London Borough of Barnet

London Borough of Barnet Employee Reviews

United Kingdom30 reviews
The teamwork really helped. coordination between different teams was good. mixture of full time staff and contractors. I would recommend working there.
I liked working at Barnet in its new building in Colindale.
I was working in an open office environment were the staff friendly and caring.

I was always notifed of training courses.
Barnet Council invests in employees, offers flexible working, innovative ,and positive in embracing change.

Remuneration is excellent with diverse learning opportunities to suit various learning styles.
Pros
Flexible working
Cons
No free parking
Typical day of excitement and friendly atmosphere which supported staff to achieve great productivity.
i learned customer service and team work.

Management was great and encouraging through team building.

work place culture of diversity and rewarding.

The hardest part of the job was customers looking for a school and the most enjoyable part was celebration at the end of the year.
Pros
Friendly environment
Cons
parking sometimes difficult.
Barnet is generally a good place to work, with some wonderful and committed staff. Obviously, it can be a difficult environment to work in, owing to lack of funding & resources (both financial and staffing numbers).

In all my varied roles there, I was involved in many different work scenarios, dealing directly with the public, suppliers, external companies, Government departments, charities etc.

Difficult to specify a typical day, as I held many different roles there, but generally I would spend my day at meetings, advising management of new technologies, helping to devise policy, communications with staff and service users, maintaining and upgrading systems, ensuring correct use of funding etc.

Accordingly, I learned a very wide skill-set; particularly staff management, task co-ordination and prioritisation, decision making, and communication skills (both written and verbal) technical IT systems experience etc.

Management were generally good, and open to flexible working, and the general workplace culture is inclusive and good.

The most enjoyable part of the job was being able to directly help both internal staff and external customers.

The hardest part of the job was not always being able to help all customers, owing to funding restrictions or compliance with standards all ready in place.
Pros
Flexi-time and good leave
Cons
Can be a tough environment to work in
Each day brought new experiences and challenges as I was not only driving a 26 tonne dustcart which meant blocking roads and dealing with often disgruntled motorists but I had to work to a deadline to complete a large round within North London and get to the tip
Pros
All uniform/PPE provided. Sick pay and holiday pay
Cons
Rounds increasing in size and often not given enough loaders
Barnet are a great company to work for. The pay is very good for the job and there is lots and lots and lots and lost of different things to do here and that.
Work is interesting and varied and you feel like you are part of the team. Managers are great and everyone is appreciated. Training is very important and you are encouraged to go on courses.
Pros
Good work ethic
Cons
No perks
Hard-working organisation focusing on the right areas to make a difference to their communities. Friendly senior management. Good opportunities to get involved in a range of areas.
Provided support to consultants within the HR Directorate. Diary management, travel, transcription of correspondence and ad hoc administrative tasks for the department.

Small department, friendly but professional work environment.

Hardest part of the job, to support the whole department when colleagues were on leave.

Enjoyed the job in general.
Pros
Local job
Cons
no cons
I learned a lot about working in a public library. It gave me the chance to do sometime different.Refreshed my customer service skills and new skills.
The work schedule involves mainly helping the public with their book lending enquiries. I have learned a lot about how a library is organised and run. The whole purpose of an effective book display.I have acted up as manager on a number of occasions. I have been responsible for opening the premises and handling enquiries from the public including stakeholders and other outside organisations. We work well as a team but being close knit and a small department there are sometimes personality conflicts. The most difficult part of the job is handling rude and difficult members of the public. I have had to call the police on a few occasions. I enjoy speaking to the public and participating in group activities such as baby groups or adult book groups
Pros
A few days off each week
Cons
Inflexibility with leave and going on relief
loading refuse bins into the back of a trade lorry,,working as part of a very good team which i have worked for more than fifeteen years
Enjoyed working with the local authority. Would still be working there if our section was not bought by an outside company.
Pros
The staff were like a family, we all worked on same floor (open) No two days were the same
Cons
The travelling
Start the day with briefing from line manager. Assess work trays so that we deal with urgent matters.

Prioritizing was one thing I learned.

Time management also came in handy. Overall management was not very good.

Managers overlooked my long-term health problems because I am not visibly disable.

Team spirit was good most of the times.
Pros
Away Days and In house Training
Cons
Shortage of staff
A typical day for me is extremely interesting to me not only because I like to work with my favourite media, which are books dvds and other media. But in this role I get to know more about the media and communicate my love to this amongst my colleagues and customers. I learn more about the stock this way and more about the people's interests in them. And more about my own. My management have always been second to none, so helpful and professional to all staff. The hardest part of the job is learning about all these things, but I have to say this is also the most enjoyable as you never stop learning. It's just the job security here is not at it's best, because of the threat of reduncancy hanging over us all right now. Karen Joannou.
fast paced meeting deadlines
meeting professionals being polite and helpful

preparing for conferences and liaising with agencies

nice team with helpful colleagues
Pros
near to home
Cons
sometimes the meetings will over run and might not have lunch
Productive and fun working environment. Barnet council is a place where you meet helpful, kind, people who encourages, supporting hard working career focused minded individuals. Staff are helpful fun and loving people.
Barnet has now changed in the way services are being delivered to the residents of the council. Other authorities are also looking at this model as more and more financial constraints are put on local authorities.
the working day is quite busy with a lot of different tasks to do throughout the day.

I have done a few training courses such as asbestos awareness, first aid, evac chair course and health & safety awareness.

I have a good relationship with my colleagues.

the hardest part of the job is having to work to tight deadlines when there is a lot of conferences happening on any given day.

the enjoyable part of the job is working in a team that helps get jobs completed.
Pros
the training that is on offer
My day to day role is to carry out Land searches on properties and time to time I help out with the admin. We work in a very positive and friendly environment. My manager is a lovely person and my collegues and I work great together as a team and support one another. I have made good work relationships with other collegeues from different departments as I myself am very approachable. The hardest part of my role is when carrying out a difficult search and its part of a huge site or a new development, then I need to make sure I have all updated information and double check all my data. I love meeting new people and interacting with people here at the council whether they work for the council or clients who have come in for certain reasons.
Pros
Team outtings and parties
Cons
less holidays for annual leave