Manchester Airports Group Employee Reviews

Annualised contract
Customer Service and Security (Former Employee) –  Manchester airport16 April 2018
In the summer it is very busy at the airport. The security queues are very very long and there is no air conditioning. They put you on an annualised contract which actually means back to back 12 hour shifts. It's absolutely horrendous. Alot of people end up leaving. Unless they change this they are gonna be in trouble as a million more passengers are expected this year
Pros
Make a few good friends at work, free parking
Cons
Long hours, 0300am starts
Great Place To Work
Service Desk team Leader (Former Employee) –  Manchester12 March 2018
Loved my time at Olympic House at Manchester Airport, i was very upset to leave my fixed term contract as a Team Leader on the ERP programme. I learned a lot and met some fab people. Money fab and work life balance excellent.
Pros
Free Parking
loved working for MAN
Aviation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester7 February 2018
what an amazing place to work, this is a very serious job working on security so everything has to be done correctly or there are some serious consequences, which is understandable, you are in control of every persons safety in that airport and you need to make sure things are done correctly. The training was amazing and the staff and all the managers was very supportive and just a lovely place to work.
Pros
short hours to start, amazing environment, good salary
Cons
stood for a long time in 1 position
Life balance and plenty of opportunity!
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester26 January 2018
I've been working as a security officer for the past 3 years and honestly love it here.

My shift pattern gives me the opportunity to work around my life which is great. Opportunities over the years have presented themselves should you wish to develop however I'm happy staying as I am as it works for me and my life.

Wish I'd moved here years ago!
Pros
Shift patterns (should this suit your life)
Cons
Job can become a bit samey (not that that's an issue for me)
n/a (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester18 January 2018
I started working for MAG around 6 months ago and have settled in really well, everyone I have worked with across many departments have been very friendly and welcoming and I have already been given opportunities for additional responsibility and development within my role.

It can be a challenging environment to work in and is very fast paced but this makes sure everyday is different.

I really enjoy working here and would recommend MAG to anyone.
Pros
Friendly colleagues, development opportunities, great benefits
n/a (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester5 January 2018
I've worked at the airport for nearly 5 years now and have really enjoyed my time here. Every day is different, albeit it can be a challenging environment at times, it is genuinely the most enjoyable job i have had.

I have had the opportunity to progress through different departments which has helped me build by confidence and find the right career path for me.

I would 100% recommend as a great place to work.
Pros
Great supportive team
Avoid at all costs !!
Service Desk Analyst (Current Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester30 November 2017
I would not recommend working at MAG, it is a terrible place to work. Management have no idea how to run the IT department. People come and leave ASAP after being treated poorly.

Bullying staff is part of their culture and will sack you instantly if you show them up. Depressing comes to mind.

Avoid making a mistake by applying at MAG.
Pros
Duty Free
Cons
Terrible staff
Receptionist meet and greet
Meet and Greet (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester29 October 2017
Was employed as a receptionist for meet and greet parking for 3 years. Colleagues were brilliant. Then new management came in and the job became unbearable he is a complete bullying despite me taking this higher to the head of car parks nothing was done. To the point I went off on stress.

As a current HR Manager I wish I had knew what I know now as I had rights as I had been there for longer than two year .

I enjoyed it here up till new management
Pros
Free parking
Cons
Bullying
Bad management, staff treated like expendable resource
Aviation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester26 October 2017
I have worked here as an ASO for almost a year.

Management make huge errors with pay, cannot be trusted.

If you must work here, keep perfect records of all hours you do, all leave you book off, all payments you receive for work and overtime. At least that way, when it does all go wrong, you might get some of what you're owed back.

Annualised contracts are awful, you will not get a social life and say goodbye to your weekends.

They change your shifts at short notice, and you will be regularly expected to begin 12 hour shifts at 3am.

Anyone who has too much sick leave (2 or 4 occasions) gets sacked.

But the staff are quite nice. Most of the issues are with the resources department.

Getting paid for your breaks is one good thing about it.

If you can work elsewhere, do.
Pros
breaks are paid for
Cons
long hours, expected to get up at 1:30am very often, your pay will be wrong
Bullying is not recognised
security ambassador (Former Employee) –  terminals2 October 2017
bullying goes on all over the airport and is rife, managers dont recognise it or deal with it, horific place to work, other staff say its been going on for years and never changes
Pros
Salary
Cons
Middle Management
Airport
Programme Controls Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Manchester16 September 2017
The Airport is going through an exciting period of change whereby they are expanding and building better facilities for passengers.
The staff are all excited about the future for the airport.
Pros
Free Parking
care for people's safety and good teamwork
Aviation Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester23 August 2017
I left the job only because I had to move to another city. It was great, there is good teamwork, staff knows the primary purpose is the safety of passengers and staff as well.
Even if sometimes the shift is very long, we get breaks, time passes quickly and not too tiring. The work is on rotation, so you don't do the same thing all the time.
Pros
great satisfaction
Cons
not suitable if you have a child and need to pay childcare
Think Before You Start Here
Meet & Greet Driver (Former Employee) –  Manchester Airport, Greater Manchester21 August 2017
The drivers I worked with in general were good fun to be with. That's what helped the time pass. The job was easier enough taking cars from one place to another. The variety of cars made it fun. Car park managers in general were ok for me apart from maybe two of them.
Resource team were a nightmare. For a 365 days a years job, 24 hours a day; you can only contact them by phone M-F between 10.00-14.00. Then they never answered to me. 3 1/2 weeks to reply to an email. For a part time person I was clocking 50+ hrs a week. Idea was you worked less in winter Had no social life due to this and my rota had me working every weekend for 2 months.
When it got busy no one cared where the cars were parked in the car parks. We were parking anywhere we could. The rule of not parking on grass was forgotten till you hit something hidden. Then it was your fault.
Security checks were a joke. They kept ringing me up for information I had already given them. Ended up just making something up to shut them up and they took it. Couldn't use the canteen because I didn't have a security pass but could still work there. To me something wrong with that.
Pity as it could have been good with more thought from upper management.
Pros
Free Parking
Cons
Changing shifts constantly so can't plann ahead
Nice workforce, shame about support
Security Officer (Former Employee) –  Stansted Airport3 August 2017
If your after a job with little prospect of advancement or that leaves you without any type of social life whatsoever, then please apply, otherwise - stay well clear!!
Pros
not many
Cons
long hours, no social life
okay workplace
Aviation Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester24 July 2017
If you know people that currently work higher up in the airport then your in for a good ride if you don't then your going to be stuck in a rut working your backside off for practically nothing.
Fantastic place to work
Apron Controller (Former Employee) –  Manchester6 July 2017
I worked in number of roles at Manchester Airport. It's a dynamic and exciting environment to work in and offers opportunities to apply for different roles and advancement to management positions. It's ethos is to ensure its staff are motivated and well rewarded. The airport provides facilities to airlines and other companies and therefore needs to be very organized and well managed, and it certainly is.
It's a positive and enjoyable place to work, I honestly couldn't say there was anything I didn't like about working there, I loved every minute of every hour of every day. My only regret was having to leave to move to another part of the country for family reasons
Cons
Organisation does not have any respect for customers or employers
Customer Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Terminal 312 May 2017
Training is minimal and insufficient to do the job. However, in general, colleagues are happy to help. Equipment is not well maintained and continually breaks down, leading to delays in pax getting through security and stressing them out. There is not a manual for customer services operations so there are different opinions of how a particular task should be done or a situation dealt with. Not supported by management when faced with physically threatening behaviour from customers. There are a lot of colleagues who are bone idle and do very little work (there are good hiding places in the airport). Whilst some people are lovely to work with and work well in a team, others are difficult and there is a lot of backbiting. Most of the managers are weak and won't deal with difficult issues, eg, people who bring their phones into security and send texts, etc, when they should be working. The place is infested with mice and other nasty insects.
Pros
Free parking
Cons
very early hours, long hours, weak management, greedy head office management, lack of connection between senior management and those on the floor, lazy colleagues, no customer services manual so there's no defined way to do anything, if you make a mistake it's your fault
valet parking
Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 April 2017
Safely parking customers cars, ensuring cars are returned in a timely manner. There is job security however the shift work does not allow for a good work/life balance
Nasty Company
Passenger Service Agent (Former Employee) –  Castle Donington17 April 2017
Company does not view you as a number, let alone a person. Worst time of my life.
Had to get airport Police involved and they turned out to be useless.

It really opened my eyes.
Proffessional
PIDS ENGINEER (Current Employee) –  TERMINAL 1 MANCHESTER AIRPORT26 March 2017
Good and secure place to work. Expanding business. Professional and security culture, diverse population, free on site parking for employees, all facilities are catered for.
Pros
job security

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Manchester Airports Group. Our community is ready to answer.

Manchester Airports Group Reviews by Location