Maidstone Borough Council Employee Reviews

Quite a good Company to work for
Data Administrator (Former Employee) –  Maidstone28 October 2018
The advantages of MBC are the good salary, training & prospects as if you are made redundant they can place you somewhere else. the hours are usually flexible (although mine weren't) & they have a good pension.
Pros
Pension, flexible working
good place to work
Catering Manager (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent24 September 2018
this job no longer exists but was an enjoyable job with good hours and decent pay enjoyed most aspects of this role good people to work with and for all rounder
Pros
free lunch
Cons
very busy peak hours
Lovely group of staff, fun and busy environment
Corporate Support / Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent22 February 2018
A lovely team of staff. Busy from start to finish. In the corporate support department we carried out a lot of duties for other departments so each day there was also something different to do.
Cons
No flexability in hours
Find another job after a year or two..
IT Service (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent14 April 2017
When i first joined the council it was going through changes with sharing of services and this was ok obviously there are things that take time to get sorted out.

3 years on, unfortunately if you were to ask me whether i would recommend this work place i would say definitely not. The problem being it's all about saving money and cost cutting but to the extent that the service suffers.

The experience of working here is useful as you will never find a more fast paced environment and having to get tasks done that should have been completed weeks before.
Pros
Pension
Cons
Long hours, lack of progression, working environment
Busy working environment with reduced staffing resource
Housing Delivery Manager (Current Employee) –  Maidstone House1 April 2017
A typical day at work is very busy and pressurized with tight deadlines and timescales to deliver projects on time and to budget. Work levels have increased but with the same or in some cases reduced staffing resources.
Pros
Good salary and benefits
Cons
Long hours, unrealistic expectations
Good to do
Clerk Typist (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, Kent25 February 2017
I had just left school when I went in to his job. I learnt loads including how to deal with the public. There was only two of us in the office and the lady who trained me retired the following year. I loved the job it was my first one and I left to have my first child.
An enjoyable and rewarding experience
Website Assistant (Former Employee) –  Maidstone13 July 2016
The people I was working with were all great people that I would happily work with again, management was kind and made it feel like they really cared for my well-being.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the rewarding feeling I would get once something had gone live on the site.

The hardest part of my job was rewriting information so that the public could understand it.
productive and suppportive environment to work
Training Officer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone13 July 2016
Most enjoyable part of my day was delivering training and seeing the impact on delegates. A positive environment to work , i particularly found the Kent Benefit Partnership extremely valuable. Everyone in the partnership could share training resources, workshops, ideas and so on.
Pros
flexible working hours
An enjoyable fast paced environment
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Maidstone8 June 2016
A great place to work if you like progressing fast, helping others and being able to use your own initiative.
It was a good experience working on the phones answering calls from the public in the services I had trained in but the most enjoyable part for me was working out at the front of the council dealing with the public face to face and helping them as best as I could.
The team were very welcoming and assisted with questions when possible.
The management have a firm but fair approach to the overall running of the team.
Public Sector...
Rather not say (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, ENG16 December 2015
A typical day would involve dealing with staff that need everything doing yesterday, making working on projects very difficult as priorities change constantly and have been known to change several times in one day.
I learned a great deal however my advancing skills is 95% self taught and only 5% official training, training budgets are available apparently but they don't seem to want to book it.
Management is too top heavy yet non-existent. Multiple managers doing the same thing but not talking to each other and wasting time and money micro managing.
The co-workers are what make it worth working for the council, some may get on your nerves but then you do spend more time with them than you do your own family!!
The hardest part of my job is lack of training and thus a frustration with not being able to fully utilise the systems/tools/staff available.
The most enjoyable part of my job is when I have time to actually work on my projects/jobs without interruption, which is very rare.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Lack of training, low pay
politics and backstabbing
ex-employee (Former Employee) –  London Road20 October 2015
Do not go there. Many years ago good staff if opinionated were being silenced, forced to leave, reapplying for your own job. Illnesses and attempted suicides. Its really not worth it.
Pros
Good salary
Cons
Too many chiefs.
Proffesional
Environmental Health Officer (Former Employee) –  Maidstone, ENG31 July 2015
This was a one day work experience placement at Maidstone Borough Council. I worked in the Environmental Health Department for a full working day. It was a very interesting and educational day. I go to know the other employees in the team I was working with, and what life was like in the office. I learnt how reports were written and filed and how events are dealt with. I also went out to inspection premises' with another member of the team. We checked the kitchen's of several organisations in the area.
Good Employer
Revenue and Benefit Assessor (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, ENG4 May 2015
A good place to work but definitely not for the faint hearted. You deal with a huge variety of the public and the job is both challenging and rewarding. A typical day is 8.30 to 5.00pm however they do offer flexiable working and 9 day fortnights as well as home working to fit in with families. The offices are open plan although not the most comfortable to work in due to air conditioning issues. The employer promotes looking after the employee both physically and mentally and provides new sessions each year to help.

My section works very well as a team and can pull together well in busy times however there are a couple of people who are not the most friendliest which can make the working environment hard at times.

The hardest part of my job is sometimes following a regulation that seems almost unfair and not being able to do much about it. The most enjoyable part of my job is helping a customer in their time of need and watching as they come out the other side and no longer need our assistance.
Pros
break out area, pension, flexi time, perks reduced gym membership, beneden health care, unison
Cons
no job security
Good teams
Press and Publicity (Current Employee) –  Maidstone, ENG28 February 2014
There are a lot of people in the council who have long service records. This is indicative of their employment satisfaction. Very knowledgeable co-workers operating in a complex and political environment.