Lidl Employee Reviews

toxic environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
manager yelling at staff and customers, manager does not give you enough hours (makes you compensate by sending you to other stores), bad company culture
Cons
everything
Stressful, Bad Managment
Selector (Current Employee) –  Exeter Airport7 April 2018
I found the job to be highly stressful, with expectations to be to high for the job that is done. Payroll are always losing holiday forms or messing up pay.
Terrible.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
The training programme they tell you about, called LEON, is a lie. You use it a couple of times before they abandon it. Shifts change on a daily basis. Hours are unreasonable and they expect you to stay past your shift every shift (even if you're randomly scheduled to finish at midnight, you could end up there until 2AM).
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
long hours, 10 hour shifts only have a 30min break.
Dead end job
Warehouse Operative/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham4 April 2018
A typical day at work ~ for me is doing the same mundane, boring task.. picking boxes. I seem to be one of very few people tidying up after the idiots I have the displeasure of working with. I also expect be harrased by managers because my pick rate is dropping, but the things they don't seen to realise is that I am not slacking off, I'm simply having to stop what I'm supposed to be doing in order to keep the work place tidy and respectable.

What I learned at Lidl ~ I have worked at Lidl for several years now, I have learned nothing which can allow me to climb the ladder there, nothing which I didn't already know either, they have not entertained me at all despite me asking countless times.

Management ~ An absolute shambles.

Workplace culture ~ I feel like I work with children, I am surrounded by people who don't want to work, and it affects my performance as a result.

The hardest part of the job ~ The repetativness, the people I have to work with, my bosses.. I can't choose which is worse so I'm just going to pick them all.

The most enjoyable part of the job ~ Going home each day and getting my pay at the end of the month.

I can't reccomend working here if you value yourself as a person who wants to progress and succeed in life, because at Lidl you will not reach those goals.
Pros
They always ask for overtime ~ if that's what you're into.
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible management, terrible co-workers
very busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
i enjoyed working at lidl has it was always busy and i was always on the go i mostly worked on tills but also did some shop floor work which was decarding the shelves and stacking the shelves.
Awful company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend1 April 2018
The moment you join "Team Lidl" is the moment your life gets forced to take a back seat. They "pay well" only if they give you the hours you are contracted for (which is rare). After a certain time, YOU OWE THEM money for them not giving you your contracted hours. You are expected to work all hours of the day, and are treated like a pariah if you dare form an opinion of your own. If it's a quick quid in your pocket you want, join Lidl. If it's job satisfaction, avoid like the plague. And if you have a family to consider, Lidl is definitely not for you.
Pros
decent hourly rate
Cons
treated like second rate beings, rarely given contracted hours, expected to work all hours of day and night
Very bad and hate Christians
Customer Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newcastle upon Tyne, Tyne and Wear1 April 2018
This company do a Greek Range and they used the Church cupolas which is a famous Greek Church, but they photoshopped the cross from the church to put on their Greek range. This is so disrespectful. When asked they said they didn't want to be religious biased, but they sell Halal meat and other religious paraphernalia. I had to leave, I could not work for this disgusting company.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
They hate Christians
Challenging workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kaunas30 March 2018
It requires a quite amount of flexibility, but the salary is really competitive. One of the biggest disadvantages is unstable lunch breaks, e.g. you can get lunch at 9 pm.
Cons
Unpredictable lunch break time
It was a chill place as my colleagues helped me out to understand the basics that required for the job
Supermarket Assistant (Former Employee) –  Greece28 March 2018
I had to carry all the time, but that wasnt a problem. My colleagues was very helpful and motivated. I used to work there part time as I was still student.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Worst company to work for, would not recommend
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2018
They tell you lies, they teach you not to respect the customers and the tricks they teach you do not favour the customer, I am surprised they are still in business. I am now at Asda alot better and happier
Pros
staff card
Cons
The Management training, rubbish
Duty Manager
Duty Manager and Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 March 2018
Really hard work
Sometimes working for free because we did not hit the sales target
Bad personal life
Sometimes had shifts ending at midnight and the following day starting at 5 in the morning
hard but fair
Full time position, Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond22 March 2018
Hard work within a well oiled team environment. Well paid but earn your money through a continued expectation of hard work throughout every shift in store.
Pros
pay well
Cons
long days
Rather awful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 March 2018
Underpaid, under appreciated, not utilised, long hours, unfair working expectations, too many ego's, favouritism, uncaring, no respect, you name a problem it's probably there.
stressful & demoralising
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Yeovil (lyde road), Somerset21 March 2018
very clicky work place and two faced management as well as terrible morale among work staff make for a miserable experience. also major lack of breaks & social time due to terrible work hours.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
nicely paid work
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  Stockholms kommun20 March 2018
work is quit hectic, early morning shifts and heavy lifting. One can make good money though specailly if you work in evening shifts or weekends(double salary on weekends)
A hideous company creates hideous people.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend16 March 2018
A job with crazy hours. On a 25 hour contract- one week I could have 8 hours, the next almost 50. They have a company-colleague handbook that is made up of lies such as shifts not being changed without consent. Sometimes they’ll change them on the day.
I worked under almost 20 different people of the management team in just under a year, and can honestly only think of one or two that were decent at their jobs while still being a decent person.
A job full of empty promises and lies when it comes to development.
Could not express how little I would advocate a job here.
Pros
Staff keeping each other sane
Cons
Management, hours, the job itself
Awful
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evesham, Worcestershire15 March 2018
Terrible place to work. Managers treat you really badly. Inflexible hours. Always put you for shifts you can't do. Forget your holiday all the time. Won't let you go home if you're ill. I had a panic attack one evening and the manager just ignored me and I had to stay an extra hour. No apology. And when I go in there now they're still bitter to me because I left and got a better job :,) avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
10 hour shifts with short breaks and RUDE managers
Retail
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bingham15 March 2018
Pretty much like many other retailers except they do pay more on average but they requires to work very very hard and to be doing several task at once, Shift pattern work mean you won'y get a job life balance and will often call you in at a drop of the hat.
Pros
Ok Wage
Cons
Long hours, Shift pattern
Stay clear of this lot
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various14 March 2018
Applied for a 25hr week as only wanted part time.

The job advert asked what hours you were available to work so I put evenings and got all manor of starts including 0600.

Lasted a couple of months as only once did I actually get the 25hrs the rest of the time it was 30hrs plus I'd had enough when I was given a rota spread over 3 weeks with 118hrs.

Whats more this company doesn't employ enough staff in any of their shops usually it's around 33-35 thats if they can get them to stay.
It's no wonder that Lidl are making such a profit they're doing it off the backs of the poor people that work there.
Which is a great shame as the people I worked with were really pleasant and helpful they all deserve better

Its a hard graft as your expected to do everything in the store
tills, cleaning,stocking shelves etc etc

All the days are mostly 10 hrs and after two of three of them on the trot you know you've done it.

You'll end up feeling you've sold yourself to the devil.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff
Good to work for but could do more to better staff relations and needs
Forklift Driver/Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare, Somerset14 March 2018
In my job at lidl i've learnt various skills from Order picking to Order checking and being a Charge Hand on the nightshift where I currently drive the forklift.
Pros
Security of work
Cons
Working weekeneds and bank holidays

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K