you in training and when you are out on a call.

The teams we work with are passionate and knowledgeable.
Civil Service
Full of policy makers with little knowledge.
Management do not listen to their employees.

No scope for promotion.

Not enough support from managers.

Poor parking
Lack of compassion for workforce, poor management skills
I lost my dad a week before starting with the agency, during the very emotional time i still manged to pass required exams. My mum was then diagnosed with terminal cancer and given 4 months to live. I failed exams as i was suffering a complete breakdown. Instead of offering me support and understanding they chose to sack me. Management need to undergo mental health awareness training and develop compassion for their workforce. I felt that as the team i worked for where not complying with the national structure, i was used as a scapegoat to bring them all in line. If i had been emotionally stronger at the time i would have taken them to unfair dismissal tribunal.
Disability champion
Took every step in assessing my work station & work to ensure I had all the support available. Provided specialised equipment & computer software.
Great flexible working hours
Pros
Flexi time
Cons
Pay
Stressful at times
shift work between 7am - 7pm, 12 hour night and day shifts on a 24/7 rota.

Team work, your performance in role depends on your team.

Most enjoyable part of the job is saving life and the culture of a can do attitude.

Worst part was corrupt managers who don't give a great deal of support to people not from a maritime background. As a result there is a high staff turn over and senior managers are not perturbed or bothered by this.

I found the role hard to pick up and support was very limited. You rely on your team and vice versa and it is a good place to start if you want to work up the ranks into a more senior position.

It is however very limited to being a specific profession and development opportunities are few and far between, and depend on the relationship you have with your manager, which usually boils down to if they like you.
Pros
atmosphere, ethic and morality of the job
Cons
stress, lack of healthy lifestyle
Excellent employer to develop as a Surveyor
Well managed and inclusive place to work, with excellent training and development opportunities.

Diverse workforce, with a wide scope of opportunities available.
Pros
Secure working environment
Cons
Lack of resources
professionally satisfying
A very satisfying work place in many respects but suffers from lack of investment and institutionalisation.

My particular role was the investigation and prosecution of marine accidents. While a very necessary requirement there were times where alternative solutions could not be adopted which may have had longer term success in improving maritime safety
Pros
serves the maritime community well, and is extremely professional setting a high standard
Cons
now lacking maritime experience, and inflexible in pricing structure particularly for the smaller owner
Interesting working environment
Very interesting place to work. there was always a lot going on and dealing with people on an international level was particularly enjoyable. Good learning curve
A Good Organisation
Although the shifts are 12 hours, the benefits outweigh the time spent sitting in front of a computer screen. A great bunch of people to work with and more than enough excitement. Job satisfaction can be above the norm.
Pros
Shift pattern
Cons
Long periods of inactivity
A very rewarding role helping mariners and the public
I worked in a busy Operations Room handling telephone and radio call from members of the public and mariners of all sorts. My primary function was to assist persons in distress by tasking appropriate units to search and rescue as appropriate.
More routine tasks included providing weather and navigational warnings on a regular basis.

Our teams (of six at night, 12 during the day) covered the UK south coast basically from Beachy Head to Brixham. At times we also provided cover for the West Country and Welsh coasts while local stations were being upgraded.

My knowledge of search and rescue, and counter pollution operations has been greatly improved during my time with the MCA.
Productive and Rewarding
During my current role I am responsible for the day to day running of the area stretching from River Findhorn in west to Rosehearty in the east, within this area are 7 teams which require training in all competency's required by HMCG.
During my employment I have qualified in the following competency's : Rope Rescue - Trainer, Technician : Water Rescue - Operations and Trainer. : Search and Rescue - trainer : First Aid qualified and trainer : Health and Safety : IOSH qualified : RIsk Assessment trained and qualified : 4 x 4 driver trained : Budget manager : Word and Excel proficient : Man management : Responsible for the welfare and safety of all 65 volunteers under my command area.

My work can be very worthwhile and rewarding, there are also bad days when my expectations are not reached.

Dealing with the public daily, and also dealing with other emergency service personnel.
Pros
Company vehicle
Cons
very long hours at times
Can be an extremely funny place to work but ........
A day at work consists of 2 x 12hour dayshifts followed by 2 x12hour nightshifts. Taking calls either routine or emergency over telephones or radio communications from the Maritime community and the general public using land/sea or air assets to effect rescues. I learned search planning using charts, maps to determine wind and current drift that affects objects or persons in the water. I also learned to take details over the phone or radio from extremely agitated/panicky persons in a life or death situation - trying to keep them and myself calm. Management seem to distance themselves from the front line. Myself and colleagues in the Operations Room have to work as a team and have a sense of humour to carry out the various tasks that present themselves on a daily basis. Hardest part of the job is dealing with the loss of life especially children. The most enjoyable part of the job is when the team works well for a successful conclusion and people get to go home safe and well.
Pros
Fulfilling job
Cons
Long hours and nights.