Lidl Employee Reviews

Takes over your life.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon15 July 2018
The training is mainly virtual, after that mistakes aren't tolerated. Extremely long shifts where you can spend 10 hours on a till. 15 mins break if you have already worked 4 hours. Shifts can be anything from 5 am to 11 pm. Hard physically unloading and stacking. Under managers can bully and be unpleasant.
Pros
10% discount card
Cons
Long hours. Weekends and evenings. Unpleasant staff.
Great job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brislington, Bristol14 July 2018
Loved the company but after a long time with its get boreing lol shame thing every day i just wont something thats gunna not bore me after a few years
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Waking up at 4
Salary
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset14 July 2018
Lidl pays very well as a company, but the expectation of 50+hours a week is the reason why. Also you rarely finish at the rota'd time and are expected to stay.

Realistcally not worth it.
Pros
money
Cons
Poor working conditions
Avoid Like the Plague
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Nottingham, Nottinghamshire12 July 2018
This company (Lidl) is a complete con, DO NOT work for them at any cost or you will surely regret it. If you know what is good for you avoid like the Plague.
Pros
Absolutely nothing
Cons
Incompetent management, horrific working hours, rude foul-mouthed managers, incompetent HR staff, company continues to harass you even after you've left
* brand new store *
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich8 July 2018
Management is horrendous speaking to colleagues like they are dirt at the bottom of their shoe. Always being ask to run SCO's and till one all on my own when I'm on a close which is very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay
Cons
productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  bristol7 July 2018
I was very amazed by the Lidl work force as they taught me and helped me to learn the basics of a good customer service attitude. I would get in to work and then I would either start on the till or if the store was not very busy I would help store / pack items.
Pros
amzing wages
Opportunity
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newhaven, East Sussex2 July 2018
Lidl presents a very good opportunity to anyone that wants to work their way up within a company. There was work available when I wanted extra shifts and friendly management you could talk to.
The work was very strenuous but not dreadfully hard.
I enjoyed working with customers and helping the store through its busiest times. I like a challenge and this was what a shift at work would provide. Well payed work that makes you leave at the end of the shift feeling satisfied you have earned it.
Terrible Place To Work Bad Management
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ipswich, Suffolk26 June 2018
Lidl was ran terribly.
The management put so much pressure on the staff to scan quickly and learn all the codes for fruit and veg, there was often tests required to take after a shift.
The staff bullied one another and no one was polite.
Would not recommend working there to anyone
Pros
None.
Cons
everything
Face Paced
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Birmingham, West Midlands24 June 2018
Lidl is fast paced retail company and it is more about being productive and deliver your KPIs . Management change can be your strongest skills as business is changing fast
productive, fast paced.
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Warminster, Wiltshire21 June 2018
Lidl's is a fast paced company, which requires you to be involved in all your day to day tasks, from the smallest jobs to the larger, you need a hands on approach whilst maintaining and managing all things happening around you.
I would say ive learnt a lot within my years at lidl. However,the ability to multitask and priorities tasks needing to be done is a set of skills i feel have really imprinted on me.
The workplace culture really can be down to you, how you lead your team, how you empower everyone else. the concept of lidl is tight and efficient so each store has a smaller team. This allows you to be able to create your culture, it allows you to work closely with your team and really push each other. That being said if your not showing your team the potential or showing the positivity of WHY we do a task it will be detrimental to your team.
The hardest part of the job i feel, is having the time to do your key responsibilities. As previously mentioned it is a tight team environment, therefore, you are required to 'CA' tasks which is the face of the company. This means that often you are tied up with those tasks and lack the chance to be able to do your due diligence checks, general management tasks (training, development, implementations). That being said it can be the worst part of the job, due to the fact you feel that you aren't getting the most out of what your supposed to be doing, you aren't giving your team your fullest. This i must admit is very disheartening and frustrating.
Above all else though, I would say that because youre doing various tasks at once
  more... or you have the open range of jobs available to you. You are always busy, you wont feel like theres nothing to do, you need to be moving and keep pushing in any and all ways possible. This to me is what i enjoy most about this company, YES, its hard work, YES, it has its bad days. However, you are working alongside your team and you dont go home feeling you could have done more.  less
Pros
high holiday allowance, 10% discount
Cons
long hours, big contracts, intense
Well payed, but very busy environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Polegate15 June 2018
Regular management changes make it hard to grasp the rules and expectations properly. Every manager has different idea about running the store... Otherwise, fun place, some great people.
Pros
People, salary
Cons
Pressure
great place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minehead15 June 2018
Love LIDL great place to work very hard but rewarding greatr company ethos benefits are awesome would definitely recommend if you have the chance go for it
Pros
discount
Cons
early mornings
The Best
Team Leader (Former Employee) –  Prahova14 June 2018
I have worked for Lidl for 3 year , time in which i have gain knowledge and experience . Lidl is a great company to work for and i strongly recommend.
Fast and Furious
Temp Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  Livingston13 June 2018
Dealing with emails and calls
You'd start on an email, read two lines then a call comes in.
You deal with the call, from start to finish, right through to sending out postal vouchers then go back to try to read the email again, You'd get two lines read and another call comes in, you deal with the call from start to finish then attempt the email again......You get the idea.
All the while that this is happening, you have someone in the background shouting " there's 10 in the queue"
High pressured environment, little scope for dealing with complaints properly.
Conveyor belt of calls and emails.
No canteen just the usual microwave and kettle.
Nowhere to get lunch due to location.
Pros
mmmmmmh im trying to think of some
Cons
Long hours, high pressured, noisy
Lidl's
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Midsomer Norton, Somerset12 June 2018
I received poor training right from the start and was told to stay on the tills permanently, Everyday I went in it was an 8 - 9 hour shift on tills and nothing else, I wanted to help around the store restocking and such but that was a no go for me.

They always blamed me for losing money but it was there fault for putting me on 1st till all day and me being the only till on, Of course I'd end up losing money 100+ people come to your till they pay with there card and they wanted cashback, That's not my fault it's the company's,

This would happen every single day I was treated unfairly, One of the managers at the time when I got released smiled and laughed to himself, So it was obvious I wasn't welcome or wanted there.
Pros
Breaks.
Cons
Forced to stay on the tills.
Unpleasent
Customer service (Current Employee) –  Belfast11 June 2018
Majority of working days involve being stuck at a till for countless hours on end not being able to leave the position until break time then stuck there again until the shop closes. Day in day out.
Great Place To Work
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Chadwell Heath7 June 2018
Bust & fast paced workplace.

I learned how to remain calm under pressure - such as extremely busy times.

Mixed culture.

Some heavy lifting.

Management are ok
Constructive work
Training Mentor (Current Employee) –  Chessington, Surrey5 June 2018
Promotions are difficult because there are too many shift managers. Due to restrictions of night shift delivery needs to be worked between morning hours making it difficult to focus on customer needs.
Pros
10% discounts
Cons
Labour job
Fun at times but hard work
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Poole5 June 2018
Can be very hard work, some days can be good, some days can be bad, every day is different.. you’re expected to work no matter how many pallets you have in the same amount of time.. targets are unrealistic with the hours given, some staff are expected to do everything with minimal breaks
Pros
Pay for store assistants
Cons
Unrealistic targets, management working to much . Breaks and work life balance
Good pay, unduly stressful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire3 June 2018
It's a good place to work if you thrive on fast paced environment and pressure. The pay is good as are the holidays. I did however watch people do 16 hour shifts with only a half hour break because of the pressures that they were put under.
I learned how to work under stress and produce the work that was expected of me.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with deadlines that were impossible to meet.
The best part was getting your pay at the end of the month.
Pros
Good money and progression opportunities.
Cons
Long shifts and extremely stressful.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K