Manchester Metropolitan University

Manchester Metropolitan University Employee Reviews

United Kingdom120 reviews
University
Great place to work and study! Been with MMU for over 4 years and it has been a wonderful place to study events and do some work on the side as well! Recommend!
A cog in a wheel
MMU is a hornets’ nest of office politics in management & a merciless slog for everyone else. Working here left me with severe burnout & clinical depression.
Pros
Ordinary colleagues are lovely
Cons
Insane pace of work for everyone & idiotic game playing in management.
Bad Management
No PROPER work training given Very stressful working environment disorganized no proper job description given that does not add up with real job working conditions
Seems that if you arent a teacher or a management you are trod on and not looked after and are the first to be sacrificed. Even if you have worked there for years.
Demanding and fast paced
A customer facing role with technical and maintenance aspects.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with customers who have lost equipment, hadn't realise the value of the equipment and are expected to reimburse the university for the loss.

The most satisfying part is seeing the expression on someone face when you have helped someone solve their problem.

Being part of a team is essential.
Great student job
Great student job to run alongside university, with Flexible hours. The managers were great and we received good training sessions for before going out into the field. Nice team to work in.
Productive and fun workplace
Typical day: productive, busy
What I've developed: time management, communication skills

Workplace culture: collaborative

Most enjoyable part of the job: Staff, teamwork, confidence in own skills and abilities
Learning environment
I enjoyed the experience, I was doing a manual menial task job in a learning environment. So my experience may not reflect yours. I was made redundant From Hollings Faculty.
Pros
Working with highly trained staff
Cons
The washing up
Modern, friendly, supportive, inclusive
I worked on a short term contract as a placement administrator. I was made very welcome, everyone was patient while I trained, the building and facilities were excellent and the management team supportive and friendly. My colleagues were all lovely and MMU is pretty good with flexible working - great for working parents. It was a friendly and professional environment and I liked it a lot. I left to pursue a different career path but I’ll always be grateful to MMU. I went there after working in a toxic, trade union environment where bullying was rife, and MMU restored my faith in fair and decent managers! I’d work for them again!
Manchester Metropolitan University
Amazing work environment, friendly, supportive. Great opportunities to enhance skills and emphasis on development. Good management teams and flexible working hours.
Good place for Learn and practice
A wonderful place and a highly valued quality of research and teaching. The teaching stuff are on top and the environment is highly suitable for a good R&D career
Easy to get along
Had a fun time working with a very diverse team. The leaders were very supportive and helpful. Very prompt with any kind of complaints or grievances. Highly Recommend.
very busy helpdesk
MMU is a very busy IT support place to work with. You keep on repeating more over same stuff which restrict learning. Management here are highly professional.
Productive and worthwhile
Working for the university provided me with the ability to gain work experience which could help me in my future career and to gain confidence to travel where I've never been to before, meet new people and work in a teaching environment,
Domestic Assistant
I enjoy working in the Manchester Metropolitan University, because of the team work & seeing different people, because that's my nature. And, again the university staff are good, as well as our team members.domestics staff.
Pros
Sometimes free lunches
Cons
Not too much long hours
Lovely atmosphere, surrounded by network of supportive and professional colleagues. Learnt about the business side of University as well as being fully involved in event management and planning.
Fun workplace
Timings were extremely flexible , senior staff were incredible polite and tailored the job around my personal timetable. Students were respectful and mindful of each other
Poor employer lack of regard and respect for staff from senior management.
Very poor senior management people skills. HR do not hit statutory time constraints with regularity.
Distinct lack of respect or value for staff.

I would advice to seek an alternative employer.
On the whole good place to work
On the whole a good place to work.

I had several roles in three different areas whilst employed there.

Despite leaving I would still recommend this as a place to work for most peiple
Pros
long holidays
Productive and Flexible
The people in Manchester Metropolitan University gives us students to work in our own times and be flexible about it.
The environment is very chill and welcoming, while striving to help students to get to all the destinations that they needed to be in.
Disappointing
I worked in a department that made literally millions, geared towards customer service and welfare of resident students. An outside company ‘reviewed’ us for 18 months and decided profit was more important than students. We made MILLIONS. Whole department culled. Just like that. This happens every couple of years.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester Metropolitan University. Our community is ready to answer.
4.2