LONDON BOROUGH OF BRENT Employee Reviews

Challenging and yet satisfying place to work in
Network Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brent4 May 2018
This was my first job after my University Degree and I was thrown at the deep end of setting up a network to share printing resources. I learnt a lot about IT networks and dealing with people from challenging backgrounds. My job involved dealing with IT support calls from three different community sites and training the local community in Microsoft desktop applications.
The hardest part of my job was setting up an Exchange email system for the Learning centre. I did not understand much about SMTP and other protocols and spent sleepless nights educating myself on it.
The most enjoyable part was when the users acknowledged how I had made a difference in their lives and from the support I received from the youth in the community.
Pros
Self motivated and had to push myself harder to meet the challenges.
Cons
Some clients had behavioural challenges.
Don't work here unless you really have to
High costs
could end you career
Very little support
Disability not supported
Pros
Brent was voted least happy place to live in the UK. Thats what you'll be up against.
Cons
They will drain you with re tape, mobile phone bills, hot desking, etc. its horrible.
Flexible
Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support Officer (Current Employee) –  Brent16 January 2018
Brent council is very accommodating and flexible in terms of work. You are allowed to work from home 2 days per week. The building is state of the art
The turnover of staff is extremely high in the team that I am currently in becuase of the workload.
Care Assessor (Current Employee) –  Wembley, Greater London9 January 2018
I need to move on for health reasons. I have completed 6 years in this role. 25 years in total. I have gained a lot of experience with working with customers, clients and other agencies. The hardest part of the job is the caseload. The most enjoyable part of the job is helping my client's to get a service that they deserve.
Pros
Team members are very friendly
Cons
Nil
near to home
Team Leader/Manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London7 May 2017
A great place to work for as it provides a lot of benefits, ie work life balance etc. people are fun to work with. The council also provided training opportunity for staff
Pros
Flexible working and working from home
Started of good then went down hill
Business Support Officer/Team Administrator (Former Employee) –  Brent9 March 2017
Respond to all emails, receive clients and collect information on their lunches and receive money for lunches. Colate daily stats, update reports maintain all paperwork, receive and reconcile accounts, provide manthly, quarterly stats and financal data
Pros
The clients
Cons
Senior management
Structured and public body accountable to the local community for the provision of public services
Accounts Payables Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Wembley Middlesex29 August 2016
The Accounts Payables Team was formed in September 2010 as a result of a Finance Transformation programme, which brought all finance functions under one umbrella to be more accountable and structured. The Accounts Payables team was the busiest team withing the newly formed Finance Service Centre and as the Team Leader, I had to manage a team of 10 staff to ensure that payments to suppliers were delivered according to agreed terms, thereby ensuring that services to the Council were maintained and not compromised. Payments totalled approximately £110 million per annum
Ok
Legal Secretary -Child Protection (Former Employee) –  Wembley16 May 2016
Learnt alot about life in general. How to be a better parent.Very involved job, varied dealing with social workers and seeing how the care system works.
Pros
near to home
Cons
no pay rise
Productive and people friendly
Consultation & Project Officer (Current Employee) –  London11 April 2016
A typical day at work for me includes a range of tasks. They can be from dealing with telephone or written queries to do with consultations to general office duties.

I liaise with different people and different departments internally and externally on a daily basis due to my role.

I have gained a tremendous amount of practical experience in public relations, customer care and team management. My management experience has enabled me to work using my own initiative within company policies and acceptable codes of behaviour.
Pros
Great Team
Great work force, but let down by the organisation
Principle Officer (Former Employee) –  Brent, ENG26 January 2016
The new civic centre is a fantastic environment to work in enabling the organisation to really be in a truly public accessible building. All the services under one roof, right at the very heart of Wembley.

The one thing you will notice at Brent is the real kindness of the workforce, everyone is really friendly and welcoming.

The organisation is based at the very heart of Wembley with the iconic stadium being across the road, with the newly built London Designer Outlet.
Pros
Discount at the London Designer Outlet and other online retailers
Cons
Long hours, lack of eqaulities
Productive fun place to work
Welfare Reform Officer (Former Employee) –  Brent, ENG15 January 2016
Great opportunity and great place to develop your skills. Great team and management. Very supportive management. The job was very demanding but the working environment was supportive.
Productive & fun workplace
Independent Living Advisor, Central Finance Team. (Former Employee) –  London, ENG12 September 2015
I was employed via an agency at the time however, Brent initiated the process to retain me.

Work usually starts with me arriving early before the gate's opened and once in, I power up my computer, sign in for HSE reasons, tea & coffee in the air and few minutes catch up before it's 9am and the phones starts to go.

I've learned that training picked up from previous employment is not a waste at all. I had the best Team Leader ever; we had quite a huge backlog of Service Users with little or no quarterly returns to the Council as part of implementing personalised budgets; Brent had outsourced these duties & with the changes going on at the time, the team leader fashioned a new role fitting for me, right there at the team meeting just so these backlogs were tackled within reasonable statutory timeframes.

I had the best colleagues; we were 5 in total and being the only guy you can imagine. We supported each other and ensured duty of care was on top of the list regardless of background.

The hardest part of the job was distractions while I'm dealing with all the accounts hence the move into another office I shared with the team leader who only visited few times in a month.

The most enjoyable part was all the training, support I received (real investors in people).

Thanks ever so much!
Pros
Support, Training.
Cons
N/a
Need to improve to retain staff
Control Room Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG21 June 2015
Brent need to look at how to keep members of staff,the Council seems to be a stepping stone to a better Council.
Control Room Officer, taking calls from members of the public and helping them with their enqiries.
Pros
Good colleagues
Cons
Management culture
Demanding role
Complaints and Tribunals Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG27 February 2015
This was a demanding position ensuring the work was up to date and delivered to a high standard. I had to train and keep staff motivated at all times.
An experience
Care Assessor/ Review Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 December 2014
This local authority has provided me with many challenges over the years. I have found that there are no two days that are a like which makes each week interesting and important to plan for.

I have learned to develop my existing skills through the attendance of training courses such as Safe-guarding, report writing, working with people with physical and sensory needs.

I have also learned to work effectively with colleagues, clients, carers and other representatives in an objective manner.

I have always maintained a healthy respect for management, however there has been challenges when competing with the needs of the organisation and the needs of clients.

I have predominantly enjoyed my 33 years with this local authority and has maintained some long lasting relationships.
Pros
Can apply flexible working
Cons
Meeting targets
Fun and Flexible
Connexions Assistant (Former Employee) –  London, ENG9 October 2014
Working to assess NEETs
Supporting staff and fellow volunteers
Completing admin duties
Conducting community calls
Going on training days
Pros
Free Lunches, Away days
Cons
Only voluntary
Very productive and good place to progress in your career
Management Information Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG22 September 2014
Participated in a series of projects, working with cross-functional teams to achieve results.
Pros
flexible hours
Very rewarding Job
Foster parent (Current Employee) –  Wembley, ENG19 May 2014
Very busy 24/7 It is your life if your willing to do this. You have to have a lot of understanding and empathy. You need a lot of support from family and friends.
Pros
You work from home
Cons
Changes your life
Very good place to work, as long as they want you
Sign Shop Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Wembley, ENG6 March 2014
I worked for London Borough of Brent for over 8 years, 6 1/2 of them years as Sign Shop Supervisor, which I enjoyed thoroughly. Unfortunately, the department got outsourced and the signs got subcontracted out, which meant there was no opportunity for me to move into the new company. I learned so much in terms of management, production and supervising, and also how local government works. I really saw myself working there until I retired, but it was not to be.
Pros
Flexible hours, good pay and pension scheme
Cons
Made redundant
Team work
Principal Officer (Former Employee) –  London, ENG23 January 2014
It was local to where I lived. Excellent team work between departments.
Pros
My work depended on getting reports from various other professionals on time.
Cons
At times difficult to get agreements between all the departments.