Lincolnshire Co-operative

Lincolnshire Co-operative Employee Reviews

United Kingdom144 reviews
Featured review
Lincolnshire Co-operative selected this as a representative review
Productive and enjoyable
Excellent place to work if you're looking to combine customer service with manual labour. Stocking shelves/replenishment, price adjustments, serving on tills and answering customer queries describes a typical days work at co-op. I worked part-time while studying. My manager and the management team were a lovely bunch, my colleagues were of the older generation but were lovely to work alongside.

The hardest part of the job, being fit enough to handle heavy loads and being constantly on your feet/on- off tills. Fitting in all the tasks within a days work. Dealing with disgruntled customers who forget their ID! (Not that difficult at all.)
Terrible work environment
I worked for the co op for just under a year and ended up having to quit because the environment was so bad to work in. Managers/ team leaders clearly had favourites and I was not one of them, so was given all the jobs they did not want to do and often left on check-outs for my whole 8 hour shifts. I was given either 5:30am starts or 11pm finishes and never asked whether this is something I was actually okay with and just expected to work these hours that no one wanted to do. My contract was 25 hours but I was often working 40+ hours a week without being asked- it would just be on the rota, and pressured into working overtime resulting in one month where I had no weekends off, and one occasion where I worked 8 days in a row. The staff had cliques, and as the only new person hired for a while I was quickly left out and gossiped about. I had one customer that would shout abuse at me for no reason whenever they came in, and when I raised this with management nothing was done and I was told to just continue serving them.I was also nearly sacked for absences despite providing a hospital letter and a doctors note for a medical condition that I have that caused me to have some days off work. Horrible place to work and no surprise that when I left there were only a few members of staff there that were there when i started.
Pros
Decent pay
Cons
Everything else
An experience
I was regularly expected to work double my contracted hours and when I mentioned this was told I was lying. The rota would often be changed last minute and with no notice, on a few occasions I received phone calls at 6:30 am to ask why I wasn't at work despite it being my day off.
Whilst some team leaders were exceptional, others made it clear they were willing to do no work and would often wander around leaving CSAs to complete their tasks. At least the pay was okay.
Working at the co-operative
The co-operative was a lovely place to work when I first joined. However this quickly changed, I realised that bullying occurs in the workplace. It comes down from the managers who bully their team leaders. This was happening all the time. I saw 3 people leave in the space of 4 months because of it. One of them nearly had a breakdown Its a horrible place to work now. And the bullying has moved on to someone new. I heard this is common among all of the food stores. The recent Coronavirus is dangerous as we all know, the co op took a long time to increase the protection of their colleagues
A Co-operative which fails to recognise hardworking colleagues
This organisation exposes its real intentions once your face no longer fits in the clique of management or the ‘big boys club’! Its ‘Purpose’ is to divide, devalue and break up hard working colleagues, ideas are rarely listened to and ‘leadership’ is poor. Bullying and maltreatment take place to remove experienced and knowledgeable colleagues, through constant restructures! Senior managers overlook front line colleagues, failing to remember they are also 'members' and hold important views and values.
Bulling and Harrassment the norm, leadership non existent
Company portray health and well being of team members. This is all a front. They do not value loyalty and hard work. They will actively construct to remove people whose face does not fit even if they are excellent in their role. They will use bullinging, harrassment and encourage others to bring grievances against the unwanted. I have a actually heard top management say 'get rid of them'.
People and Performance are not listening to the ground level team and are being advised by lying and manipulating leadership management who are using others below them as scapegoats.

AVOID this negative company who are NOT in any way Together
Ok for a job not a career
The wages dont reflect the level of responsibility between a customer service assistant and a team leader who is responsible for everything essentially running the store during their shift for 40p more per hour.
Typical day, ordering., cashing up, stock taking, merchandising, rotas, payroll, customer service, store standard
Worked for company for 17 years, new higher management took over 4 years ago and the company became more stressful, if your face doesn't fit anymore then watch your back
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Hierarchy
Gernerally a good company to forge a career with
On the whole the Lincolnshire co op is a good company to work for. There are many benefits available from child care vouchers, employee association, staff points/dividend, pensions schemes etc.
As with any job all managers and stores are slightly different so depending where you work and whom you work with you are likely to get different atmospheres and management styles.

I worked my way up to a manager role and did enjoy the fast paced environment. However in the few years running up to my decision to leave many changes took place within the company and like most company's in todays economic climate everything got tighter. Cut backs, skeleton staff, unrealistic KPI's etc made for a stressful work environment towards the end. An excellent company for those wanting to progress to a managerial role in retail-take advantage of the companies many in house and nationally recognised qualifications and grow your knowledge and CV!

Not so good and managing a work life balance and wouldn't recommend for those with young families (in a management role).

Supervisors/team leaders theres very little pay difference from being just a check out girl compared with the responsibility you take on.

Customer service assistant level if you can get decent weekly contracted hours its a cracking little job.
Avoid if you want to succeed
No chance of career progression. Managers have favourites. Poor management overall. Invisible area manager. Bullying and manipulation by colleagues which is allowed to continue. The public image of the company is the not the same as the reality of working for them. Terrible pay.
Pros
Employees Association
Cons
Everything else
atrocious management
No progression for anyone working a lower rung job,
also low pay and very high expectations for the poor pay, we had a collegue leave and instead of replacement we have had to struggle no end due to the area mangers inability/unwillingness to help. After 10+ years service i'm leaving due to such poor staffing management, people and performance don't seemed to fussed either, sinking ship stay away!
Bad!
I honestly would’t advise my worst enemy to work there. The whole company is full of bullies and if your face doesn't fit then they just get worse until you leave. I worked there for 8 years and iv seen it happen to so many people including myself. Management are lazy and gossip about you and other staff. You end with the company feeling so alone because not one person cares about your well being.
Procuctive and fun
Good work ethics.
Great colleagues.

Health Champions are underpaid for what they have to learn.

Always busy so little time for study in the work place.
very good working environment
the management are very friendly along with the rest of the staff, the labor is of low physical demand, with a good pay return. shifts were always a good length, never too long nor too short
Would not recommend
All they want to do is mold you into their version of a travel consultant which is to lack in personality and have no banter with customers, very unprofessional management giving personal attacks, one to ones which consisted of two managers present not one and felt very much like intimidation. Very minor things being blown out of proportion and used against me in these 'meetings' . Not a stable place to work. Aviod. Definitely not the family atmosphere the Co-op portray.
productive and eye opening
a good place to work,
good management,

brilliant work ethics,

diverse and empathetic,

excellent training schemes,

need to be quite strong-minded to work in the funeral business due to its nature,

overall a decent place to work
Fast paced
Lovely as long as you can be flexible with regards to hours. You learn to know the local customers and build up a good working relationship with both customers and collegues.
Avoid at aall costs.
16 hour contract was ignored and they doubled my working hours on my 2nd week. Then once hours were brought back down I never once did 16 hrs. Always more. Never any regular shift patterns. Not enough people trained on bakery Not enough space for stock. Not enough staff. Left on checkouts for 6 hours because their favourite stack shelves. Breaks usually just before your shift ends. Some good team leaders who work alot of overtime unpaid!!! The co op would fall apart without them. Lincolnshire co op must know this happens but do not care. Manipulate people into more and more overtime. Some team leaders are down right nasty and look down on you. You are their to serve and you must "know your place". Seriously do not work here if you have any sort of life that involves responsibilities as you will never know when you are working for how many hours.
Pros
Non
Cons
Cold, low paid, no planning
Poor pay , managment think everyones replaceable, worst training i've seen
I have worked in around 50 different pharmacys and lincolnshire co-op has been one of the worst, trainging is poor for staff, you're told lies about profit which when simply worked out can be proven to be incorrect/blatent lies.

The support just isnt their for pharmacy staff, if youre short staffed due to a long term illness of another team member don't expect cover, you will be told " sorry nothing we can do about that" from your supporting area manager.

i will be leaving this company ASAP as the atmosphere is toxic, when at management meetings you will be told all pharmacy staff are unskilled workers and easily replaceable (if only it was true)

when very experienced members of staff hand in their notice management will make zero attempt to try to get them to stay.

once i leave this company i won't look back
good and safe and lovely place to work
when you start from 5:30 in the morning you have to turn on the fuel pumps for 6am, and then you have you first deliveries to do while looking after the people who come in for the fuel aswell.
Great place
They look after you and send you for proper training, always ways of climbing the ladder if you want. Our store was like a second family every body helped each other, great team work so sad our closed down
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lincolnshire Co-operative. Our community is ready to answer.
2.8