Longleat Employee Reviews

Bad bullying problem - Avoid.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Longleat21 September 2019
A typical day will include bullying, favouritism and a continuous 'one rule for one, one rule for another' ethos which leaves you never knowing where you stand. The hours are very long, and the work/life balance is not a good one.

I learnt that this company does not stand by it's cultural values and does not practice what it preaches. It certainly does not 'put people first' unless you are the correct person. It is all about maximum profit at any cost, with people being sacked for no good reason at any given time. You are not secure.

Management/HR claim they cannot help with or stop the bullying culture, and refuse to accept that they employ human beings and not robots. They treat their workforce badly and will not work with you on problems, as you will always be the issue. This has left employees scarred and too stressed to function once they leave the company. They are non-understanding of pretty much everything and if you have any mental health difficulties, please proceed with extreme caution as these will be used against you, as will other things despite there being no company policy on issues raised.

The workplace culture is an extremely negative one. You are constantly scrutinised and never good enough, despite busting your gut for the company. You will always be treated as though you are thick, no matter how experienced you are. There is little to no respect and certain 'management' are clueless of how to effectively operate and work with a team of people.

The job is hard all round, physically, mentally and emotionally. The pay is awful for what is asked
  more... of you.
The best part of the job is the free tickets for staff.
In the dark ages
Chef (Former Employee) –  Fb26 August 2019
Lovely scenery but that's about it. Salary and benifits shocking and management completely hit and miss.... Lack of investment very obvious and safety far from top of the agenda
Worst job i have ever had
Food & Beverage Team Member (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire25 May 2019
The job overall was very draining and stressful. There was little to no support from the management team. In an 9 hour day you would only have two 20 minuets breaks, the other members of staff were the only enjoyable part of the shift.
Pros
Free tickets
Cons
Long hours, no support
Longleat- Kitchen assisant
Kitchen Porter (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire25 April 2019
I enjoyed working at Longleat, being part of a team. Also enjoyed meeting new people each day I worked there. Got the job over and done with. I done 9-11 hours for 4 days straight.
If you wish to get lost in the crowd and not be listened too then this is the place to be.
Carnivore keeper (Former Employee) –  Warminster17 April 2019
Longleat was the foot in the door I needed for my profession, however you are nothing but a number to the higher ups. You have no say in anything, other sections find out things about your animals long before you do, no one higher than my team manager knew who any of my team were which is shocking. The place is more obsessed with making money than taking care of its employees.

All employees start off on 0 hour contracts and minimum wage which during the summer when you could be doing 12 hour shifts is fine but during the winter months it's not livable I had to get a 2nd job just to support myself. You have no job security as your contract is broken every January and you don't find out till the day your contract is broken whether you are to return or not which is very stressful.

They are very 'one rule for one and one rule for another' especially when it comes to animal to staff vehicle incidents if you are a low keeper then you are servely punished with a driving ban and a mark against your name however if you are lead keeper or higher they don't give a monkeys.

If you have opinions or ideas don't bother they will never listen to you, you are basically a glorified babysitter. The vehicles you patrol in are shocking most are held together with cable ties, doors don't shut probably 2 out of a fleet of 8 cars will have a barely working air con and heating system and during summer and winter being sat in those trucks is horrendous.

The only thing I enjoyed is getting to learn and know my animals, watching the tigers explore or lions climbing up trees and yes the occasional
  more... controlled chases were fun and all the keepers on the same level as you are lovely I made some cracking friends who I will be staying in contact with.

However I gave them almost two years of my life and moved a very long way for this job only to be told that I was too opinionated and that is why i was fired.

Also a very serious incident occurred during this time and they tried to pin the blame on one of my former colleagues as she happened to be near by and of 'lower rank' than going to an investigation and handing out the correct punishment to the person involved.
Pros
Lovely keeping team, animals well kept
Cons
Long hours, bad contracts, no one listens to you, unacceptable work equiptment
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire24 January 2019
Very good place to work for however pay isn't great and neither is the work hours. Good choice of restaurants to work in and get staff members. Ideal place to work for.
Pros
Discounts
Cons
Pay, Work hours
Productive, fast paced and fun.
Food & Beverage Team Member (Former Employee) –  Warminster6 November 2018
It was great working at Longleat, was never a day like another. Always something different happening or to do. Being given the responsibility of opening on running a store was great, as I was able to gain more experience in management and organisation of stock.
Pros
Reasonable hours and breaks.
Cons
Occasional miscommunication within team.
Seasonal pocket money but no long term prospects
Attractions assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster23 April 2018
Great workplace - perfect job for students or short-term work. I was the only person in my age range (30-45 bracket) it was lovely to see staff in their 60's mixing with students. Everyone got on, the work culture is great. I wanted a long-term career here, I had a lot to offer the company. I kept putting myself out there, only to fall onto deaf ears. The reality is that long-term there doesn't seem to be any prospects ( I was warned of this when I started by another wise employee). Even keeping staff on, seems impossibly complicated for managers to organize. A whole admin team is missing? Longleat only works because of the people dedicated to the job and not the managers themselves.
I enjoyed it but like everyone else, I moved on after a couple of months with fond memories.
Pros
Free entry, good provision of uniform, fun and unstressful
Cons
expensive on-site food with tiny discount, low wages, extreme weather conditions in winter
Interesting placed of work
Coach driver and VIP car driver (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire1 April 2018
I found working at longleat safari park a very interesting and knowledgeable place to work I started off as a safari bus driver while learning about all the animals then progressed to becoming a VIP tours driver
Pros
Seeing the animals every day learning more about them
Cons
Long hours during summer months
Poor values compliance and unscrupulous business practices
Management (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire20 March 2018
Very poor at putting people first, currently streamlining and utilising employee law loopholes to exit people with no process. Little to no consistency between departments and their compliance with policy
Pros
Work environment
Cons
Poor treatment of workforce
Boring, unhappy, dreadful environment.
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire27 February 2018
Management doesn’t care about other employees.
Conditions are either too hot or too cold because something is always broken.
Pay is awful even when minimum wage is implemented.
Most systems, like the oven, the sign in scanner, the cashier, etc, are very difficult to get used to/don’t even work during work hours.
Pros
There are none
Cons
Too many to write
A good starting point for a career
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wilture4 January 2018
Longleat Safari was a great starting point for my career however not somewhere where I felt I could progress due to the size of the business, Overall a fun place to work.
Pros
Nice Location
Cons
Pay
Terrible place to work.
Longleat food and beverage assistant (Former Employee) –  Wiltshire10 December 2017
Treated like rubbish. Not appreciated enough. Spoken down to. No thanks for your good work. Benefits aren't amazing. Favouritism. If they don't like you they will treat you like rubbish.
Pros
No pros.
Cons
Nearly everything.
Fun to work but not friendly staff
Food and Beverage Manager (Former Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire6 November 2017
I enjoyed working at longleat due to the benefits of discount on food and a free pass each month, however I did not like getting short breaks and having long days. Due to my age (16) at the time, I was told I wasn’t allowed to work over 8 hours a day with only an half an hour and 20 minute break and still did.
Pros
Discount on food
Cons
Long days, less breaks
Good fun
Attractions Assistant (Former Employee) –  Corsley4 November 2017
Longleat safari is one of the funnest places I have worked. I was luck to be on attractions. Shifts work on a rotary system and you work a different attraction each shift so there is a lot of variety.
Okay if you are permanent or its your first job
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Warminster19 March 2017
The most enjoyable part of this job was definitely the staff. The customers are on a day out so it is nice that you can contribute to making it an amazing day for them. Longleat itself is also a very beautiful place to work, there is always something going on and everywhere you look you'll see animals, which is lovely and something after a while you begin to take for granted. However, expect to work long days, if you are over 18, 12 hours plus in the peak periods. Often in the peak periods you wont get both breaks and if you do you won't receive your first break until you've been working five plus hours. The managers and supervisors are always changing and this means that you never really know where you are or what you're doing. Information doesn't always get shared between staff and the management meaning bad communication and problems further down the line.
Pros
The environment, the customers, the animals, the staff
Cons
Long hours, the management, not receiving enough breaks
Busy workplace
Food and Beverage Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tropical Storm Restaurant14 March 2017
I found that the workplace at Longleat was always busy with a constant influx of new and different customers that enabled be to develop my customer service skills.
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
£4, 82 for under 18's doing the same job
Very nice and friendly colleagues
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Longleat10 January 2017
as soon as I joined longleat I felt welcomed and I got on with my colleagues immediately. Management were fanstastic and constantly made sure I was settling in ok.
Pros
Good staff discounts
Dont bother
Sales assistant/photographer (Former Employee) –  Warminster10 November 2016
0 hour contracts, unfriendly bullying staff, and only temporary postions for seasons on all jobs apart from working with the animal positions........ DONT BOTHER.
Productive and Fun Place
Commis Chef (Former Employee) –  Warminster4 June 2016
A typical day is not stressful at all, but responsibility and commitment is important as every job.
Also it is multicultural place which we learn different values between everyone, friendship between staffs, and staff and customers is really easy to make as we all work as team to contribute for a great environment.
Pros
Bonus at Christmas and Easter Term Holidays
Cons
Minimum National Salary according with age, No salary promotion