LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD

LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD Employee Reviews

United Kingdom28 reviews
A good place to work but difficult to progress due to jobs being advertised but with current post-holders invariably getting those jobs which are effectively earmarked
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
No progression
Not a positive experience
Managers not supportive or experienced..Manager more interested in keeping her job shows she had little management skills.
The Borough should ensure salary benchmark with other local authorities. The salary is not competitive at all! In addition management should ensure that they motivate their staff
A fun and friendly but also serious insight into the work behind everything
An enjoyable employer to work for however a reluctance to increase the number of full time positions required to provide an excellent service to members lead to a stressful working environment towards the end of my employment.
Working for Waltham Forest was a good experience for me as an agency social worker. I developed a great working relationship with the managers, staff and senior management.
I have loved being a social worker and having a wide range of complex cases and have had opportunities to progress with my career as well as dealing with lot of different professionals.
Pros
Working with children
Cons
I have worked as an early years practitioner on and off for around 28 years. Only taking breaks to have children. I am looking for a part time job to keep me involved in other areas and to help fianacialy.
Pros
Different challenges every day
Cons
No weekend or holiday work. Only term time.
Days do not remain typical for a lot of local government employees which range from dustbinmen to social workers. There is a big difference between fairly routine operational services and those that experience policy, structural and funding changes almost constantly.

In Economic Development managment of human resources is gearing towards less permanent council employees and more use of contracted professionals who will complete a specific project and move on. These are opportunities for those willing or forced to job hop in the hope of applying for a futher post whilst in house. Managers vary but all are encouraged to adhere to equal opps and professionalism. Staff are somewhat protected by Personal Appraisals as regards job content and performance. Personally, I was very fortunate with my last manager who encouraged me to take on training for more interesting duties, and trusted me when I was innovative.

At ground level government cuts are hitting local government very hard with less people doing more work to keep services at functioning levels. However, essential training for changes in work role is usually available. Changes in job role to gain experience or training are likely to be lateral rather than upwardly mobile unless one leaves ones job for another at a higher grade.

Health and Safety and working conditions are excellent. As an employer the Council acknowledges unionism, allocating office space for two unions in its main building.

In Business and Economic developement the hardest part of the job can be workload, and conflicting - remorseless
 - more...
Pros
Good working conditions
Cons
Deadlines can be tight and hours long at peak times.
Excellent opportunity for professional development, but can then be a challenge to advance. The job is challenging and rewarding, but there is very little acknowledgment when working as support staff in school.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD?
Charles Babbage House-

Poor company to work in. Particularly within the referral and assessment team. A culture of gossiping, bullying and lack of communication between staff and management.

very awkward environment to work in. There are other local authorities that value social workers more. Don't waste your time here.

You will be left to figure things out alone with a lack of assistance.
Pros
n/a
Cons
work goes unappreciated, lack of support, culture of bullying
Typical day at work is answering phone calls from clients, GPs and those with general enquiries. Everyone is friendly and I have no complaints whatsoever
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Difficult clients
Enfield is situated on great transport links into London and the country. Many good primary schools in the borough. As this is the only borough I have worked for I cannot make comparisons.
I loved teaching in Enfield. They are great for your first position as have high expectations but offer lots of support. The children are lovely, but lots come from difficult backgrounds which is challenging in itself.
Pros
Supportive place
Cons
The new working structure means that there is now no chance of advancement for staff working at scale 4. The next pay-grade is a management officer, and libraries have been cut to be "staffed" with volunteers. The 4 main libraries that are still run with paid staff are very understaffed and stressful. The volunteer-staffed libraries often have no volunteers and paid staff have to be located at very short notice.
Pros
Rigid pay scale
Cons
stressfull environment, understaffed, no advancement.
A typical day in my role was to check the cases in my'online' work tray to see differentiate between those that were ready for me to administer Benefit, and those requiring further supporting evidence and information to complete the case. Any falling into the latter category I followed up with courtesy phone call, reminder letter, or email where an email address had been supplied. Each follow up included a reminder of the deadline date for the information to reach me. Where customers were facing eviction, I ensured that I gave priority to gathering all supporting evidence/information as a matter of urgency, contacting Support/Key workers if the customer had been assigned one due to their vulnerability. I also had the opportunity to see customers face to face whilst on Counter duty, and manned the phone calls for the Landlord dedicated call line - this duty was given to all Benefit Assessors on an agreed rota basis.

In my role, besides learning extensive Benefit Regulations, various computer programs, and how to be efficient, I also learned how important it is to work in harmony with my managers, Team Members, and external staff/organisations.

The hardest part of my job was when I was unable to award Benefit, or backdate benefit, due the customer failing to satisfy all the criteria that had to be met under Benefit Regulations. In those cases I would refer them on to another Team that catered for assistance via other means.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to avert homelessness and hardship for customers, and also the satisfaction of everyday
 - more...
Pros
I was allocated thirty days annual leave.
Cons
Redundancies occurred.I took voluntary redundancy to pursue a new career with new challenges.
Every day is a different challenge, as customers and their enquiries vary each day. The best part of the job is knowing that I have excelled in my job and provided rewarding customer care, advice and knowledge.
working as part of a professional, hard working, target driven team to achieve our individual and team targets, to assist in sustaining tenants tenancies, by maximising tenants income and making affordable repayment agreements. A firm, but fair, approach to income recovery. Being prepared to enforce Court orders and carry out evictions is the hardest part of the job, but necessary.
Pros
Flexible working hours, 32 days annual leave, local Authority Pension
Cons
Not enough joint working within some teams
Everyday i deal with confidential information from clients asking about their housing benefits or their council tax's. It is my job to make sure their emails are index to the right location on the system to make sure the right benefit assessor deals with them as fast as possible. Also i deal with systems such as civica, matrix as well as Lagan and inform. I have gained new skills and feel alot more confident when talking to customers. Communication skills develop daily.
Pros
felixible
Cons
repetitive
I would describe working for London Borough of Enfield as a place that provides on the job training within any position I have worked within for a broad range of skills from dealing with people, coordinating projects to submitting reports and documentation. I have continually added to my skills set and learned a lot about legislation particularly around the Children Act. My co-worker have always been helpful and generous with their time. The hardest part of the job is up-skilling yourself sufficiently to apply for promotions. The most enjoyable part for me was making new lifelong friends.
Pros
Good for training - on the job and inhouse courses
Cons
communication could be improved
A typical day at work is ensuring my team of specialists officers are interpreting, implementing and enforcing environmental legislation with Environmental issues.

I've learned to be a master in what I do, as I don't want to be mastered by what I do not do right.

I have a great team that understand service pressures.

The hardest part of the job is working hard, maintaining a balance between corporate objectives and customer needs.

The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting customers expectations.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD. Our community is ready to answer.
LONDON BOROUGH OF ENFIELD Reviews by Location