Marie Curie Employee Reviews

fun and easy work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Swansea23 July 2018
The shifts are really based upon your availability.
Great way to gain and improve your skills.
Staff and team members are friendly and easy to get along
Easy going.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownards, County Down16 July 2018
I volunteered at Marie Curie for 2 hours a week over 6 months. Often my shifts involved organising collections to determine what was fit for sale and what could be recycled.
fun workplace
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent18 June 2018
I started at Marie Curie on a work placement from a training provider called Juniper and I still work there generally on a Monday. On Mondays we have a delivery which can come at any time so we have to be ready, otherwise you do the take off's and sorting out rags for collecting, putting out clothes or preparing them to take out onto the shop floor. I would say the thing i enjoy the most is working on the till and helping the other staff in the shop to finish the work. You can often have a laugh and joke in the back which makes the workplace a fun place to work.
Pros
fun place to work
Cons
shop can get very quiet
Great company and places to work with a friendly and supportive team
Street Fund Raiser (Former Employee) –  London7 June 2018
A fantastic charity with a very important cause that helps people in extreme circumstances who are supported till they actually pass away.

It is a charity and front line public service with a reputable history that is amazing.
Pros
Helping people in need through facing the public
Cons
Working in the Cold weather and the rain
Produductive Company great cause
Shop manager (Former Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire13 May 2018
I was working as a shop manager for 5 years. Unfortunately the building was being demolished so I was made redundant.
Area manager was a pleasure to work for. Firm but fair.
Pros
Great cause. Great line manager.
Cons
Long hours. No thanks from upper senior management
productive
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire9 May 2018
As this is a work experience placement i don't get payed for working there. The manager is really nice and she always makes sure everyone has a job to do and are on their feet.
Pros
we can always have a laugh but still get the jobs done
Cons
have to step over alot of items
Amazing charity, Amazing team and my awesome line managers
Team Leader/Training and Development Coach (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 May 2018
I loved being a fundraiser/teamleader for this amazing cause and then later on being in charge of training and development. My time there was so rewarding and being able to hear, first hand, the experiences of the people helped by the work of our amazing nurses and hospices was truly special. I loved my direct managers, they were the best managers I've ever had the pleasure of working under, however; their bosses were completely out of touch with the fundraisers and the work that we do out on the streets and had a complete lack of understanding and empathy and a very clear absence of any humanity towards the vital role that we play in sustaining the amazing work done by Marie Curie.
Pros
every day was different and the team was amazing to work for
Cons
upper management
Bullied in the workplace
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Banbridge5 May 2018
I was bullied in my store. This was by manager and area manager. As well as local people in Banbridge. The manager has bullied every assistant manager since the shop opened. Working there made me suicidal.
Pros
I made some friends with volunteers
Cons
Too many to mention
rewarding and fun
Sunday Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Hastings, East Sussex3 May 2018
a typical day at work for me is to mark items down in price, manage volunteers, cash up the till and do paperwork.
i have learned a lot since working there like paperwork for the job.
i love working there
fun and a opportunity to learn
Through volunteering here (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne24 April 2018
when i volunteered at Marie curie what i was told to do was stock up the shelves and help the customers with any troubles they had.
what i have learned while volunteering at this work place is how to please the customers and it has worked on my communication skills effectively.
Pros
opportunity to work on new skills
Cons
quiet workplace
a typical day at work
Work Experience (Former Employee) –  Worcester Park4 April 2018
id come in at 9 in the morning everyday and start ironing clothes then i would tag the clothes and put prices on them, after that id do a bit of tilling and start the cycle again
Pros
it was an enjoyable team to work with
Amazing to work for!
Unpaid Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Liverpool4 April 2018
A joy to work for and be a part of this company!I always walked into work with a smile of my face knowing that I was giving back to such a amazing charity!
Pros
Amazing people and a way to give back
Cons
No way to move up
enjoyable,productive and very satisfying
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  South Shields, Tyne and Wear2 April 2018
Im working as a volunteer worker and i really enjoying there.Manager and staff very friendly and very good to me i've learned a lots .very good woking environment .
Pros
very friendly and good team
Cons
non
Shop Assisstant (Former Employee) –  Gravesend, Kent1 April 2018
A great place to work.
The friendly atmosphere was very welcoming, this was my first job in the uk and the staff there treated me like family.
It was a joy to work there and I made good freinds.
Pros
travel allowance
Great cause, but dreadful employer
Administrator (Former Employee) –  London29 March 2018
Despite the cause being a great one, the atmosphere is extremely negative. Staff morale is low due to senior management's apparent lack of any interest in the welfare of its employees.

Hours are long (early starts, late finishes), the workload enormous and unrealistic, and additional effort is taken for granted; in fact, the more you give, the more they take (but never with appreciation). As a result, staff turnover is the highest I've seen anywhere.

Marie Curie's glossy TV adverts paint a picture of the excellent work done by all its staff, and most of its employees care deeply about the cause. Sadly, that's seldom - if ever- acknowledged by senior management.
Pros
Wonderful, committed colleagues
Cons
Long hours, miserable atmosphere, unrealistic workload, poor management
a business and not a charity
facilities (Current Employee) –  london10 March 2018
i have worked for Marie Curie for over ten years and over the past few years Head Office has turned into a business.. many of us come in early and finish late without pay which we are happy to do.....but our wages and working conditions continue to deteriorate.We deal with patients that are dying and grieving relatives so it is a stressful job, all we ask for is some support. I am now awaiting the outcome of a couple of job interviews as i will be leaving, which is such a shame.
Pros
Great local management and work colleagues, and you know you are doing a job that makes a difference.
Cons
head office do not care and our concerns are not listened to.
Great Charity-Very Poor Management
HCA (Former) (Former Employee) –  Bradford, West Yorkshire15 February 2018
Be wary of joining Marie Curie.The actual job providing end of life care is very rewarding and the patients/families are lovely.However the line management at Marie Curie is poor. Managers do not care about their staff and are amongst some of the least caring people I have ever met especially considering they are representing a so called caring organisation.
Pros
Lovely patients and families
Cons
Poor line management
Awful
HCA (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow28 January 2018
As a HCA with MC you are worth NOTHING!! Management couldn’t run a bath!! Band 6s leaving early ( 1pm when meant to be on till 8.30pm)!! Nurses think they know it all! Write care plans when not even done any care!!
Pros
Looking after patients
Cons
Place is a disgrace
fun volunteer
Charity Shop South Shields Volunteer (Current Employee) –  king street, south shields22 January 2018
very pleasant people to work with, manager really kind and caring doesn't pressure you to do what she say to do you can choose what you like doing.

place is nice and tidy good prices. you have a good laugh with the staff i enjoy myself with the people who i work along with.
Pros
choose your days
Cons
choose your hours
No appreciation for care assistants
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southwest Gloucestershire12 December 2017
I worked for Marie-Curie for a very long time and loved the job it self, sadly i’d Had enough off Marie-Curie sending loan workers (ourselves)into vulnerable places which were in the middle of no where, never once was this acknowledged for our own safety, yet told you have to go, dark country lanes jet black, then if your down on shifts you don’t get payed for your training, so sadly I left as all the training and being on call just wasn’t worth the money /stress and our safety. Such a shame they don’t look after there staff like we did our patients.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Vulnerable places, on call to late, also back up shifts you don’t get paid for, loads of online training with no pay if down on unworked shifts