lovisa

lovisa Employee Reviews

United Kingdom34 reviews
manager is not really patient, expects you to learn things quickly even if you are new, management does not take store security serious enough, fun workplace only because of some of the collegues. rota is also constantly changing
Pros
not far from station
Cons
ALWAYS finishing shifts after shifts actually ends
Please if you actually want to enjoy your job please stay away from Lovisa. They’d rather employ 9 other staff on 4 hours each than employ full time staff. Management come and go so shop is all over place all time. You have to pester customers as soon as they come in which is really awkward. They don’t have no loyalties to their staff at all. Rather hire young people so they can talk down to you. Just want to mess you around all the time just stay clear l
Pros
50% discount that’s all
Cons
Management all over, treated unfairly, micro managed, literally don’t have a clue how to run a business.
I worked at Lovisa for 9 months.
I never felt like what I did was good enough. You get lots of pressure and very little time to achieve any tasks, without mentioning that sometimes you will work on your own due to the lack of staff. This meaning doing sales, being at the till and merchandising stock.
Pros
Cons
Bad paid, extreme work overload, no opportunities, no communication
Lovely company to work for , however wished there was more organisation and more training. Other than that it is really chilled compared to most retail companies. For me my team was great!!!
Pros
Lovely staff
Cons
Salary
I loved working at Lovisa. You can progress fairly quickly and have a good successful carrier with them. However, after leaving I realised I wasn't payed enough for the effort and work I was putting into it.
I was taken on as a assistant manager and they completely miss sold the job role. I worked the most awful shifts to make the managers life easier, they insisted you prove every job you complete there is no rust or teamwork in this company. Do not work for them
Pros
Team within the store was lovely
Cons
Whole company is a joke
The most awful place to work and would never recommend this to anyone. Only good thing was the other girls who I worked with as we were all in the same position and were all treated badly. The regional manager is the most horrid nasty woman you will ever meet, she is rude, swears at you, never responds to emails, does not allow you to go home ill even after I fainted on the shop floor in front of her, she only cares about the money you make to make her look good. You are forced to open and close the store alone without any training, forced to take on management duties because they can’t be bothered to employ new assistants managers, you never get paid correctly and don’t get paid for overtime. If you do not talk to every customer you are told off, even if that person has said they are okay alone browsing you are still told off for not ‘styling’ them an outfit. You are also told off if you don’t send enough email receipts and sell enough sale and add on earrings, you are forced to stay late such as Christmas eve and when telling the manager you have now missed your booked train home which is the last train she proceeds to tell you ‘tough that’s the way it is’ I’m a uni student and it may seem like a nice part time job but please do not put yourself through it. It affects your mental health so much by working in such a horrible environment.
Lovisa was my first retail job. It was great for the first couple of months because it taught me a lot about retail and how to address each customer, especially when trying to sell one of the products. The team I worked with at the time was brilliant and definitely respected me, despite my young age. However the longer I worked there the worse the job got. It got to the point where I was expected to cover the majority of shifts, even though I was in secondary school at the time. I often had to open and close while also acting as part of the management team (organising lunch breaks, closing/opening tills, sorting out figures and deliveries) while still being expected to complete my own duties as a Sales Assistant. This made my job extremely stressful, even though it wasn't meant to be. Although this is a good starting job for teenagers I would not recommend working here for someone with previous retail experience.
Effected me mentally and physically. Wouldn't recommend to anybody at all. Too pressurising and do not do rotas according to availability. Such a terrible job. Management was poor, staff turnover was high. You dont get paid enough for everything you do. You have to clean, do management jobs, take out the bins, bank, cash up but none of this is in your contract. Managers are rude, especially our regional manager. She would never to rotas correctly, always pressuring you to finish everything even if you are doing a full 10 hour shift by yourself. No air con in summer, no heating in winter so would get ill quite a lot, and they wouldnt let you call in sick would tell you to come in anyway. 10/10 would never recommend unless you want to be stressed and mentally/physically unwell.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at lovisa?
You were left to figure everything on your own. I wish I was given better direction and guidance as this was my first job. They should train their regional managers to plan proper training.
My experience in lovisa has been amazing so far! the job has so many opportunities for all of its team members and the environment is very competitive to work in but everyone does have each other’s backs, we all work together to make sure our customers are given the best possible service at all times.
Going to make this so easy to read so you can clearly see why to never work for this company:
- Expected hours over Christmas we’re until 11pm Christmas Eve and 7am - 10pm Boxing Day. These were non negotiable and if you didn’t like it you were told to leave. Christmas rotas still haven’t been sent out either with just over 2 weeks to go so people can’t make plans. The company just use you and make you feel undervalued.

- Pay was almost always wrong. Was massively underpaid (by over £500) for a holiday I booked off with work months in advance because I didn’t have enough holiday left and when I tried contacting payroll (twice) I have still heard nothing

- On the topic of holidays, you have to actually accrue them here, your not just given your set hours or days you can take and then have to pay them back if you leave the company and have taken too many. You have to actually have the hours before you take them and then the hours are only taken off your holiday allowance once you’ve gone not once you’ve booked it off. I’ve never seen anything so stupid. If you want to go on holiday in April at any time then it would just have to be unpaid.

- Left on your own a lot to work, sometimes full days on your own, and no matter how hard you try to serve and get all the jobs and updates done it’s impossible because there’s always so much, too much to do and serve and pierce etc. And you get made to feel awful and that your not doing enough even though they don’t provide the hours for you to actually get it done

- As a store manager I was hardly a manager. I had little authority
 - more...
After a man ended his life infront of me in the shopping centre where lovisa was housed they swore they’d help me and be there for me and do everything they could to find me therapy etc still to this day I’ve heated nothing of the sort they basically made me quit saying I was too traumatised to continue employment and they had others willing to take my place get out the way kind of thing they also made me open and close alone on a teamembers salary and deal with financial information and cashing up the sad only mere weeks after beginning employment and when you feel out of your depth they shun you and make you feel like you’re an idiot I would not recomend and I’d say to avoid at all costs
Lovely people and good staff discount. HOWEVER, this company is appalling. The people at the top are too rich to actually care about their employees, this creates a toxic work culture because staff are continuously overworked and underpaid. Employees have to complete a ridiculous amount of unpaid online training. Sales targets are consistently emphasised with no incentive (no bonuses), creating an unpleasant level of competitivenes. Overall a horrible company to work for, I DO NOT RECOMMEND applying to Lovisa. Have some self respect and find a job somewhere else.
It took about a month to get a start date I was left on my own on the third day. Training was minimum I couldn’t use the toilet Because they do not have on have to use the shopping centre one. had to close the store disgusting would tell you not to bother had 0 breaks in 7 hours
Eastbourne store regional manger needs sorting out. She is starting to impact employees mental health. She can't keep her word and will not take responsibility or blame for anything. She makes staff feel horrible and puts them down, her overall attitude is unprofessional, toxic and just plain rude. LOVISA - please sort your staff out no wonder why people leave so soon.
The only good thing about this job was the part timer girls working. The Eastbourne store opened and the manager left within days leaving all of us with no one and the regional manager expecting us to do it all. Assistant manager was a horror bullying staff making work uncomfortable. The business doesn’t care about you at all and you definitely don’t have a voice. The regional manager doesn’t care about you and always gets the rotas wrong and expects you to fix the mistake. The whole job being supposedly being part time was stressful, you do a managers role and duties even though you aren’t paid for it. Just stay away it’s not worth it the business hasn’t got it priorities straight and has the most careless and unprofessional regional ‘manager’. I literally got electrocuted at the job and they didn’t even batter an eye lid, so not only is the business rubbish they don’t care about health and safety either. STAY AWAY TRUST ME.
Pros
The girls working there
Cons
Everything the whole business
can get busy from time to time, but it is very fun place to work in, you learn to build a positive atmosphere and relations with staff and customers, its great for students to gain experience in
The hours are long, breaks are only given if you work 8 hours (45 minute break) a 15 minute if you work 7. The pay is not worth the work you put in. You are required to run the shop, open and close and do banking even if you’re not a member of management. You are made to work if you are sick or don’t call in sick at exactly 7 AM. The regional and country manager are disgustingly rude and self centred. They do not care about you at all, they don’t care about family deaths, your birthdays, uni/school/college etc.. getting time off is impossible. Don’t bother applying! Even if it’s a part time job, it seriously is not worth damaging your mental health. Especially since the company don’t care about it or you.
If you have self respect for yourself, mind and body, if you are strong minded and also have responsibilities outside of work eg: kids,mortgage this is not the place for you.

First of all if you are management here you only have the name as managers and assistant managers - they can not approve anything, they don’t do rotas, or anything a normal retail manager can do. your regional manager will ring your store 3 times a day everyday (this is your manager) you are all working for the regional. 4 hour Part timers will have a key to the store and cash up just the same as a manger. They promote part time/full time girls to become managers or outsiders who have never had manager experience so that you think the way they are treating you is normal - do not think this is how a manger should feel because it’s not.

The regional managers who are young Australian girls (company is Australian) will visit the store here and there to practice there new manipulative lingo to feed there ego. You are all spoken and treated like children wether your 60 or 16. The treatment seems to be the same in every Lovisa store so this is there culture and there way of running the stores - not good.

Embarrassing and disgusting company to work for, this company should be investigated.
I only got through training and management bullied me out of this place. I was given 10 shifts including a 12 hour shift in a row which is illegal. You dont get a break untill after 2pm even if you started at 9, the regional manager will treat you like dirt on the floor unless you suck up to her. They expect all staff to so cashing up etc which is managerial duties but only pay you the bare minimum. I wish i never joint them.