Lookers Employee Reviews

Very poor wage structure,unachievable bonus scheme
Technician (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow14 December 2018
Lookers keep insisting they are a top ten company to work for when in fact they have not given there employees a cost of living wage rise for 4 years...
Pros
Good products.
Cons
Very poor pay.
Keep the plates spinning
Parts Manager (Former Employee) –  Essex24 November 2018
Having just left a JLR site i thought i should leave a review.

Lookers themselves are a great employer. They pay well, all staff get access to some great offers and deals from things like cinema tickets to buying cars. The holiday allowance is also very good.

Unfortunately the site I had also had some negatives. I put these more down to the brand I was working for. Jaguar, Land Rover.

JLR are having a quite testing few years and as a result, profits are down. For me personally we were doing alot of warranty work which there is little profit in and ultimately profit is very important.

As a result of actually turning over more money year on year but making a reduced % of profit, mainly down to the level of warranty work being undertaken due to poor build quality, I was not allowed to employ which was desperately needed and left me in a tough position.

I ended up working from the very early hours (4am starting work which was an hour from home) and finishing around 5:30-6pm before driving home for a period which left me absolutely knackered but also put strain on my home life and health.

This ultimately led to me leaving and seeking alternative employment.

There was a general lack of support and I would hazard a guess that the above was not even relayed to senior management at any point.

As I said above Lookers are a good employer, but maybe think twice about joining a JLR brand.
Pros
Good pay, great holiday allowance, progression for staff
Cons
Long hours, short staffed, low staff morale, some questionable management decisions at times
BDC is a glorified call centre job
bdc call centre (Former Employee) –  Essex17 October 2018
I was not there long, was very disappointing to say the least as my job role kept getting chopped and changed, communication wasn't brilliant, turned up to a training day to be told it was my first day, hadn't even been told or given my working hours!? had someone train me, who didn't drive, and immediately stated he didn't like people who are into cars or modifying cars, and wanted me to ring round and book everyone in 'urgently' for a brake fluid change even if people had just had a full service done on their cars, which is not needed and total nonsense, quite frankly ripping people off, which im not comfortable with. This person who was in charge of one of the BDC units as a supervisor then told me he was going to give me 5 minutes worth of training as it was so busy, then proceeded to have a full meltdown, like hysterical, halfway through my 5 minute training, because a waiting customers email hadn't been answered within the time limit..... i cannot fault the managers, they were lovely and made me feel welcome, i was very disappointed by this, and this one persons behavior who i would be working alongside 24/7 honestly made me never want to go back, on top of the fact my hours and job role had all been changed to sitting in a call centre.....which wasn't the job i applied for or been promised. dissapointed with lookers ford, and they have missed out on having me on their team, ive just been head hunted by some very high end super car companies, so onto new pastures.
Pros
bar the one person, everyone was friendly, fast paced
Cons
bad lack of communication, hardly any parking
28 November 2018

Thanks for your review. We are sorry to hear that your experience with us has not been a positve one.The environment you have described is not what we expect at Lookers and your feedback has been taken on board.

Career Route, financially rewarding
Floor Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Chester2 September 2018
with any work in the automotive industry the chance to earn a lot of money is there. also with a variety of different jobs available you could find a job suited to you
28 November 2018

Thank you for your review. We are glad to hear that you found your role at Lookers financially rewarding. We also agree that there are soo many different employment opportunities within the motor industry which make it a great choice when looking for a new role.

Great company, just want their pound of flesh for paying you for a days work
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  North West18 July 2018
Lookers are a great company to work for. Value their employees, pay above average salary, put achievable incentives and bonuses on to stretch your performance, and pay you what they say they will ! Good advancement opportunities, good senior management across the board and they all recognise hard work. If you want an easy life, low pay, no morale, no ambition, do not work here as it wont be for you. Lookers are always looking to reward hard work but will not pay you for doing a half hearted job..
Pros
Good opportunity for a career, advancement within company, good incentives and bonuses, staff appreciation.
Cons
Weekend working but it goes with the territory if you chose the job !!
28 November 2018

Thanks for your review. We're delighted to hear that you feel valued and that you can see the opportunities available to you! We appreciate that our industry can be demanding whch is why we increased our holiday allowances last year to allow our people more time off to recharge their batteries.

Needs improvement
Parts Advisor (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside25 June 2018
The hardest part of the job is the customers who want their parts or car done there and then, there are room for improvements in Lookers and could do with a major reshuffle in the advancing systems into management and progression.
Pros
Easy to get to work
Cons
Poor managment
28 November 2018

Thanks for your review. We understand that our industry can be particulary demanding and are disappointed to hear your opinion of the management at your location. We work hard to ensure we're continually improving and would encourage you to offer any suggestions to your Managerment team.

Good employer
Management Accountant (Current Employee) –  Manchester13 June 2018
Helpful team members, good location and offices in Altrincham.
Management team trust their teams to perform a effective role and successfully impact the company
28 November 2018

Thanks for your review. It's great to hear that you feel valued and that you are making a positive impact to our business. We feel that Lookers is a great and rewarding place to work

Pressure job
Workshop controller (Former Employee) –  Morden, Greater London1 June 2018
Good company to work for.The branch I worked at large turnover of staff from senior management to workshop staff. Poor management in certain areas of the branch.
Pros
Good company
Cons
Long hours and journey.
28 November 2018

Thank you for your review. We're glad to hear that you Feel that Lookers is a good company to work for. We are disappointed to read your opinion of the management in your dealership.We work hard to ensure that our business is a supportive and rewarding environment.Your feedback has been taken on board.

Great workplace
Technician (Current Employee) –  Ellesmere Port30 May 2018
Start at 8 finish at 5 - great work atmosphere, everyone is great to get along with and everything runs smooth! No issues at all with the place in general
28 November 2018

Thank you for your review. Delighted to hear that you have found our business to have such a positive working environment and great people too! We hope you enjoy a long and prosperous career with us.

Terrible place - best avoided
Project Manager (Former Employee) –  Manchester, Greater Manchester25 May 2018
Complete lack of strategy and ability to plan ahead, decisions taken without any thought of consideration about their longer term impacts.

HR allowed recruitment to continue on whilst a redundancy exercise was taking place, resulting is on several employees being made redundant just after starting: one on his second day, and another before she had actually started. Shameful way to carry on.

Don't believe the gloss on other ratings sites - this place is a toxic workplace.
1 June 2018

As you have acknowledged we've had a recent restructure within our IT team. This decision has been made with a great deal of thought and consideration.
Two recent recruits were affected due to recruitment continuing to take place without authority as senior management were also affected by the changes.
We have sought to find alternative roles for those affected.
We are confident that this localised issue in no way reflects the wider company culture and Lookers remains a great, rewarding place to work.

Productive workplace
Apprentice Mechanic (Current Employee) –  Leeds25 May 2018
In the lookers workshop a lot of work is completed due to the high demand. I have found that the management will do what they can to help you. Unfortunately without the opportunity to earn bonus as an apprentice the pay is not enough.
Pros
Paid tea break
Cons
Low pay and no bonus for apprentices.
1 June 2018

Thank you for your review. It's fantastic to hear you're working with a great management team. As you progress through your apprenticeship your salary will increase in line with government guidelines then allowing you to progress to one of our qualified technician roles where you'll be rewarded with much greater earning potential. In the meantime it's a great way to learn while earning.

Never boring
Financial Controller (Current Employee) –  Liverpool, Merseyside24 May 2018
always challenging, i have never been bored in the role - there is a good atmosphere and great teamwork. the environment is constantly changing and the company is changing to adapt to this.
1 June 2018

Many thanks for your review. We certainly agree our business is never boring! Great to hear you're working in such a positive environment.

Very busy and totally customer focused.
Service Advisor (Current Employee) –  Stockport, Greater Manchester23 May 2018
Very busy from start to finish. Learned a lot about motor trade. Have a fantastic relationship with my colleagues and customers.my management.are great to work for. Work life balance is my only difficulty.
Pros
Customer focus
Cons
Work life balance
1 June 2018

Thank you for your review. We appreciate our industry can be particularly demanding which is why we increased our holiday allowances last year to allow our people more time off to recharge their batteries. It's really fantastic to hear you're working with a great team, it makes all the difference!

Great development opportunities
Portfolio Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester3 May 2018
Ambitious company with a sustained track record of growth in sales and profitability over multiple years.

Friendly and positive working environment.
1 June 2018

Thank you for your review, we're delighted that you have found our business to be a friendly and positive environment. We complete agree and are looking forward to continued growth and profitability.

Never again!!!
Sales Executive (Former Employee) –  Hampshire23 March 2018
If you don't want a life then this is the job for you! Also when you hand in your notice get prepared to get ripped off as they dont like to pay you any money owed! Never again would i work for lookers!
Pros
Cons
Long hours, cut the money you earn, will rip you off
1 June 2018

We are disappointed to hear your experience of Lookers has not been a positive one. Please get in touch with us at Hradminteam@lookers.co.uk with details of your pay query and we will investigate that for you. Thanks for taking the time to write this review.

not a nice place to work
Aftersales Manager (Current Employee) –  Chester, Cheshire20 March 2018
No help from General Manager. Always too busy to help despite numerous as kings for help. All other staff were great and my team were excellent and I could not have asked for more.
1 June 2018

Thank you for your review, it is disappointing to hear that you do not feel supported by your GM. If you have a specific grievance then we would encourage you to speak with your Divisional HR Manager who will be able to support you. We're pleased to hear that the rest of your team are excellent.

Was a good company......not so much now.
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands12 March 2018
Used to be a good company that cared for its' employees however over the last couple of years that has dramatically changed.

Ask too much of their staff and do not provide the adequate support network in order for them to carry out their duties. Targets unachievable,
1 June 2018

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. Our business has grown significantly over the last couple of years and as we grow we are continually reviewing how we are set up to our support people. Last year we introduced an enhanced holiday entitlement, critical illness cover and length of service awards to recognise the hard work and commitment from our people.

Long hours but worth it
Sales executive Nissan Accredited sales executive (Current Employee) –  Leeds2 March 2018
Can be stressful and hard work but worth it! A great sales team and some great managers are creating stability within the dealership. Nice to see people progress and be given opportunities.
Cons
No receptionist
1 June 2018

Many thanks for your review. As you've recognised our industry can be as challenging as it is rewarding! it's great to hear you're supported by a fantastic team and can see the opportunities available.

Poor management
Technician (Former Employee) –  Speke8 February 2018
On the whole, the people you work with on a day to day level will all be friendly and helpful. The customer service element is none existent in how staff treat and talk to customers, and the management are all clueless and weak. If the management pulled their fingers out and done their jobs it could actually be a good company to work for
Cons
Low pay, bad management
1 June 2018

Thanks for your review. We're disappointed to hear your opinion of the management in your dealership and particularly saddened to hear your view of the customer service provided. Your feedback has been taken on board.