Lidl Employee Reviews

Found 889 reviews matching the search See all 4,334 reviews
Good money for hard work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London13 September 2018
Great salary benefits, and staff are looked after to a point... it is very hard to advance in this job and does take a while however it is easy to catch on to things such as turn-over and till PLU'S
Great money but staff and work load is awful.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorking11 September 2018
I’ll tell you why I left. I wasn’t getting any help from anyone. Management would always find something for other people to do, instead of helping me do 7 palets of bakery delivery in the freezer. Sometimes I would spend 30-60 min in the freezer to sort delivery, clean the ice and rubbish. Plus do all the bakes in the time, plus go at the check out to serve a queue of people and re stock all of the shelves. Hours and shift were awful. I’d rather be poor than work with people and an environment like that. The people I worked with were lovely but management just terrible. The area manager that came from Germany was lovely and felt bad for me and the situation. Begging me to stay on my last week.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else
Empresa agradável
Assistente de cliente (Former Employee) –  Bedfordshire7 September 2018
A única coisa que não gostei foi de alguns clientes, pois não tinham qualquer respeito pelos assistentes. De resto, é bastante boa.
Hard work but very rewarding
Senior Management (Former Employee) –  London5 September 2018
Lidl has a superb and constructive atmosphere that rewards its staff for hard work, commitment and innovation. This was readily apparent in all parts of the UK operation.
Avoid!! Carrot dangling extraordinaires. Diabolical management
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  South east, Kent2 September 2018
Worked for lidl for 6 years and it took the biscuit out of me until the very end!!
Over my time there I was duty manager, freshness co’ordinator, non food co’ordinator, training mentor and what at times, felt like the company lapdog.

Management have not got a clue how to run a Lidl store anymore. Too many ex Asda/Sainsbury’s managers brought over who haven’t done a days work in their life and don’t understand the culture. Absolute egotistical, lazy, waste of space shirt wearers who could not run a bath with instructions.

I started in 2012 worked my way up to duty Manager within a year, was promised promotion to assistant manager after 2.. waited, working my absolute BOOTS off day in day out for the next 3 years.
This included 16 hour shifts, 24/7 on call, running the opening and closing of the store single handedly. Handling visits from the BOARD of DIRECTORS single handedly. Taking grillings and canings for issues out of my control. Coming in to the late shifts and picking up the mess from my own managers, for a measley £1 extra an hour.. running the entire store from a till while the assistant managers sit in the office drinking coffee.. I could go on and on. There is no exaggeration here.

5 years on and no promotion came, they then eventually gave the position to someone completely undeserving, for the sheer fact he spent half his shift out the back with the rest of the ‘managers’ doing sweet eff all!
Carrot dangling culture in Lidl is their ONLY form of motivation!

Lidl is company who’s business model is built on productivity and efficient working.. something
  more... the management seem oblivious to, yet are the first to pipe up and expect u to stay late when the work doesn’t get done due to their inactivity..

Iv worked in multiple Lidl stores over the years but ASHFORD is the worst hands down. Avoid work at the Ashford lidl.. unless u enjoy doing the work of 3, self mental health deterioration and watching your managers drink coffee.. Smokers have free reign over how long there breaks are. Work is NEVER done correctly. Training is absolutely non existent and the average longevity of an employee is less than a year.
The smart ones get out quick.

Work life balance non existent.
Long hours, short breaks.
Unachievable target sets for certain work

My only positive I could give about the place is the time goes very quick. And the work is very physically demanding if you like working yourself into the ground while the lazier staff take an easy ride and receive all the opportunities.

Avoid ASHFORD.
Pros
Time flies, physically demanding, money is good
Cons
Diabolical management. Carrot dangling extraordinaires.
Wish I never joined in the first place.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, Monmouthshire29 August 2018
My time at Lidl was not enjoyable at all. Every day, I was discriminated by all staff members, including the managers and higher roles. I am self conscious as it is about myself, and have been taking medication to help my anxiety and depression as a result of working at Lidl. I advise anyone to not think of the money they offer, but to think of their general mental health first because places like Lidl, ruin people's lives.
Cons
Everything.
productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thanet, Kent28 August 2018
In this fast paced role, I work both on the tills and on the shop floor. I serve customers, help them find the right product, set out stock, decard shelves, and clean the the entire store for closing.
nice place to work
DEPUTY MANAGER STORE (Former Employee) –  RO28 August 2018
I worked at LIDL full-time. (less than 1 year).
Good place to improve your management skills. A place with learn, fun and earn. One of the best work culture place. Team members are good to work with each others.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Long hours, work load is too high, compensation
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands24 August 2018
Was involved in the opening of a new warehouse at the time no senior management strong enough to help took on a lot on my back to help the new staff settle in but reach targets required.
Hardest part of the job was counting stock daily and using so many different systems, this needs to be more practical and easier to close down shifts.
Pros
Good involvement & training
Cons
Hard work but hard play too
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yate, Gloucestershire21 August 2018
I have only been working for Lidl for a year, but now it's my family. We have ups and downs but mainly we are team players who help to keep things ticking over. I am over 50years old and they welcomed me, pushed me, but welcomed me. Work is not difficult but very physical and yes you have to put up with rude customers. People are not always happy unless they're taking it out on a customer assistant at the till. They also like telling you how things could be run better and when you should do your job.I would like those same customers to go and tell a manager that.
Lidl is a company that has policies and one is till speed, it has to be fast to keep the lines down, but customers still refuse our requests to use the packing shelf of to put straight into their trollies and pack over at the packing shelf. All it would need is a large sign over the window to tell the customers to pack here please.
Life at Lidl is never dull and the gang meet up for fun after work and thanks to Lidl if our rewards of a discount and higher than the norm wages are not enough, they pay for a summer party of our choice and a Christmas party too. We all get together and not talk about work.
I love being at Lidl I only hope I do them justice .
Pros
A new family, great pay and great benefits
Cons
Very fast and physical
Disappointed
sales assistant/ duty manager (Former Employee) –  Willenhall, West Midlands20 August 2018
Worked for the company for years had an accident at work and wasnt treated fairly. Ive even and handed flyers out to bump sales when the store first opened. Ive had seven managers while I was at the store and one store manager took me to his new store to work alongside him.
Dont do it
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham13 August 2018
All I can say is don't do it.worst company in retailmthey never listen to what you ask have no team spiritand if you have gripes they answer
(If you don't like it don't work for lidl)
Toxic Environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian9 August 2018
A typical days work involves answering phone calls to abusive customers all day as well as being given a list of customer emails to respond to - this isn't completed normally due to the high amount of calls. The department expects so much from you even when you try your absolute best. I have never worked in an environment where as soon as you walk into the building the life is completely drained out of you to the point it is not healthy. If you are looking to be in a workplace where you can speak to other colleagues and have a chilled environment - this job is not for you. If you speak to another colleague, you are moaned at by management for chatting resulting in you sitting in absolute silence only answering phone calls. If you go on break to go to the toilet or make a cup of tea - you are moaned at by management for being longer that 5 minutes.
Management are poor. For some unknown reason the management are extremely rude to you. They try to walk all over you and speak to you like you are so beneath them and make you feel incredibly small. It is not a typical office environment - those who were one new starters come in chirpy and happy not knowing within a few months they will be brought down so much to the point they have to leave - staff turnover is VERY high, for every 5 new starts 1 is left by then end of the month. With the Lidl Customer Service office, it is ran completely different to the other offices in Lidl - it is outdated. With customers, your responses by email are very basic and have to be professional. If a customer emails or calls being very humorous, your
  more... response is standard and funny email responses are not allowed. In this day and age it is just very out of date and boring.

Overall I would never recommend this job to anyone. Between management and the abusive customers - it is not healthy to be in such a toxic environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything Else.
Lidl
Remerch assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom8 August 2018
It’s a great company that treat there staff so good !! Best company ever, they also pay so good ! And some
Job roles even get weekends off !! It’s a good job
Very good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Lidl pay the most out of all the supermarkets in the UK .But u have to work hard. if you are lazy forget applying for lidl you are not going to last long.
Pros
They do not pay for breaks
Cons
Long hours yes
Good place to work retail wise
Full time Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire7 August 2018
The pay is good and providing you have the staff (we are always short) it's alright. Have to do multiple tasks and flexible shifts, the latter is why I'm looking for a new job as it does not suit me any longer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Never enough staff
I think Lidl is a great supermarket .
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Streatham, Greater London4 August 2018
I think Lidl getting bigger in country, is a great supermarket and I wanna give contribution, I wanna get experience and work for Lidl I reckon gonna , good for me get experience from the biggest supermarket like Lidl , I gonna just my best all the time , no lateness get on time and do my work.
Pros
Free lanches
Cleaning
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire2 August 2018
I have done it for years and love doing it I will think my shelf as the best clearer but what and other job for my 2 kids I my bills I like to clean talk and have a laugh
Physical work only
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex1 August 2018
It's not the place where you want to be if you're looking to work on your team engagement or development skills. You are expected to just get the people on your shift to work hard and work twice as hard as them your self.

If you like that and your not interested in autonomy or developing your skills then it's ok. Many have come over with a big pay rise and love having less responsibility.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K