London Ambulance Service NHS Trust

London Ambulance Service NHS Trust Employee Reviews

United Kingdom86 reviews
The work day changed depending on the shift you worked, days were very different to nights. The job was highly satisfying as youa got to help the public and those in need.
Working for LAS is challenging and not for everyone but the culture and environment is good within corporate. It's not your average desk job, but members of staff are all welcoming and there's lots of opportunities for secondments and career progression, and courses to better yourself professionally.
Pros
Opportunities, work culture, the experience
Cons
Can be stressful, many levels of bueracracy
Great organisation to work for. Lot of chance to improve and move on good training and uniform is provided
Pay is very good n comparison to other organisations
A very difficult job to do, made worse by politics at management level. Bullying goes on frequently. Following a very traumatic job you are not allowed time to recover, they practically immediately send you out on the next job. Some of the staff who have been there for years are fantastic, the younger recruits have no communication skills, this being a major factor in a job like this.
A career for those who seek to work in a challenging environment and dealing with people who are often very sick or injured.
You will be challenged daily in your ability to deal with people from London's extremely diverse population and be required to be profession at all times.

Until my retirement this year I would describe it as the best job in the world
The job is stressful and not for everyone. 12 hour shifts and rotational night shifts. Callers are challenging and you expect the staff to be supportive as the protocols are confusing
Pros
Get to help people
Cons
Stressful
Great camaraderie and support, long hours pressurised situations but if you like this environment it’s a great place to work and you will be rewarded and given time off in lieu for your efforts.

I would not have left if it were not for the 2hour commute each day.
Really enjoyed working for such a kind, professional, organised, worthwhile organisation. It was very fulfilling being part of it and I was given autonomy and flexibility
The only positive about the entire organisation is your colleagues. The hours are ridiculous, pay is awful, and management and scheduling are atrocious. International staff are expected to travel for 2+ hours in the middle of the night to work at stations on the M25 border. No ordinary challenge is one way to put it!
Pros
Nil
Cons
As above
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at London Ambulance Service NHS Trust?
in my time working for the Las in the beginning it was relaxed and enjoyable. as the years went by everything became quite stressful.
but that is the way society has become
Pros
good support network
Cons
can be long hours
Sign a 37.5 hr contract and work regularly 55hours+ a week. They tell you it averages out but in reality it doesnt feel that way and you will get home exhausted and miserable.
Working within the NHS it is clear to see how messed up it is and probably wont last. Most staff are miserable and the system is frustratingly outdated and doesnt benefit patients nor staff. You have to conform to 1000's of regulations and procedures and charts tht common sense is non-existant. Everyone covers their own back and the care of the patient comes second to paperwork filling. Overall a very dissapointing company to work for that has no chance of changing.
My job predominantly revolves around taking 999 calls from the general public. I need to remain highly compliant at all times diligently following all work protocols. Accuracy is a prerequisite of all aspects of my job, and a sense of urgency. The most enjoyable part of the job is when a caller is appreciative of our service, or when I am able to save a life or deliver a baby over the phone. The workplace culture is very friendly & supportive as are the management
Working for the London Ambulance Service (LAS) is a great thing and something to be proud of I’m proud of putting my uniform on everyday and getting to help people. The LAS care about and support their employees (personal experience of this), the training is difficult but second to none, and you make some amazing work mates. If you want a career in the ambulance service, then I’d highly recommend joining LAS.
A company that really does care about its staff and appreciates your role in the care of its patients whether youre out on the front line or in the back office. Its ethos is we're all important and couldnt do the job without everyone else. Very inclusive and caring place to work.
Pros
Excellent values of staff and patients
Cons
Offices sometimes in garages, can be cold.
The management bully the workers underneath them. They state how supportive they are to their workers, however the reality is so different. Many are leaving the service due to the oppressive culture.
Everything is a target and it’s extremely stressful with home life becoming non existent ! Proper abuse is every day and that is now part of everyday working life
Fantastic staff dedicated to patients. There are some aspirational senior managers and a coalition of people with an innovative and strategic mindset. A pleasure to work with.
Big organisation, very reactive, can grow in your role. Very robust training and development, good place to learn clinical skills. Life long learning.
Pros
Training
Working at the LAS has been my worst job ever. It started off great but once I got used to the 24hr hour rota I realised how time consuming and tiring it is. It eats into your days off as you’re trying to catch up with sleep or catch up with your own personal errands, before you know it you’re back at work. Very fast pace and depressing environment and even though they’re is a lot of support available via unions and other schemes put in place, they’re very had to get in touch with. I have also found that because of the nature of the job, managers and other “supporting senior staff” do not care about employee health. They expect you to get over things and move on. When you feel stressed or depressed about the job, you’re simply told that this is the nature of the job. There is no real support. I would not recommend working here if you’re looking for a friendly environment to work In, it is very hard to fit in and make friends as everyone either already has their friends or they’re too stressed to give you the time of day. If you’re young and have a social life, do not apply for the LAS as you will no longer have a life.
Pros
Blue light discount
Cons
Very busy day in recruitment throughout the day.
I learnt recruiting international paramedics and TEACS by using TRAC recruitment system.

The management was very good and well organised.

Very positive workplace culture.

Working in recruitment and using TRAC.
I have learned a lot with London ambulance service started off booking patients appointments in call centre quickly transferred to day control .

Their I managed several ambulance driver to and from hospitals picking up patients which I enjoyed every day, challenging experience I enjoyed going to work .

The hardest part of the job was being taupe over to private company
Pros
family friendly