Malmaison Employee Reviews

perfect
Bar Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Aberdeen10 March 2019
I learned how to make all the special Malmaison cocktails, and I learned a lot about the Scottish Whiskies. Amazing place with amazing managers. I really enjoyed it.
Pros
perfect Team
Cons
Can't tell.
Never Again!
Supervisor role (Former Employee) –  Scotland14 January 2019
They will provide great training sessions, where you will find out how amazing company they are and how much they care about their employees and guests. In general i met so many fantastic people who work loooong shifts without any breaks and no food at all which is a joke if you work in this industry! it is ridiculous to work 12-14 hours without food, however on positive side it helped me to loose 10kg.
Extremely big staff rotation ( wonder why? ) could not get holiday aproved as was always understaffed, Supervisor postion 35p above minimum wage.
Management was mostly great but always overtired and underpaid by doing 20 hours free overtime! They also had to their job as well as working as a waiter at the same time. Phone didntt stop riningin while the manager was running a section plus emails, welcoming guests etc.
I have never seen so many depressed people quiting their job in any other place, and i only worked there for 1 year!
I worked in 3 star hotels before, i allways had my days off, always got staff meal, always enough staff so we could focus on our job rather than doing double job under stress!
I really have not enough words to describe how bad was to work for this company and i dont understand how they expect their staff to be positive and enthustastic.
Whoever is responsible for all these things clearly never worked in a hotel before.
Something really needs to change there because bad reputation is really spreeading fast and the number of good employees in this country is limited!
Dear Mal you need a revolution when it comes to how to treat your
  more... staff, because they bring you guests and guests are not stupid and they talk to us and see what is hapening!
Wake up!!!!
Pros
n/a
Cons
long hours, no breaks, no food, no life
poor
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Glasgow4 January 2019
-poor management
-high staff turnover
-not paid roughly £500 wages in total
-management do not listen to days required off
-the staff are friendly and the reason most people stay so long
Really good place to work for!
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Malmaison Oxford30 December 2018
I learnt so much during my time here and after my receptionist position here I got promoted as supervisor.
Highly recommended!
A lot of discounts in the high street and in another hotel from the company.
Pros
All good
Cons
No cons
The worst place Iv ever worked in
Housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Dundee, Dundee City11 November 2018
I really wouldn’t recommend to work in malmaison, well in housekeeping at least, treat everyone like there robots and speak to you so nasty to the point you feel like crying when you wake up to go to work, you get no brakes and work for 6 hours straight if you take a brake it doesn’t even get paid for unless you rush yourself and make your own brakes and you aren’t even guaranteed to get your full wage that you worked really hard for at the end of the month, the supervisors don’t even know how to speak to people and make them feel left out or not welcome as no one in the housekeeping department speaks English during the shift but even still the supervisors say “British people don’t work as hard” which is awful to say as they are in a foreign country, please don’t work for this place as the money and your health isn’t worth it !!!!
Worth place to work
Food Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear27 September 2018
I don’t suggest anyone to work here..... long hours to work without any rest. Unfortunately, supervisors are not friendly and they talk behind you to managers and general manager all the time. They help you to leave the place.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Long hours, low wages, awful management
fun workplace
busy kitchen assisting (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne13 August 2018
very good place to work in. friendly colleagues and organized kitchen. very good place to work in. weekends is very busy. I've learned a lot working here.
Best hotel I’ve worked for.
Senior Breakfast (Former Employee) –  Liverpool16 July 2018
Superb GM in place at hotel very supportive.

Good kitchen in place , I believe a new team is in place since I left .

Good company who try to do things the right way and look after the staff.
great job had learnt alot
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands3 July 2018
really liked my job enjoy meeting new people and working as a team I like learning new things management is not that great but great place to work great location
Awful Employer
Night Supervisor/Duty Manager (Full Time) (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham, Gloucestershire3 July 2018
Will never hire agency workers when short staffed, and will just spread your hours out over the week. So you end up losing days off for no gain. This is expected, and they will do this at least 1 week a month, iv had 4 weeks in the month before though.
Also everything is always the the team members fault, a Head of Department can never do wrong.
Pros
Friendly Staff
Cons
Terribly managed.

Want to know more about Malmaison?

Ask a question
Would not recommend this place to work
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne1 July 2018
Very hard to have communication with your colleagues . If you would you like to work and enjoy it please don’t apply for this company . Long hours to work without any break . Also , you will not have any food there is well. NO BREAK, NO FOOD.
In addition, I would like to say that the managers were okay but supervisors’s attitude were awfull.

It was my first time and last time to apply for this company.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Long hours, No Break, No food, bad attitude from supervisors
Okay
Bartender (Former Employee) –  Henley on Thames7 June 2018
Hotel Du Vin are reasonable to work for, they expected me to work long shifts and the work life balance is not great. Benefits are offered more when you have worked there for a while
Friendly people and upbeat atmosphere
Waitress and Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Liverpool6 June 2018
Hours were very long (such as 12pm - 2am shifts) usually with no breaks. The management team was very organised and helpful, with uplifting team talks at the beginning of each shift. The hotel itself was very busy and lively with plenty to be getting on with, although sometimes the manic atmosphere could get out of hand and become extremely tiring after a few hours.
Pros
Good tips
Cons
Long hours with no breaks
Reception
Receptionist (Current Employee) –  London5 June 2018
extremely poor management, the work-life balance you don't have a life! you're constantly under scrutiny always understaffed and majorly underpaid. a 4* star boutique hotel clearly failing to meet expectations for a flagship branch.
Pros
there are no Pros
Cons
no staff meals, poor pay, poor management
bad
Bar Supervisor/Manager (Former Employee) –  Liverpool4 June 2018
long hours, no breaks, average pay, no innovation, very little in the way of staff welfare, awful incentives that never actually rewarded successful completion
amazing
Bar Staff (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City3 June 2018
Definitley one of the best place I worked for the manager and all the staff were amazing and I wish I didnt leave and if they would have me back id take the job in a second
Not a good place to work
Reception (Former Employee) –  London20 May 2018
Pay is poor compared to the work they expect of you. The COO and General Managers bully staff, causing a high turnover and therefore inexperienced teams unable to cope with expectations. No meals on duty, no dry-cleaning
Pros
Not much
Cons
Most things
knowledge oriented but fun workplace
Food and Beverage Assistant (Current Employee) –  birmingham12 April 2018
A fast pace busy environment to work on. I would recommend it to people that like to challenge their limits. They provide hospitality based on knowledge, not superficial service. Friendly environment and great communication among all departments.
Pros
freedom to use initiative
Cons
bad on personal progress
Productive and fun work place
House keeping (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen10 April 2018
My day to day work was doing room service, mini bars and working on kitchen floor as well.
Very friendly atmosphere at work, great team work and high standards.
beauty therapist at malmaison spa
Beauty Therapist (Former Employee) –  Aberdeen, Aberdeen City3 April 2018
expected to work EVERY weekend sat and sun while manager and supervisor staff swapped taking turns at having weekends off - no social life

fully booked up with treatments from opening to closing and having no time between treatments to clean up room or set up, then falling behind and customers complaining

managers and supervisors book easier and quicker treatments in their own collums but book all the massage treatments to other staff

no commission for doing more treatments - you can do eight full body massages in one day yet the person who sits about on reception will be getting paid the same as you

unrealistic sales targets

expected to do the job of a therapist, receptionist, cleaner, waiter all at once

30 minute lunch break rarely happens - lucky if you get 15

clients can be totally rude and unrealistic and management will always side with them.
Pros
Discounts on food, drinks, rooms (sometimes)
Cons
pay is awful for all the jobs you do, no matter how organised you are you will run late with treatments, managers pick at everything you do

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Malmaison. Our community is ready to answer.