London Borough of Camden

London Borough of Camden Employee Reviews

United Kingdom53 reviews
Generally a good workplace
Learnt the culture of a local authority and how a local government works in terms of procedures, working system and also the politics between staff members
Nice people
Stayed there for the people. Poor progression from within. The organisation is going down the route of bringing in people from outside as opposed to promoting from within.
Great for work life balance
Camden is great for work life balance and encourages flexibility and agile working. This is particularly useful if you are married with kids or studying.
Camden are good employer but tend to have a lot of reorganisations.
I generally start work around 7.45am. As I cover a number of estates I firstly will attend to the refuse and any bulk left out and remove any hazards. As I work on my own most of the time I only meet up with my colleagues if required to attend to a job which may require more than one person. The hardest part of the job is clearing bulk which has been dumped or thrown out such as beds, chairs etc. As I carry out minor repairs on the estate or in residents homes, this I find enjoyable as you are helping them and they enjoy the company if they happen to be on their own.
Excellent Flexible Working place
London Borough of Camden is great place for flexible working and great for parents with child care.
You have Agile working which enables you to work from home, however this can vary depending on which service within the council you work for.

There are excellent opportunities of progression but not enough support or mentoring to help achieve them.
Good Place to work
Its a good place to work with lots of progression opportunities.
however the only problem is that it can be difficult for those with childcare responsibilities. Some services are flexible and some arent.
The pleasure of working with children is great.
A problem is the so-called supervisor social workers who fill the boxes of reports and forms, but when it comes to real help, fees on December 24th or December 31st disappear. In a word, all day long, they write e-mails that you can write yourself, but for something really done, especially concerning finances, you never have a timely answer, and sometimes even forget that you are waiting for an answer.
The environment of the department I worked was excellent when I started because the Principal officer in 2005.
Brilliant environment to work and always happy to leave the house for work.
Developed good knowledge of the profession through an outstanding PO and line manager.

The management was very good and supportive until 2008 when the culture of the establishment changed.

The job was stressful enough to combine with the negative politics of the new management. The situation impacted on my health and decided to leave for good.

I enjoyed the frontline and environment because we all worked as a big team.
Productive and Fun environment
brilliant place to work and people and surrounding areas are friendly.
management and workplace is warm and welcoming.

work level and relax and able to work in agile form
productive but some
London Borough of Camden is an excellent company to works for and has a great work life balance.

Typical day will be catching up with e-mails, managing large contracts, making payments, tendering and contract docs.

Have learnt to work with the leasehold consultation team and managed some great contractors.

Dealing with Complaints that may arise from the role.

Excellent workplace to work, looking for a similar role closer to home.
Pros
challenging environment, due to change in scope of works required and company requirenments
Cons
change in job role and from partering to tendered works, long travel
Good company
Best place I have ever worked, worked there for 15 years and they were a very flexible employer. I changed my role a few times and was able to study day release as I studied my accountancy.
Pros
Flexible employer
Security with a cost
I surveyed property within the borough, updating the land register. Supervised and collated information in regards to various surveys. Provided customer survey spreadsheets for analytical data interpretation. I learned to use new software packages, ie: PinPoint. I was an internal auditor reviewing internal procedures and documents to improve customer service.
Pros
Secure job for many years
Cons
Poor pay and liable to political change.
Productive and friendly environment
Camden is a great place to work. The Borough itself is dynamic and diverse and an exciting place to be based. The Council wants to best of the people of Camden and is fantastic in thinking ahead to ensure the welfare of residents. There is real passion to achieve that vision. The offices are open and airy, can get quite noisy but you can work from a private room if it gets too much. Management are diligent to ensure welfare of staff with frequent support sessions and opportunities to voice any concerns.
Cultural
Working for a local council has giving me an opportunity to understand how cities develop in their own needs, the implementation of policies could be very positive or have a negative impact in the community, you need to be flexible within you and have the time to analized and change wht it needs to be change, of course this has to be with the community for the community.
You need to be able to learn and accept your mistakes, and have the ability to recieve and procees feedback in a posotive way, see your weakness and convert them into fortitudes, that is what I leart from working with the local council
Pros
Training
Awesome
To start with, the most amazing part of this company is it does not let you feel like you are a employee. It feels like a family. Work is good and great seniors to guide. You feel you are in safe hands.
Management: Starting with the million dollar smile HR, she is an amazing person. Not sure how she manages to make sure each of us are being noticed, acknowledged, appreciated. Best HR i have ever worked …
Good place to work in the eGov era
When i worked at LBC on the eGov agenda we had a huge programme of work to engage citizens to interact with us online which was great because we could see the efficiencies. But it got harder when the central government funding got cut.
Nice office
I work in and outside the office, learnt MAPinfo and decent management. I worked around my degree so very flexible. Hardest part of the job was the flexibility and most enjoyable at the same time was the flexibility
Well paid job
The best part of the job was, like always, seeing the children grow, become independent and confident, and learn new things.

To be proffessional, I won't mention any more details about this job, if more information about it is required, I will be happy to talk about it.
Pros
Camden jobs are well paid.
Cons
No comment
Enjoyable
Every day was different, never knew what kind of customer you would be facing.
Working environment was relaxed.

learned multiple softwares, and enhanced my customer service skills.
Pros
Job Life Balance
Cons
Job Security
Great place, great people.
I loved working there. I need another 100 characters or so for 'indeed' to let me go and finally search for the job I came here to do not write reviews.
Camden Experience
I worked with Camden for almost a year and developed new skills to better positions in Street Light to then transfer to Hackney.

The atmosphere was professional and productive. The team were dedicated and achieved the council given goals.
Pros
Team players and learning new skills