Liz Earle Employee Reviews

Horrible company to work for !!!!
Counter manager (Former Employee) –  Sheffield25 September 2018
Liz earle is a horrible company to work for i Would not recommend this company to anyone Worst company I have ever worked for, with many years experience within retail and beauty,

They promise you Fantastic training to Isle of Wight but i never got to attend that even though worked for the company for 5 months with no training whats so ever, worked on my own account. Counter manager never gets the training but beauty advisor does who only works one day ridiculous!!

Pressure is horrendous with unrealistic sales target.

Area Manager - worst experience of the brand. Never there authorises holidays and then denys she ever did !! So many people leaving over this individual. Only handful of employees remain. So many jobs advertised online, STAY AWAY!

Such a shame as some lovely products. Horrible staff in management
Pros
Salary
28 January 2019

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you feel this way. People and Development Team.

Avoid at all costs!
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Boots29 September 2018
The worst company I have ever worked for. I left after 6 months and was forced to pay £125 training fee to leave. I’m a student and this left me unable to pay bills! This wasn’t made clear in my resignation acceptance letter either. I wasn’t made aware of this until I received my last pay! I took time out of college to even attend this compulsory training which impacted my work and my grades! Awful management that hardly ever worked weekends (brands such as clinique require counter managers to book weekends off as a holiday even if they have worked their hours in the week) I was working alone 99% of the time, had unreasonable targets, very high kpis, expected to “meet and greet” (traffic stop) for 50% of sales (completely unreasonable, doesn’t work) and do demonstrations and book in customers for appointments. I hated working for this company and wish that I didn’t leave my previous job as I had a much more positive experience.
Have some good benefits (free monthly products, generous discount) but that’s it. I would avoid at all costs if I were you!
Pros
Good discount, free products
Cons
Massive training fee if you leave within a year, poor management, unreasonable targets
8 November 2018

Thank you for your review and we are sorry to hear you feel this way.

To provide further context around your feedback, we would like to clarify that our recruitment process is geared to make sure we manage candidate expectations about working environment, KPIs, lone working (pending counter size) and our week long retail induction in the Isle of Wight. This is discussed during the course of the three stage interview process.

We make a considerable investment on our people from day one by inviting each retail candidate to experience our brand home in the Isle of Wight, fully expenses paid for including full pay for the week. Our contract has a section about training costs and each new starter will sign a contract before starting, which confirms understanding of these terms of business.

In real terms, we only claim a small proportion of the actual cost of training provision simply to be able to ensure we can carry on investing on our people from day one. This is standard practice across many organisations to ensure there is two-way commitment.

We hope you find this feedback satisfactory and thank your for your time with us. All the best for the future.
Yours Sincerely, People and Development Team

Poor incentive and no reward for success
Customer Advisor - Part Time (Current Employee) –  Midlands27 November 2018
There is absolutely no reward for those who achieve good results and success within an account management or customer advisor role. There is no commission or bonus structure and profit share has not been paid in recent years. It seems it doesn’t matter how hard you work or what you achieve, how positive your attitude is you might as well do the absolute bare minimum as you will get paid the same. Very discouraging and frustrating as I have found the basic pay does not compensate for this, compared to the same role within similar companies. Also, many product lines have been discontinued in the past year making the range smaller. This means you can’t always offer the product a customer needs. Basics such as body scrub, lipstick and powder blush have gone with no replacement.
Pros
Enjoyable training.
Cons
No reward for success.
28 January 2019

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry to hear you feel this way.

As a part of continous improvements our rewards are currently under review including the profit share scheme.
Additionally our recruitment team continuosly also review salaries in line with market data feeding back to the business and we are pleased to say we are currently largely on par with our competitors on base rates.

There are also a number of more regionally/ locally based incentives that our managers can draw on to ensure we have some additional perks to incentify our teams. We recognise that different team members are incentified different ways and aim to ensure that the perks of the job have something for all.

Commission is unfortunately not something we are able to offer currently and with the focus on being on customer experience, it's not seen to be the right fit for our model.

As with any commercial business, the business needs to retain it's agility. This does mean product lines are regularly reviewed and occasionally commercial decions to discontinue will be made.

Thank you again for your feedback and we wish you the best of luck in the future. Peole and Development Team.

Loved working there
counter manager (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London4 November 2018
I worked for Liz Earle for two years I loved it...Good goody bag at the end of month, excellent training and trainers...only left as I needed a change..The only fault was the fact the boots counters are situated right next to a benefit counter where loud music was pumping out of their speakers right next to the consoltation area on your counter. Found it impossible to do a quite facial in this environment. Also had no till point so made it easier for customers to walk off with products. Apart from that loved the company.
Pros
Good pay good training good benefits
Cons
long shop hours
8 November 2018

Thank you so much for leaving us a review. Thank you also for all your hard work and all the best with pastures new! Best Wishes, People and Development team

my experience
Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  Reading, Berkshire30 November 2018
My time at Liz Earle allowed me to experience managing a beauty counter while still being a part time team member as there was no counter manager during my time there. This allowed me to have control of counter events surrounding new product launches, visual merchandising, counter organisation and train my agency team. Taking control of paperwork analysing daily and weekly sales targets, attending conferences and going to national training allowed me to learn while being thrown in the deep end. I had the opportunity to be trained in skincare and fragrance while at Liz Earle as well as make-up and haircare.
28 January 2019

Thank you for your feedback. It's great to see that you've really embraced the variety of the role and taken full accountability for running the counter. That's the great thing about all of our retail roles, our team members really will be able to make a difference, regardless of whether they are full time or part time, customer advisor or counter manager. Many thanks for your review and best of luck for pasture new! P&D Team

Not what they sell you
Account Manager (Former Employee) –  West Midlands20 August 2018
absolutely shockingly poor treatment by area managers. no support what so ever but constantly being accused of not doing your job properly. this particular area manager promised all the support and help in the world but when it came down to the crunch she was no where to be found. instead threats of contract being terminated. head office also are very clueless and have no idea what happens on the shop floor.
Pros
lovely all be it deceiving week on the isle of weight, good allocation and staff discount
Cons
Area Manager
11 September 2018

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to find out you did not enjoy your time with us.

Along with immediate line management we have a wide ranging field support network available to support our retail teams on counter. This is to ensure our teams feel fully equipped and supported on their day to day. Regular communication, one to ones and formal reviews are put in place to support continuos development whilst placing ownership on individual team members to drive their own success on counter.

We wish you best of luck for future and thank you for your time. Best Wishes, People and Development

Lovely company to work for
Counter Manager (Current Employee) –  Yorkshire11 January 2018
Lovely company to work for. Great product allowance and discount. Training is second to none and they really care more. Management are very supportive and what you put into the job you get out of it.
Pros
Salary, products, training, development opportunities
Cons
Long hours and weekends
9 February 2018

Thank you for your review and sharing your thoughts. We are glad to hear you have had a successful start to your career at Liz Earle! Kind Regards, People and Development Department.

Avoid working for this unprofessional company
Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands12 July 2016
Since my time of working for Liz Earle hardly anybody stays longer than 6 months. If you look on the Liz Earle website under careers you will see the laughable amount of vacancies available, but only a really naive person should apply!
There is no support, not even an employee handbook. If you speak to someone privately with a grievance then it circulates round the whole company. Such an unprofessional, unorganised company that is growing too quickly to manage and becoming too greedy with high sales & forecasted expectations.
Numerous complaints made about the area manager over us, MANY people leaving because of her yet she is still there. Such a negative, demotivating, aggressive individual that makes you fear for your jobs security.
You will hardly work on the counter you applied for as when people just leave the area manager puts pressure on you & expects you to cover that counter aswell as your own until she is able to find somebody daft enough to work for her.
100 new counters opened in the past year, 100 new opening next year and launching in the US.......oh my, I just hope they can cope and get their act together as so far not so good
Pros
Product allocation, salary
Cons
Management, no support yet high expectations
27 March 2017

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear about your experience. As a fastest growing premium beauty brand in the UK we have indeed over the past several years opened number of new counters, largely successfully. We have taken feedback on board from our new hires and existing staff about any development areas and have an agenda of continuous on-going training, including additional Counter Manager training, that has been rolled out to ensure our teams are fully equipped on counter. We are also pleased to advise that Employee Handbook has been drafted and will be operational in the coming months. Any grievances are strictly handled according to our HR policies and any feedback is logged and investigated. Thank you for your input and best of luck!

Avoid!
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Midlands7 August 2016
Would not recommend this brand to my worst enemy. Worst company I have ever worked for, with many years experience within retail and beauty,

Fantastic training for first induction week on the Isle of Wight and that is about all that is great.

Pressure is horrendous with unrealistic sales targets. Counter is issued with an iPhone that never stops ringing.

Area Manager - worst experience of the brand. CEO and Regional ignore complaints. So many people leaving over this individual. When will they listen! 15+ Counters launched over the last year, must be only 5% of employees remain. So many jobs advertised online, STAY AWAY!

Such a shame as some lovely products.
Pros
Induction training, salary and benefits
27 March 2017

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way and hope that you had the opportunity to discuss your concerns at your exit interview. As a growing business our attrition is in line with industry standards and as a business with 900 staff nationwide the volume of vacancies we advertise is as expected. We are sorry to hear that you felt your targets were unrealistic. As a fastest growing premium beauty brand in the UK we have teams nationally that work well within the remit of tried and tested targets. We appreciate, no one day is of course the same and some days are more challenging than others. Our recruitment focuses on activity lead approach that ensures all new hires are well informed regarding our expectations on counter including targets and activity to drive these. We wish you best of luck on your career and thank you for your input. Many thanks, People and Development Team

Avoid this company
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  UK19 July 2015
Worked for Liz Earle as counter manager for 2 years, and sadly the company has changed so much in that time, and not in a good way.

A lot of pressure piled on us every day, and no encouragement or support from senior management. Expected to deliver huge sales, and lots of traffic stopping.

Company expect miracles and don't motivate their staff at all.

A lot of people company wide are not happy working for them and a lot of people leaving the company.

Sadly they no longer value their staff and have lost their morals and core values that they used to have.

Such a shame because the products are good but I would really recommend you avoid working for this company.
Cons
Poor salary, too much pressure, heavy targets
Top Employer on IOW
Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Ryde, Isle of Wight10 May 2017
I immediately fell in love with the company when I walked into The Greenhouse 5 years ago and saw the beautiful reception area. Since then I experienced an inspirational weeks worth of training to spend time in all areas of the business and to get to know the products and how the company works. I began my career in store but have progressed to the Customer Centre as part of the management team. The business supported me through this by putting me through a management training day. Communication is great within the company and we have quarterly business updates presented by Executive Team. We have a fortnightly internal newsletter shared on a Friday.

My favourite part of the job is working everyday with a friendly and passionate team. The head office serves delicious home cooked food at the in-house bistro, it has gorgeous grounds and woodland area. Throughout the year the business organise staff social events such as a Summer BBQ and Christmas Party. Staff members also organise after work drinks which is great to socialise as a team.
Pros
Huge monthly goody bag, Cake Friday, incredible product discount, IOW Festival and Bestival ticket prize draws
22 May 2017

Thank you for your review, we really appreciate it! Your passion for the brand and positive attitude really shine through and it is thanks to people like yourself that this beautiful brand keeps on growing. Thank you for your hard work! Team People and Development.

Great work place, nice atmosphere
Skin care and makeup consultant (Former Employee) –  Manchester, ENG27 January 2015
Overall, I enjoyed my time there and was disappointed that no permanent work was available as I would have loved to have stayed on. However, I worked every day including weekends and did long hours which was very hard but the salary was worth it. I would have liked to be on a busier counter as sometimes it was very quiet. The most enjoyable part was definitely the customers, I loved feeling like I had been able to help someone and found it nice to be able to talk to so many different people.
12 April 2017

Thank you for your feedback. We are pleased to hear that you had a great experience working for us. Please pop back into our website on a regular basis to review our live vacancies. Kind Regards, People and Development Team

they care more
Business manager (Former Employee) –  London3 January 2018
very personal company, great at looking after staff. could do with more man power where taken over by boots. eg, more trainers, area managers and recruiters.
Pros
managment
Cons
salary
great philosophy to the brand
Assistant Manager (Current Employee) –  Earle, ENG19 August 2015
Liz Earle was a very enjoyable compagny to work for with very good ethics but due to the changes in management some of those key parts of the philosophy seemed to be lost.
Pros
job role salary
Cons
lack of support

Thank you for your review. Kind Regards, People and Development Team

Poor Management! Avoid!
Counter Manager (Former Employee) –  Coventry10 August 2016
Liz Earle employ a large amount of counter manager's who are more experienced than area managers. They offer no progression and do not care about staff. Feedback not listened to, and HR must be taking back handers from area managers to cover up complaints & unpfrossional practice.
Worst area manager I've ever had the misfortune of working for.
Poor employee retention rate. HUGE pressure!
Avoid!
Pros
Isle of Wight training.
Cons
Area managers/management
4 April 2017

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear that you feel this way and hope that you have had the opportunity to discuss your concerns at your exit interview. Any feedback provided in professional manner is taken on board and looked into. As a business we offer a clear route and career map for progression and have several of our experienced Counter Managers seconded into Area Manager roles to cover for example maternity leaves. This along with extensive training that is being rolled out to Managers across the business enables us to develop talent internally. Our attrition across the business reflects industry standards, however, our aim always as a business is to ensure that through investment and continuous support of our staff we ensure our staff feel looked after and supported leading into long term careers with us. We thank you for your feedback and wish you the best of luck for future. Best Wishes, People and Development Team

Just Amazing!
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bath, Somerset8 March 2017
I have worked in beauty for over 10 years and all I can say about Liz Earle is WOW WOW WOW! The best company I've ever worked for.
* caring and considerate to your personal situation
*grest training and further support
*great communication
* achievable targets
*great benefit scheme
* lovely management
*lall round excellent company!
27 March 2017

Thank you so much for your positive comments and feedback! We are absolutely delighted to hear about your experience and it is absolute fantastic that you have been kind enough to share it here online! We wish you many happy years with us and look forward to all the great things you will achieve as a part of our growing team!

Jnae vanegas
sales assistant (Former Employee) –  Hammersmth or keng H ST ,Nothing Hill gate29 July 2015
I get up to get to work, it is a sunny day.
I got 10 minuts earlier .I'm going to see if there is anything that may be done before we start ,I pull forward the products in the shelfs ,,,I tidy up the mess ,shop is open ,I greed with all customers
I do learn every day new thing from all king of customers needs and options in products and I give them tips to try the company own brands.I learn that it really make me feel happy ,,helping others.
I do my best to manage my time to fulfill my duties and make easy for everyone to feel good,I help every co-worker when I find them busy and whenever they are not to sure on products.
The hardest part of our job is at lunch time because gets to busy...so we are well prepared to make easy.
The most enjoyable part of the job is the time to go home you know that it was a great day put I learn few thing that I will put in to practice next day and will be much better.
Pros
It is good to know that life it is my school, I am ready for anything
Cons
feeling pain for the things that I can not do.

Thank you for your review. Kind Regards, People and Development Department

Company have changed - not in a good way!
Ex Customer Advisor (Former Employee) –  UK27 July 2015
When I joined this company over a year ago, they seemed laid back and focussed on giving excellent customer care and service. Now all they are bothered about it how many cleansers you can sell in an hour.

I was told it was a non traffic stopping company and now they have put this in place and sugar coat it by calling it "meet and greet". We are now told to push sales and its all about numbers. You are not valued as an employee and there is no support or rewards for your hard work!

The pay is lower than any beauty counter and there is no commission/incentives for pushing sales and hitting targets. One of their values is "We care more" when in fact they care less than any company I've ever worked for. They have become greedy.. Avoid this company!!
12 April 2017

Thank you for your review. We are sorry to hear you felt this way. Our Precious Recipe We Care More, We Never Settle and We Are One Team continues to be the driving force behind the success of our brand. This is translated into every day actions in our interaction with our customers and colleagues. As for any business within the retail landscape commerciality is an essential ingredient for all of our retail staff and the teams are set achievable targets and provided excellent training to enable them to work within the remit of their responsibilities. Our remuneration is regularly benchmarked to ensure we are offering competitive packages to our employees. Thank you for your input and all the best.

excellent
Account Manager- Liz Earle (Current Employee) –  Leeds1 August 2016
excellent company to work for, fantastic brand, great perks, superb management support and friendly teams. this is the best skincare brand i have worked for, pay is great too.
Pros
free goodies
Cons
paperwork overload
4 April 2017

Thank you for your review. Great to see some positive feedback coming through. Keep up the good work and please do flag up if you have any ideas around reducing the amount of paperwork. As a part of our drive for continuous development, we welcome any feedback that will drive process efficiencies. Many Thanks, Team People and Development

Enjoyed working there more than I thought I would.
fulfilment assistant (Former Employee) –  Cowes5 January 2017
Good working shifts and no weekends only if you wanted overtime but not compulsory.
I learn't how to work to a time scale and accurately achieve targets.
The managenent team were all very nice and treated you as an individual, everyone else was nice and all seamed to work well together.
The work was repetivive as that was the nature of the job so you do get a bit stiff to start with but you stand on shock absorbing matts.
The most enjoyable part of the job was the stress free happy environment and working for an Island Company.
Pros
Free products and a generous discount
Cons
None that I can think of.
27 March 2017

Thank you for your glowing comments. We are so pleased to hear about your positive experience! We are also pleased to hear that we were able to offer you an opportunity to develop your skills in terms of working to targets and timescales, all experiences that will enable you to develop yourself professionally.
Please keep an eye out for opportunities we advertise should something additional pop up that would be suitable.
Kind Regards, People and Development Team

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Liz Earle. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9