Luton Borough Council Employee Reviews

Very nice experience
Carer for family member (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire1 September 2019
you have to work hard but luton Borough Council good and Adult Social Care it’s very good I’ve been working eight year with them also disability living resot so they all work as a team and they are looking after people specially and the people very well very nice experience
Don't go anywhere near Democratic Services
Democratic Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Town Hall, Luton6 August 2019
I worked in the Business Intelligence department for 4 months. The people were friendly, welcoming and good-humored. I then moved to Democratic Services for 6 months. That department is more like a cult, based around a venomous Team 'Leader' with zero charisma; a pedantic joy sponge with chip-on-her-shoulder views of just about everything, a miserable ignoramus with a homophobic outlook. The overall manager is an equally toxic midget, both physically and intellectually. The entire department have their heads so far up their own arses, they haven't seen daylight in decades. I have never felt so much forbidding animosity in a workplace. The only job in my life that I have walked out of without giving notice.
Diverse
Risk and Insurance Assistant (Current Employee) –  Luton16 July 2019
Very flexible. But different departments have different rules. Need to have the same rules applying to all throughout the organisation.
It is management heavy.
No canteen
They finally recognise people are working and can work with illnesses.

The pay needs to fall in line with inflation
Flexible and agile working is good.

There is no much recognition for long term workers.

They have come a long way in terms of good employers but still along way to go.

There is a good chaplaincy service.

A very diverse council .
Streamline
Payroll Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire13 June 2019
Processes and procedures needed to be streamlined. The department I worked in there was too many politics which were unnecessary, conflicts were not dealt with.

The system used did not work effectively.
Seasonal Job role - Very flexible
Personal Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire26 March 2019
A highly flexible role with the ability to learn a lot within a short space of time. good internal support available if needed. Great role for someone looking for a flexible role.
Good Place to work
Administrator (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire28 February 2019
Good Place to work, good diverse culture, flexible working and good amount of annual leave. Good employee benefits like discounts, pensions, time off in lieu
Pros
Flexible Working
Love my job!
Economic Development Officer (Current Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire28 December 2018
a proud council employee. Would like to stay here as much as possible. Progression can be made easily due to plenty of internal opportunities and management support.
Developmental and friendly environment
Business Support Administrator (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire27 December 2018
As with most councils - Luton Borough council had a very diverse and well cultured office. With people from all different back ground and all different education/experience history. Safeguarding board was a very structured and supportive team.
Absolutely Fantastic
Business Admin Apprentice (Current Employee) –  Luton11 December 2018
I enjoy my job thoroughly as I have learnt alot in my role and hope to learn more as I progress. The day to day tasks vary and I enjoy the challenge. The management is very good and so is the flexibility of the job.
Pros
Flexible work hours
Good place to work at
Locum social worker (Current Employee) –  Luton town10 September 2018
Excellent place to work with good management support.

Excellent support with cases.

Good culture and job life balance is promoted.
I love working here.
Pros
Good job work/life balance
Okay place to work
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Luton15 August 2018
Its okay to work here and people are nice but no one is happy. People take jobs on their egos and dont do what they are suppose to do and focus on other peoples jobs.
Pros
Some people are nice
Cons
job culture is bad
Hard working
SPECIAL EDUCATIONAL NEEDS (SEN) 1:1 (Former Employee) –  Luton27 June 2018
Must be willing to go above and beyond - not mind putting in the extra time
Great teams, professional, and in the education sector great job satisfaction.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Salary
Professional and productive
Office worker (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire26 May 2018
All of the staff were accepting and friendly towards me. A productive and peaceful place to work where I learnt lots of new skills like filing, food safety, email and answering phone calls.
Pros
Quiet and stress-free
soul destroying
Financial Assessment Officer (Former Employee) –  town hall11 May 2018
never ever work for your own local authority, it will claim your hairline well before your thirty and the pay to job work load is worse than a slave . do not ever give your time to these people
Pros
nothing
Cons
sue nelson
Work load not sufficient
Strategic IT Sourcing anager (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire30 March 2018
enjoyable work colleagues and workplace culture mainly positive. Organisation change affected the staff moral and job security element. Excellent agile working and accommodating to work life balance. Engagement with stakeholders was good and supplier engagement was excellent. The strategic vision of the organisation did not always cascade down to managers.
Pros
Agile Working
Cons
Not enough work
Payroll Officer
Payroll Officer (Former Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire6 March 2018
A typical day at work environment and where you could learn more on your field. Fair working and good teamwork place. Management are ready to listen and act.
Pros
good workplace culture
Cons
Salary too low for experience
Knowledge based adn rewarding
Specialist Safeguarding Practitioner (Former Employee) –  Head Office and Luton Policd Station MASH25 January 2018
Challenging client group however the staff are very skilled and work within an integrated MASH framework. Senior management very supportive and creative.
a great experience
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton23 January 2018
I worked in three different Schools with students aged for 6 to 16 with many different special needs, i worked well as part of a team. we were all very supportive to each other, I wrote the homework and any comments or concerns for their parent/carer in the home book.
We had a meeting every morning to discuss any problems that the young people in our care are having and try to find the best way to help them, I went to every class during the day with the student in my care, explain what the teacher wanted them to do. At the end of the School day i had a review with my line manager and file all paper work.
Pros
I completed my NVQ3 in teaching and learning certificate
Cons
No cons, I moved house
Great Potential
Housing Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Town Hall Annexe5 January 2018
An organisation with loads of untapped potential. Very busy Organisation, more akin to a London Borough.
Great staff and very nice offices.
This can be an award wining Company if there is more focus on maximisation of external income and a total structural reorganisation of the Housing Management team.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Hard work and long hours. Incredibly busy council
review
Safeguarding Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Luton, Bedfordshire23 October 2017
It is okay, but not a good place to work if you want to progress.

I have worked here for approximately 6 years, I found working here was positive as I was growing up but I continually wanted 'more' from my job and it was hard to find 'more' in my role.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Luton Borough Council. Our community is ready to answer.

Luton Borough Council Reviews by Location