Loughborough University Management reviews

Uninspiring management
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire5 March 2019
Loughborough University is in itself one of the most dynamic and inspiring places in the East Midlands. Global leader of sports studies and rising up the University charts it ticks all the boxes from a student perspective. Working here on the other hand is not quite as inspiring. In order to progress you very much have to be in the right 'clique', and motivation for staff is minimal, often expected to add more and more to the working day with no return or reward (or even thanks). Don't let this review put you off, it has it's moments of being a great place to work, it's just a shame that sometimes the level of intelligence from the middle-management team leaves a lot to be desired.... Pays well for what is expected of you.
Pros
Great people, inspiring atmosphere
Cons
Poor leadership
Productive workplace, with added benefit of possibility of advancement in position
Venue Staff (Former Employee) –  Loughborough30 June 2018
New skills are taught every day and each employee is given the ability to learn managerial tasks, in order to eventually possess the ability to advance in their position. The management team are helpful and promote healthy working environments through daily advice and constant reminders on work ethic.
Meet customers from all walks of life
Senior Customer Service Advisor & administrator (Current Employee) –  Loughborough23 May 2018
- Deal with high profile personells on a regular basis
- During big events, I witness the effort put into security and logistics
- Supportive management who genuinely care about my well-being
- The customers I deal with tend to be forthcoming and professional
- The shift patterns can be challenging
- Management and colleague make the job enjoyable
Punching well above its weight as an institution
Business Development Manager (Former Employee) –  Loughborough6 April 2018
Generally a good working environment and people are generally friendly and well meaning. However management and senior management quality leaves a great deal to be desired; lack of strategic goals and vision, poor competencies, poorly scrutinised.
Academic community generally excellent though.
Student ambsassador
student ambassador (Former Employee) –  loughborough9 March 2018
I learnt about management and engaging with students and parents as a proud ambassador and representative of the University which was very rewarding to myself.
Pros
Meeting new people
Cons
Late finishing times
Expect the world with not even a thanks in return
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire2 March 2018
I worked a Burleigh Court for a good few months last year to earn money while studying. If you want management that treat you like you're worthless,will work you to the bone, with nothing but negative feedback in return then this is the job for you!

The staff working the floor in this establishment work extremely hard with absolutely no recognition or appreciation. All management care about is money money money. Team spirit in this place was (and still is by the sounds of it) at rock bottom.

All I can say is thank God I found another job in the area and was able to leave this place!
Pros
Can't even think of one
Cons
too many to mention
Worse job I’ve ever had, avoid !!
Food and Beverage Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire3 February 2018
Got the job as Food & Beverage Supervisor, was told the duties of the job role & it sounded perfect BUT the actual job was nothing like it was made out to be.

Firstly, I was only a Supervisor when the other Supervisor wasn’t in, which mean I was just a normal member of staff. The people I worked with were b!tchy behind each other’s backs but nice to their faces, the “team” & I use that term loosely were two-faced & tried to cause as much grief for me as possible. I made mistakes I hold my hands up but it’s nothing compared to the lies, drama & behaviour of the people who worked here.

I honestly can’t say one good thing about this place, maybe it was just me the people hated, for whatever reason or maybe it was the fact that I wouldn’t bow down & kiss M.C backside everytime she entered the room like the others did.
Pros
Cons
Everything, Management especially!!!
Productive and fun work place
Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire18 May 2017
It was a fantastic experience to experience working at Loughborough University. I learnt a lot of skills including management work and office work and it gave me a taste of what it was like to work in an office and it was thoroughbly enjoyable!
All talk, no action.
Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Loughborough, Leicestershire21 April 2017
The people are very nice but I'm reviewing solely on how it is run. Unfortunately I only received one day training and I had to pretty much teach myself the job asking other staff questions. You only get 20 minutes to change a room and this is not enough time for what they expect from you especially in busy periods.
The management each have different rules and you are constantly being told one thing off one supervisor then the manager will say to do it another way, then totally contradict herself a few months later.
Some of the other staff sit around doing nothing, chatting and playing on their phones and go home early every day. Management know about it but do nothing.
There's also very poor health and safety especially when it comes to the chemicals. Things are constantly going out of stock and laundry comes in dirty and ripped which slows your day up more.
We have meetings and bring up the issues but hardly anything changes. Sometimes it's like they have a mind wipe and forget the issues and suggestions you raised then suddenly they suggest your suggestion and it's the best thing since sliced bread!
Pros
Bonuses
Cons
Little time to do rooms, disorganised management
fun and very enjoyable
Student Ambassador (Current Employee) –  Loughborough29 June 2016
A typical UCAS visit day would be very busy and hence more work for the student helpers. I learnt how to approach shy students who maybe didn't want to talk in front of their parents and keep them engaged in the conversation. Management at Loughborough university is excellent and very flexible where they can be. Co- workers come from a very variety of backgrounds where most are students and are friendly and able to provide first person advice on courses or experiences of friends. The hardest part is trying to get a break as the university is always busy. However, this is the most enjoyable part of the job as you get to meet many people and gain an insight on how the university is seen from the outside.
Pros
free lunches - tailored to your diet
CEDE is a wonderful place to work
CEDE Intern (Current Employee) –  Loughborough18 April 2016
Loughborough University is broken down into many different departments, I was lucky enough to be employed at CEDE. I love working here and am very sad that CEDE may not exist in the future.
Productive and fun
Computer Science Teacher (Current Employee) –  Loughborough, ENG27 November 2015
Enjoyable environment with decent amount of red tape and politics.
Working alongside with my colleagues is enjoyable
Pros
environment
Stimulating and result-oriented
Research Assistant (Current Employee) –  Loughborough29 July 2015
Working at Loughborough University as researcher you are constantly pushed to pursuit the highest levels possible. It is a stimulating environment as you are surrounded by researchers who deal with many different aspects of engineering research, which are openly willing to help and offer their insight.
Dealing with student projects is the part that offers more in terms of learning process. It is common to deal with a variety of different projects, which involve different types of industry (aerospace, biomechanics, rubbers and... even food).
The management works great, is based on human relation and dialogue. The key to deal with the administration in Loughborough is by talking to people face to face.
You will have to expect a lot of travelling, conferences are a fundamental part of the job and you will be pushed to attend many during the year.
The hardest part of the job is obviously the problem solving process during research. You will be pushed to the highest achievable, which means stepping out of comfort zone. Most of the technical issues you will have to deal with are unique and nobody besides you ever faced them. This require a lot of spirit and intelligence.
The most enjoyable is definitely the travelling, I personally liked to spend all the spring/summer time of the year going to conferences, it allowed me to visit different countries and make contacts all over the world.
productive workplace
Kitchen staff / hall staff (Former Employee) –  Loughborough6 May 2014
In a typical day working for the university i will clock in and then start on the till for 30 mins whilst the students come in to pay for their lunch, after being on the till i will go in to the back of the kitchen and work either on the scraping and dishwasher section or drying and putting away section, this is for the plates and cutlery, i will also fetch trays with finished food on out of the dining hall to bring through to the kitchen to be cleaned. After all the plates and cutlery are cleaned and put away i will get the mop and clean the floors and then clean the tables int hr dinning hall and then finish up by cleaning out the coffee machine and taking out the trash.

I have learned how to deal with customers which are some times unreasonable (e.g. students) , how to communicate with co-workers to get a job done, how to deliver a good customer service and also how to work on a till, clean out a coffee machine and use commercial size equipment (e.g. the dishwasher)

The management there was great and so was my co-workers.

The hardest part of the job was keeping up with pace of all the dishes needing cleaning at once and cutlery needing to be cleaned and then put back out to be used again.

The most enjoyable part of the job was seeing and meeting new people whilst on the till.
Pros
Great pay
Cons
messy work with food
Great place for research
POSTDOCTORAL RESEARCH ASSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Loughborough24 September 2013
A typical day included research work, laboratory experiments as well as guidance of postgraduate students. I learned how to manage research projects and to organise meetings, as my supervisor was the leader of a research consortium, part of which was my research subject. In addition I gained deep knowledge of a new exciting scientific topic as the fuel cells including their internal structure, electrochemical operation and control methods. The management was very helpful in promoting the research outcomes to industrial as well as academic partners and to support research efforts with the appropriate resources. I had the pleasure to work with people of different specializations and often we had very constructive dialogues on technical subjects. The hardest part of the job was the requirement of spending of considerable amount of time in teleconferences with colleagues from other 5 Universities, which were members of the consortium, as we had all to keep track of the progress of our parts. The most enjoyable part of the job was to familiarize myself with unknown to me at that stage experimental equipment, which was required in order to construct experimental rig for electrochemical testing of fuel cells during control system simulation experiments.
Productive and motivating
Marie Curie research fellow (Current Employee) –  Loughborough5 August 2013
Being a reaserch fellow in Mechanical Engineering department is a demanding job that requires a lot of hard work which enhanced my time and work management skills. The employees are treated well and the work environment is nice. A typical working day involves planning and carrying out simulations and experiments, liasing with the project parteners and supervising undergraduate students. Being an academia, the work culture is mixed with a diversified network of staff and students that boosted my experience to work with mutil-cultural personnels. Overall, it's a nice experience for me.
Pros
Freedom of work
Cons
Long hours, Less resources