Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 890 reviews matching the search See all 4,335 reviews
Physical work only
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex1 August 2018
It's not the place where you want to be if you're looking to work on your team engagement or development skills. You are expected to just get the people on your shift to work hard and work twice as hard as them your self.

If you like that and your not interested in autonomy or developing your skills then it's ok. Many have come over with a big pay rise and love having less responsibility.
Truly great place to work for
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilfov31 July 2018
Good with overtime and great team
Okay management
Processes well thought through. Lots of fun and reward for hard work.wiyh overtime money was really good.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Really enjoyed working in both of the stores I managed for Lidl.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dorset30 July 2018
Great fast pasted environment. Simple and basic systems. Very efficient and a joy to work for. As a negative most senior management are recruited straight out of university and some lack social skills and business awareness around people and the shop floor.
Pros
Efficient
Cons
Too many changes in senior management
Stressful day
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstone, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Usually a shift starts when I am put on a till or I start baking. Lots of stress behind this job as the company expects the employee to do multiple jobs at one time. Less staff at my store which causes queues and involves more stress. Most of the staff and customers are friendly enough however you get a few bad ones in the bunch, especially the ones that ask stupid questions. However if you enjoy the money and have a high tolerance to stress then I guess you're in the right place.
Pros
Great Pay. The longer you stay, the higher the wages go up.
Cons
Less staff. Long hours. Multitasking at least three jobs at once.
It was a good job but the management and people, not so much.
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire23 July 2018
The job was fairly easy, the worst part was being stuck on a till for your 10 hour shift, and not getting any till support.

The management and duty managers seemed to make the job harder than it had to be because they couldn't be bothered to do theres correctly, always ordering more stock than we could handle for delivery's for example, and just not putting their fair share of effort into the team.

All in all i would work for Lidl again, but not at the same store.
Pros
good wage
Cons
early starts, long shifts, bad management
It is decent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 July 2018
Decent job for someone who wants a lil bit more than the minimal salary, however it's quite stressful in some stores as we're getting alot of mean customers and it is definately quite a bit harder than working in other stores(sainsbury, tesco). The life/work balance isn't perfect as they often ask you to stay longer. The team in my store is really good, pretty positive vibes all around.
Pros
employee discount, good colleagues
Cons
not easy
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, Lincolnshire19 July 2018
It is what it is, clock in clock out.
do your work and go home no extra.
Really good money, sometimes long hours but generally good for its money.
would recommend.
Pros
pay per hour
Takes over your life.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon15 July 2018
The training is mainly virtual, after that mistakes aren't tolerated. Extremely long shifts where you can spend 10 hours on a till. 15 mins break if you have already worked 4 hours. Shifts can be anything from 5 am to 11 pm. Hard physically unloading and stacking. Under managers can bully and be unpleasant.
Pros
10% discount card
Cons
Long hours. Weekends and evenings. Unpleasant staff.
Great job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brislington, Bristol14 July 2018
Loved the company but after a long time with its get boreing lol shame thing every day i just wont something thats gunna not bore me after a few years
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Waking up at 4
Salary
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset14 July 2018
Lidl pays very well as a company, but the expectation of 50+hours a week is the reason why. Also you rarely finish at the rota'd time and are expected to stay.

Realistcally not worth it.
Pros
money
Cons
Poor working conditions
Avoid Like the Plague
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire12 July 2018
This company (Lidl) is a complete con, DO NOT work for them at any cost or you will surely regret it. If you know what is good for you avoid like the Plague.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Incompetent management, horrific working hours, rude foul-mouthed managers, incompetent HR staff, company continues to harass you even after you've left
* brand new store *
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich8 July 2018
Management is horrendous speaking to colleagues like they are dirt at the bottom of their shoe. Always being ask to run SCO's and till one all on my own when I'm on a close which is very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay
Cons
productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  bristol7 July 2018
I was very amazed by the Lidl work force as they taught me and helped me to learn the basics of a good customer service attitude. I would get in to work and then I would either start on the till or if the store was not very busy I would help store / pack items.
Pros
amzing wages
Opportunity
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex2 July 2018
Lidl presents a very good opportunity to anyone that wants to work their way up within a company. There was work available when I wanted extra shifts and friendly management you could talk to.
The work was very strenuous but not dreadfully hard.
I enjoyed working with customers and helping the store through its busiest times. I like a challenge and this was what a shift at work would provide. Well payed work that makes you leave at the end of the shift feeling satisfied you have earned it.
Terrible Place To Work Bad Management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk26 June 2018
Lidl was ran terribly.
The management put so much pressure on the staff to scan quickly and learn all the codes for fruit and veg, there was often tests required to take after a shift.
The staff bullied one another and no one was polite.
Would not recommend working there to anyone
Pros
None.
Cons
everything
Face Paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 June 2018
Lidl is fast paced retail company and it is more about being productive and deliver your KPIs . Management change can be your strongest skills as business is changing fast
productive, fast paced.
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire21 June 2018
Lidl's is a fast paced company, which requires you to be involved in all your day to day tasks, from the smallest jobs to the larger, you need a hands on approach whilst maintaining and managing all things happening around you.
I would say ive learnt a lot within my years at lidl. However,the ability to multitask and priorities tasks needing to be done is a set of skills i feel have really imprinted on me.
The workplace culture really can be down to you, how you lead your team, how you empower everyone else. the concept of lidl is tight and efficient so each store has a smaller team. This allows you to be able to create your culture, it allows you to work closely with your team and really push each other. That being said if your not showing your team the potential or showing the positivity of WHY we do a task it will be detrimental to your team.
The hardest part of the job i feel, is having the time to do your key responsibilities. As previously mentioned it is a tight team environment, therefore, you are required to 'CA' tasks which is the face of the company. This means that often you are tied up with those tasks and lack the chance to be able to do your due diligence checks, general management tasks (training, development, implementations). That being said it can be the worst part of the job, due to the fact you feel that you aren't getting the most out of what your supposed to be doing, you aren't giving your team your fullest. This i must admit is very disheartening and frustrating.
Above all else though, I would say that because youre doing various tasks at once
  more... or you have the open range of jobs available to you. You are always busy, you wont feel like theres nothing to do, you need to be moving and keep pushing in any and all ways possible. This to me is what i enjoy most about this company, YES, its hard work, YES, it has its bad days. However, you are working alongside your team and you dont go home feeling you could have done more.  less
Pros
high holiday allowance, 10% discount
Cons
long hours, big contracts, intense
Well payed, but very busy environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Polegate15 June 2018
Regular management changes make it hard to grasp the rules and expectations properly. Every manager has different idea about running the store... Otherwise, fun place, some great people.
Pros
People, salary
Cons
Pressure
great place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minehead15 June 2018
Love LIDL great place to work very hard but rewarding greatr company ethos benefits are awesome would definitely recommend if you have the chance go for it
Pros
discount
Cons
early mornings
The Best
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Prahova14 June 2018
I have worked for Lidl for 3 year , time in which i have gain knowledge and experience . Lidl is a great company to work for and i strongly recommend.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K