LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY

LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY Employee Reviews

United Kingdom91 reviews
As an hourly-paid lecturer I lacked some of the relative, ling term job security of full-time academic staff. HPLs tend to get used when and where necessary. I might have led modules, held seminars, given guest lectures (when the full-timers wanted a day off!), or any combination of the above. The work load can fluctuate. Unless it interrupts post-graduate research, say Yes to as much work as you can.
Pros
Flexibility and a good hourly rate
Cons
They dropped me without notice.
I enjoyed my time working with this institute, it allowed me to not only help students but to also benefit my time there. Additionally, this role has improved my communication skills.
Always have new things to do, doing a variety of jobs, which makes it enjoyable and different each day when coming into work. Work is very team based and the environment is very friendly.
Making cuts everywhere and getting rid of staff. Worked in the Timetabling Team and took 2 months off sick leave after being bullied and harassed by the Timetabling Officer. There was an investigation and she was found guilty of all accusations. I was resigned and was compensated.
Pros
Canteen is value for money
Cons
No social culture
Productive and good place to work. Good working environment.

Fair working practices

Good policies and work incentives

Wide range of diversity among employees

Good work ethics which encourage independent working and multicultural policies
I do love my job. I would suggest this work position for any student who has good diary management and wants flexible work.
The payment is good enough for the living standard in London.
Nice colleagues to work with in the main. Large workload but working hard is recognised, very rewarding to work with the students. The vision is to transform lives.
Haven't worked there long enough to say, can only comment on what I have heard from fellow lecturers.

Hourly fees for guest lecturers seem good, but cannot compare to industry standard as I am new to the industry.
personally didn't enjoy the experience,the pay was good enough to stay but not long enough to lose your mind..

also if your from an ethnic background be prepared for the indirect racial slurs. for example calling you by "shaniqua " even though you name is on your desk and its no where near that name lol

just a heads up seeing as i cant avoid reviewing,
The whole time the morale was incredibly low. Not an environment I could be developed in and a lot of restructuring that went in with lots of staff leaving at peak times.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY?
Great work experience while study.

Where you can enhance a lots of knowledge and experience and meet a lots of national and International students along.
Love the environment and the staff are so helpful. There are also so many opportunities to gain skills and step out of your comfort zone.
They also provide very thorough training, which is extremely helpful.
Endless flow of reforms after merging of UNL with London Guildhill University, which negatively affected workers morale. There were regular redundancies campains (voluntary and compulsory)...
Amazing opportunity to learn while working.
Opportunity to meet mind a like people.

Support from above in any beginnings.

Creative and fun environment.
well-paid, easy and straightforward work, not demanding, would recommend to anyone leaving university who needs a temporary job to make a bit of money.
A great place to work but there is little or no progression. Managers are nice and friendly and everyone gets along really well. Certain days are different as you get to do other stuff while on other days it's just about doing repetitive task.
Pros
Work/life balance, good benefits
Cons
Lack of job security
LondonMet has always provided career progression for me, I started working here after my undergraduate course and have never left. I have incredible colleagues and it is fun workplace, especially because it is a teaching focused institution and they support your professional development.
Lots of lovely hard working staff, however there is a very toxic work culture at this institution and they do no value their staff at all. Such a shame. I hope the new VC can chnage things.
I was working here whilst studying in University. I was working in the networking department with 4 others and I have learnt a lot whilst working with them.
Learned a lot - a good start to the working life - pay and job security could be better
Management however is not professional and lack leadership and appropriate skills to work there
Very diverse environment where all staff are helpful and kind. Very complex but easy to pickup and understand the university. Very well pay and you get to choose the days you prefer to work.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY. Our community is ready to answer.
LONDON METROPOLITAN UNIVERSITY Reviews by Location