Lush Cosmetics Employee Reviews

What you would expect from a low paying Retail Job
SALES ASSISTANT (Former Employee) –  Oxford12 October 2017
The products are lovely and we would get 50% off. The role itself was very low paying and we would be scheduled in very irregular shifts. Very often we would have a 3-hour shift in the morning, and another 3-hour shift in the afternoon, with a 3-hour break in the middle. The reason we were scheduled this way was so that we didn't get a paid lunch break. So in effect I would have to wander around the city centre for 3 hours waiting for my next shift as it was not worth going home during that time.
Great Ethics, Questionable Management
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside3 October 2017
During my time at Lush I have worked with some amazing managers however some people are given high up jobs based on their popularity rather than their ability.
Productive and fun
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 October 2017
Fun place to be
excellent staff discount
good work place culture, no discrimination, equal opportunities for all. hardest part of the job is having to learn all the products
great place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Trafford Centre, Greater Manchester30 September 2017
It feels like a fulltime job even with part time hours because we have to come in for 4 hour shifts 4-5 times a week. Other than that, its great, no individual targets but can get stressful as you have to be a very open and outgoing at all times for this job.
Pros
50% discount
Cons
4 hour shifts
muy bien ambiente de trabajo
Asistente de producción (Former Employee) –  Bournemouth (UK)27 September 2017
Increíble fábrica, ambiente de trabajo muy bueno, jefes extraordinarios
Surprising atmosphere
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Somerset19 September 2017
For a huge Lush fan i was really shocked by the managers attitudes to products and staff satisfaction. they come across really passionate on the shop floor but behind closed doors were much more capitalist and money hungry. perhaps my experience was so negative due to my naivety and age but i personally felt incredibly stressed the vast majority of my shifts as managers were very strict and not very flexible or understanding. this is the perfect job for you however if you have a keen interest in Lush or good experience in retail. the training is rigorous and unique, teaching you a quirky approach to sales.
Pros
discounts and fancy dress
Cons
a lot of information to learn, very quickly
Good ethics, shame they don't treat staff the same!
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow18 September 2017
Terrible management, high targets daily! You have to force yourself on people who don't want to be bothered while shopping. You have no work/life balance! The pay is minimum. The staff discount is great though and very good training.
Pros
Good staff discount, good training, awesome colleagues
Cons
Long hours, terrible pay, horrid management, no work/life balance
Fun but management structure bad
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  West Sussex18 September 2017
Lush started as a fantastic place to work but slowly the company changed and became more interested in making money than looking after their staff.

Stores are often managed by very young people with little experience which makes it very difficult.

My colleagues were amazing though and made the job fun, and a lot of customers were returning ones - which meant you could build good relationships with them.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Bad management and support
Lovely place to work and lovely coworkers
Crew Member - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Bournemouth, Dorset16 September 2017
I love the work environment and the people you work with. They make your safe fun and enjoyable; furthermore, the targets needed are easily to achieve. Able to ask any questions and get helpful answers and support.
Pros
Good pay, lovely atmosphere
Cons
Stood up all day, feet tend to ache
Positive & Interesting!
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  St Albans8 September 2017
My experience at Lush was overwhelmingly positive. Even if someone wasn't in the shop, you're always learning or having interesting conversations with coworkers. It's a very demanding job, socially, but it's worth the hours and rewarding.
Pros
Rewarding, Interesting
Cons
Socially demanding
Interesting and a fun place to work
Christmas Temp Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bristol30 August 2017
Working at LUSH Broadmead taught me a great deal about how to important the experience that a customer faces when entering the store, as this further defines whether they purchase from you or not. Not only did I learn fascinating elements of the company's products, especially how the cosmetics were made; but I also learnt how to interact more intimately and productively with customers. This took a while for me to adapt because not only did I need to focus on my social skills which I know I am very good at, I needed to make sure that the information I was providing for customers were accurate and helpful. The management were very supportive towards this obstacle and were consistently present if I had the slightest query or worry about my approach with customers.

My employment with LUSH lasted throughout Christmas, one of the most busiest times of the year for the company. Therefore, this was a very busy time for myself and my colleagues who were selling the products. With this, I learnt how to deal with pressure, and multitasking with being attentive towards customers, and adding to the stock in store, and working on the till.
Having worked in jobs previously that required me to handle pressure, such as working behind a bar in the nightclub OMG, this was an interesting learning curve as I had to ensure that I was making sure that the customers were having a positive experience when visiting the store, whilst also keeping in my mind what I'm selling to them and with their ingredients making sure it's the best possible recommendation of product for them.

I truly enjoyed
  more... my time in LUSH Broadmead and I thank the lovely staff there who taught me many great skills and elements when working in hospitality.  less
Area for improvment
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester29 August 2017
I joined as a christmas temp and at first i enjoyed the job role but there was no strong lead management. The work moral was very low with little benefits, Managment could be better
Fun
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow24 August 2017
I would love to work in a bookies and I would give it my 100% to work hard its a good place to keep your day going I love football and horse racingect
Great foundations, poor execution
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Devon22 August 2017
I can only talk about my experience within Lush, and while it is a company built upon fantastic values it feels to me as if it has lost its way.
Members of my management team made the role almost unbearable. You are expected to commit to a significant amount of studying outside of the role however the pay does not reflect this. Within my store there was very little progression and very few opportunities to take advantage of opportunities within the company. My shop is also very cliquey, there is an 'us and them' enviroment. The majority of my shop is injured due to the amount of heavy lifting we are expected to do.
Lush do pay the living wage.
Very rude customers, especially at Christmas. An average day in December is being sworn at for 8 hours because the store has ran out of Snow Fairy shower gel, with very little support from the management team.
Pros
50% staff discount including spa treatments, generally flexible hours
Cons
Limited progression, poor pay in comparision to workload
Amazing workplace
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Sachsen9 August 2017
Absolutely stunning job. Lovely team, amazing customers and top quality products. Giving advices about products. Amazing smell of every product. Very interesting job.
Pros
Great genefits
Cons
Lot of remember
amazing workplace!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Peterborough8 August 2017
lush will train you to the highest levels of customer service whilst keeping you smelling amazing. The in store energy is a beautiful work environment and the campaigns and ethics of the store arw something we should all be getting more involved with
Pros
lush!
Cons
retail
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Colchester, Essex30 July 2017
I have enjoyed working within the company, however i unfortunately have no way of growing and expanding my knowledge and skill base. It has a friendly atmosphere and great fun is had on every shift, although a hard working team helped me flourish in my Sales skills.
Pros
Helpful and fulfilling
Cons
No room to grow within the company
Fun in the short run
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Various27 July 2017
The culture has vastly changed. I'd advise (studying or not) if you have been with the company for more than 2 years to think about what you really want from the company it is easy to get comfortable and 98% of the time you meet and work with incredible people but don't let that stifle the other dimensions to your professional self. Development is much harder to see happen now and progression is a much longer process than it was in the past, this and your experience is so dependent on where you are.

It's a great job with loving people and good fun. Lots of hard work, you are on your feet all day and you give a lot of your emotional energy to your role aswell. Don't let the fun get in the way of making sure you get training to work beyond the role you start in.
Cons
Dependent on Managment
Fun, fast paced and enjoyable
Customer sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Oxford Circus24 July 2017
Working for such an ethical company should be as rewarding as it sounds.
I really enjoyed my time at Lush and made some great, lasting connections. it was a fun place to work with getting to work with some great people and spending time creating connections with customers on a personal level both providing a great service and recommending products that I genuinely felt would help the needs of the customer.
Pros
50% discount, great training and sample products, company pension
Cons
tough constant and repatative approaches
Retail
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingston upon Thames19 July 2017
My experience of Lush was unorganised and chaotic. Despite surface claims of caring for the well-being of staff, this was more a case of favouritism and personal friendships than professional concern.

Management are not well organised and this filters onto the shop floor.
Pros
Occasional nice customer and old products
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lush Cosmetics. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2