Look Ahead Care And Support Employee Reviews

Fast paced and friendly place to work
Communications and Information Officer (Former Employee) –  London, UK28 June 2018
I was part of the Communications Team at Look Ahead during a very exciting time for the organisation. It is a very fast paced organisation but one that has a very friendly atmosphere making it a very enjoyable place to work.
Good team mates
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London16 June 2018
A typical day at work cannot be predicted because no day is ever the same. There are days you conduct two or more referrals, seeing your clients, speaking to professions, attending professionals meeting to mention a few. However, time spent with colleagues is usually very great with loads of fun; very intelligent and experienced colleagues within the team. Good communication, information sharing and monthly reflective practice by staff and managers to help discuss issues and challenges in our day to day work and how best to deal with it. You must be up to date with your work ensuring proper records are maintained. Staff are encouraged to get involved with some business decision making during team building/ away day. There is opportunity for progression to managerial level. Relevant training are provided and supervision with manager is regular and consistent every 6 weeks. Staff get involved with appraisal and are allowed to give own review and feedback on own performance. Working with a good manager can make the job more enjoyable and helps to improve on own performance. A good manager will trust your individual judgement and decision based on performance. Some managers are approachable based on how experience they are in the job. Staff diversity is great within Lookahead. Workload can sometimes be too over bearing.
Pros
Progression
Cons
High staff turnover
appaling management!
Support Worker Mental Health (Former Employee) –  suffolk house, mental health recovery house11 June 2018
The managers are completely absent. The contract manager not only works entirely from home and understand very little of the nature of the service and of the staff roles and duties but she has also no manners when talking, instructing and addressing issues with staff. She is all but a role model and can easily put off staff.
We changed team leader and this is also working from home at the weekends. How can a service such as ours be run from home?
Other mangers never seen....

Although I do the best I can do , I feel sorry for the service users who are the real victims of bad management.
Pros
there are no pros
Cons
Many
Great Company
Administrator (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London2 May 2018
Look Ahead is a great company to work for, provides excellent training and development opportunities for progression.

Staff are helpful and work as part of a team, I enjoy working in a positive working environment to help improve services.
Empresa perfeita para trabalhar
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Londres5 April 2018
Desde os colaboradores até a gestão Look Ahead é uma empresa impecável. O trabalho é bastante recompensador e tens todos os incentivos pra crescer e aprender.
Friendly, very busy environment
Floating support (Current Employee) –  Croydon20 March 2018
I enjoyed my time at Look Ahead, they are an advanced company with good knowledge.
I wanted to broaden my skill set so I choose to move on.
I would recommend Look Ahead to anyone who wants to work within mental health.
Pros
Good Management
Cons
Busy environment, lack of computers
1 of the best places i have ever worked
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Manor Place Hostel27 February 2018
I really enjoy working for look ahead care and support.
I have an excellent team and also management is great.
They are extremely supportive as my job role within working with Vulnerable women with complex needs can be very demanding.
I am so grateful for the experience and training that I have gained and if I do get another job that pays me a more I will be really sad to leave :-(
Pros
Alot of training and support from my team and management
Cons
No cons apart from wanting a higher salary as the work we do is very intense
Great place
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London8 January 2018
Staff are brilliant, management are fantastic, however, as PSAs are on casual contracts, there is no job security unless you become a support worker. However, there are always hours available, but are shared amongst other casual workers.
Do not work for this organisation
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  South East6 January 2018
It's an organisation that bullies its colleagues, poor and lazy management who put all the accountability on staff. If you make a complaint either 2 things will happen.
Nothing or they will fail your probation.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, bad pay, lack of support and structure.
Flexible employer with good progression opportunities
Central Services Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London4 August 2017
I've always felt very well supported working at Look Ahead - the flexibility they offer is a massive plus point for me and I've always been shown a lot of support, both professionally and personally. Family work life balance is good and I think if you work hard, people are keen to progress you and help you move onto the next step. You can also move around quite easily - going from working in mental health to homelessness or from services to head office or vice versa.

This sector is undeniably tough for people who work within it, especially those who work directly in services and who are on the front line. A lot of the challenges and pressures people feel (high caseloads, salaries not as high as people would like) I feel come ultimately from local authority funding cuts and commissioning decisions - not from the organisation directly. I think these things are common to the sector not just this employer.

I've always felt that everyone here is genuinely committed to the work the organisation does - supporting vulnerable people and helping them to change and improve their lives. There's also great colleagues and I think that there is a genuine effort to recognise and thank people that do a great job. It's an organisation that's full of passionate people and I've always enjoyed the fact that it's a buzzy place to work.
rewarding and coproductive
Customer Engagement Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London2 August 2017
enjoy working here because I am able to have autonomy of the project I co-ordinate. I also feel I am making a difference in the lives of excluded groups.
Pros
expenses paid
Cons
not paid
Productive workplace
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Tower Hamlets11 July 2017
Great place to start if your looking to working in an organisation that is passionate about finding great carers for children in care. good training and a busy environment.
Cons
Need to be be Flexible
Enjoyable
Hairdresser (Former Employee) –  Billinge24 May 2017
This is a job i really enjoyed because i started when i left school and enjoyed all aspects of hairdressing ranging from being sociable and meeting new people.
The worst housing provider I ever worked for.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London8 May 2017
I have worked in the industry for a long time and this company takes the title of worst support provider by a country mile. For some unknown reason all the best people got 'managed' out or went on 'gardening' leave with a nice handshake to keep quiet. The heart has gone from this once compassionate company and now runs like a commercial business where senior salaries, performance and bonuses for those at the top are awarded at a higher percentage than the rest of the lower ranks.
We got the usual 1%(no pay rise again) but those at the top received up to 4%. What is clear is that the bonus system takes precedent over customers opportunities. The company have now stopped doing the staff surveys due to the bad feedback received about the senior leadership team. Heads buried firmly in the sand until a merger partner arrives to save the day.
Pros
long suffering support workers
Cons
poor leadership and director level
Responsibilities
Homeless Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Tunbridge Wells28 April 2017
My previous job was hectic, constantly changing, often demanding.
I learned to work on my own initiative, adapt to changes, work as part of a team.
Minimal support from Management who encouraged a workplace culture of nervousness among the staff.
Hardest part of the job was the stress.
Most enjoyable part was the customers and learning daily, helping people rebuild their lives.
Pros
I enjoyed the work.
Cons
Shift work, working most weekends.
good place to work
Support worker (Current Employee) –  soutkwark18 March 2017
• Developing productive relationships with partner organizations to improve service outcomes.
• Involving customers in the design, development and delivery of the service.
• Being responsible for the handover of key information between shifts.
• Engaging in learning and development activity to increase knowledge and skills.
Pros
Training
Cons
night shift
Lacking in Leadership
Contract Manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London8 March 2017
I started at Look Ahead with high optimism about a company that used to be featured in the top 100 small companies to work for. It soon became clear that I joined just as things were on the decline and the demise of this company has gathered momentum especially since 2015. Here is why: loss of apparently secure contracts, massive turnover of central staff, shockingly poor HR department, Constant restructuring at Operations manager level, vision-less leadership, salary cuts to lowest paid staff despite awarding executive bonuses to the highest paid, decimation of the customers life skills budget, maintenance overspend, disconnect between directors and managers, low morale (see staff survey results), leadership team not living the values of the company, reduction in staffing, reduction in contracts, redundancies, poor (inexcusable) IT systems for front line support staff, separation between directors and lower level managers at head offices, incompetent and inefficient central services, complete loss of data in HR i.e references and DBS dates (enabling uncleared staff to work with out of date checks), massive overspend in central budgets. Need I say more?
Pros
unsure
Cons
Really poor leadership
Awful Experience at Manager Level
Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London8 March 2017
I learnt very quickly that the way to the top in this company is to be compliant and agree with the SMT. However, this would involve leaving your morals and convictions at home. What incensed me the most and ultimately my reason for leaving was the decision to end the customer life skills budget which enabled independence and ownership of the services. How a company that made so much surplus from local authority grant funding could bank the profits and leave customers trapped in dependence was beyond me. But then it soon became clear that the rental for the head offices in Westminster and the executive bonuses were due.
Pros
Great Support Workers
Cons
Clueless Leadership compounded by poor decisions
Do not apply, it's better for your health being unemployed
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London12 February 2017
OMG!
Worked here and learnt what not look for in a company. Awful HR department that lacks basic HR knowledge. Maintenance department that will not paint customers flats when void. Massively understaffed finance department with elusive CFO who received the aforementioned executive bonus. Directors recent restructuring leaves Operational managers overstretched and now invisible. It is a complete horror show which is why we the staff have no option but to leave reviews like this in the hope that things get better. Somebody please help us.
Pros
Cons
The Poor Leadership at the very top
Chuckle Brothers Housing
Central services manager (Current Employee) –  Westminster, Greater London11 February 2017
Where does one begin to describe the appealing leadership at the top branches of this rotting tree. Visionless, bullying, reactionary, invisible and defunct. Constant restructuring and redundancies. Clueless tendering processes with innacurate central costs resulting in front line staff having to work massive hours to break even resulting in burn out, mistakes (medication errors) and demotivated staff. On a positive side the plush Westminster offices look great funded by the cuts to the customers lifeskills budget. I thought we existed to create opportunities for vulnerable customers. However it seems that we exist to fund the executve bonuses awarded by the renumeration committee. Shame on you.
Pros
Long suffering resilliant support workers
Cons
Dangerous leadership

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Look Ahead Care And Support. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9