Marie Curie Employee Reviews

keeping the store safe
being aware of dangers
Fire safety
Team work

I enjoyed helping customers and being behind the till to interact with the customers
Pros
meeting new people
Terrible
Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear5 January 2019
Absolutely abhorrent management team! Talk to people like rubbish the lady manager is dreadful swearing and going on like a kid, not really the kind of person anybody would like in charge of them, really good charity otherwise I would not of gone there for work, but as far a management is concerned it's really terrible ooh and they need to learn some manners too, it is and can be a fun place to work and the people who work alongside you make it enjoyable
Cons
Long hours/ diabolical management team
Great place to start out work.
Voluntary Worker (Former Employee) –  Port Talbot5 January 2019
Marie cutie was a starting point for me as I hadn't worked before. Although it was volunteers work I thoroughly enjoyed my time working there the staff were very bubbly and great fun to be around.
Pros
Doing charity work
Cons
Unpaid
Dreadful
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire4 January 2019
I used to work at the sherwoo d offices of Marie Curie cancer care in 2001 in Nottingham and it was a relief to leave as the manager at the time was a bit dictatorial to say the least. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone.
Pros
Very few
Cons
Awful managers
Well balanced perfect place for patients
Maintenance Manager (Former Employee) –  Edenhall, 11 Lyndhurst Gardens3 January 2019
Caring, helpful work environment where all the staff and management work together in harmony to achieve the best results for the patients and their families.
Pros
Caring, compassionate environment
Marie curie newcastle North East
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear17 December 2018
I love been in marie Curice shop best busy you really care very very . And help me to been better work in marie Curice shop I would lovely paid jobs
Pros
Shop work
Cons
9 to 5
Volunteering
Volunteer Charity Worker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow17 December 2018
Volunteering at Marie Curie is a great way to help others in your free time.
Great work environment with lots of good people.
Helping others is very rewarding.
love it
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  Solihull, UK15 December 2018
people and visitors are lovely, have volunteered for two years and will be sad when i leave. place is gorgeous events are enjoyable and it is a wonderful place .
Shambolic, chaotic, wasteful
Worked in comms (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London14 December 2018
Chaotic and amateur. Appropriate processes and procedures are completely absent. Communications, ironically for a comms department, are woeful. Management, despite their protestations, is entirely hierarchical. Change is resisted. Creativity is stifled. Planning and strategy are neglected. Pointless tasks, meetings, and even whole jobs proliferate. Money, time and resources are wasted (particularly on outside agencies). Outside agencies are poorly managed. Major campaigns end up being cobbled together. Turnover is high (unless you're a lucky middle manager with a cushy gig). Investment in staff is minimal. Opportunities for progression are non-existent. The dilapidated physical work environment is disgraceful (bordering on dangerous).

But the people are lovely.
Pros
Work-life balance, people
Cons
Everything else
Brilliant people all made redundant by London management
Referral Centre Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Pontypool, Torfaen10 December 2018
Was a fantastic place to work, with fantastic colleagues who, despite managing to provide first class service to the nurses and patients with systems and procedures that made no sense and made worse by every decision passed down from on high, were pushed out the door because of another terrible and impractical idea from London head office
Pros
Colleagues, dealing with nurses, patients and families through the hard emotional times
Cons
insane processes designed by people who have never done the job
a fun place to volunteer
Charity Shop Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff9 December 2018
It is such a nice place to volunteer at. The staff makes you feel like you are a part of a family and the manager there is the best. I enjoy sorting out the stock and the customers that ome in are very sweet.
Very hard working but with reasonable targets in F2F sales
Street Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London9 November 2018
I would recommend working with this charity or other's like it as prepares you for other type of job roles as in the skills are transferable!!! Good1
Pros
Supporting and helping other's in dire straits who are clearly dieing
Cons
Working in bad weather and dealing with rude and arrogant people
Minimal job security and racism throughout management
Paid fundraise (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear9 November 2018
I recently worked for Marie Curie as a paid fundraiser in Newcastle, based on the quayside. They constantly recruit on a loop because they set staff impossible targets and then get them out and the next ones in. Management put you on the spot and embarass you upfront of peers instead of encouragement to be the best and inspire. Constant negativity and above all Racist management! I can't begin to express the horrific and terrible service to work under.
Pros
Weekly pay although not a lot
Cons
Soul destroying, racist management, negativity
can be rewarding
Co-ordinator (Former Employee) –  Pontypool, Torfaen30 October 2018
Great bunch of people to work with. Can be stressful at times but the end result is very rewarding when you tell a family that they have a Marie curie nurse to look after their loved one so they can have a good night sleep.
It was a good job
Helper (Current Employee) –  London30 October 2018
It was a good job. It was a good working environment. I helped the customers to buy clothes and other stuff. Also, put stickers on books to show that they were donated
Absolutely loved it
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh26 October 2018
Very Friendly Staff just absolutely loved it. Manager was fab had great laughs it was in Edinburgh city centre near Nicholas street. Loved my time there
Pros
Great
Cons
Great
Disgraceful.
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Lanarkshire, South Lanarkshire22 October 2018
Worked in Scotland for several years..moved region and made to feel like an outsider. Line Manager was dreadful, no support and treated like dirt, no people skills Some of the staff so unfriendly and unwelcoming.
Pros
Some lovely families
Cons
The Company
Productive and fun workplace
Assistant to Director of Nursing Services (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London19 October 2018
Productive and fun workplace providing care and support for people living with terminal cancer. Marie Curie give care and support to people living with any terminal illness and their families, bringing light in the darkest hours.
Diverse and Interesting place to work in
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  North Shields, Tyne and Wear17 October 2018
Working in Marie Curie was very a very interesting experience as it successfully taught me how to manage a shop as well as enhancing my customer service skills. It also enabled me to work with a diverse group of people.
Pros
Diversity
Cons
Small shop
Volunteered in Marie Curie (Former Employee) –  Belfast17 October 2018
A nice change of environment when working there. As I was volunteering all the staff were very grateful of the time and work I was committing to the shop.