London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine

London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine Employee Reviews

United Kingdom17 reviews
It is good to work at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine.
I did there a master in public health for developing countries and now i work there.
School overall is good but some line management strategies need to be revaluated. Excellent training opportunities available - hopefully you'll get a good line manager who is supportive.
Interesting and varied work, involving contact with lots of different people. Ability to learn new skills like communication, teamwork, presentation skills and report writing.
Pros
International organisation
Cons
N/a
Arrived on time to organise time for research and development of a presentation on a given medical-related topic in groups. Engaged and interacted with a diverse range of professionals and researchers.
Pros
Interactive
Cons
Time management
A vibrant research community that provides flexibility to work and allows creativity too. I was lucky to have had an excellent line manager who was very interested in my career progression and provided a conducive working environment for all.
Pros
A vibrant research community, more like a family. Excellent work-life balance with flexibility of work
Cons
Job insecurity, runs mostly on research grants, younger scientists are constantly panicking about the next stage.
I worked temporarily in a project to clean and organised the dataset with registration of Dengue epidemic. Excellent opportunity to build my data analysis skill. Great environment.
This is one of the most excellent places to work if you are into tropical diseases without having to even travel to a tropical country. They work with many countries ad the WHO to find treatment, cures and preventative medicine.
An amazing place to work at as there are many people with different backgrounds. Very friendly environment. Pay is well paid and recognised for your work.
Was lucky to have a great boss who was supportive of my growth and learning. I wanted to move to industry therefore made the transition out. The school environment is rigorous compared to others in the area and its reputation in the UK is superb.
Pros
Friendly atmosphere
Cons
Management bureaucratic
Working in academia I am finding the environment conducive to learning and I am enjoying the interaction with my colleagues who contribute to my learning and progress by holding deep scientific discussions. A workday is long but work is entirely enjoyable. The aspect of gaining further understanding is the best part of the job. The commuting for this job s the worst part.
Pros
learning
Cons
commuting
LSH&TM has some of the leading Public Health professionals in the world, and a student body from all continents and backgrounds. Together this contributes to an outstanding education
Hard working and inspirational environment. A close community of hard workers and ambition. My ambition to work towards improving population health has started from working with this company.
We had started our day by taking in what the postgraduate school had to offer. We had time to go into their labs and get a first hand look into the biology of cells and viruses.
We had also been given a task and deadline to research any topic in science and present if to a large group of scientists and other student from the school.
Pros
Traveling into london everyday
A typical day at work involves making sure every aspect of my job is done correctly and efficiently but there is also room to learn about the history of the school.
- Wonderful classmates
- Well respected professors

- Helpful administration
The buildings are a mix of old listed buildings and brand new office blocks. The science of research requires the facilities to be at the top level and this places many demands on the estate team. No two days are the same and we are constantly fire fightiong to achieve the goals. There is however still a great deal of long term planning and strategic decisions to be
My team are all very dedicated professionals who enjoy the challenge of providing first class research facilities. Many of them have been employed in the school for a several years and still have enthusiasm for their roles.

It is a great place to work
Pros
Full people who are dedicated to bettering the standard of research into medical challenges
Cons
Working in Central London
Was left to work unsupervised and manage my day accordingly
Learned to manage time well, multi-task and keep up with vast amounts of information and responsibility

Management was brilliant! The professors were professional and courteous. I was treated as an equal, not as the 'hired help'.

Coworkers were great - always quick to lend a hand if stuck on a project

Being in 5 places at one time!

Meeting people from various countries and learning about different cultures. Being treated as an equal really goes a long way
Pros
42 days off per year
Cons
None, really