Marie Curie Employee Reviews

Minimal job security and racism throughout management
Paid fundraise (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 November 2018
I recently worked for Marie Curie as a paid fundraiser in Newcastle, based on the quayside. They constantly recruit on a loop because they set staff impossible targets and then get them out and the next ones in. Management put you on the spot and embarass you upfront of peers instead of encouragement to be the best and inspire. Constant negativity and above all Racist management! I can't begin to express the horrific and terrible service to work under.
Pros
Weekly pay although not a lot
Cons
Soul destroying, racist management, negativity
can be rewarding
Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Pontypool, Torfaen30 October 2018
Great bunch of people to work with. Can be stressful at times but the end result is very rewarding when you tell a family that they have a Marie curie nurse to look after their loved one so they can have a good night sleep.
It was a good job
Helper (Current Employee) –  London30 October 2018
It was a good job. It was a good working environment. I helped the customers to buy clothes and other stuff. Also, put stickers on books to show that they were donated
Absolutely loved it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh26 October 2018
Very Friendly Staff just absolutely loved it. Manager was fab had great laughs it was in Edinburgh city centre near Nicholas street. Loved my time there
Pros
Great
Cons
Great
Disgraceful.
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire22 October 2018
Worked in Scotland for several years..moved region and made to feel like an outsider. Line Manager was dreadful, no support and treated like dirt, no people skills Some of the staff so unfriendly and unwelcoming.
Pros
Some lovely families
Cons
The Company
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant to Director of Nursing Services (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 October 2018
Productive and fun workplace providing care and support for people living with terminal cancer. Marie Curie give care and support to people living with any terminal illness and their families, bringing light in the darkest hours.
Diverse and Interesting place to work in
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear17 October 2018
Working in Marie Curie was very a very interesting experience as it successfully taught me how to manage a shop as well as enhancing my customer service skills. It also enabled me to work with a diverse group of people.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Small shop
Volunteered in Marie Curie (Former Employee) –  Belfast17 October 2018
A nice change of environment when working there. As I was volunteering all the staff were very grateful of the time and work I was committing to the shop.
Fun workplace
Variable manager (Former Employee) –  Saltcoats, North Ayrshire8 October 2018
Marie Curie is a Great workplace and fun to work with, I had great experience when I worked there. I always had fun working with the volunteers and doing the tasks.
Pros
Always fun with volunteers
Cons
Could be stressful some days
Amazing
Service Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Pontypool, Torfaen8 October 2018
During my time at Marie Curie Nursing Service, I have learned and strengthened numerous aspects of skills and traits needed to deal with high pressure, emotionally challenging circumstances, often times directly with patients and nurses. The role includes duties such as handling sensitive medical records, taking referrals from GPs and District Nurses, and coordinating Nurses all over the country.
Friendly & relaxed atmosphere.
Retail Assistant (Volunteer) (Former Employee) –  Solihull, West Midlands and Acocks Green.4 October 2018
Very busy days.
I Learned to use a computerized till.
The management recommended me for an a award in 2015/16.
The workplace culture was friendly &fair.
I found no part of the job difficult .
The most enjoyable part of the job was serving & talking to the customers.
Pros
Ample breaktimes.
Cons
A lot of standing.
great place to volunteer
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Cardiff2 October 2018
loved every minute of it, friendly staff, loved the customers, everyday was different.
learnt how to deal with customers as well as sort stock and dress displays
Too many managers!!!
Senior Health Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, UK5 September 2018
The company has too many managers. Funding mostly goes to the huge salaries of these managers. Salary increase for staff took years to happen and the increase was barely noticeable.
Serving, tills, tidying rails/shelves,tagging, hanging steam cleaning
Sales assistant Voluntary (Current Employee) –  Merthyr Tydfil4 September 2018
Working within a group, alone> sorting through clothes (non clothing),tagging, hanging, steam cleaning, till work serving customer, tidying rails, shelves. I communicate well with customers, colleagues & management, make teas/coffees, help colleagues by learning new skill (steam cleaning) & enhancing existing ones (till work, customer care). I have also managed the shop for a few hours (My 1st manager advised me to never instruct a colleague to do a task that you can not do. So I have learnt a lot by watching & doing), I have worked with, not against many wonderful colleagues & still do today,who always bring something new. The hardest part is going out of the store when your have not completed all your tasks, but that is something within yourself. The most enjoyable part of the job is the CUSTOMER > so unpredictable, but when you serve them right, what an achievement.
Pros
free tea, coffee, biscuits & meeting people
Cons
I have been here 4years, every day is different, some harder.
Very rewarding
Senior Care Assistant (Former Employee) –  Liverpool13 August 2018
Loved this job although I worked nights it was very rewarding.the pay was good, management were very good and understanding.hardest part of the job was when a patient passed away although it was always expected.
Pros
Satisfaction
Cons
Long nights
fun and easy work
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Swansea23 July 2018
The shifts are really based upon your availability.
Great way to gain and improve your skills.
Staff and team members are friendly and easy to get along
A very sensitive employer
Marie Curie Community Oncology Nurse (Former Employee) –  Tyne and Wear22 July 2018
A great service for both patients relatives and staff.
forward thinking and supportive in new ideas for a better service to the benefit of those in their care.
Easy going.
Shop Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newtownards, County Down16 July 2018
I volunteered at Marie Curie for 2 hours a week over 6 months. Often my shifts involved organising collections to determine what was fit for sale and what could be recycled.
productive and a fun place to work
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  London13 July 2018
it is good place to work because all the staff members are really friendly and I know it is just volunteer that I did but it help me to boot my confidence on how to talk to different people from different culture and I gained experience on how to use the cashier
Pros
free lunch
Cons
costumers attitude towards staff are bad
Largely a good place to work
General Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burton-On-Trent, Staffordshire5 July 2018
The improvements could come easily, but even without them it is a good place to work. There is a lot of different jobs to do and if you want to do a different job just ask and the manager or assistant manager will give you one.
Pros
Flexibility and discounts on stock you buy