Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust

Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom26 reviews
This work experience placement gave me an insightful understanding of the day-to-day occurrences on a hospital geriatric ward. My day consisted of shadowing care staff and keeping patients company.
I was working in the Informatics Department, a fast paced project based department. Management tended to be reactionary rather than proactive in dealing with a lot of issues and potential issues. Lots of politics at the top.
Pros
Nhs, Public sector pensions
Cons
Management politics
Very stressful, never enough staff, as non-clinical staff there are no opportunities for career development/progression. The car parking is shocking! Your assigned a manager and never have any dealings with them, so your treated unfairly by those a band above you! Some staff are made to do a lot more than others and it is a very clicky place to work.
Management are overly officious and rule through a culture of bullying. Staff morale is very low and staff turnover is very high. Little or no encouragement for personal development.
Quality of work enjoyment varies between all departments and across all levels. personally I have struggled to find opportunities as regression and felt looked down upon for being a clerk, but at the same time have felt appreciated from other members off staff. Has its problems as all work places do but would recommend working there
Supportive management interesting work.Nice rest rooms.Good transport links.Nice Offices.Very busy place.Pleasant working conditions.Wouls like to go back.
A day at work began with the timetable I had created for myself. Mostly this involved teaching sessions varying from 1 to 3 hours. There might have been 3 of these throughout a typical day, the rest of the time was spent in administration and assisting my colleagues. Some days I travelled by car to deliver teaching at other hospitals in our group.
Learnt how I loved teaching and developed good relationships. Was not greatly supported by management who were not medical and i think resented the professionals. The hardest part of the job was supporting students who had failed their exams. The most enjoyable part was steering the students to qualification and seeing them achieve this.
Although a major trauma centre it is deceptively relaxed at times due to the full staffing rota and resources available. the team is always fun and relaxed but are relatively young, yet they remain professioanl and seek to provide the best service.
Very understanding management and flexible with family life but the place really takes it toll on your health with pressure to perform a millions duties at once.
On starting my role I wasn't able to fit in with the management. Left various messages for an introduction to the team and was ignored. I was kind and polite. But felt uncomfortable and there was a feeling of not being trusted. As well as jealousy amoung other female staff. I arrived earlier than expected to start work and was talked down too by a nurse. Whom obviously did not know my experience. I still feel now that I don't have a voice to communicate my feelings confidentially without other members of the team gossiping behined my back. I have shown support and given my number to the nurse in question. Showing her my loyality and was treated like a minor and left out of meetings and called different names by various staff. Whom think it's a joke. I have also encounter staff whom don't take there job seriously and made mistakes due to watching the tennis or constantly using their phone's.
Pros
Free lunch. But had to use my free time to listen to there point of veiws yet again
Cons
Supporting individuals through. Tough times and showing them compassion. Without judgement.
managers refuse to hire on more staff, pushing too much work on people, regulary remaking teams to handle whatever is the most urgent topic at hand, often putting an unfair workload on temps(such as myself) who dont receive training meaning meaning staff turnover isd high even for permenent positions. Job culture is to basically stay on topic with managers regualry coming over with more work or complaining when enough isn't done, any attempt to converse is often put down within a couple of mintues unless its work related.

BIggest issue i had was that Ideas to improve are taken by management and either ignored or overused to an extent people begged for things to stay as they were

All in all the only upside to working in this office was that the hours were flexible though overtime was pretty much a nessescity if you hoped to handle the workload, especilly for untrained temps
Pros
flexible working hours
Cons
poor management
Previous employee of wythenshawe maternity. The best team to work with ever. Really busy but team work is brilliant. Moved elsewhere now but still miss it everyday. Would not hesitate in recommending here as a place of work. Ul meet friends for life. Just dont take all the jobs incase i ever come back 😉
Pros
The teamwork, fun, variety, experience, autonomy of midwives, birth centre, labour rooms
Cons
No social places near the hospital, but that can be sorted! Very busy. Paying for staff carparking
Good patient care
few opportunities to progress for administrative staff

good working hours

enjoy patient contact

good induction

good services (employee health & well being, stress management etc)
Very busy, fast paced working environment.
There are many opportunities for training and personal development.

Large workforce.

Excellent staff benefits such as holiday entitlement and annual increment.
Management lack skills and spine. No teamwork within same department. Lot of bitchiness and back stabbing. Staff spend too much time gossiping about trivia.
Pros
Location easily accessible
Cons
Line managers weak. General management weak. Cronyism rife.
Great place to work with excellent support from managers.
Very busy workplace and lots of changes but lots of opportunities to develop and learn new skills.

Good holiday allowance and salary scales.

Would recommend this as a place to work.
Pros
Holiday allowance, annual salary increase
Cons
Very busy
I enjoy looking after patients but it can be stressful if you are short staffed.

They have a good vital signs observation online recording system linked to Doctors and ITU bleeps.
A friendly social working place, good opportunities for valuable experience.

I started working as a contractor and was quickly introduced to the team and trained up on inhouse systems
typical day at work revolves around preparing patient samples to be analysed.

I learned a lot at the beginning of the job, however I do the same roles every day so it is difficult to continue learning on the job.

Management is very good and laid-back, very helpful and never unreasonable.

The job doesn't particularly have a hard part, as its relatively relaxed and quite easy

the most enjoyable part of the job is the people I work with, the job could be a lot different if the people I worked with weren't as nice and friendly as they are.
Pros
nice work colleagues
Cons
low pay
A very negative place to work. Expectations are beyond what you can manage your expected to do 2 persons jobs at times. Management are not trained for the job, staff are teaching them even though they are on a higher band. Favouritism is rife and its who you know not if your trained or skilled for the job. People tend to get offered the jobs over others if they know someone who already works there especially if it's higher up. Too much back biting and segregating of the teams. Some staff members speak down to you because they think their titles automatically make them superior to you.
Pros
Pension and working hours
Cons
Overworked, favouritism, negative atmosphere, poor management
Great team work across the trust. I've met some amazing colleagues and patients whilst working here. I've learnt the value of working with others and how important it is to maintain good relationship with colleagues to make work and personal life manageable.
Pros
Amazing colleagues
Cons
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester University NHS Foundation Trust. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5