London Ambulance Service NHS Trust Employee Reviews

Horrible place
Finance (Former Employee) –  Prescot Street18 April 2017
Please don't waste your time.Finance team is a joke! Ops is fully of bullies!!
They need a strong leader to make some serious changes- may be sack the old guys for starters who have rotten the place!!
Diversity in age and background
Make ready (vehicle prep) (Former Employee) –  Hillingdon6 April 2017
Although I worked night shifts , I was eager to meet my colleagues who made the work fun and my manager made I would have a varied role so I was always learning. Always professional but allowed for a bit of fun. I would worked there again if it wasn't for the night shift.
Pros
Got to experience the grimey parts of the NHS.
Cons
Night shift
London Amabulance is a Good Company to work for
EOC Administrator (Current Employee) –  Waterloo Station13 March 2017
Checking and removing folders for patients who have moved out of area, passed away or no longer require Treatment

updating and creating new folders for new patients

Checking the 999 call logs for all the out of London journeys done by our ambulance crews

raising invoices for agency nurses

arranging payments for the language line interpreters.
ringing GPs to update patients records eg DNARs,Palliative etc if they are out of date or due to expire.
hardest part of the job is when we are short staff and we have some important patients emails waiting to be dealt with .I stay on late to try and catch up with the emails. If not the plan is not updated the patient might die because the ambulance crew will not be able to see the care plan from the GP re the patient.

The most enjoyable part was working with colleagues who are helpful
Pros
Hours not flexible
Cons
Good managers
Great staff
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  London20 January 2017
Excellent opportunities and colleagues working in London. Challenging culture caused by the management at times.
Currently going through difficult time as is everywhere in the NHS.
great people to work with.dedixated staff
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  East London, Greater London18 January 2017
There is no typical day you never know what you are going to on a job to job basis. You can spend long hours with your crewmate and become life long friends. Hardest part of job is dealing with traumatic jobs and this can be either adults or children but when everything comes together and a good outcome is achieved it is a great feeling
Pros
job security
Cons
extremly long hours.unworkable rotas.poor work/life balance
Not a very nice place to works if your face doesnt fit
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) (Former Employee) –  London6 January 2017
In order to be successful and enjoy working for this organisation, you would have to be totally dedicated, have no out of work problems and if you do, ignore them. You are a London Ambulance robot. Only supposed to have feelings and emotions about the work you do and nothing else. Any time off needed will be met with annoyance and worst still if you get sick, you are on a sure fire way to not ever being promoted, or able to apply for any other position within the service. If your ill health continues, you will then be under their sickness management policy which could result in your dismissal.
Staff turnover is high and moral very low!
Welcome to life at the London Ambulance Service!
Pros
Lots of overtime
Cons
Long hours no support from management
a very secure and fulfilling job
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London22 December 2016
I would be on call for any 999 call. it could be anything from accidents to illness. The hardest part of front line work is dealing with upset relatives and death or illness in children I had a regular mate so you work as a team
Rewarding, exciting work, stressful at times but worth every second
Emergency Ambulance Crew (Former Employee) –  London2 October 2016
In a job where every minute may be vital, the support of a strong team, determined peers and great team leaders make it all worthwhile. From the very start a reliable source of information and education is provided, a strong work ethic instilled and the chance to talk through any uncertainties you may have is there. The hours may be tough, the jobs even more so, but knowing you are making a real difference, and that you have so many co-workers to share it with makes this a job to be proud of.
Rewarding but staff and financial restrictions impact negatively
Clinical Team Leader (Former Employee) –  London12 September 2016
I was fortunate enough to be able to undertake a number of different roles during my set of shifts that were, generally, at my discretion to self allocate.

The most enjoyable aspects of the job were seeing the genuine patient outcomes and the thanks received by some patients as well as the camaraderie between the clinical staff.

The pressures of reducing staff levels were severely impacting staff moral with clinical staff working long shifts with few to no breaks.While demotivating some staff I never saws patient care be negatively influenced by this.

For balance, i joined the London Ambulance Service in 2000 leaving in 2012 so I am not qualified to comment on the current morale and working practices within the trust currently. That said, I would definitely consider applying for a position with the London Ambulance Service again and remember my time their fondly.
Pros
Great staff camaraderie, fantastic patient care
Cons
External influences impacted on the management of staff reducing morale
very enjoyable job
Ambulance Technician (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon13 June 2016
working on all kinds of 999 calls dealing with all kind of situations working with the public and other emergencies services I was trained to a high level of first aid the job could be very rewarding
Pros
helping the public
Cons
dealing with sick or injured children
Exciting and new Experience
Day Work experience (Former Employee) –  London13 June 2016
i had an amazing day working within the LAS event planning team, it was such a new a different day to any other, i would definitely consider taking this up a courier later on in life.
Pros
new and exciting
Cons
Poor management and bad work ethics
EMERGENCY Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  Waterloo30 April 2016
Poor management structure, poor CEO and unsafe working practices. Guidelines not adhered to, breaks regularly missed and bullying culture sewn through every employee
False front
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  London12 February 2016
This service like to give the impression that they are a forward thinking caring company but they are the total opposite. The senior management are woefully out of touch with their staff and time and time again prove that they are not skilled enough to hold such important posts,yet nothing is done. They treat their experienced staff with distain,they have lost a work force of highly skilled caring technicians/paramdics and replaced them with what they think is a more manageable younger workforce hoping that will solve their appalling figures.... wrong,do not work for this firm,they will ruin you.
Pros
Cons
Too many to mention
Terrible organisation as recent cqc report details
Paramedic (Former Employee) –  London10 February 2016
High stress, no breaks, no recognition from management, bullying culture, poor ongoing training, broken kit and vehicles, always off late, lack of progression or support, don't do it to yourself!!!!!
Pros
?
Cons
All of the details!
Hardworking staff
Area Controller (Former Employee) –  London25 November 2015
The staff at the service could not be faulted: They were committed and dedicated to delivering to our patients. There was a lot of red tape and this resulted in some deterioration in the level of patient care being offered. There was a bullying culture in some areas of the workplace.
Pros
Fabulous colleagues
Cons
Politics
Soul destroying
EMD (Former Employee) –  London12 November 2015
Long hours, low pay, high stress levels. Abuse and threats of violence from the public, constant pressure to meet ever changing targets and little or no support from management. Such low morale amongst front line staff, no wonder so many are choosing to leave.
Pros
Cons
Long hours, no support from management.
Brilliant place to work.
Cluster Planner / Invoicing Clerk (Current Employee) –  London Central6 November 2015
I have enjoyed my role at the London Ambulance Service and am only leaving as I am unable to commit to working shifts as the hours are unsocial.
good
Emergency medical technician (Current Employee) –  waterloo20 October 2015
exciteing career but takes a mentally challenging one I enjoy this job but I don't think it is for me as a life long career.
its a privalage to work for the ambulance service
Horrible organisation to work for
Emergency Medical Dispatcher (Former Employee) –  London6 October 2015
At times an enjoyable place to work, but rarely. Poor moral due to managements lack of respect for staff and put onerous rules in place. 12 hour shift were too long for the stress this role involves. Extremely harsh sickness policy involving dismissal if having 2 period of sickness per year. Having no staff welfare policies in place and disregarding the concerns of the staff. 70% of all EMD's leave the post within 18 months
Pros
Cons
Long hours, disrespect mangement, poor staff moral
Las
ambulanceman (Former Employee) –  London, ENG1 September 2015
Worked in central London covering Parliament and Buckingham Palace. Great colleagues, management and support services.
Hardest part of my job was dealing with fatalities