Lowri Beck Employee Reviews

The worst company I've ever worked for
Smart Meter Engineer (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London28 September 2018
DO NOT APPLY TO WORK FOR THIS COMPANY....Unless you're ok working for the devil.

Poor scheduling - Jobs booked all round London.
Unrealistic daily target 4/5 duals per day in London spanning 10 miles apart ...No one makes bonus in London because most of the jobs you have to abort.

Tracker on van - monitoring how long you've taken for break, when you leave home and when you get home.

Poor field management...Bunch of numpties...They don't have the skill set, behavior, leadership skills, coaching skill or knowledge to be a manager....It's not what you know....It's who you know!!

On Call - On call for 7 days every 4 weeks. Therefore, you will end up working 12 days straight with no time in lieu.

Benefits - No benefits apart from holiday and pension.

If you leave or get sacked from the company within 2 years of joining they will withhold your last months pay unless you pay them back training money.

They are continuously recruiting for Smart Meter Installers because they keep on sacking good installers who end up working for their competitors.
Not what it seems
Smart meter engineer (Former Employee) –  Midlands20 March 2018
Basically a company with huge ambition but not capable of doing what they say, performance levels are so bad they had to bring in a renowned ceo to try and sort the issues out.

Poor day to day planning poor scheduling poor management, not interested in what the engineer on the ground says think they know better. Jobs over an hour apart and your expected to do 5 dual jobs plus a day.

Training given, tools ppe hand held device van fuel card all provided, but expect you to use your own mobile, (altho mobiles are being issued shortly).

Beware when you leave you have to wait 8 weeks for your final pay !!.
Pros
Secure job, all equipment issued
Cons
Being on standby, poor scheduling.
Great Company - Good balance
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London20 March 2018
Good lifestyle balance, and the managers actually care and give me plenty of support when I need it. I had a few issues that were dealt with swiftly and promptly.
Pros
Work life balance, good opportunities.
Cons
n/a
jobs ok, too many managers that are not helpful. No support
Dual Fuel SMART meter engineer. meter reader (Former Employee) –  Plymouth, Devon1 March 2018
Although great in some areas, good tools, van etc, the support is not there when needed. The work is ok, and the job can be satisfying, but there's too many managers and none of them no what the job actually entails.
Pros
van, tools provided.
Cons
on call hours, pressure.
not good
Dual Fuel Engineer (Former Employee) –  Broadwindsor17 February 2018
Management will throw you under the bus as soon as look at you, no advise given, SMT's sit on the fence, through fear of getting it wrong and the managers sacking them. scottish power contract was awful, never get a signal, lots of aborts.
Pros
stock delivered to you
Cons
bad management, don't care about personal at all.
management awful and no chance to progress.
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester18 November 2017
during my time at this company, i found that probably 85% of people i spoke to were actively looking for a new job. I don't think i ever came across anybody that enjoyed it!! staff are treated as disposable and the hours are shocking. every week there was always new staff joining and being trained because someone left. if you love being a robot that does what is told and has no say in anything then work here. the salary is also bad and there are no benefits whatsoever. don't expect a discounted gym membership or healthcare. you get nothing except your minimum wage.
Pros
Cons
bad pay, management shocking
Steer Clear
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester16 November 2017
Absolutely would not recommend anyone work here, there are some nice team leaders but the rest are horrible and would not help at all they are powermad... the hours are unsociable and you are pressured into doing overtime daily emails are sent if you don’t put yourself forward your name will be put into a hat.. They also don’t really give you advice on how to deal with rude customers
Pros
Make some friends
Cons
Long unsociable hours rude team leaders
A Pressured but Rewarding Environment
Manager (Current Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester2 November 2017
A great culture of fantastic people working together to achieve results. It can be a pressured environment, but I've learned more working here than any other role I've done. The business senior leaders are considerate to the people that work for them and promote a work/ life balance. Lowri Beck does some great work supporting local and national charities.
Pros
Great people and teamwork
Cons
Can be a very pressured environment
Would NOT recommend. Steer clear!
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester24 October 2017
I have never known a company to be as dishonest & unorganised as Lowri Beck. Not only do they give their customers false promises and lies on a daily basis, but they also treat their staff like cattle to the slaughter. The staff are expected to undertake tasks with minimal training under high volumes of stress, abuse from customers due to the company’s incompetence, and there are very little to no incentives to want to genuinely work harder. Unless you are management, a team leader, or have relations with the latter, then your experience here will be soul-crushing, unrewarding and will truly make you wonder how such a company is still on its two clubbed feet today.
Pros
Some staff are genuine & friendly
Cons
Incredibly stressful & unfair
Horrible place
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester20 September 2017
Some good people work here, team leaders really try but management is so poor that any ideas are quickly disregarded so the management can continue with their ego trips.
Has a yes man culture where nothing seems to be reported back to senior management level on how bad things are, the company are losing staff at a staggering rate but doesn't see any issues, terrible place to work.
Pay is terrible for what is expected from what I hear this is company wide as the company pay national living wage and when this goes up only gives 11p pay rises to people in other departments dependent on service
Pros
In town centre
Cons
Management are useless

Want to know more about Lowri Beck?

Ask a question
na
Manager (Current Employee) –  Northwest1 September 2017
high output, stressful environment. Quick changing work load, with ever increasing demands. Changing focus, meeting clients needs across multi-contracts
Management/ Training is subpar
Meter Fitter (Former Employee) –  South West1 September 2017
The best part of Lowrie Beck was the pay. They were never late and any underpayment was quickly rectified. It's amazing that the pay was fine because the technology and processes they have in place were seriously dated and very redundant.
The training I received, I am thankful for, but was horribly disorganised from day 1. Then when I finally got out of training, I did not know who my manager was, nor did anyone walk me through day to day small tasks, eg filling out time sheet, who to contact for what,etc.
They never told me my on call schedule, or other colleagues in my area, and expected me to know it by psychic powers I guess.
They also have a very bad approach toward employees when they bring up a major flaw in the company.
Some people have worked for Lowri Beck years and never had any issues,so you may work there and think it's fine. I'm just the type of person that expects as much back from my employer as they expect from me.
Pros
pay
Cons
organisation, management, communication
Wouldn't Recommend
Dual Fuel Meter Engineer (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London16 August 2017
Started out ok but after working here for a while it soon became apparent that the job was not as advertised.

The scheduling is a nightmare and can go back on yourself repeatedly to get to jobs. They also expect you to work until whatever time it takes to get all the work done, which in some cases can be 12 hour+ days. If you try take up with management then won't get very far.

The pay is ok but in truth it appears that income takes priority over people's wellbeing or looking after their staff.
Pros
Bonus Structure
Cons
Long Hours, lack of support
Stable office job
Operations Analyst (Current Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester8 August 2017
As I knew nothing of the energy industry when I first joined the company, the training and support I have received over the past year and a half has taught me almost everything I have needed to excel within the role.
The people here are great and are extremely friendly.
great place to work
Trainer (Current Employee) –  Wigan13 July 2017
this is a great place to work as everyone works well together they are always trying to introduce new things to make the company a better place .... happy fun place to work :)
Started good but became a nightmare
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester24 June 2017
Loved the place when I first started quite, quite laid back and everyone was really friendly, but then it was clear to see it was all a front. The worst management and leadership I've ever experienced, the good team leaders opinions didn't really seem to matter because useless people have the most power and they when things get a little bit too much and the good colleagues need a bit of support due to stress, they'll just sack you rather than help. Absolutely disgusting company that don't care about good customer service. Really do hope they go under and the "big" people there end up at the bottom of a proper job where they would have no chance
Pros
Made good friends
Cons
Too many to list
Very poor back up
Smart Dual fuel installer (Current Employee) –  varied, essex to Luton and all inbetween22 June 2017
The management promise a lot of back up but deliver very little actual help.
The scheduling is very poor as they based in Wigan and seem to rely on google maps to allocate the work with no idea of the time it really takes to travel across London, so you are hard pushed to earn the promised bonuses that would boost the pay.
As a result many engineers seem to spend more time trying to abort work rather than doing the job so the customers get a poor service and then good engineers get a lot of pressure to cover the extra work.
Long drives
Meter Reader (Current Employee) –  St Albans, Hertfordshire17 May 2017
Working here was not too hard, but it was fairly tiring with the long drives - driving from one house to another. Pay was okay, however not enough for the price of petrol.
Good Place to Work
Junior Business Analyst (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester8 May 2017
Great place to work. Good employees. Pay could be alot better. Got some great experiance which has helped me to progress as a Business Analyst for Utiligroup
Don't even bother
Smart Deprogrammer (Former Employee) –  Wigan, Greater Manchester15 March 2017
The management doesn't have a clue, the staff are treated like children and as for progression - there's a possibility but of progressing but only if you're willing to befriend the pretentious managers.

In all, it's a job, not a career. To be used as a stepping stone and nothing more
Pros
In the town centre
Cons
Too many to list