Lidl Employee Reviews

Asking too much if you
Priduction Team Manager (Former Employee) –  Wimbledon, Greater London2 May 2018
Expect to do what would be 3 jobs of work squeezed into one person and paid for one person. After years of being given more and more to do I'm leaving and a credit it to its over arching culture in the business.
Pros
10% staff discount
Cons
Overworked and under paid
Good,fun working place
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  London28 April 2018
It was good place to work,but management need to improve to listen to staff.Payment,holiday,pension was good,paid break was also very good initiative.
Pros
good money, discounts
Cons
1 person need to do 4 peoples job.
productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hadley, Shropshire26 April 2018
a good place to work for. typical work day would consist of serving customers, replenishing shelves. as well as doing date check and temperature checks. management wasn't the best when i was working there. hardest part of the job is trying to memorise the codes to the fruit and vegetables
Cons
trying to memorise the fruit and veg codes
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill24 April 2018
Working at lidl was ok until i got diagnosed with a chronic illness, then it became hard to manage and i was constantly having to take time off. i couldn't cope with the lifting.

I would recommend working here if you are in good physical shape and can manage high pressure and a fast pace job.
Pros
good pay
Cons
If you value your life as a human being, do not work here.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  United Kingdom22 April 2018
Working for this company left me with severe depression and anxiety, due to the horrendous mistreatment from management, and the company itself.
This is a company that employs intimidation as a management tool, one especially favoured by company directors/auditors/upper management during their relentless store visits.
No aspect of your appearance, attitude or mannerism is left uncriticized, leading to staff being ground down to nothing if you try to endure it for too long.
Any hope of a personal life is out of the question, you will be expected to give that up for this company. You may receive a good payslip at the end of the month, but what's the point if you have no time to enjoy it?
Honestly, I could keep adding to this review until my fingers wear down to the knuckle.

Just take my advice, don't.

You're better than this.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Everything else
Would not recommend management with this company unless you live to work.
assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  North West19 April 2018
Unsociable hrs, 50 hrs plus per wk and expected to do extra. Pay not good when you actually work out your hrly rate. Regularly working through breaks.
Rotas two wks in advance when should be three.
Lack of communication, team spirit and team development.
Management rule with a tell approach.
Pros
discount off shopping
Cons
long hrs
good role but robotic
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Braintree18 April 2018
enjoyed my time here but found it very restrictive to grow as a manager. I think it is best for colleagues who are starting out in their management career
Pros
good salary
Cons
poor work life balance
Boaring
Customer Service Advisor (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London17 April 2018
Expected to work silly shift patterns with no regard for family or social life.
Over worked In a repeatative mind numbing job
Get stuck on tills most of your shift with a poxy 30min break.
Told to work at a stupid fast pace, with most managers moaning about staff
Keep moving staff around to other stores which can create a unstable environment.
Pros
Good basic salary
Cons
Early starts late nights
Would'nt go back
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire16 April 2018
Decent pay but really rubbish hours unless you book holidays off weeks and weeks in advance. Also you get really frowned upon if you ring in sick and the management can be really unorganised and immature.
Pros
discount
Cons
long hours, really difficult to book time off, favouritsm
Bad Manager
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nottingham15 April 2018
Awful Management, expect the world and never give any praise for the hard work you put in. Pay is great but expect to be treated like a worthless slave for it
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
great benefits not a good work life balance
graduate scheme (Former Employee) –  England12 April 2018
long hours, no work life balance, expected to work over 50 hours in one week with no recognition for the favours you have given. changing as a company however never follow through.
Long hours, stressful demands
Customer Assistant/Cashier & Trainee Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodley12 April 2018
At first it was a job like any other, however, 10-hour shifts with possible overtime are exhausting. I was encouraged to be a duty in March 2018 manager (supervisor), I was informed they would be a training programme into the summer after applying. I was given disjointed crash-courses from different members of staff and thrown into the metaphorical deep end of being a duty manager over 2 weeks before the application was even available. I still don't know what I am doing after nearly a month of having things hurriedly explained to me and the interview for the job is next week!
ok if you do not have any other commitments
sales assistant/duty manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire11 April 2018
its ok unless you have a uni or college course along side it and then they say they will accommodate but they do not. make you work over your contracted hours. Change the rota without telling you.
Pros
good pay
difficult company to work for in the end
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk10 April 2018
when I first started the job was enjoyable, but then the criteria for each member of staff changed, less time to work delivery, having to scan more items per minute. it became stressful working there
Pros
good rates of pay
fast
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Penicuik9 April 2018
Every day would be busy and fast-paced. Being kept busy and learning new roles. Would be kept busy as soon as you entered the store. The best part was the smell of the bakery.
Cons
very long hours to very short hours
toxic environment
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Southampton9 April 2018
manager yelling at staff and customers, manager does not give you enough hours (makes you compensate by sending you to other stores), bad company culture
Cons
everything
Stressful, Bad Managment
Selector (Current Employee) –  Exeter Airport7 April 2018
I found the job to be highly stressful, with expectations to be to high for the job that is done. Payroll are always losing holiday forms or messing up pay.
Terrible.
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London6 April 2018
The training programme they tell you about, called LEON, is a lie. You use it a couple of times before they abandon it. Shifts change on a daily basis. Hours are unreasonable and they expect you to stay past your shift every shift (even if you're randomly scheduled to finish at midnight, you could end up there until 2AM).
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
long hours, 10 hour shifts only have a 30min break.
Dead end job
Warehouse Operative/Forklift Driver (Current Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham4 April 2018
A typical day at work ~ for me is doing the same mundane, boring task.. picking boxes. I seem to be one of very few people tidying up after the idiots I have the displeasure of working with. I also expect be harrased by managers because my pick rate is dropping, but the things they don't seen to realise is that I am not slacking off, I'm simply having to stop what I'm supposed to be doing in order to keep the work place tidy and respectable.

What I learned at Lidl ~ I have worked at Lidl for several years now, I have learned nothing which can allow me to climb the ladder there, nothing which I didn't already know either, they have not entertained me at all despite me asking countless times.

Management ~ An absolute shambles.

Workplace culture ~ I feel like I work with children, I am surrounded by people who don't want to work, and it affects my performance as a result.

The hardest part of the job ~ The repetativness, the people I have to work with, my bosses.. I can't choose which is worse so I'm just going to pick them all.

The most enjoyable part of the job ~ Going home each day and getting my pay at the end of the month.

I can't reccomend working here if you value yourself as a person who wants to progress and succeed in life, because at Lidl you will not reach those goals.
Pros
They always ask for overtime ~ if that's what you're into.
Cons
Terrible pay, terrible management, terrible co-workers
very busy workplace
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Radcliffe, Greater Manchester4 April 2018
i enjoyed working at lidl has it was always busy and i was always on the go i mostly worked on tills but also did some shop floor work which was decarding the shelves and stacking the shelves.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K