Macmillan Cancer Support

Macmillan Cancer Support Employee Reviews

Making a difference to people living with cancer
Committee Member (Current Employee) –  Stranraer, Dumfries and Galloway18 February 2020
To date I have attended a few committee meetings to plan fundraising events. The committee are a fantastic group of people dedicated to raise money to fund vital cancer services.
The hardest part is brainstorming new ideas to raise funds but seeing these plans come into action and raising the much-needed money for the charity is definitely the most enjoyable part.
Excellent
Electrician contractor (Former Employee) –  West Midlands16 January 2020
I only worked as a contest for a short time for Macmillan great organisation that provide great care to those that merit. Can’t praise them enough. Brilliant
Macmillan
Volunteer Worker (Current Employee) –  Christchurch19 September 2019
Great job and very rewarding. Can be upsetting but also uplifting to see how we can over come things and become stronger because of it. The people are fantastic too, the team are always behind you and nothing is too much trouble.
Volunteer
Volunteer Advisor (Current Employee) –  Midlands14 September 2019
I have been training at MacMillan 5 weeks and can't understand what's going on. Training involved Citizens Advice training and now office based with MacMillan. There were no proper breaks during training which was haphazard and at times we had not laptop to use. In the office I was training 4 hours with no break , when I ate my sandwich, 5 minutes as I had to whilst taking a prescription tablet ,no one said have a 15 minutes break or get a drink. I found one trainer very catty and unfriendly. I am thinking of applying elsewhere as a volunteer.
Productive and pleasant work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire23 August 2019
The company was lovely to volunteer for and truly cared about everyone involved and doing good in society in general. All the main employees were great and understanding.
Horrible management and work culture
Programme Officer (Current Employee) –  London5 August 2019
The management is really poor and not supporting at all to advance in your job. It is sad really considering that the staff feels very strongly about the aims of the organisation but cannot perform well under these circumstances.
Nice people with nice environment
Process Analyst (Former Employee) –  York, North Yorkshire22 May 2019
Nice people with nice environment.

Would love to work there again

I learned so much about how cancer support and training is provided in so many ways and in so many locations.

Love the idea of the Peace places that they provide for Cancer patients free of charge in various hospitals
Interesting work in a caring workplace environment
Freelance Researcher (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London30 April 2019
Although only on a freelance contract, I was made to feel very welcome and part of the team. There was a lot of autonomy but support when needed. There seemed to be a good work/ life balance coupled with interesting work.
Pros
Great people
Cons
None that I could see
Very friendly and very supportive
Lead Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Home Based5 April 2019
I have been a volunteer for almost 5 years and for me Macmillan has given me my life back after having to give up work due to my health issues.
Every member of staff is very friendly (those who have come in contact with during my time being a volunteer) they are very supportive and they offer training all year round The role I do I can do at home in my time
Pros
Expences working from home
Nice place to work
Supporter Care Adviser (Current Employee) –  Shipley, West Yorkshire3 April 2019
The people there are lovely and very supportive, Although progression is slow, they are keen on people developing their knowledge and skills. Generally a nice place to work.
Pros
good work ethic
Cons
slow progression
Poor management
Senior Event Officer (Former Employee) –  London5 March 2019
Found that my personality didn't fit into the alpha female environment. Lots of office politics and strategy playing. Very disappointing. Not very supportive.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Poor management styles, old office
nice staff
Befriender Volunteer (Former Employee) –  London2 February 2019
i have been a volunteer for mcmillan cancer support for few months
organised
amazing work culture
empathetic and kind staff
very nice place to work in
fundraising manager
fundraising manager (Former Employee) –  Devon28 January 2019
Talking to individuals, companies and groups about working with Macmillan Cancer support in a number of ways, increasing their knowledge about cancer and the ways Macmillan can support and working in partnership with them to raise money to support those affected by cancer
Pros
working from home
Cons
evening work
Buddy
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands20 November 2018
I love working for such a supportive charity I feel I have lots to give and the opportunity to do this is here. I would recommend volunteering for Macmillan.
Intern.
Design Assistant Intern (Former Employee) –  Vauxhall19 November 2018
Sort inter design role with Macmillan, I helped designers with any minor tasks required of me, with few admin duties.

I wanted an insight into how in-house designers worked.
Be careful which team you work for
Coordinator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London15 November 2018
There's nothing *technically* wrong with Macmillan. The people are nice enough, the work done is amazing, everyone seems to have bought into the organisation's vision, etc etc.
However, having started working here less than two months ago, I would say that be very careful about saying yes if you are the kind of person who likes to develop friendships and meaningful connections at work,or if your sense of engagement at work comes partly from the aforementioned things.
As Macmillan is so huge, the ways in which teams work are vastly different. The org is (at least on the face of it) very proactive about making employees feel included, offering support, being considerate, providing options for counseling etc. And I am sure that they are great in those ways.

But what Macmillan isn't taking into consideration is the fact that there are teams on which employees are going weeks, even months, without having any meaningful interactions with the people they spend 8-9 hours a day with. There are a lot of people here who are okay with that, but as someone who is motivated by the general vibe of the team and office I work in, I dread coming in every morning, especially because I know that I'm going to exchange 5 to 10 sentences with someone about some work related thing, and perhaps answer one insincere small talk-ey, inane question. There are people you can have a whole conversation with, and the next day it feels like you never spoke to them. Walking around on a floor occupied by over 200 people makes the silence even more pronounced. Are these people robots? why are they all so
  more... quiet?! Th

I was genuinely beginning to feel like there was something wrong with me, but I spoke to a new starter in the same role as mine on another team, and she feels the same way, so clearly we aren't alone here. I'm not sure what can be done to change this kind of dynamic, but I'm actively looking for a new role elsewhere, because I don't think I can survive in this environment very long.
Pros
Good name to have on CV, good cause
Cons
Absolutely no meaningful interaction with colleages.
engaging
Door to Door Fundraiser (Former Employee) –  Manchester27 October 2018
working for this company can be hard at times as it revolved around cancer, it would be quite upsetting when you encounter people who have had to deal with it also
Great
Process Design Lead (Former Employee) –  London12 September 2018
Great place to work, lovely team. Interesting work.

Would recommend to anyone thinking of working there.

Helping people affected by Cancer, it feels great to be part of that.
Awful place to work at
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Shipley, West Yorkshire1 September 2018
Management are awful, they need to go back to school and learn how to deal with people, have no people skills. Will never work here ever again and would highly recommend people not work here, will get treated badly over petty matters. You’re looked down on even for minor mistakes and they don’t like vocal people, even when you give your 100% you’re not good enough.
Pros
Cons
Everything, especially the managers, awful people to deal with.
An excellent charity to work at
Financial Guide (Current Employee) –  Shipley, West Yorkshire5 July 2018
Helping people affected by cancer and people living with cancer.

Financial Guidance provided to all - advocacy and casework, partnership and team relationship management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Macmillan Cancer Support. Our community is ready to answer.

Macmillan Cancer Support Reviews by Location