Ludlow Street Healthcare Employee Reviews

Featured review
Ludlow Street Healthcare selected this as a representative review
Good company to work for
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff19 April 2019
I am a senior support worker and have worked for the company for 3 and a half years. I started as a trainee support worker and I have a brilliant manager who has encouraged and supported me to progress within my job role to a senior support worker. The company provide excellent training when you first start with them and throughout your time working for them. You can also earn a good wage if you put in the overtime. I work by supporting clients who have moved from a hospital setting, into a community setting and this is very rewarding when you see that your and there hard work has paid off and they are living as part of a community. The company offer an excellent care package to clients and if you work hard the company do recognise and appreciate this. The only thing I would say is that it would be beneficial for senior management to listen to the staff more, who work with the service users day to day and let them have more input. I work with an excellent team who all look out for each other.
Pros
Good training, rewarding
Cons
Senior management to allow support staff to have more input
Engaging workplace
HR Manager (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff8 December 2019
Great Company, very people centred, focused on the needs of both clients and staff. It is a very challenging role but also very rewarding. Investment in people is encouraged.
No support
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Bristol7 December 2019
The place I worked was fun, however the company did not appear to care about staff at all. Staff did not feel appreciated or treated appropriately. Also, management was poor!
Staff are amazing that's about it
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff29 November 2019
Great staff team we all support each other
Low pay for the job you have to do you would think they would pay you more.
Long hours and unfair rotas.
You could be working 55 hours plus one week and 12 hours the next before over time
Not if my life depended on it
Mental health support worker (Former Employee) –  Newport26 November 2019
I wouldn’t put my worst enemy here as the staff member Massive turnover of staff absolutely no support from senior management All they seem to care about is profit profit profit what brings in the money and that’s all that matters wrong mix of clients that are left to wonder when they should be one-to-one this is when incidents happen to staff and service users Constantly short staffed are co cunsuyou bullying culture
Cons
Can be challenging at times.but can also be very rewarding.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Pinetree court hospital25 November 2019
I help patients with personal care.go shopping with them.have been out on group activities. Have helped some patients to do cooking. Just try and support them as much as possible. While living in an hospital environment. And give them some better way of life.
One Word... Avoid
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Beechwood College21 September 2019
Where do I start? Working for Ludlow Street Healthcare as a support worker has been one of the worst experience's of my life in terms of how you are treated as an employee, massively underpaid for the job you do, always understaffed and no genuine appreciation from management, you're basically seen as a punch bag who's job it is to get hurt by the clients, most days you will come to work with more agency than regular staff putting you in massive danger as most of the agency are absolutely useless at their jobs pretty much meaning they're there to make up numbers.
Good luck if you actually get paid the correct amount at the end of each month because more often than not you aren't and when you try and rectify this you're often told that you'll have to wait a week or even a month for the rest of the money to go through (not that we have bills to pay) the clinical team walk around with a god complex telling you how to work with a client that they've never worked with or sometimes even met and when you tell them what a client needs you're ignored because you haven't got a degree even though you're the ones working day in day out with the clients.
Most of the time the clients are understaffed even though they a funded to have two staff, more often than not their second member is taken away from them for another client (this is financial abuse) leaving them unable to leave site meaning they're in their flats/rooms for 24 hours, food is awful worse than prison, often sent over cold and in tiny portions, units/homes are run down and not homely at all and most of the time the clients
  more... needs aren't even thought about in terms of which unit they are placed in meaning that you will have a mix of clients on a unit who should not be together.

So if you like being a punch bag, stressed and worn-out and like to work for a company that only cares about money then this is the job for you but if not avoid at all costs
This company is a circus.At least it's run by clowns
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport12 September 2019
What can I say that hasn't already been said?
The company is greedy and profits off the back of its patients and especially its over worked staffing team.They don't care about staff or patient welfare.The only saving graces are the nurses and the management at St Peter's.They do the best they can for the hospital under the conditions.Unsafe place to work.Regularly let nurses work alone or we're short of support workers to a dangerous level considering the patients being violent and needing high levels of care
Pros
Training
Cons
Everything listed above
Stressful and Character Building
Senior (Former Employee) –  Bristol, Bristol30 August 2019
Some of the most lovely clients and colleagues but environment felt unsafe and unnerving nearly at all times. Whilst colleagues were great at supporting each other we always worked short staffed due to high staff turn over and depended on Agency heavily. Some agency staff would work long term which was great at building familiarity but a lot of the time we did not get people returning to help.
Head office seemed to not care about the safety of the clients and staff as many individuals with high varying challenging needs were all placed in one small house meaning restraint was implemented daily due to high anxiety being an issue at all times.
Working here let me know how lucky I am but please check how their staffing is and what level of needs the current clients have if you decide to apply.
12 September 2019

“I am sorry to hear that you felt we did not provide you with the level of support you needed. We do work with clients whose behaviour at times can be challenging which means that this job doesn’t suit everyone and so, like everyone else in this health sector, we have a higher staff turnover than we would wish.

You specifically refer to the frequent use of restraint, however our own records show that there have been very few interventions incidents in our Bristol homes. If our monitoring systems are not picking up all interventions then it is very important that we identify these discrepancies.

May I ask that you contact me in confidence and as matter of urgency with some more detail to confirm your observations so that I can investigate. I can be emailed on chiefexecutive@lshealthcare.co.uk. David Lawrence, Chief Executive.”

18 September 2019

I have not as yet heard from you and am very keen to discuss this with you.

Both former and current staff have a duty to report any specific concerns they have, so if you believe that our systems are not picking up restraint incidents it is vital that you provide us with details so that we can investigate.

Could you contact me in confidence and as a matter of urgency at chiefexecutive@lshealthcare.co.uk. David Lawrence, Chief Executive.

Avoid at all costs
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Beechwood college18 August 2019
Omg
As a former employee at Beechwood College, I’ve never worked in such a unorganised place in my life. I worked on Holly Home. The team leaders are absolutely shocking. You asked them a question and they done care. You speak to the Manager and she doesn’t care. It’s a shambles. I refused to work with a student to safeguard myself, well the was ignored and now I’ve been sacked over a situation which could’ve been avoided if they listened please avoid
22 August 2019

It is always sad when we have to ask a member of staff to leave however, given the various concerns we raised with you, we have to take our responsibilities in relation to our students very seriously and the only appropriate action we could take was to let you go.

However, if you feel we could have managed the concerns we identified in a better way then I would welcome hearing your thoughts and ideas for how we could have approached this differently. You can email me in confidence at chiefexecutive@lshealthcare.co.uk. David Lawrence, Chief Executive

Hard and rewarding
Support Worker/Carer (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff12 July 2019
This is a hard job and not for anyone who is afraid to work for a living. Its not an average care role of sitting around and waiting for something to happen. Its active, engaging and busy. The company and managers care for people that have not been able to live anywhere else and come to beechwood because this is a place where they can be supported and be more independent. Some staff seem to forget this and will make excuses not to do the things that actually make the job really enjoyable most are too busy trying to go for a cigarette break instead even though the company banned smoking on site. I found it hard in the beginning but now I love it. The students are amazing and although they have off days... don't we all! The money is what you would expect from any similar job and the chances of promotion are high for those with the right ethos and work ethic.
Pros
Really active so time goes so quick, career progression and opportunities are really good
Cons
Some shameful staff who should find a job out of care altogether. Long shifts.
Avoid at all costs
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Newport, Newport9 July 2019
The company is profit driven.The care people receive is based on the best that we can do as support workers and not what's best for the client.We do the best we can on the staff level we get told we can have.Always an excuse why we can't have more staff even though we can't manage the clients.Constant staffing issues.We are constantly short and they wonder why staff feel so rubbish and take days off because they're ill.They don't care or offer help.It's frightening that they let a ward work so short and the risks get bigger for staff and clients that they get assaulted or not get the care they should of got.
The clients aren't a good mix either.This leads to incidents happening and then it's us who gets blamed and not whoever decided to take on more clients that aren't suitable to live with each other.
There's a bullying culture and no chance of progression.If your speaking out against something and telling the truth your not a people pleaser and the management think your a trouble maker.Management don't listen and the pay doesn't reflect the amount of work support workers do.Turn up to work to get assaulted for eight quid odd an hour.They are doing a pay review scheme that no one knows anything about and were still hanging around on nearly minimum wage.Excuses constantly about why you can't have more pay.
No thanks off owners.You are only a number to them.They don't know you or what you do there.No respect off them.They visit sometimes and don't even take any notice of you because they are obviously to important to speak to support workers.They don't mind getting the profits
  more... off our hard work and commitment though.
The job we do is difficult and we're questioned and told off instead of taught if theirs an incident.No how are you feeling after such a horrible time.Petty blame environment.No support from anyone but the immediate nurse team we work with.The upper management don't have time for you and for a mental health company they don't look after their employees mental health.The amount of pressure they put people under.
People making decisions when they don't know the clients.If you challenge them it don't make a difference because they know best.They don't care we spend 12 hours with the clients and know them well.Alot better than they know them.Underappreciated and overworked
Pros
Training
Cons
Everything listed above
15 July 2019

It is really disappointing to hear that you felt you had a bad experience working for us.

Many people who work for us have a very positive experience and this is reflected in many of the reviews we receive. Over 10% of our staff have been working for us for more than 10 years which, in a sector where staff turnover is generally very high, is something we are very proud of.

Also, our staff tell us one of the things that they appreciate most about working for us is the wide range of career opportunities we can offer.

This is a difficult industry to work in and many people that come to work for us find the work more challenging that they might have anticipated, this is true of all organisations working in mental health and makes for high staff turnover.

We constantly strive to improve, which is why our staff turnover is lower than most, but we know that there is more we can do.

We take the feedback we get from all staff very seriously and we are in the process of addressing some of the things that you have highlighted.

However, I would welcome the opportunity to understand from you better exactly what we could improve upon and to get your view on the initiatives we have planned.

You can contact me directly on HQchiefexecutive@lshealthcare.co.uk.

David Lawrence, Chief Executive

lovely students, badly organised company.
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cardiff1 July 2019
The job could be amazing, it has such good potential. However there is a high turn over of staff, which often leaves the current staff in trouble / completing impossible work. This means staff get burned out with little support. The concept of the company works however corners are often cut and staff don’t get no thanks for the hard work unless your in a “cliche”. Overall I believe there is little support for staff, and the company’s priority often seems to be what money they can make. Whether it’s from staff illness, or training funds. Pros are there is good training to start with, and working with the students can be very rewarding especially via the education side of things.
Pros
Good Training.
Cons
Poorly organised and shift work.
Highly valued and rewarding
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Saint Peters Hospital, Newport31 May 2019
I am currently employed as a Senior Support Worker, I have worked for the company for the past 4 and half years. When I first joined Ludlow, I had no prior experience within the field. I received a 4-week induction programme with accredited training for 2 weeks followed by 2 weeks of shadowing staff on the units. I built up my confidence and learned a lot from fellow colleagues and over time I have adapted myself and built up my skills and knowledge. I completed my Level 2 QCF in Health and Social care and within 2 years I became a Senior Support Worker. I have since completed my Level 3 QCF and am looking forward to progressing onto Level 5. There is scope for career progression but as a Support worker the highest I can achieve is Senior Support worker role unless I was to complete my Nursing Degree or transfer to one of Ludlow’s community houses where I could become A community Home Manager which is my scope once I’ve completed Level 5 QCF. I have regular training and Monthly supervisions and yearly pay review based on performance. I have the opportunity to request further training and we have Primary Team days, Staff Forums and team meetings which enables us to raise any issues and concerns we have.
We have a rolling Rota and usually have our Rota 2 months in advance, Management allow us to request days off and swap shifts should we require it. As a full-time worker, we work 12-hour shifts, starting at 07:30-19:45/19:30-07:45, We generally work a Monday, Tuesday, Saturday and Sunday one week followed by A Wednesday, Thursday and Friday the following week. This allows a
  more... healthy work/life balance. There is overtime shifts available with an enhanced hourly rate for overtime shifts with monthly overtime bonuses.
Management allow flexible working contracts and part-time contracts which offers flexibility.
Within St Peters hospital we have the Support of Nurses and a Multi-Disciplinary Team which enables staff to raise any concerns and get any issues addressed quickly by the right department.
The Job isn’t for everybody it can be a challenging environment to work in, we have a mixture of clients with a range of mental health issues but we each client has individualised care plans appropriate to that person and Positive Behavioural Support plans and regular reviews. Mental Health can be very complex and challenging but that is why the clients we have are placed with us and not a nursing home due to the challenging behaviours and complex needs. Half of the clients we have are independent and half of the clients require full support with personal care needs and all aspects of daily living. You have to have a positive outlook and a passion to care whilst being able to show empathy and compassion. If you treated the clients how you would like to be treated if you were in their shoes you won’t go far wrong.
As a support worker you are expected to promote independence where possible, encourage clients to participate in activities, ensure their personal care and hygiene needs are met, encourage a healthy balance diet. Follow Person Centred care and follow individualised care plans.
I enjoy working as part of the team we have a very experienced staff base who are very supportive to new members of staff and are keen to share their skills and knowledge. I am very happy about the quality of care that is delivered to the clients and how the staffing team work very hard to promote physical health and wellbeing amongst our clients. I would and have recommended Ludlow as a place to work, although the job is challenging it is also very rewarding just knowing you’ve made a difference.
Pros
Excellent training, 4-week Induction Programme, Overtime Bonuses, Flexible Working, Rolling Rota, Staff Meetings, Experienced Team, High Quality of Care.
Cons
The job can be challenging but that is as expected when working with Mental Health
friendly place
LSA (Current Employee) –  Sully ED20 May 2019
Beechwood College provides a secure environment for the students and the staff are great. The students are wonderful to work with and the training is fun.
Great job satisfaction
Lecturer (Current Employee) –  Sully, Vale of Glamorgan20 May 2019
I have worked for the company for nearly 9 years. I have had the support to progress within my role and complete my PGCE, securing a permanent teaching post. I have felt supported throughout my time with the company and thoroughly enjoy my role. There are every day challenges but we work as part of a team that I am proud to part of.
Pros
Training and progression
Great place to work!
Administrator (Current Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff20 May 2019
Ludlow is a great place to work, with competitive salaries, good hours and an excellent work/life balance. The workplace has an excellent fun-yet-professional culture, with an understanding and supportive management team who are always willing to listen.
Pros
Great Team
Terrible company
Senior Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff19 May 2019
Never have I ever felt so unsafe and let down working for a company. As somebody who has worked in multiple support companies I could pick out flaws from the moment I joined. The staff team were amazing! Only to be let down constantly by management. Literally got assaulted leaving me in bad shape only to have management give no support whatsoever. I’m still owed money by the company but il never see that again that’s for sure. Oh and you never get your break you are entitled to either, it’s disgusting! You could have a 12h shift were your dealing with a massive amount of challenging behaviour and get no break and if you pop out for a cigarette or to recollect yourself you get in trouble, it is a joke. Psychology don’t have a clue what they’re doing either must of got they’re degrees in a back alley or something. Disgusting awful terrible company, if you want to be violently assaulted and then have management give no support whatsoever then by all means work for them, but you will walk away from the company in a state. Should be shut down and I don’t say that lightly.
Pros
Literally nothing
Cons
Management Don’t care about any of the staff or service users, only about the money in they’re wallet
21 May 2019

However, we are always keen to learn how staff feel we can improve further and I would encourage you to email me directly and in confidence so that I can investigate your concerns. You can email me via chiefexecutive@lshealthcare.co.uk.

David Lawrence, Chief Executive

severely lacking
Support worker (Current Employee) –  Barry, Vale of Glamorgan9 May 2019
Constant low moral between all members of staff. Students being exploited for financial gain after being funded for 2+ members of staff yet given 1 often times, often agency staff that don't know the student at all. bad management putting staff into situations that are dangerous to their health. Lack of care for staff mental health.
Overall a fantastic rewarding job to be proud of
Residential and Educational Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Sully, Vale of Glamorgan2 May 2019
I'm have been a support worker for LSHG for a year, I will not deny that there are good and bad shifts, but the fact is I have seen some of our clients show such progression within the company, and the immense feeling of pride in yourself and your workplace after one of those fantastic shifts (such as today) far outweighs the gutting feelings I get after worse shifts. The challenging behaviours I deal with from our clients are such a small minority of the job role, most of my time is spent simply providing some of the most vulnerable people in our society develop new skills, be happier and more confident with their day to day lives, and in many cases simply enable them to continue to be members of our society. When you manage to talk down someone in such extreme crisis they barely know you are there and go on to have a fantastic day, enabling them to complete all their favourite activities and do so with smiles on your faces leaves you so happy in your job. Doing this for a living you realise how the small victories you have day to day, really build your clients up to be the best they can be and there are so many memories I will never forget since being in this job. I am proud to be in the job I am, in the workplace I am, with my colleagues, making every day the best possible.
Pros
Job satisfaction
Cons
Basic rate of pay
Highly recommend working for this company
Senior support worker (Current Employee) –  Cardiff2 May 2019
I have worked in the healthcare sector for over 20 years and can honestly say this company is by far the best. I must say some of the reviews I have read have shocked me. The training provided goes above and beyond, they invest a lot in their staff, there may be other companies that pay a little more however in my experience they do this by under staffing their units leaving staff in very vulnerable position. I have never had an issue with the work/life balance, a request book is always available to request
a particular day off. I started as a support worker and have been supported to progress to a senior role at a Community House, any staff who wishes to progress are supported by management. The management, directors, CEO and the company owner are always approachable and welcome any new ideas or Feedback. I find this company respecful and not willing to tolerate any messing about but surely that's what we all want and expect. The cients I work with have progressed immensely and receive the care and support that they deserve, there are times where it can be difficult as expected when working in mental health however I love this job which I find extremely rewarding. I have worked and continue to work with a great staff team and have met some wonderful clients over the near 7years I have worked for Ludlow Street healthcare.
Pros
Training, support, progression
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Ludlow Street Healthcare. Our community is ready to answer.

Ludlow Street Healthcare Reviews by Location