Liz Earle

Liz Earle Employee Reviews

United Kingdom38 reviews
I currently work part time for liz Earle it is a great company to work for with great benefits .
Since the covid 19 outbreak they haven’t been that great we are the last ones standing on the shop floor but do get great support from our managers
Liz Earle was a nice company to work for with lovely staff members. Not a lot of products so you can learn them quickly. Not very busy at some points, so you really have to try and pull customers to the brand. The monthly products is a great benefit and nice way to make staff feel valued.
Pros
Monthly products, Lovely brand and easy to the learn ingredients, Nice staff members
Cons
Too much paper work (old system), Uniform, too outdated and uncomfortable, . Really long hours and Products are not as popular so you can get bored.
i defiantly do not recommend to work in this company! i was bullied out of it by my counter manager and they favourited another member of staff over me who got the “privilege” to become a counter manager in another store.. b**chy/gossipy no training what so ever i was supposed to go to the isle of white one month then it was moved to another month and delayed again, i found out other collegues who started at the same time of me in different stores had gone for their training, counter manager was horrible hanged up on me, other counters in my store were botching, worst company ever!!!
I had a fantastic time at Liz Earle, met some fantastic people! The work there was very faced paced but that’s what I enjoyed the most! Always kept busy. It’s a shame they couldn’t keep anyone on.
Coming from a high end retail environment to Liz Earle I was expecting it to be a vibrant, forward thinking and fair company to find that there is a culture of bullying and harassment from the area managers.

You are instantly dropped in the deep end with no training or support, when you ask a question you never get a straight answer to then find that you will be belittled and criticised.

They send you on a training course on the Isle of Wight to then land you with a undisclosed £500 bill and then provide you with a tubular uniform that would put Jimmy Saville off.

Not a good place to work, it is a girls club that if your face does not fit you will not be accepted. Performance is completely irrelevant (I had the top sales in the region) but playground bullying is key if you want to climb the ladder.
Pros
Nice Products
Cons
Awful people, terrible management structure, professional brown nosers
17 September 2019
Thank you for your review.
We are concerned about your feedback and trust that you've had the opportunity to discuss this further at your exit interview.

Our three month new joiner onboarding plan delivered by a wide ranging network of field and head office support is planned to ensure no one feels like they've been dropped into a deep end. We are therefore really sorry to hear you felt unsupported.

Our contract of employment signed by each new starter is clear on training costs. Standard industry practice is to claim back a small percentage of the actual cost of training from those who leave us shortly after cost has been incurred. With Liz Earle, we apply this across first year leavers only and the percentage paid back depends on length of stay. This is simply to ensure there is a return on investment in our people, which further enables us to carry on providing our comprehensive retail training agenda on continuous basis.

We wish you the best of luck for future and thank you for your time with us.

People and Development Team
I worked for Liz Earle for almost two years and I must say I had an incredible area manager when I started. There were a few different manager's over this period, some were excellent! The pay could be better if I'm honest, however the training is out of this world and that's from someone who's been in retail for almost 30yrs. Great allocation.
I left for change

youyoutfront door
17 September 2019
Thank you for leaving us a review!
We are so sorry to see you go. It sounds like you will take with you plenty of fond memories and love for the brand.

Thank you for all your hard work and good luck with new adventures!

Best Wishes

People and Development Team
This company is full of bullies & this is from an employee who was used to strict, inflexible high expectational management
The only fairminded & reasonable people were

during & from the training dept. Worst experience of my 28 year cosmetic career . Always paid overtime late as well & not always correct.

My immediate line manager had no idea of SE geography & couldn't spell basic words .

Expected to hassle customers searching in store aisles for lesser priced, off the shelf brands in attempts to poach. Free for all with feed back which some colleagues use irresponsibly but encouraged by company . Wierdest company going as extreme passive (training) aggressive (line managers, HR.)
Pros
Box of products monthly
Cons
Petty, unfounded judgements & misquotes to management readily offered
1 August 2019
Thank you for your comments. We are sorry you feel this way. We understand that, prior to you leaving, all concerns have been discussed in full and in accordance with appropriate processes and policies.
We wish you all the best. Yours sincerely, People and Development Team.
What can I say about Liz Earle? I have been in the beauty industry for over 10 years and this has been by far the most enjoyable experience so far. From day one I was treated as an equal and I really felt I was appreciated by all the management and trainers. This really is a family you are part of and they do care more. Yes you have your individual targets but that’s retail, and to be honest as long as you do your absolute best and always put the customer first you will enjoy your time. The training on the isle of weight is fabulous! It’s intense but amazing and the goody’s you receive are so generous! All the trainers do a fantastic job and really put the hard work in so you feel confident on the shop floor. There are some training days throughout the year which is nice to see some familiar faces and just have fun. I will genuinely miss Liz Earle and everyone I worked with, and of course It’s fantastic products! I hope to return to the company in the very near future!
Pros
Monthly goody box, generous discount & pay
Cons
Long hours, family life can be difficult.
1 August 2019
Thank you for your kind comments and taking the time to leave a review!
We hope to see you soon.

Pros:-
Lovely products (albeit they have discontinued customer favourites and new launches of gel mask/cleanse and polish body aren't great)

Fabulous training on the Isle of Wight

Staff discount

That's where it ends...

Cons are many, starting with the low pay and no commission. No incentives and allocation although a lovely idea, is typically products you don't want or need, or discontinued products palmed off to us.

Uniform is old fashioned and does not suit all shapes and sizes, ages us all about ten years. When the c+p promotional t-shirts were brought on the teams were overjoyed for a change, however short lived it was.

Also, a company that employ largely female staff do not supply a maternity uniform.

Targets are unrealistic in regards to KPIs.

Job titles and pay increases just magically plucked out of thin air instead of being advertised and all members of the team who are qualified the opportunity to apply.

Overall, Liz Earle as a company need to get with the times and follow suit with just about every other premium brand out there. Commission and incentives, better pay for staff to feel motivated.

IPads need to be added to the counters to record figures and targets instead of constant paperwork.

There is literally nothing to motivate staff.
Pros
Discount, beautiful training
Cons
Pay, job benefits.
5 April 2019
Thank you for review. We are really sorry to hear you feel this way!
Please do reach out to your HR Business Partner to discuss your feedback and they will able to share more about the initiatives that are taking place behind the scenes to address some of the areas you've flagged up in your feedback such as uniforms and access to Ipads to mention a few. They will also be able to share more information around strict policies and process around pay and benefits to alleviate any concern you might have.

You will be pleased to know we have a number of employee engagement work streams taking place currently, where feedback is being gathered and worked upon and there is a commitment from the business to carry on working together with our people on route to continous improvements.

Yours Sincerely, People and Development team
My time at Liz Earle allowed me to experience managing a beauty counter while still being a part time team member as there was no counter manager during my time there. This allowed me to have control of counter events surrounding new product launches, visual merchandising, counter organisation and train my agency team. Taking control of paperwork analysing daily and weekly sales targets, attending conferences and going to national training allowed me to learn while being thrown in the deep end. I had the opportunity to be trained in skincare and fragrance while at Liz Earle as well as make-up and haircare.
28 January 2019
Thank you for your feedback. It's great to see that you've really embraced the variety of the role and taken full accountability for running the counter. That's the great thing about all of our retail roles, our team members really will be able to make a difference, regardless of whether they are full time or part time, customer advisor or counter manager. Many thanks for your review and best of luck for pasture new! P&D Team
There is absolutely no reward for those who achieve good results and success within an account management or customer advisor role. There is no commission or bonus structure and profit share has not been paid in recent years. It seems it doesn’t matter how hard you work or what you achieve, how positive your attitude is you might as well do the absolute bare minimum as you will get paid the same. Very discouraging and frustrating as I have found the basic pay does not compensate for this, compared to the same role within similar companies. Also, many product lines have been discontinued in the past year making the range smaller. This means you can’t always offer the product a customer needs. Basics such as body scrub, lipstick and powder blush have gone with no replacement.
Pros
Enjoyable training.
Cons
No reward for success.
28 January 2019
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you feel this way.

As a part of continous improvements our rewards are currently under review including the profit share scheme.

Additionally our recruitment team continuosly also review salaries in line with market data feeding back to the business and we are pleased to say we are currently largely on par with our competitors on base rates.

There are also a number of more regionally/ locally based incentives that our managers can draw on to ensure we have some additional perks to incentify our teams. We recognise that different team members are incentified different ways and aim to ensure that the perks of the job have something for all.

Commission is unfortunately not something we are able to offer currently and with the focus on being on customer experience, it's not seen to be the right fit for our model.

As with any commercial business, the business needs to retain it's agility. This does mean product lines are regularly reviewed and occasionally commercial decions to discontinue will be made.

Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in the future. Peole and Development Team.
I worked for Liz Earle for two years I loved it...Good goody bag at the end of month, excellent training and trainers...only left as I needed a change..The only fault was the fact the boots counters are situated right next to a benefit counter where loud music was pumping out of their speakers right next to the consoltation area on your counter. Found it impossible to do a quite facial in this environment. Also had no till point so made it easier for customers to walk off with products. Apart from that loved the company.
Pros
Good pay good training good benefits
Cons
long shop hours
8 November 2018
Thank you so much for leaving us a review. Thank you also for all your hard work and all the best with pastures new! Best Wishes, People and Development team
The worst company I have ever worked for. I left after 6 months and was forced to pay £125 training fee to leave. I’m a student and this left me unable to pay bills! This wasn’t made clear in my resignation acceptance letter either. I wasn’t made aware of this until I received my last pay! I took time out of college to even attend this compulsory training which impacted my work and my grades! Awful management that hardly ever worked weekends (brands such as clinique require counter managers to book weekends off as a holiday even if they have worked their hours in the week) I was working alone 99% of the time, had unreasonable targets, very high kpis, expected to “meet and greet” (traffic stop) for 50% of sales (completely unreasonable, doesn’t work) and do demonstrations and book in customers for appointments. I hated working for this company and wish that I didn’t leave my previous job as I had a much more positive experience.
Have some good benefits (free monthly products, generous discount) but that’s it. I would avoid at all costs if I were you!
Pros
Good discount, free products
Cons
Massive training fee if you leave within a year, poor management, unreasonable targets
8 November 2018
Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear you feel this way.

To provide further context around your feedback, we would like to clarify that our recruitment process is geared to make sure we manage candidate expectations about working environment, KPIs, lone working (pending counter size) and our week long retail induction in the Isle of Wight. This is discussed during the course of the three stage interview process.

We make a considerable investment on our people from day one by inviting each retail candidate to experience our brand home in the Isle of Wight, fully expenses paid for including full pay for the week. Our contract has a section about training costs and each new starter will sign a contract before starting, which confirms understanding of these terms of business.

In real terms, we only claim a small proportion of the actual cost of training provision simply to be able to ensure we can carry on investing on our people from day one. This is standard practice across many organisations to ensure there is two-way commitment.

We hope you find this feedback satisfactory and thank your for your time with us. All the best for the future.

Yours Sincerely, People and Development Team
Liz earle is a horrible company to work for i Would not recommend this company to anyone Worst company I have ever worked for, with many years experience within retail and beauty,

They promise you Fantastic training to Isle of Wight but i never got to attend that even though worked for the company for 5 months with no training whats so ever, worked on my own account. Counter manager never gets the training but beauty advisor does who only works one day ridiculous!!

Pressure is horrendous with unrealistic sales target.

Area Manager - worst experience of the brand. Never there authorises holidays and then denys she ever did !! So many people leaving over this individual. Only handful of employees remain. So many jobs advertised online, STAY AWAY!

Such a shame as some lovely products. Horrible staff in management
Pros
Salary
28 January 2019
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you feel this way. People and Development Team.
absolutely shockingly poor treatment by area managers. no support what so ever but constantly being accused of not doing your job properly. this particular area manager promised all the support and help in the world but when it came down to the crunch she was no where to be found. instead threats of contract being terminated. head office also are very clueless and have no idea what happens on the shop floor.
Pros
lovely all be it deceiving week on the isle of weight, good allocation and staff discount
Cons
Area Manager
11 September 2018
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to find out you did not enjoy your time with us.

Along with immediate line management we have a wide ranging field support network available to support our retail teams on counter. This is to ensure our teams feel fully equipped and supported on their day to day. Regular communication, one to ones and formal reviews are put in place to support continuos development whilst placing ownership on individual team members to drive their own success on counter.

We wish you best of luck for future and thank you for your time. Best Wishes, People and Development
Lovely company to work for. Great product allowance and discount. Training is second to none and they really care more. Management are very supportive and what you put into the job you get out of it.
Pros
Salary, products, training, development opportunities
Cons
Long hours and weekends
9 February 2018
Thank you for your review and sharing your thoughts. We are glad to hear you have had a successful start to your career at Liz Earle! Kind Regards, People and Development Department.
very personal company, great at looking after staff. could do with more man power where taken over by boots. eg, more trainers, area managers and recruiters.
Pros
managment
Cons
salary
As a temporary member of staff I have enjoyed my time with the company and would love to work full time on a permanent basis. I work Monday to Friday on the production lines meeting targets. Plus there is cake Fridays!
9 February 2018
Thank you for the review. We are really pleased to know you are enjoying your time with us. Keep up the good work and hopefully permanent opportunities will be available in the future. Kind Regards, People and Development Department
The training is lovely and you learn so much about the products. Products are amazing. You get product sent to you every month.

On the other hand, Area manager and HR are useless. No help at all, lack of communication and poor management and unrealistic targets
Pros
Amazing Products
Cons
Poor Management and HR Team, Unrealistic Target
23 October 2017
Thank you for your review.

It is very important to us to have well functioning teams in place that enjoy working for us and feel supported by management as well as the wider stakeholders, hence we would welcome a further conversation to address your concerns. Please contact pwilliams@lizearle.com should you wish to discuss this further. Many thanks for your time and feedback, Kind Regards, People and Development Team
I immediately fell in love with the company when I walked into The Greenhouse 5 years ago and saw the beautiful reception area. Since then I experienced an inspirational weeks worth of training to spend time in all areas of the business and to get to know the products and how the company works. I began my career in store but have progressed to the Customer Centre as part of the management team. The business supported me through this by putting me through a management training day. Communication is great within the company and we have quarterly business updates presented by Executive Team. We have a fortnightly internal newsletter shared on a Friday.

My favourite part of the job is working everyday with a friendly and passionate team. The head office serves delicious home cooked food at the in-house bistro, it has gorgeous grounds and woodland area. Throughout the year the business organise staff social events such as a Summer BBQ and Christmas Party. Staff members also organise after work drinks which is great to socialise as a team.
Pros
Huge monthly goody bag, Cake Friday, incredible product discount, IOW Festival and Bestival ticket prize draws
22 May 2017
Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it! Your passion for the brand and positive attitude really shine through and it is thanks to people like yourself that this beautiful brand keeps on growing. Thank you for your hard work! Team People and Development.
I worked for liz Earle for 6 months the products are nice the makeup is average - the pressure to hit target is high but like so many companies the rewards are an email bulletin which bigs up those who have hit target and de motivates those who haven't it's a weekly monthly merry go round you have to get off as the high achievers receive the same pay as those sitting on their hands. The training is lovely then that's where it stops.
Pros
Freebies and training
Cons
Constant pressure no commision
22 May 2017
Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear regarding your concerns. As a commercial business in a highly competitive retail environment, our Customer Advisors and Counters Managers work to tried and tested targets having full ownership and accountability for their counters. This is largely seen as a positive by our teams as one can make a real impact through proactive approach to growing our brand. The business supports and enables this through extensive training and development of staff. We have multiple communication channels from weekly team catch ups to business wide internal magazines that offer an opportunity to celebrate success alongside the weekly bulletin referenced. Additionally we do run incentives on a regular basis. As a brand, as you mentioned, we do not work on commission basis, however, we do operate an annual profit share scheme that is to encourage One Team mentality and to ensure bonuses are made available based on overall company and individual performance. We are sorry to see that there is a discrepancy in what we believe in as an organisation and your personal experience and would like to offer you to opportunity to discuss this further should you wish to do so (email to: retailrecruitment@lizearle.com). Kind Regards, People and Development Team