Macquarie Group Limited Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace but the hours are long
Technical Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London23 July 2019
Lovely modern premises near to Moorgate full of friendly, driven, people who work really hard. Macquarie is very much a Syndey based and run company and staff in London can expect to work long hours to keep in touch with people on the other side of the world.
PM - Macquarie
Financial Crime CCO) - Project Manager (Current Employee) –  London31 March 2018
Good environment to work in and work life balance. Would prefer a more challenging role but the team work in synergy to ensure deliverables are met. Day to dat would be engaging with stakeholders and establishing a clear path to understanding requirements and creating solutions to reflect with factoring in key elements such as budget, timescale, viability and resources.
Great company to work for
Project Manager (Contract) (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 January 2018
Insipiring, challenging workplace where individual contributions are encouraged and every employee's success (no matter how small achievements may be) are valued.
Great work-life balance
Operations (Former Employee) –  London8 July 2017
Great work-life balance & management are great! The business is really accommodating and provide constant support to ensure you work-life-balance needs are being met.
Cons
Pay is slightly lower than market rate
Management issues at the time
Dealer's Assistant (Former Employee) –  Melbourne23 May 2017
Macquarie was undergoing a huge redevelopment in management whilst I was there so there was some instability. Management issues aside, Macquarie was a very professional and fun place to work.
great place to work
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 January 2017
enjoyed my time at Macquarie a lot.
good hours and benefits
good working environment and eating facilities
free coffee and breakfast
In the city
SALES TRADER (Former Employee) –  London17 April 2016
Lack of leadership, management and direction. Organisation where people are blind to the fact that Europe is not in Australia.
Pros
In the city
Cons
Far away from Australia
German Power Trader
Senior Power Trader (Former Employee) –  London24 February 2014
Worked at Macquarie bank for just under 4 years. Joined in September '08 and helped to build the power business from the ground-up in a team of 3. First 9 months (up until Q209) were spent acquiring all the necesary documentation and approvals to trade. Started to focus on markets - was responsible for building front end tools for traders. Build spreadsheets to chart historic flat price, darks vs sparks, and time spreads. I would also spend a lot of time with my boss and learn as much from him about trading and our business at every opportunity. (We had a great relationship both at and away from work)

Nov-09 started trading front end contracts. Running very small positions with no overnight risk. Made me comfortable executing trades and I got a better understanding of market movements.

Mar-10 - Mar-11 - Given my own book . Started trading longer dated contracts. I had also started learning how to price up client orders and would give inidicative prices to clients (flat price, sparks &darks, illiquid pricing)

Dec-10 - My boss was made redundant. Was a very difficult time for me as he was my mentor and someone that I had learnt everything about the markets from. However, I saw it as a great opportunity for me. I was now responsible for managing both prop and client book across Germany. Was very happy with where I had come since starting at Macquarie but was concerned about future development - more specifically lack of growth and learning.

Voiced these concerns to higher management who were extremely happy with my performance. They assured me they were commited
  more... to the business and were looking to higher more traders and an analyst,

Jul-11 - My colleague left and for me everything changed. Realised that higher management were not serious about growing the business. From a purely operational perspective, I was uncomfortable being the only person on the trade floor with any knowledge of the power markets - created problems if I wanted to attend a conference or was ill/ on holiday as there was no-one who could execute client orders or manage positions.

Apr-12 - Macquarie decided to shut down power business. I was told that they thought I was a valuable asset and they wanted to keep me - was offered a job in coal markets, but after serious consideration, declined and decided to part ways.
Pros
Given a lot of responsibility early on
Cons
No formal training and lack of guidance from higher management
Competitive
Fund Admin (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2013
great if you love dog to eat dog work environment. competitive.
friendly enviroment
Business Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sutton Bridge, ENG19 August 2013
I work in a separate office which is extremely pleasant I cannot tell much about working in the main office.
Exellent Company to work for
Senior Reporting Analyst (Current Employee) –  Sutton Bridge, Kings Lynn, Norfolk5 August 2013
A challenging and demanding position stretching my IT skills into new areas almost evey day. Working with a small tight highly motivated Team.
Pros
A cycle ride away from where I live
Cons
6 month contracts
Result Driven Company
Associate Director, Equity Sales (Current Employee) –  London, ENG3 May 2013
My 9 Years at Macquarie have been excellent. It is a firm that is constantly growing around the ethic of giving new opportunities a chance. Be that with people and/or potential new revenue streams.

A typical day at work is to arrive pre 6am, get your head around global events that occurred overnight, get on top of the product/stock we are selling that day and then call clients to get orders. Each client is totally different so requires different selling techniques and methods. Our day finishes around 5.30-6pm when we are required to take clients out for dinner/drinks to build rapport.

Once an order is received it is about managing that order to make sure the client is happy with the execution. Some orders take 5mins some take 2 weeks.

Client entertainment is a big part of the job and we work in a very high pressure/result driven business. The most enjoyable part of the job is getting that big order and getting repeat business from a new client.
Pros
Remmuneration, Results are Identifiable, Teamwork, Dinners/Drinks
Cons
High Pressure, Long hours
Unable to provide specifics
Senior Associate Settlements Analyst (Current Employee) –  London2 February 2013
We are forbidden to post anything negative about Macquarie on any social media site. I fear that I am unable to post specific details about Macquarie and my experience there
Pros
breakfast provided
Cons
several