MacIntyre Charity

MacIntyre Charity Employee Reviews

United Kingdom79 reviews
Rewarding, stressful, fun and good team work
Macintyre is a rewarding place to work and the team work makes it a great atmosphere. It can sometimes be a little chaotic but no day is the same and it is a privilege to work with the students
Pros
school holidays
Cons
low pay for large responsibility
16 March 2020
Hi, thank you for posting this review, we really appreciate it, and love what you say about it being a privilege to work with the students.
Productive and fun to work in
They treat you like family, give you excellent memories plus if you are having family problems or you are struggling with anything that's bothering you,, they will help you out.
Pros
cakes when its someones birthday and have bank holidays off.
Cons
can be stressful
28 May 2020
Thank you for this lovely review, and we very much appreciate you taking the time to write it. We're so glad you feel like part of the Macintyre family, are helped when you are struggling (and get cake!).
Not sure how they get away with it.....
Pros: The people we support. Some of the staff are very supportive and lovely to work with.
Cons: Family and friends of seniors and managers get preferential treatment including set hours for relief workers (!), rushing promotions through and choosing who they work with. YOU KNOW WHO YOU ARE ! These same people make constant mistakes and operate clear favouritism. Their own mistakes are quickly brush d under the carpet. I challenge anyone to disagree with me.....
28 May 2020
Thank you for your review, although of course, we are disappointed by what you say. The conditions you describe are difficult for us to recognise when compared with the positive feedback we get from our dedicated staff in the Midlands. if you would like to discuss these matters, please feel free to contact the central HR or Recruitment teams in confidence.
Poor Management
Loved the job at first. But soon came to realise that unless you are prepared to be hit, kicked and have you hair pulled out in clumps, by adults, without complaint, management don’t like you. Several colleagues had been reduced to tears due to these incidents, management comment was “we need to put a stop to the crying culture here”. Lack of support from management is shocking. Actively seeking other employment.
Pros
Lovely, supportive LSAs, hours.
Cons
Poor Management, poor pay
28 May 2020
Thank you for your comment, and we are sorry to hear you are seeking other employment. MacIntyre takes staff welfare very seriously, providing extensive free training in positive behaviour support and other topics, and our management teams try to take a supportive approach. You would be welcome to discuss this matter in confidence with our central HR or Recruitment teams.
i loved working for macintyre
There are times wish i never left. I worked there on a contract for 5 years and on relief/bank for 5 years worked for the company in total for 10 years and wish Id never left my senior post.I enjoyed my roll it was just the sleeps getting to much 1 or 2 not to bad but 3-4 when your children are young to much now there growing up i am know looking to pursue my career now looking for a seniors/services Managers roll.

My area managers were really supportive but one of the heads of services/Line Managers did not have the managment skills but i would recommend working for macityre wish they paid more likw £9,00 hour as helps with the cost of living.
1 April 2020
What a lovely comment to read, thank you so much for taking the time. Thanks also for the constructive feedback you gave.
And if you wish you never left, keep an eye on our website to see what Senior or FLM jobs we might have going forward!

Wishing you all the best.
Very poorly run
Working for bucks no limit was a bad experience the management team have there favourites and single people out.the management do not support the staff in any way.
20 March 2020
Thank you for your review. We are sorry that our educational provision was not a good fit for you.
productive and fulfilling
I believe McIntyre to be a hard working charity that do great work and needs people to support and give them the tools they need to succeed, its a positive environment and training is good.
21 February 2020
Thanks so much for taking the time to write this lovely review, we really appreciate it. We will pass it on to our team in Oxfordshire and meanwhile, we thank you and all our staff for everything you do.
Miserable traumatising experience as an agency teaching assistant
I am very upset and disappointed about the way I have been treated as an agency worker for Macintyre. I have been working in the college as a teaching assistant for Macintyre through the agency. I am really passionate bout empowering and improving the skills of young people with disabilities. I am a really caring and comitted member of staff and very caring. My employment for the last three weeks as was a long term assignment until may 2nd. I was so happy with my role as an agency worker that I was travelling all the way from Oxford even at the time of the storm and I was never late. I contributed very activelly in classes even took the class myself facilitating games and exercises when the teacher was busy.
I even changed holidays and flights (at my own expense) in order to accommodate this new appointment.

However this week I was made to wait both on monday and tuesday for almost two hours from 830 to 1030 at reception for Mackintyre Managers who were very late, because of the new rule not to let temporary members of staff with the approval of a manager. I really care about my work so I was concerned about the young people that I was meant to be supporting(unlike others who dont mind waiting as long as they are being paid) and commented to the receptionist about these concerns, but I do not believe I was rude, I just commented. To my dismay after a very sucessfull week when I was praised by a teacher I got a phone call from the agency saying I had been rude to the receptionist and they do not want me back.

I am a passionate and caring and healing person,
 - more...
27 February 2020
Thank you for your review, and we are sorry you feel so strongly about your experience as an agency worker with us. We agree it is a shame you had to wait from the start of the working day at 9.00 on two occasions due to unavoidable delays. However we are sure that given the concern you have expressed for young people you will understand the guidance we have to follow in respect of agency workers. We can reassure you that no mistakes were made in respect of the young people's welfare.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at MacIntyre Charity?
Typical day
Love love love working for MacIntyre,
No 2 days are the same, support out for lunch, bike rides, walk in the park, although it does come with stresses, long hours for minimum wage, although top up on sleeps, management are great and staff are great,
12 February 2020
We loved reading this comment, thank you so much! You're absolutely right, it can be a challenging role in many ways, but seeing the results that staff facilitate with the people we support is just amazing. We're so pleased you're happy at MacIntyre.
I have being working with this company for nearly 4years now. It a real rewarding job
I enjoying working with maclintyre company because is a rewarding job. Making an impart in the life of people you are support is a great thing. I know some of the administration, very slow to act on your complain. But thinking of people you're supporting every day. It makes you feel happy every day going to work.
24 January 2020
Hi, many thanks for this review, and we're very pleased you are happy in your work and recognise what a rewarding job it is and what an impact you are making.
We're unclear which admin function you are referring to, but would be happy to look into this for you if you call our recruitment team with more details on 01908 357016.
Low pay ,overtime.
Good if you want to get the training in the profession but then have cut back from the benefits and it's a low pay. Not a company I would stay too long.
29 January 2020
Thank you for taking the time to post a review, and we’re glad you appreciate the free training MacIntyre provides. We are sorry you are not planning to stay long.

Our pay rates are reviewed each year and are structured, together with our benefits, to provide a good return for our staff. Our pay rates are structured to be mid-range compared to other social care and educational organisations, and this approach enables us to provide the free training and qualifications that most of our staff really value. Among other things, our benefits include a wide-ranging staff discount scheme, free confidential counselling and advice service, and a low-cost health cash plan.
Overall very good working with macintyre
I started working with McIntyre as a support worker in 2002 and promoted to senior support worker in 2007 . Before i resigned.My best bit about macintre is that so far they are the best in training.
The experience I gained at McIntyre is huge. I enjoyed working with McIntyre.
26 November 2019
Hi, thank you so much for posting this lovely review of your time with MacIntyre, we really appreciate it, especially that you picked out our training as a big plus for you.

We wish you all the best in the future and thank you for all your hard work with us.
Macintyre
An excellent employer. Employee supported well in oxford. Most enjoyable working with the team although at time quite stressful, mainly due to unforeseen conditions that are out if control.
I would reccomend this company especially the lifelong learning center.

I would if the had the chance work with the macintyre academy in oxford
26 November 2019
Thank you so much for taking the time to write this review. We are so glad you enjoyed working with the team at the lifelong learning centre and will pass your comments on to them.

Thank you again for the recommendation, it is much appreciated, and good luck for the future.
nice place to work and top staff
I love it here, fellow staff I work with in the head office look after my wellbeing and it's a comfortable place to work, love the people we support. love the company and they look after me and I have learnt to be more confident. Only thing money isn't good. I guess Mac is part of my D'N'A. and I've got to do things a meet people I wouldn't else where. Fellow staff always care how I am always someone to help. Makes a difference to my life.
Pros
They way staff get on with each other and they way we treat the people we support in
Cons
wages don't go up
8 November 2019
This is lovely to read, thank you very much for taking the time to post this review. We're so pleased you enjoy working here, that your colleagues are supportive and that you've had opportunities to develop.
Lack of staff support
Very poor salary for amount of work expected.
Senior management give no support or guidance but then complain of you get things wrong.

Staff allowed to get seriously hurt by people they suppprt who are sometimes poorly placed.
9 September 2019
Thank you for your review, and we are sorry your experience was not more positive. There are a number of communication channels staff can use if dissatisfied and we hope you were able to raise your concerns before leaving. In relation to your last comment, robust support plans including health and safety assessments are always in place, and we keep under close review the appropriateness of placements.
lovely work force
Macintyre employees are very caring and warm. Management is average. pay should be a bit more. Lots of training. And great job satisfaction. Opportunities to move across company.

Paperwork and being able to express your ideas is good.

cccdafsfjfkegcl ldnvlkcgmhe;i hmlc gjnclmboihtle k
Pros
flexible
Cons
a lot of out of hours work
3 July 2019
Hi, thank you for posting this balanced review of your time with us. We're very pleased that you found our employees caring and warm, and that you felt able to express your ideas. Thanks for your hard work.
Fun place to work
Great place to work, no 2 days the same, you get to support some amazing young people with big characters. Some young people like to do activities off site, so that could be the gym swimming work experience etc
Pros
Monday-Friday 9-4
Cons
Management could support their staff alot better
31 May 2019
Hi, thank you for taking the time to post this review, and we're pleased to hear that you enjoyed your work. Your phrase "amazing young people with big characters" really hits the nail on the head.

We're sorry to hear you could have been supported better though - if you would like to discuss this in confidence, please give our recruitment or HR teams a call on 01908 230100, we would like to hear more so we can improve.

Thanks again for your review.
A great care work environment
I was a support worker at MacIntyre for a year, the training we received was of good quality and the culture of work was great. All support workers were passionate about their roles, and there was a great level of care and professionalism.
Pros
Understanding management team
Cons
Early start and late finishing times
15 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to post this lovely comment, which we really appreciate. We're so glad you were happy in your role.
Average
Thought I was part of a good team until the last 3 months unfortunately I left with a bitter taste . I found that in the last team my face obviously did not fit and got no backing from the senior manager
Pros
Free time
Cons
Not very clear with their support
3 May 2019
Thank you for taking the time to post this review. We are very sorry that your more recent experience was not a positive one. If you would like to discuss any aspect of this matter in confidence with a member of our HR team, please call on 01908 230100. Thank you for your hard work for us and we wish you well in the future.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at MacIntyre Charity. Our community is ready to answer.
2.7