London Borough of Redbridge Employee Reviews

Working in school suits my family life
Data Officer (Current Employee) –  Cleveland Road Primary School28 February 2018
Working in a primary school suits my family life. Being a single parent, it is hard to juggle work/personal life as well as studies. Being able to have holidays at the same time as your children is definitely a bonus but am prepared to work full-time now as my children are older.
Difficult place to work
Parking Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Redbridge28 February 2018
The London Borough of Redbridge (LBR) is one of the smaller local authorities within London.

It is considerably behind the majority of other boroughs in terms of innovation and development in all areas and this has created a very challenging environment to work in.

Due to the previous Chief Executive and his team failing to take appropriate measures when the financial crisis took hold LBR is currently in the process of trying to find savings up to £60,000,000 over the next two years. This contributes to the challenging nature of the workplace environment.

Senior Management continue to struggle to get to grips with the best way to guarantee these savings leading to regular changes of direction in policy and priorities making my role particularly uncomfortable.

The best of the job for me is the autonomy I have within my role. I am not micro managed and this has allowed me to develop within the role over the years.
Pros
Autonomy within my role
Cons
Current working environment
Changing Culture
Freelance basis (Former Employee) –  Redbridge, MD23 February 2018
The organisation is on a journey to be One Brilliant Team. It is appearing to be a very long journey and many employees of all types are finding it very uncomfortable
Pros
Quality of work
Cons
Happy clapping
Work life balance
Governors Support Officer (Former Employee) –  Redbridge18 December 2017
Local and good work life balance
Walking distance to work
Near the high road
Supportive line manager
Busy and stretched due to a small team
Not a secure job
Pros
Local
Cons
Stretched
London Borough of Redbridge
Senior Environmental Health Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Lynton House, 255-259 High Road, Ilford26 November 2017
I find the London Borough of Redbridge to be a good employer who are committed to improving the standard of life of their residents and to providing a working environment for their employees that encourages commitment and dedication.
Pros
Home working opportunities
Cons
My commute
Fab place
Post room Supervisor/Customer Services Officer (Former Employee) –  Redbridge21 November 2017
Enjoyed working with colleagues and also with customers such a wide variety of enquiries when dealing with all council issues. enquiries could be educated related, cleansing, highways
Undergoing enormous change in Education and Inclusion
Recruitment Manager (Current Employee) –  London24 October 2017
Unfortunately the very large salaries drawn by the chiefs means very few Indians left to do the work. Plenty of management speak about teams and challenges but they are fundamentally clueless about the direction local government needs to take. A lot of hot air being expelled about becoming a traded service or some form of limited company- deckchair re-arrangement on the Titanic springs to mind.
There will be opportunities in future, there always are, but the loss of expertise means restarting from a low base.
Remodelling has resulted in no offices and hot desking as the norm which really tells you how expendable you are
A lot of blogging by senior management which they think is communication but are we really interested in where they arte going for their next holiday?
Pros
Good schools
Cons
Hot desking and poor working environment
Tough place to work. Needs a culture overhaul
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London25 September 2017
Still a long way to go. Needs much stronger management to deliver the changes required.Needs to attract quality staff.
Great work ethic by lots of teams though.
flexible work
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Essex4 August 2017
enjoyable job, relaxed atmosphere. good management. arrived and collected from meters in the borough, returned and passed to be counted, bagged and made ready for collection. enjoyed fellow workers, only downside being out in all weathers.
Pros
flexible
Cons
out in all weathers
ok
Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London19 June 2017
Its ok but they need to look after those who wish to progress and acknowledge good work and performance. There are no increases in salary even though one is working above the required standard with additional responsibilities
Pros
local
Cons
no progression
effective and fun workplace
FAMILY WORKER (Former Employee) –  Redbridge16 May 2017
a typical day looks like mixture of duties i.e. contacting clients, facilitating a parenting programme session, updating case notes for attendees and non-attendees, 1:1 support work with clients and inform sharing as appropriate with other professionals involved with the children in safeguarding.
Pros
local and flexible working
Cons
pay freeze
loved it
Ground Maintenance and Cemetery technician (Former Employee) –  London20 March 2017
great job working for the borough great team nice hours of work plenty of work a bit dirty at times but thats part of the job great job loved every minet
Pros
good hours
Cons
got dirty
Transformation
Information Governance Consultant (Current Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London10 March 2017
An organisation undergoing a significant amount of change, that affects the motivation of the workforce. Once completed and the forward momentum is achieved this will be an organisation to be followed
good first job
pot girl (Former Employee) –  fairlop water13 December 2016
This was my first job I worked their for nearly two years and it gave me a good insight to how the working world works.

My job included stock rotation and cleaning the bar. I also served the gold customers item that included golf balls and green fees.
On night when event toke place I would collect glass from tables and make sure that the bar was always stocked and clean glass where available
Challenging but fun workplace
Senior Administrator (Former Employee) –  Barkingside5 October 2016
The job was not routine and it was forever changing which what I liked about it and the workplace was amazing. Nonetheless the cost cutting strategy that the council embarked on it was inevitable that work would get more demanding. Staff were not valued in the process as it was purely a number crunching exercise. Skills were not matched to appropriate Jobs hence staffs left were unexperienced and turnover of staff keep increasing. Management was very poor with no clear direction.
Pros
Very easy to commute
Cons
Expectations were beyond capacity
What used to be a good employer is no longer.
Various Positions (Former Employee) –  Redbridge23 August 2016
I worked for Redbride for many years, it's used to be a great place to work and with supportive management. This is no longer the case, management has lost touch with its workers and the people who live in the borough. There are many many vacancies in Redbrige now just take a look, many people have left their employment and for good reasons .......If I was looking for a new job Redbridge would be at the bottom of my list.
Pros
Good job work life balance
Cons
Poor and detached management.
Caring & Conscientious staff
Resources Officer (Current Employee) –  Ilford9 July 2016
Non-Stop working
Great Caring & Conscientious Staff
The hardest part of the job is trying to complete everything in the allotted time
Most enjoyable part of the job is knowing you have completed the task in the allotted time
Pros
Flexible Working
Good teamwork,lack of comunication with middle management sometimes but Ok
Facilities Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford12 May 2016
same routine at most but needed for procedure and safety, always a course of training given to improve your skills eg.Caretaking N.V.Q. levels to qualify. Management very good but hard to communicate with some problems, co-workers are good with teamwork, split shifts on the day not that enjoyable. End of the week good a day off maybe two.
Pros
Cons
Split Shifts
fun place to work
Planning enforcement Officer (Former Employee) –  sadSGH28 January 2016
I HATE THIS AUTOMATED ENTRY SYSTEM IT SUCKS

the job at LBR was a good one and Id work there again if the chance arose. good managers, flexible working hours, fair pay and a challenging job
Pros
q
Cons
dffre
supportive team
Asbestos Officer (Former Employee) –  Redbridge, ENG14 November 2015
Very supportive and friendly co workers, lots of work to cover every day , desk & field work to be done so every day was varied.
Pros
flexi working
Cons
low salary

Ask a question about working or interviewing at London Borough of Redbridge. Our community is ready to answer.

London Borough of Redbridge Reviews by Location