Lidl Employee Reviews

Duty Manager
Duty Manager and Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 March 2018
Really hard work
Sometimes working for free because we did not hit the sales target
Bad personal life
Sometimes had shifts ending at midnight and the following day starting at 5 in the morning
hard but fair
Full time position, Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Richmond22 March 2018
Hard work within a well oiled team environment. Well paid but earn your money through a continued expectation of hard work throughout every shift in store.
Pros
pay well
Cons
long days
Rather awful
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newbury22 March 2018
Underpaid, under appreciated, not utilised, long hours, unfair working expectations, too many ego's, favouritism, uncaring, no respect, you name a problem it's probably there.
stressful & demoralising
Team Member (Former Employee) –  Yeovil (lyde road), Somerset21 March 2018
very clicky work place and two faced management as well as terrible morale among work staff make for a miserable experience. also major lack of breaks & social time due to terrible work hours.
Pros
pay
Cons
everything else
A hideous company creates hideous people.
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend16 March 2018
A job with crazy hours. On a 25 hour contract- one week I could have 8 hours, the next almost 50. They have a company-colleague handbook that is made up of lies such as shifts not being changed without consent. Sometimes they’ll change them on the day.
I worked under almost 20 different people of the management team in just under a year, and can honestly only think of one or two that were decent at their jobs while still being a decent person.
A job full of empty promises and lies when it comes to development.
Could not express how little I would advocate a job here.
Pros
Staff keeping each other sane
Cons
Management, hours, the job itself
Awful
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Evesham, Worcestershire15 March 2018
Terrible place to work. Managers treat you really badly. Inflexible hours. Always put you for shifts you can't do. Forget your holiday all the time. Won't let you go home if you're ill. I had a panic attack one evening and the manager just ignored me and I had to stay an extra hour. No apology. And when I go in there now they're still bitter to me because I left and got a better job :,) avoid this place like the plague.
Pros
10% discount
Cons
10 hour shifts with short breaks and RUDE managers
Retail
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Bingham15 March 2018
Pretty much like many other retailers except they do pay more on average but they requires to work very very hard and to be doing several task at once, Shift pattern work mean you won'y get a job life balance and will often call you in at a drop of the hat.
Pros
Ok Wage
Cons
Long hours, Shift pattern
Stay clear of this lot
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Various14 March 2018
Applied for a 25hr week as only wanted part time.

The job advert asked what hours you were available to work so I put evenings and got all manor of starts including 0600.

Lasted a couple of months as only once did I actually get the 25hrs the rest of the time it was 30hrs plus I'd had enough when I was given a rota spread over 3 weeks with 118hrs.

Whats more this company doesn't employ enough staff in any of their shops usually it's around 33-35 thats if they can get them to stay.
It's no wonder that Lidl are making such a profit they're doing it off the backs of the poor people that work there.
Which is a great shame as the people I worked with were really pleasant and helpful they all deserve better

Its a hard graft as your expected to do everything in the store
tills, cleaning,stocking shelves etc etc

All the days are mostly 10 hrs and after two of three of them on the trot you know you've done it.

You'll end up feeling you've sold yourself to the devil.

Don't touch it with a barge pole.
Pros
Friendly staff
Cons
Not enough staff
Poor work home life babance
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  West Wickham13 March 2018
I was increasingly finding that I was spending way too much time working and sleep was becoming near non existent. Duty managers expected to carry out role of manager but without the benefits. Apart from this a very enjoyable role.
Awful place to work at.
customer advisor (Former Employee) –  harlow staple tye12 March 2018
Worst place to work, i worked on nights, management are clueless and rude, no communication between colleagues, pay is OK not the best, no training given by management had to learn from other people. ignored all day every day by management absolutely terrible management. the store especially warehouse is always filthy, no one can do any orders properly, terrible place needs shutting down.
Cons
terrible management, dirty store, rude, poor hours, terrible place to work.
All round a very good place to work and everyone is always there to give you a help in hand.
Picker (Former Employee) –  Bridgend11 March 2018
One of the best places i have worked in to be honest with you. A very friendly team and all the workers there are polite, friendly and just good people in general, even the managers are very polite and chatty to you and always would ask if your okay and if you needed anything was always there to answer any questions you had etc. The work was pretty easy and good going and as long as you listened and concentrated and used common sense you would be fine but as i say all round pretty awesome place to work and was very happy there.
Pros
Good shifts and a very helpful team.
Cons
At times a lack of work.
Physically exhausting
SALES ASSISSTANT (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire7 March 2018
Work was very excessive and tiring at times. Your constantly on the move especially if in the bakery section of the store. You don't get a chance to catch your breathe unless your on a break as theres always something that needs doing this is especially if your in a busy store. Be expected to keep up with tight time constraints.
Pros
lunch on sight
Cons
physically exhausting
fast-paced, well payed
General Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kristianstads kommun7 March 2018
When working at LIDL you need to be a versatile person, and quick. All of the staff are responsible for the running of the store, and you could be doing a number of tasks during your shift.

I can be difficult to get things done, such as re-stocking, especially when you have low staff. It is a very fast paced job, but with having to do various task through out the day it does make the time go a bit faster.
Pros
Fast paced
Cons
Stressful during long hours.
good experience
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Croydon, Greater London6 March 2018
Lidl Need to focus more on Management most of them are not literate some times dont have manners to talk to staffs
Stressful day everyday interacting with weird customers not easy
there is no such enjoyable part apart from when you get to know its time to go home, workplace sometimes have alot of politics and favouritism
Pros
progress chances high
Cons
Productive and fun work environment
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Newton Aycliffe, Durham5 March 2018
You had a start time but didn't have a finish time incase you received a order that needed to go out and was relying on public transport to get from and to work so when I was finishing at 2am and there was no public transport running I was having to walk 2 hours home after a 12 hour shift
Could be really good.
Acting fast and efficiently when restocking goods (Current Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend25 February 2018
Descent place to work. Management is awful. all out for themselves and not part of the bigger picture. Hard work does not get you anywhere. Selection department is run the wrong way. Equality and fairness is lacking.
Werehouse Operative
Warehouse Operative (Current Employee) –  Lidl24 February 2018
Picking By Voice Commands
Learn a lot of warehouse operative duties
Management is helpful more than enough.
Workplace culture - is everyone polite and helpful as well.
The hardest part of the job was first day, because of nervous how is everything will be, what will be need to do and etc.
The most enjoyable part of the job - every day I am coming there with smile, because I am giving all my self to that place, all my strength, all my passion. I like physical job.
Pros
Lidl discount
Good work place
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Midlands23 February 2018
Productive and good place to work
Nice people to work with
Can be long hours and hard work
early morning shifts
working in a fast paced environment
Pros
Fast paced retail environment, Opportunities for progressions, Overall good management, Great hourly rate.
Great job
check out employee (Former Employee) –  Gemeente Putten23 February 2018
The jobs changed from hour to hour. One moment you be stoking shelves and the next you be at the check out.

The team I worked with was nice and fun and the mood all around was cheerful.

Store managers where not always as nice and they where replaced most frequently.
Pros
3 breaks during a long day
Cons
always needed a shopping receipt for the lunch you got
good
Night Shift Worker (Former Employee) –  Walthamstow22 February 2018
staff were helpful and enjoyable to work with i liked the fact that everyone worked well as a team the pay was good for the hours I was working and a all round good place to work
Pros
pay
Cons
cleaning

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41K