Play YouTube video button

United Kingdom65 reviews
Featured review
Look Ahead Care And Support selected this as a representative review
Great place to work"
I have been working at Look Ahead Housing and Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working, approachable and friendly staff, passionate people. You feel like you are really making a difference to vulnerable people.

Cons

It is a difficult job as the customers are really hard to reach and vulnerable people. Not for the faint hearted.
Very disappointed
Been with this company for many years and IM very disheartened over the years and have had some very supportive managers, however, am disgusted with new management who were unsupportive , unprofessional bullies who treated staff like rubbish, if anything goes wrong, staff are always blamed and they’re quick to put you on capability or disciplinary!! Pay is disgusting considering they work you so hard!!
Productive but stressful environment
Look Ahead is a very good company when promoting people. However, the pay is low for what you are expected to do. It is a good charity that cares a lot about its workers. However, there are areas of improvement which is why the turnover for staff is extremely high leaving services understaffed
5 out of 5
During my employ the whole process was Very good including My induction..which included thorough DBS checks..and Screening...Excellent training in all areas..of support for vulnerable persons..with the emphasis on a personal care approach (PCA) Peer support and advocacy in a Sometimes forensic setting toenable
Supportive management
My team and the management were extremely supportive, however, some colleagues were successfully avoiding doing their job.
The safety of the staff and the residents was very well maintained and all the procedures were clear, all the accidents/incidents were properly dealt with and recorded without hiding anything. The clients were verbally abusive time to time, do not expect gratitude, the support is taken as granted.

I did not enjoy the work pattern as almost every day I worked different shifts (there were MANY possible shifts).

You never feel bored as there is no the same day.

I enjoyed the job, thought I felt hopeless to change the situation of the clients as their problems were too complex....

The training opportunities were great and the staff was encouraged to take it. The staff were listened and their opinion was important, however, it may differ from the current situation and my review is only about the project I worked for.

P.S. the communication with HR was horrible, they did not reply to some my emails, were rude over the phone. I had to contact them as they supposed to order my DBS. It took them over one month and the whole employment process took over 2 months.
stressful but productive.
As I am working with young at risk adults, who have either been in care or been declared homeless, it can be stressful when supporting them in finding accommodation, employment or education. I have developed my skills in finding the appropriate benefits available to my customer's and I have been successful in helping some of them find the own accommodation and employment. Also within 6 months of being employed i have been promoted to a Specialist Support Worker.
I’m not happy in my work currently
I’ve had a £300 pay rise since starting, contracts manager is not supportive to staff. The work life balance is not very good, we work 6 and 7 straight shifts in a week as part of the rolling rota.
An environment with loads of opportunity
Great work environment, there is a lot to do but it helps prepare staff for better opportunity. There is a lot to learn in short space of time. There is also training opportunity to develop
Pros
Opportunity for promotion
Cons
So much paper work
Never again
Just awful . Met some nice friends but the place is dysfunctional . Management were bias and contradictory. Flexible working non existent. Just dont work here.
Not too good
I have been working with lookahead since2018 ,I would like to recommend this company, the management is professional and help staff during time of crisis. Lookahead give staff chance to growing up
Self Serving Sycophants
This is a company that loves to tick boxes especially when there is a external audit looming. Look Ahead carry out staff surveys and are perplexed as to why they fare so poorly every time. The simple reason is that the leadership do not listen to staff and carry on regardless of the feedback received. There are 2 directorates affectionally known as the Bullying (Care) and Dull (Support) directorates - self explanatory. The directorates are supported by a Heads of Operations Team that really are glorified secretaries to separate the Directors from the lower ranks of unhappy staff The Heads of operations Team look completely lost, contribute nothing and are petrified to challenge their superiors even though their direct reports suffer in the process. The HR team are clueless and CM's have to deal with most HR issues whilst the Business Partners support the directors. The Senior Team separate themselves from the lower classes in a separate part of the building with the best facilities, technology and furniture whilst bleating on about us all being valued the same. The Heads of Departments at Head Office are aloof and removed from front line staff and you are lucky to get a response to your queries unless of course you cc their manager in then they get back to you very quickly. The staff turnover in this place is shocking mostly caused by low salaries for front line staff and adding to staff stress and anxiety which results in massive levels of sickness. The senior teams strategic response to this is to award a 1.5% increase to the lowest paid staff WHO ARE ON £19000 AND - more...
Pros
Salary is always paid on 25th (even if not correct)
Cons
Senior Leadership & Management Teams
Fix up or Go home Look Ahead
Anything I have learnt, I have learnt myself and from my contract manager.
There is no significant training available for support workers or managers around important front line experiences such as ; de-escalation, finances, managing teams, conflict resolution, not even around drug and alcohol awareness, extremely concerning I could go on.

The same trainings are regurgitated every year.

This company lacks vision, creativity, understanding, compassion and innovation.

Look Ahead (well the Seniors sitting in HQ) doesn't understand or doesn't seem to actually care about the impact staff turnover has on the overall running of services, and most importantly, the impact this has on our clients. This issue has been going on for years, no active interest from seniors at Head Office who can push to make something happen. Clearly don't care due to their lovely salaries.

Support workers roughly spend one year and a half, in services, and often recognize the grass is greener else where and leave where there are much more development opportunities, higher salaries and where there is more investment in staff, who can blame them, I can't.

There is never any support from HQ around serious incidents in services, they don't even seem to have an independent team who investigate matters arising in services, let alone a support team, unbelievable, considering how big the organization is.

Myself and the staff are directly involved in the production line of Look Ahead Care and support and this is a business need and something that should be carefully considered.

It gets tiring
 - more...
Pros
My staff and clients
Cons
Long Hours, clueless Head Office, gaps in training provision
Really good organisation with good career progress for those who have work ethics and the drive and passion to succeed. Exceptional support for staff and training opportunities for those who want to develop their career
Pros
Development
Cons
Needs passionate workers as day to day is unpredictable
Amazing place to work
I really enjoy to work there. My team is brilliant, and my manager is very supportive. Head office is great. If you are good, you’ve got a chance to make a career and they will give you this opportunity. Work is very interesting, and you’ve got good work/life balance. Also money is okay.
Pros
Great team and management
Helping the Homeless
A great company setup to help street homeless and support vulnerable adults in there homes. very satisfying to see the results that were made positive on peoples lives
Pros
training
Cons
stressful at times
The Strangest Interview I Ever Had
Recently I went for an OT position advertised through Indeed with Look Ahead. Prior to the interview, I was warmly greeted by the manager and made to feel at ease which was nice. Then I was asked what an occupational therapist did as her only thought on the matter was that they 'watched people walking in hospitals'. I remember thinking at the time that that was weird as she should know because she was interviewing me for the role.

We did the interview (Friday) and I was told that I would know the outcome 'next week'. Nothing heard Monday and by late Tuesday afternoon I decided to touch base by email. I got not reply. I left it another few days and on late Friday morning I emailed again. There was no reply. I then called and left a message for the manager to contact me and eventually I got an email to say that I had been unsuccessful. By that time I really didn't want the job anyway - why wait a whole week to tell a candidate that!

Needless to say I'm not even convinced that there was a role - they appeared so wishy-washy they'd probably changed their minds and decided not to go ahead with the position.

So, whilst this is only a snap shot of one experience, tread carefully would be my message - especially if you're a healthcare PROFESSIONAL.
Pros
Appeared professional at first
Cons
A very poor professional experience
it's a shame
I genuinely love the work i do , staff team are some of the best people i have ever worked with .The customers make my day , they always have a smile for you and are happy you are there, that makes me so humble to do the work i do. The training opportunities are fantastic and i am always encouraged to learn and develop personally , the sad part for me is although you may have completed the most up to date qualifications and passed , there is no guarantee that you will progress internally. This leads to good people moving on when some are prepared to stay the duration and give full commitment to working within the organisation and customers but progression is not always offered or can be very slow this can leave you frustrated. Other than that Lookahead have provided me with so many memorable experiences , the opportunity to work with customers who are some of the most amazing individuals i have ever met. So for that i am grateful. Avoiding politics leads to a fulfilling career , dont get involved and your experience may just be the best one you have . The experience of working in a challenging , complex environment will give your career a great boost .
Pros
amazing customers / team work
Cons
great workers who leave
Overworked and underpaid
The best thing about the company is the people that work there, they are really friendly and helpful. They don't pay very well or appreciate anyone going above and beyond.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
low pay
Extremely poor and mediocre. Corruption and discrimination is rife at this particular company.
Look Ahead is one of the worst organisation to work for ,as it does not believe in front line staff development and career progression. The I integrated Fulfilment Service in Lambeth is managed by yobbish, infantile and unprofessional management team; whose main function is to bully, harass and adopt preferential treatment amongst its employees. The contract manager and it's inexperienced and despicable team leaders are nothing but bitter, racist and corrupted individuals who suffer from a low self esteem. The senior management team are also very inefficient as they do not comply with the organisation policies and procedures. They suffer from severe form of corruption and mismanagement: and they are the driving vehicle behind the existing mal practice and deplorable and appalling treatment that 15 member of staff had been through in less than a year. The board of directors and the CEO should really maintain a close follow up in this area as the company's reputation has gone down hill. A full.complaint has also been forwarded to the CCG in the respective borough, as this situation is unbearable. SHAME ON THEM!
Pros
The wonderful client group
Cons
Discriminatory management group who lacks real leadership qualities.
Official response from Look Ahead Care And Support
11 January 2019
Thank you for your comment. We take feedback very seriously and we would welcome direct feedback regarding concerns to HR@lookahead.org.uk.
Good place to learn about individuals in crisis.
Supporting service users with their mental health issues.

I have learned to prioritise my work load.

Management style is good.

Workplace culture is friendly but professional.

Hardest part of the job is not being able to help everyone.

Most enjoyable when service users have felt they have achieved something positive in their recovery.
Pros
Good team work
Fast paced and friendly place to work
I was part of the Communications Team at Look Ahead during a very exciting time for the organisation. It is a very fast paced organisation but one that has a very friendly atmosphere making it a very enjoyable place to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Look Ahead Care And Support. Our community is ready to answer.
2.9