Lifeways Group Employee Reviews

Cut throat, dog eat dog attitude
project manager (Former Employee) –  Nottinghamshire11 December 2018
The culture within the Nottinghamshire branch of this organisation is like nothing I have experienced before.
Like most care settings it is a high pressure environment but provides little support for its employees. It is dangerously under staffed and provides extremely poor quality support to vulnerable adults, "we do the bare minimum" should be their moto, profit comes before everything!
There is a dog eat dog mentality. Employers routinely work 70-80hrs per week, they work in fear of making a mistake as the reprisals are severe, there are no learning curves in this organisation only severe and often unjust disciplinary action.
The culture within the management team is the most shocking thing I have witnessed in a professional environment. There is an open and fully accepted bullying culture, severe breaches in confidentiality and sweeping issues under the carpet wherever possible. Hence an extremely high turn over of managerial staff.
The hardest part of the job is the lack of respect for its employees at all levels and the expectation to work long hrs without a break.
The most enjoyable part is the very special people they support.
I beg that you consider this review before applying for a position within this organisation particularly at a managerial level.
Pros
fair holiday entitlement for managers
Cons
Bullying
True reflection
Manager (Current Employee) –  Greater London7 December 2018
I have thought about whether to post this review but I feel everyone who applies should know. Funding authorities should also take the time to read these reviews before placing vulnerable adults to be supported by this company. Majority of support workers are great and provide quality support. Again team leaders and service manager's in my area are good even the area manager is good HOWEVER that is where it stops. Higher management do not care about the clients in any way. It's it just about the profit. Staff are not trained properly but are expected to know everything and perform their jobs above average. Staff Team leaders and service manager's are over stretched and when one leaves they are never replaced. The work load is just piled on someone else. There is no consideration for health and being over stressed but when there is an issue everyone reacts and it's falls at the staff feet and the company ensure they take the blame. Staff are almost ALWAYS short paid overworked consistently and then have to fight to be paid even when the company I being paid to pay the staff they don't they find other ways to makes cuts to make up for it. HR is useless (not all) but for the majority never a response to things. The staff turnover is alarmingly high due to low pay rates and it seems now the only people even applying are those referred by others who are already informed how to get away with things in once they have the job. There is no support for team leaders or manager's and no one actually listens to those actually being the ones carrying out the day to day support. Staff are  more... not appreciated in anyway there are hardly progressed and the personal development is diabolical. Staff are unpaid under valued to the point where they work for money because they have bills to pay, there is no other jobs at the moment and nothing else. Because of this quality staff leave or become unbothered so quality care and support is poor. Staff are told to pretend when CQC visits but if any one paid real attention they will see the company for what it is. A money hungry organisation at the expense of vulnerable people people.
There are alot of paper work and processes for cover but they don't practise what they preach. They don't even follow there own ethos.
Pros
Clients and some staff
Cons
Everthing else
Acting Manager (Current Employee) –  Blackburn with Darwen, Lancashire5 December 2018
Absolutely avoid at all costs
Support/Key Worker (Former Employee) –  St Helens4 December 2018
Team leader has no qualification and just wanted the job for a power trip, has no idea what to do except take orders from the manager who has only just taken over which means service users are not getting put first. More interested in how each other's days have gone and to talk about staff and let's just say not praising them. I worked there a while and would rather not ave any source of income than work for people who do not appreciate you. Rubbish rate of pay for the way your expected to get treated. Oh and finally the company in a whole are receiving full pay for the sleeps but only paying the staff a percentage. Just overall DO NOT APPLY!!
Pros
None!
Cons
None!
Improving lives
Manager (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire1 December 2018
I have been here 16 years and have progressed through the company.
I have seen many changes, one constant has been the dedication of the staff team.
The people we support are given new opportunities.
Staff report that morale is good when surveys are done.
I would like to think the balance between pleasing staff and the people we support is right as over half of the staff team have been in the service for over 2 years.
Recent audits have evidenced that training is upto date and the quality of the work has been ranked excellent.
Staff morale is high on the agenda. It is important that staff can get a good work / life balance to ensure they preform to the best of their abilities.
Without the staff team the people we support would not enjoy the quality of life they do.
Very rewarding job for those who like a challenge and want to be part of something special
Pros
Being part of something special
Rewarding job
Deputy manager (Current Employee) –  Castleford30 November 2018
I’ve worked for the Castleford services for 8 years and in that time have had 2 promotions and have found the job very rewarding. The manager is very supportive and approachable and will help wherever possible. I would definitely recommend applying for this job if you want to help improve people’s lives.
Pros
Making a difference to people’s lives
Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow29 November 2018
Rsw (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire29 November 2018
Really good training
Can always get enough hours
Managmant helpful and try sort issues quickly
Staff team work well together
Overall good place to work
Pros
Staff team good, average pay
Cons
Not a good place to work
Support worker (Former Employee) –  Rushden, Northamptonshire27 November 2018
Being a former employee, when I started in 2017 the team there all got on and worked together to help each other out. Management is bad, doesn’t listen to concerns. Especially area manager who would sooner sweep things under carpet so to speak. They say bout refer a friend but it doesn’t get paid as they have all the excuses in the world for not paying it. Residents are lovely just very short staffed so residents don’t get care they pay for. High turn over in staff, to much gossiping behind your back with regards to staff, like being at school. Wages, don’t get correct pay most of the time. It is supposed to be supported living but more and more people that are care/bed bound are moving in.
Pros
Residents lovely
Cons
Poor management, concerns not taken seriously and to much gossiping between staff
Stay well away, go through a lot of these reviews and you will see why
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Bolton, Greater Manchester27 November 2018
Working with the service users can be very rewarding if you put the effort in.

I've worked at several locations for this company and at each of them the staff feel unappreciated exhausted and unsupported by team leaders and management.

Your life will be taken over by this company because they can put you on shift anytime of the day and night 7 days a week, and they are not bothered what commitments you may have at home.

You will be pestered by team leaders and management to do overtime all the time and made to feel guilty if you are unable to work the overtime, some staff working 60 and 70 hours a week just to get a decent wage.

Shifts are changed all the time at very short notice by management and if you complain you will be targeted and put on shifts other staff don't want.

Team leaders and managers have their favourites and these seem to get away with whatever shift or day they want to work.

There is a bully culture in this company which starts with management and team leaders.

The staff turnover at this company is very high.

These reviews have now been going for a long time and it seems nothing has changed within the company, does anyone from senior level not read these and want to improve the working conditions for staff which will improve the support for the service users.

As you can see from the reviews added in the last month below, management and team leaders are trying to improve the ratings on here, all I would say is read a few pages to get the real
facts on what's going on in this company and make your own judgment.

I wouldn't recommend
  more... working here there are lots of other care companies try one of them.  less
Pros
Service Users
Cons
Very long hours, Bully culture, Low pay, No appreciation, Exhausted
Great place to work, something different everyday
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire27 November 2018
I started working around 4 years ago and found the job experience to be quite rewarding. Even though there are mostly long shifts I find that it works well with my lifestyle.
Management are very supportive and approachable. Salary - everybody would love to be paid more but it is a decent pay in comparison to other places.
No plans to leave this job as I do enjoy it.
Pros
Rewarding to see how youve helped
Cons
Great opportunity to grow within the company
Team Leader Whitwood hall (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire27 November 2018
I Started my employment here at Whitwood hall in February 2016 and what an inspiration and rewarding job it has been so far each and every day been different. Helping the people we support to achieve daily living skills and to be as independent as possible delivering person centred care all round. It gives me great job satisfaction leaving my work place knowing I’ve made a difference. The support received from the management team and other support staff has and still is, amazing. I’ve been given the opportunity to be stepped up two positions in such a short period of time and can honestly say it’s an absolute pleasure to work for this company.
I would say to anyone thinking about becoming a support worker go for it the rewards of this job role are very satisfying.
Pros
Person centred support. Great management team. Flexible hours
Great opportunity of a good career
Senior Support Worker/Team Leader (Current Employee) –  Castleford, West Yorkshire22 November 2018
Worked here at Castleford service for 3 years in total. Great place to work, fun enviroment! At times it has been difficult but I have received all the support that I have needed along the way!

Manager, deputy manager and all staff friendly!
Manager very flexible, helpful and meets your needs when needed! Great service users and great atmosphere all around.

Says on advert no previous experience needed, which is correct, we have all the correct courses, training and booklets to help you learn the job! Our staffing team, senior team and management will always be happy to help and provide great support whenever staff need it.

I would Defiantly recommend applying for this job if you are wanting to take on a new challenge.
Pros
Flexibility
Enjoyed my job
Senior Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent20 November 2018
It’s the best company I’ve worked for, my Locality managers and the area manager have been so supportive and helpful in everything I do within my role, I have now progressed up the ladder to a senior support worker and I couldn’t be happier, I feel happy and contented within my job role and the shift patterns are excellent, we all support each other at a team should do, come aboard the best care company I’ve ever worked for
Excellent
Team Leader complex care (Current Employee) –  Walsall20 November 2018
I've been working for living ambitions part of life ways group.
I have found all the services and staff lovly.
CQC standards followed.
Excellent opportunity to develope
Pros
Training
I smile everyday
Scheme Manager (Current Employee) –  Staffordshire20 November 2018
I have worked for the Lifeways group for two years and more recently I now work for the living ambitions branch.
I have found the management support has been second to none and such a friendly team to be welcomed into.
I am a manager for the company and since I arrived I have been supported throughout any challenges that I have faced and this has developed my own knowledge and working practices. Of course like any other big organisation there are areas that require improvement. However fundamentally the individuals we support are in lovely environments that are conducive to their needs and supported by kind, caring, reliable staff teams that promote their dignity and independence. The company is made of up many lovely staff that all want to work together to develop and grow each aspect of the company not only for the the staff but for the individuals also.
I would most certainly recommend coming to join our team. See for yourself. We’re pretty alright to be fair!
Pros
Excellent People
Cons
My travelling - but that’s by choice
Good company with great opportunities to progress
Locality Manager (Current Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent20 November 2018
I started working with the company 6 and a half years ago as a support worker and over the years, have progressed up to Senior Support Worker, Scheme Manager and now Locality Manager. I have been able to progress up to this level due to the great training that this company offers and having lots of positive managers/mentors to support and enable me to progress. The company offers a great opportunity to work towards NVQ's/diplomas and always promotes and supports personal development for the employees.
I enjoy my job and feel that I have a good work/life balance. I particularly enjoy supporting the people that we support to achieve their outcomes and live a happy and fulfilling life.
Pros
Supportive management. Teamwork
Good Company
Service Manager (Current Employee) –  West Yorkshire19 November 2018
I have worked for the company for almost 7 years and have at times felt it difficult but have always had the support I have needed. The pay isn't the best but I support people because I want to, everybody is aware of the pay structure before they apply. The care sector across the country doesn't pay enough so this cant be said about Lifeways alone. I love making a difference to peoples lives and I feel as a Lifeways member of staff I can achieve that. Long hours are sometimes needed for me to fulfil my job role but this again is my choice. Nobody is pressured into anything. Lifeways have really good training opportunities for staff and also believe in promoting within the company.
Pros
making a difference
Good Staff Hard Working.
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom14 November 2018
Awful Company That Does Not Have The Best Intrests Of Staff And Tenants Management Are Rotten To The Core Meds Errors In The Last 3 Months With Controlled Meds Not Being Put Away In Secure Cupboards Locked And Just Left In Carrier Bags And Put In Filing Cupboards Wages Wrong Sometimes As Well And Management Not Informing Staff Of Changes.
Pros
Cons
Long Hrs For Terrible Pay
Fun and adventurous place to work
Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Rochdale, Greater Manchester13 November 2018
It’s a satisfying and rewarding job I cannot wait to start and help others share my experiences and help people progress the organisation does fantastic work and I am keen to get into the role.
Pros
Suitable hours
Cons
Non as of yet

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lifeways Group. Our community is ready to answer.

2.6