Maplin Employee Reviews

Fun environment to work in
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 June 2019
Maplin is a lively fun environment to work in. there are a lot of things to do and the staff is very friendly and will help when one is stuck. overall good environment.
Wasn't the best job
Sales Adviser (Part-Time) (Former Employee) –  Stevenage, Hertfordshire12 May 2019
I worked here when I was 17/18 and it was an okay job for a college student but they let me go when I couldn't do more hours because of college. The management weren't the greatest either as it took them 4 months to respond to my calls after doing work experience there
First work experience
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Gateshead21 January 2019
It was nice to meet the others and speak to everyone, but I didn't feel like I played a very big part in my role. I would often roam the store without any tasks for hours, partially due to the management system
Maplin's work experience
STORE ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside18 December 2018
I was only working in maplin for a short amount of time because it was for my school experience, every day we greeted customers and i enjoyed helping the customers that had the same interests as me.
Great company to work for!
Senior Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Isle of Wight23 November 2018
Over all i really enjoyed working for Maplin.
A company who really focused on giving customers sensational service and empowering colleagues to deliver.
Invested in training.
Lived and breathed a clear culture that revolved around the customer.
Great Management.
Typical Management responsibilities:
Opening and closing store / Banking / Cashing up / Staff appraisals / Health and Safety / Business Plans / Execution of Promos and general merchandising / Store standards / Staff training / Delivering KPI's / Maintaining customer satisfaction.
Pros
Always expected to put the customer first!
Cons
Sometimes did not get the work life balance correct but tried.
Electronic Retailer
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tamworth17 November 2018
Maplin was a good place to work with friendly staff and a flexible atmosphere however it has since shut down and therefore no longer able to work, I would still be there if I could.
Fun workplace, Always Something happening
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Hampden Park7 November 2018
The best part of the job was all the new toys coming in, Management was okay, could have been much better & salary was only minimum wage, but this was back in 2015 so it could have changed for the best.
Pros
Cool gizmos
Cons
Bad Hours
Friendly disorganised
Warehouse Operative/FLT Driver (Former Employee) –  Barnsley3 November 2018
I worked for Maplin electronics at a warehouse in Manvers, Rotherham, my job title was warehouse operative, the pay was low and the hours unsociable but i took the job as i needed an income and this at the time was available.
Retail and techincal support
Technical Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sheffield15 October 2018
Shop floor based work helping customers and providing a high quality service and assisting with products and problems.

I learned a great satisfaction from helping customers find the correct product for them but often management was only concerned with making the most money rather than providing the right product or support. Hardest part was satisfying customers and management simultaneously as next to no creativity permitted, often making it repetitive and impersonal.
Pros
Working with a huge amount of different customers and needs
Cons
Different managers required conflicting goals and where time was spent
Fun and interesting place to work
Team Leader and Keyholder (Former Employee) –  Redditch, Worcestershire30 September 2018
I only worked at Maplin temporarily before it went into administration, but I enjoyed every minute of it. I learnt lots of new things about customer service, as well as product knowledge in technology.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Stressful situations to be in
Fun place to work
Consultant CCTV/Security Specialist (Former Employee) –  Sheffield, South Yorkshire24 September 2018
Great company to work for, however they are no longer trading! Relaxed and fun working environment with customer satisfaction an emphasis. Enjoyed my time there.
Was run by idiots
Worcester Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Worcester19 September 2018
The retail level at Maplin was actually a good place to work, with people that actually cared about the customer and their jobs.
Unfortunately from area managers up the company was run by idiots who did nothing but run Maplin into the ground
Very fun and interesting
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Croydon16 September 2018
Working in Maplin was a very fun and interesting experience as it was a learning curve for me since it was my first ever job. The coworkers were so nice and management was also very kind to me.
Very enjoyable environment
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Newbury13 September 2018
You fit in very easily at Maplin, everyone you work with is very friendly and are there to support and advise you when you need help with a task. Working at Maplin, you work as a team at all times and because of that, it is an enjoyable place to work and can be very rewarding.
Pros
Great People
Cons
Now out of business
Best company I have ever worked for!
Sales Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Plymouth8 September 2018
I spent 10 years here starting off as a sales advisor and then ending my career here as a sales team leader before the business closed down in 2018, although we had sales targets and several KPI's there was no pressure on hitting anything other than your stores sales target.
Maplin was a company built on increasing brand awareness and everything was laid out to set planograms which made it very easy for staff and customers to find products.
Pros
2x 30 minute breaks, every procedure easy understood, every colleague had the same mindset on customer interaction
A fun, and enjoyable place.
Retail - Sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Lakeside Shopping Centre, Essex25 August 2018
If it had not have closed, I would have still, happily been working there. The other employees were fun to work with and be around, and management, in general, were relaxed and understanding.
Pros
Lunch room out back, flexible overtime.
Fun workplace, poorly treated
Sales Advisor- Paid (Former Employee) –  New Malden20 August 2018
I enjoyed my time at Maplin. It was fun to learn about the different products they sold and work as a team. I found that they did not pay very well and they were not good at maintaining the staff's jobs.
Pros
Flexible working hours
Cons
Poorly paid
Shop Floor Manager/Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Chelmsford17 August 2018
Great place to work. Different customer, same questions. Management are supportive of you in and out of work. Great team atmosphere. Staff are always willing to help customers and each other.
Pros
Great place to be
Cons
Now closed
Dedicated Staff
Technical Support Superviser (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh16 August 2018
Very professional staff great team spirit management could be a bit distant.

Frustrating part off the job was getting your ideas and concerns heard by management.
Worth it!
Flexible Worker- Employment (Former Employee) –  London16 August 2018
I really enjoyed the friendless and hospitality of Maplin. Although I didn't get paid due to age and work experience given by my school, I would very much recommend anyone to have an experience if you're interested in high-level tech and equipment.
Pros
Free to leave for lunch elsewhere
Cons
Personal Space