MacIntyre Charity Employee Reviews

Fun place to work - good team around you
N/A (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes6 February 2019
MacIntyre has a very good 'family' feel to work, and as long as you are performing well in your role, you will be supported. They are very open to new ideas and information, and provide a very good work/life balance and are very understanding of who you are outside of the work environment.

Whilst salary expectations would have to be tempered due to salaries being dependent on funding as a charity, it is otherwise a great place to work, and everyone pulls together in the hardest times.
Pros
Great working environment
Cons
Salaries/opportunities to advance limited
19 February 2019

Thanks for taking the time to write this lovely review, we're glad you were part of our 'family', and that you found people so open to new ideas and information. Best wishes to you for the future.

When I look back I think worst job I’ve ever had
Community Learning Facilitator (Former Employee) –  Berkshire3 January 2019
I worked for Macintyre around 5 years ago so things may have changed...
I was straight out of university bright eyed and enthusiastic. My second job following a move I had great expectations for the service I worked in, supporting young people unable to access full education.
As a worker, I felt unsupported by management and undervalued. Unable to attend vital TAC meetings to discuss the person I spent 5 days a week with knowing as their key person I would be best placed to share.
There was little room for creative thinking or autonomy as a key worker and the No Linits service was prescriptive and did not account for individual needs of the child. I felt like a baby sitter and do not feel the young people had positive outcomes as a result of the work I was restricted to do with them.
There was no ‘family’ approach which in all cases I saw was the key to moving that young person to a place they wanted and deserved to be. No feeling of ‘team around the child’.
Promises of progression never came to fruition. No office and an almost ‘virtual’ manager meant staff felt self employed almost.
Low staff satisfaction, the team I was part of all handed notice in within weeks of oneanother- I have no I idea the impact this would have had on the young people who from what I’ve heard stopped receiving support all together..
Poor training, being expect d to provide alternative education as an untrained teacher to children who would have benefited from being supprt to be in education, not supported to do as they please because it’s ‘individualised’.
Glad I left!
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
Poor staff satisfaction
8 January 2019

Hi, thanks for sharing your memories of this job with us. Obviously it's disappointing that your experience from five years ago was so poor.

What you say about 'little room for creative thinking or autonomy' is not a description of the service that we would really recognise, as No Limits is all about the individual needs of the young person being supported and all support plans are bespoke, with considerable input from the teams. In relation to training, all our CLFs are on the Level 3 Award in Education and Training programme, free of charge.

You mention that "things may have changed" from five years ago, and perhaps back then you were in a team that was struggling - difficult for us to tell. We're confident that if you came back today your experience would be good.

Best wishes to you and we hope you are happy in your current role.

Enjoyable
Relief Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire2 December 2018
Its difficult to give a review as each workplace environment was different but overall i would say it was enjoyable and definitely taught me alot and the staff members would do their best to help each other.
17 December 2018

Hi, thanks very much for taking the time to post this review. It's always interesting to hear what Relief staff have to say because as you point out, you will cover many different services. We're really glad you enjoyed the job, that you learned a lot and that staff are helpful to each other.

Ok place to work but there is better
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  East Midlands16 November 2018
Thoroughly enjoyed working with service users and interacting with them. Good trainer when shadowing
Disappointed with management
Disappointed with their HR department.
Pros
Service users
22 November 2018

Hello and thanks for taking the time to review your time with MacIntyre objectively. We're glad you enjoyed the key part of your role: supporting people with learning disabilities, and that you had good training.
Sorry to hear of your disappointment with other aspects. If you would like to discuss, please feel free to call Tess Marshall, Recruitment Officer, on 01908 230100, in complete confidence.

Funny workplace
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Flitwick10 November 2018
Help them in their daily lives 24h to improve their skills and have a dignity live. You can make activities programs, have fan going out and enjoy with the rest of staff
Pros
Flexibles days off
Cons
work shifts
22 November 2018

Hello and thank you for this review underlining how we support people to live with dignity, all while enjoying teamwork with colleagues. Much appreciated.

Not professional
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire26 October 2018
Do not have common courtesy to respond to enquiries. Promises of call backs not fulfilled, emails ignored. Not very professional especially for a charitable organisation.
Cons
Lacking Professionalism
2 November 2018

Hello and thanks for your feedback. Obviously we're concerned by what you say of your experience, but without some context regarding the type of enquiries you mention, it's difficult for us to comment constructively. We would be interested in finding out more so please feel free, if you wish, to call the recruitment team on 01908 357016 in complete confidence.

Educational and productive
Relief Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire5 September 2018
My typical day at work varied. Sometimes, I take the service users out and other times I care for them in their own home. I learnt how to care for individuals with learning disabilities and physical impairments and understand their language of communication. Generally, I did not work with other staffs but the ones I met through passing were very friendly and welcoming; they were very forthcoming with information that could help me understand the service users. The hardest part of the job was balancing my work hours with university assignments and lectures but I managed to find the balance and excel with it. The enjoyable part of the job was the smiles the service users had when you conversate with them and get involve in the activities they liked.
14 September 2018

Thank you for this very realistic review of the challenges with balancing university and work commitments. A lot of our Relief workers take the role in order to earn money doing a rewarding job while at uni. We're so pleased you enjoyed working with the people we support and getting them involved in different activities. Good luck in the future.

Rewarding
Relief Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wingrave, Buckinghamshire9 July 2018
The young people you meet will change your life completely and make it better. The training offered to staff is very very good and also held often. The diploma you undertake is time consuming but worthwhile.
Pros
good holiday allowance
Cons
difficult to find support after challenging incidents
13 July 2018

Thank you very much for this review of life at our children's home and school in Wingrave. The young people are indeed amazing, and we are glad you picked out the training MacIntyre offers. We will mention your comment around support to the management team. Thanks again.

Rewarding job. Great interactions with the individuals we support
Support Worker (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Great Holm Milton keynes30 June 2018
I have to say there are parts of any job that we wish we could change but working for macintyre I can say there is not alot, wages is a big one but you don't do this sort of job if you want a high pay grade.
Working with the individuals we support is so rewarding to see someone smile and know it is you that has made that happen by doing something so simple but changes someone's life for the better that is a reward in its self.
The management is great they always listen to what I have to say if I have any worries or concerns, if I need time off they always do there best to accommodate me and they trust me to do what I feel is best for the people I support so you get some freedom to make our own choices with the individuals to give them the best life possible but will always give you advise if it is needed.
The training is great there is always a new one to go on if you are willing you have your e-learning that you can always go back to if it needed. Best choice I ever made coming to work for macintyre.
Pros
To change someones life for the better
Cons
Wages
3 July 2018

Thank you so much for taking the time to write this lovely comment, it is so great for us to read. You're absolutely right about the rewards in seeing someone smile as a result of your skill, hard work and interactions.
Very pleased as well to read your positive comments about the local management team and the training.
We wish we could pay more, and we agree none of us work in this sector for the money, but for the rewards. It takes a special kind of person to bring out the best in vulnerable people.

Enjoyable and fun place to work
Support Worker Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Rock Ferry18 June 2018
Great bunch of people, very rewarding to look after such lovely people. Taking people out for days out such as Zoo visits, galleries, cafe, pub lunches. Gaining experience in hadleing medication, accompanying to doctor/ hospital visits, taking care of everyday needs such as shopping for clothes, shoes, toiletries. Planning holidays, and accompanying them on their holidays.
Pros
Feeling as part of a family
Cons
Worrying about the residents
22 June 2018

Great to read this comment, thank you for taking the time, it sounds like you gained great experience all round. We think it's one sign of a talented Support Worker to worry about the people we support - when you're part of any family it kind of goes with the territory. But we hope you didn't worry too much! Thanks again.

Excellent work environment
Support worker full time (Current Employee) –  Warrington, Cheshire15 May 2018
A great organisation to work for. Every day/shift is different. The Managers are spot on and know the people we support and their needs extremely well. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping people to live independent and full lives. The hardest part of the job is sleeping on a single bed during sleep ins when I miss my double bed at home. I have learnt so much more about social care laws and how to participate in person centred care where the people we support are put in the centre.
Pros
Great staff teams who are experienced and patient good management support and training.
Cons
Would love better pay
29 May 2018

Thanks so much for this lovely review - you really capture what makes working at MacIntyre special, and we're really pleased you've explained how much you've learned. Shame about the bed, be careful you don't fall out!!

great and supportive teams, with a true value base, that make outcomes come to life for people supported
regstered manager (Current Employee) –  Wirral8 May 2018
I have been very fortunate to work for Macintyre, surrounded by great teams, fantastic management, and a true value base that is given to both people supported and staff, macintyre really does deliver a person centred service, and the best part of my role was supporting the teams to deliver great outcomes for the people we support.
Pros
being valued
10 May 2018

Hi, thanks so much for this great comment, and for all your hard work achieving those great outcomes!

Excellent Charity
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Leicester12 February 2018
A very rewarding experience, gaining good knowledge alongside in depth training and support in your role. Would highly recommend considering application to this company.
26 February 2018

Thank you so much for this lovely comment about your job in the Leicester services, we're delighted you enjoyed it so much.

Lovely people to work with, very rewarding
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Worcestershire7 February 2018
I worked across 2 services at either end of the spectrum, one service home to very able and outgoing gentlemen and one service to adults with profound and complex needs. The variation was great! Not a day was the same and the staff team were really kind always putting the people being cared for first. A really lovely atmosphere that didn't feel like a 'care home' but a 'real' home. I was sad to leave as I moved away and would go back in a heartbeat!
Pros
Quality time with people living in the home and good support from team
Cons
Not great salary for unsociable hours but usual in healthcare
9 February 2018

Thank you so much for this lovely comment, which is great for us to hear. It was really good to hear you make the distinction between a 'care home' and a 'real' home - that's exactly what we strive for. Wishing you all the best in the future.

Average job
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester4 February 2018
Working as a bank support worker I found it very annoying that I was put on a Rota week after week as if I was a permanent staff member working full time.never met the senior support worker who was doing the Rota in the house either.

I only did 2 shadow shifts before my lone working with the client.he was a nice enough lad but I felt I was put in difficult situations as he was very easily led to hang around with the wrong crowd and I was told very little on procedure of how to deal with this.

Long hours with all care jobs so no great surprise. Also low pay like most care jobs.

Training was all on line to do yourself...not the best technique as can be quite tedious.

Area manager was lovely and friendly.
26 February 2018

Hi, thank you for your comment, and we're glad you found the Area Manager 'lovely and friendly' (we agree!).
We're sorry that the rota didn't appear to meet your needs, and also have some concerns around what you say regarding your training and induction. If you would be willing, we would very much like to hear more about this so we can take any action needed - please feel free to contact me, Tess Marshall, on 01908 230100, in confidence.

Not too bad, but not the best
Manager (Former Employee) –  England30 November 2017
The information you are given before your interview does not reflect the actual job setting. So be warned that the benefits may be less than advertised and there may be more commitment asked. Generally these are things that are written into policies or an expectation of the job that is not shown in a job advert.

There is a lot of training that happens, although the majority of training courses have not been too helpful towards my job role.

As with a lot of the care sector the salary is low. Although there are other companies that offer a higher wage for the anti social hours worked.

management are generally pretty good. But there has been some astounding decisions made while I worked there which I could not believe were made.

the culture is generally good, however from my experience there is a strong feeling of people not wanting to work there and disliking the company.

The work life balance is very poor. generally the only time I have properly had off is annual leave. I can get called in on days off or called on days off and there are so many expectations on you and when you work that it is impossible for me to say that I have a healthy work life balance despite trying.

there was also a long wait for me to get the job in the first place.
Pros
Free Training, nice clients that you work with
Cons
Long Hours, Poor Choices and wage, unadvertised disadvantages
4 December 2017

Hi, thank you for adding such a detailed review of your experience at MacIntyre. We are sorry you didn't enjoy every aspect of your job. Relating to your comment about people not wanting to work here, we're sure that all employers have some people who feel this, but for us it doesn't generally seem to fit with the engagement and positivity we see around the organisation, for example at the road shows.

We're very interested in your comments about training - as you rightly pick out as a positive, training is a big part of what we do, so it would be good to understand why the specific training you received didn't help you do your job. If you have time and are willing, we would like to find out more about this and generally what we could have done to work with you on the aspects of your role you didn't enjoy. Please feel free to give me a ring in complete confidence - Tess Marshall, Recruitment Officer, 01908 230100.

Poor Management
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Chesterfield, Derbyshire21 November 2017
Bad management and poor structure. Was a lovely job if they stayed out of it. Should pick better as never thinking of the staff, only themselves. Poor communication
Pros
Rewarding feeling
29 November 2017

We're very sorry you left MacIntyre with such bad feelings about the management and structure. Without knowing the details it's difficult to comment constructively, but you would be very welcome to call Tess Marshall, Recruitment Officer, on 01908 230100, in complete confidence, to discuss.

Not a nice environment (Nights)
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Wingrave, Buckinghamshire16 November 2017
Worked waking nights here and the management suck!
You are all expected to work weekends while the boss and her senior do not work them. Senior managent need to look at ways with ensuring the rota is done fairly.
The boss needs to step up and instead of making all her staff work weekends she should work them aswell.
Pros
Support staff are friendly
Cons
Weekends not being done fairly
17 November 2017

We’re sorry you were unhappy with the night rota in this job. We hope you raised this issue at the time – there are many avenues for doing so, including your Wingrave Staff Council representative. We have brought your comment to the attention of the senior management team. All best wishes for the future.

Unsettle
Practitioner (Current Employee) –  New Ferry, Merseyside3 November 2017
When I started in Macintyre six month age,I loved my job-I love people we support,I like the team,I like the environment and the company policies and care for the clients.
But in the last month the situation has changed.
At the moment the work place is in haos,very disturbing,unsettle and unclear . It `s difficult for me but I have to try to look for new job.
8 November 2017

Thank you for your comment, and we are sorry you're feeling unsettled. We would recommend that you talk to your manager if you can, or in confidence to your local Staff Council member or to me, Tess Marshall, Recruitment Officer on 01908 230100. It would be such a shame to lose you from a job that you have enjoyed up to now. Hopefully whatever this situation is, we can get it resolved soon.

Very rewarding
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bedfordshire3 November 2017
The shifts are busy and rewarding. I would recommend this company as there are opportunities for development . Management is supportive.
Usual issues with a few staff members in it for wrong reasons and can bring the place down
Pros
Lots of job satisfaction
Cons
short staffed, end up working on days off.
8 November 2017

Thanks so much for this comment, and for recommending MacIntyre as a great place to work. We're glad you're happy here.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at MacIntyre Charity. Our community is ready to answer.