Lounges Employee Reviews

Never work for this company
Bar Staff/Barista (Former Employee) –  Staines-upon-Thames7 October 2019
Old employees tried to warn me but I didnt listen. This company will drain you and force you to work 16 hours a day all the time, and treat you with no respect.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Drains you dry
Generally good
Head Chef (Current Employee) –  Durham9 September 2019
Can be fun to work here, definitely different to most places I've worked.
Good Incentives
Breaks are generally a no go in the kitchens
14hr days are not uncommon
Management can be lethal when cutting hours, it's generally the first conversation of the day.
Food produce Is fresh & of a good standard
kitchens are well equipped
Worst company in the industry
Chef de Partie (Current Employee) –  East Anglia4 September 2019
In 25 years of working in hospitality I have never worked for such a poor incompetent badly run company.
Illegal working hours, terrible management illegal rates of pay but they cover it up by offering you a free burger for lunch .
No work life balance, no idea of what each level of senior management is doing , no idea of health and safety and good 2orking practice , just work till you drop !
9 September 2019

This is the culture of Loungers as a whole so it's sad to read this was your experience but we would like to talk to you further to understand where we made mistakes and may have let you down. Please contact us on thevoice@loungers.co

Raving
Junior Sous Chef at Otto (Former Employee) –  Heswall30 August 2019
Had a fun time working at loungers. Enjoyable part of the job is cooking all day. Disadvantages is doing dishes and doing breakfasts every minute of every day.
Pros
free food
3 September 2019

Who says work doesn't have to be fun too, eh? Glad you had as much fun as we do. #lovelounging #funjob

Amazing
Head Chef/ Trainee Operations Chef (Former Employee) –  Southend, Essex28 August 2019
Great company to work for and great pay. Full of opportunities and progression. Christmas off boxing day off what more could you want.
Even a friendly head office
Really Terrible Company ! :(
5 : Management REALLY TERRIBLE ! :(
6 : Then phoned up last minute wanting you,to go in ! :(
7 : MONEY STOLEN AT WORK ! :(
3 September 2019

This is not a good read and not what we are about. We would like to discuss your experience further with you to be able to investigate and put right- please contact us directly thevoice@loungers.co

Worst company ever
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Stocksbridge6 August 2019
I don't know where to start, the single worst company I have worked for in 39 years, 48 hour contract lol more like 60 no breaks, laughable managers who get their experience by completing online courses, no chefs just kitchen hands with zero knowledge, area chefs who don't know what they are doing.
I could go on and on but I won't, just do yourself a favour and don't even apply contempt
Best Company I’ve Worked For
Sous Chef (Current Employee) –  Grantham, Lincolnshire5 August 2019
I’ve been here over a year now and it’s truly the best Chef job I’ve had. The management, from site to the very top is brilliant, they care about every aspect of the job including every employee! The progression within the company is fantastic and the opportunities provided are great! It’s definitely like working with your family, when they say “Loungey” they really mean it!
Pros
Staff discount, training and Lounge Fest
Dont pay
Chef de Partie (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend2 August 2019
I was on training day and they sad that will pay for this shift I gave my bank details and they didnt pay. I really disappointed about it. Salary is minimum
9 August 2019

Thanks for your comments This is neither our custom or practice so please get in touch directly, thevoice@loungers.co and we will get this recified for you. Best regards.

High stress low reward
Front Of House Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Berkshire26 July 2019
If all you've ever wanted was stress and exhaustion with the promise of your promotion coming in soon the lounges is a great place for you. Management love to lounge around while the rest of their staff are doing enough work for triple the amount of people on shift. Expect to see 4 people leaning around behind the bar while 1 or 2 people run around attending to customers, running food, clearing plates and ultimately working behind the bar when those 4 people mysteriously disappear right as customers turn up.

Kitchen staff and front of house rarely work cohesively with screaming matches going on over the pass. Normally due to food being cold from being microwaved or sitting on the pass as an incomplete order.

Staff are under appreciated across the board with hours being changed randomly without notice, breaks rarely being taken and even rarer to be provided with the free staff food on those breaks. You'll often be working until 1am one night and then in at 8am the next morning due to your GM or AM not being able to organise their staffing because they're making their rota hours before the first shift of that week. You'll never be able to plan your life around the job as your expected to constantly be available. The company claim that each lounge has a family atmosphere but most of the staff barely even tolerate each other and dispise the thought of having to come to work. Especially when you aren't even guaranteed stable hours.

"Loungefest" is just all the of the staff bused to a field in the middle of nowhere with cheap music and even cheaper fair ground rides.
Pros
Free staff food occasionally
Cons
No work life balance. No notice for shifts. No gaurenteed hours. Slow progression.
The bigger the company gets, the less they care for you
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  Southbourne, Dorset17 July 2019
When i started my job i adored it, looked forward to going in and meeting so many amazing people who are now some of my closest friends.
Our previous much adored manager got fired by trying to protect the workplace from a bully in the workplace and is now barred.
New management is elitist and are also bullies, show no compassion, no thank yous or appreciation. nothing is private or confidential. they back chat about co-workers to other workers forgetting we're all friends?
DO NOT WORK HERE!!!

good people hired are wasting their efforts and time here, the lounge facade is honestly just embarrassing.
Pros
so close to being perfect, ruined by bad hiring of upper management
Cons
literally everything
Money money money
Trainee Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire1 July 2019
If a member of management expect to lose all home life.
48hour contracts but expect to spend more of you’re life there and when you go home your phone will still be going off from all the different whatsapp groups you’re added too.
Training is next to none, just dropped in it and left to struggle through.
Upper management seemed supportive coming in to help where they can and not afraid to get their hands dirty however restaurant manager was just completely out of their depth.
Pros
Free lunches
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Loughborough30 June 2019
Lovely atmosphere amongst colleagues
Waitress/Bar staff (Current Employee) –  Barnstaple27 June 2019
Really enjoyable place to work, everyone feels like family. However being one of the younger staff I'm not prioritised with hours I need due to not being solely independent living wise. This is frustrating as do really enjoy working there but need the money. The most enjoyable part of the job is being able to socialise with customers. The hardest part is on a hot day, constantly walking up the stairs to the kitchen.
Pros
Good laughs
Cons
Always busy
Used to be a lot better
FOH (Current Employee) –  North West17 June 2019
Was fantastic when I started. Fast forward a few years and they patently do not care about staff well being at all. Questioned about why you have spoken to such a person or done such a thing, called when you're away on holiday.
GM's are fine, just yes men to OPS, who are absolutely dreadful and make you feel like you are dirt under their feet.
Best part of the job is dealing with the customers, worst part is upper management from ops manager to regional ops and above.
Pros
Good team
Cons
Everything else
27 June 2019

Thanks for sharing your view- We pride ourselves in how great our teams are and that includes our Ops so disappointing to read that you have felt this way. We would love to hear more from you so we can work with you to ressolve anything that may have happened to make you feel so under valued, please contact us thevoice@loungers.co to follow up. Thanks

Fantastic company who lets you be you
General Manager (Former Employee) –  Peterborough13 June 2019
I worked for loungers as a general manager for just under two years and had great support throughout that time.
They allow you to create a lounge around your community and work colleagues through not judging individuals quirks and allows every team member to be them selves.
Every lounge is different and is created by the team and the surrounding and the ethos of loungers is why it makes it’s the best on the circuit and you do not realise how good it was until you leave and how much confidence working for loungers it gives you. All I can say is it’s fun no matter what age you are as that becomes just a number.
I still promote the lounges and tell the story to everyone and my experiences event over two years later. Fantastic community cafe bars
Pros
The Team, training, knowledge and support and fun everyday
Cons
I don’t feel there is any as you make it the job you like through being yourself and not a robot.
27 June 2019

Thank you for your comments- you summed up Lounges better than we could have! Our people and the commitment to their local communities is what really sets us a part and is something that we are super proud of. Happy to hear that you are still behind our cause and if ever you fancy being part of that again please look out for vacancaies in your area- we'd love to hear from you.

Fun at lounges does not last, do not be fooled.
HC/ Kitchen manager (Former Employee) –  Lincoln13 June 2019
very bad company to work for. No work life balance, bonuses are just a carrot dangled infront of you. Chefs stay well clear of this company!! when going to open a new lounge you hire lots of chefs to get started, only to be told once the busy period has settled down your to start reducing your team's hours.
Popularity Contest
FOH Team Member (Former Employee) –  South West29 May 2019
I worked here for 6 months and it was incredibly hard work which I don’t have a problem with.
The Non-management people were Great (apart from a few) but management are ridiculous and hypocritical. They’ll tell you off for doing something that they do themselves then keep doing it. Lead by example? Pfttt no. If you are not liked by any of the management team then you will be shuddered out and will not be promoted but still make sure they get all the work they can out of you.
The ops manager even said to me that to get a supervisor position I have to “gel” with the General Manager.

They show 0 appreciation for ANYTHING you do and will not get a thank you, you will be put on group chats blasted for not doing a simple task and feel bullied. Managers mainly sit on their phones on snapchat looking at “makeup destruction”.

Hours are shocking. Expect to have 16 one week then 40 the next.

I have never felt so HATED by a business in all my life. My mental health problems deteriorated so drastically due to the unkind and unsupportive management team.

It’s saddening to see such a good loving company turn into a corporate and vile company.
Pros
Some great staff
Cons
Management, pay, morals
5 June 2019

We are also saddened that you have left feeling under appreicated and that we didn't manage your expectations or needs. We would like to understand more about your experience so please ask that you contact us at thevoice@loungers.co

Don't believe what you read!
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wales26 May 2019
I worked for this company for a total of 3 months. I was drawn in and fooled by the company handbook, believing I had finally found a company who valued their staff. Instead I got a rota that could change up to 5 times a week and expected to be available all day every day - even called in while on annual leave. 9/10 hour days and often no chance to even go to the toilet. Managers who liked to lean on the pass and watch the food cook while you did their share of the work as well as your own. Absolutely no team work and everyone was miserable as sin and looking for other jobs. Promised it would get better but it just kept on getting worse.
Pros
Free food on duty on the rare occasion you had the time
Cons
Absolutely everything else
5 June 2019

This is a disappointing read as this isnt what our Loungers values represent. We would be keen to discuss your experience further so we can investigate and learn where we have gone wrong, please contact us at thevoice@loungers.co

lies lies lies
sous chef (Former Employee) –  Dorchester, Dorset20 May 2019
A 48 hour week. (Yes, we know everyone says this, but we actually take it really seriously!) this is lies, if you will join them, you will find out that sous chef and head chefs leave all the time as they are forced to do more then 48 hours, closer to 60-70
Pros
free lunch
Cons
long hours, lies, not very nice cheap food, ping ping chef
5 June 2019

At Loungers we really do take our commitment to our employees very seriously so we are disappointed that this wasn't your reality. We would like to get further info on this so we can investigate further to help us understand what went wrong- please contact us via thevoice@loungers.co

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lounges. Our community is ready to answer.

2.7