Lidl Employee Reviews

productive and fun workplace
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Thanet, Kent28 August 2018
In this fast paced role, I work both on the tills and on the shop floor. I serve customers, help them find the right product, set out stock, decard shelves, and clean the the entire store for closing.
nice place to work
DEPUTY MANAGER STORE (Former Employee) –  RO28 August 2018
I worked at LIDL full-time. (less than 1 year).
Good place to improve your management skills. A place with learn, fun and earn. One of the best work culture place. Team members are good to work with each others.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Long hours, work load is too high, compensation
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Wednesbury, West Midlands24 August 2018
Was involved in the opening of a new warehouse at the time no senior management strong enough to help took on a lot on my back to help the new staff settle in but reach targets required.
Hardest part of the job was counting stock daily and using so many different systems, this needs to be more practical and easier to close down shifts.
Pros
Good involvement & training
Cons
Hard work but hard play too
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yate, Gloucestershire21 August 2018
I have only been working for Lidl for a year, but now it's my family. We have ups and downs but mainly we are team players who help to keep things ticking over. I am over 50years old and they welcomed me, pushed me, but welcomed me. Work is not difficult but very physical and yes you have to put up with rude customers. People are not always happy unless they're taking it out on a customer assistant at the till. They also like telling you how things could be run better and when you should do your job.I would like those same customers to go and tell a manager that.
Lidl is a company that has policies and one is till speed, it has to be fast to keep the lines down, but customers still refuse our requests to use the packing shelf of to put straight into their trollies and pack over at the packing shelf. All it would need is a large sign over the window to tell the customers to pack here please.
Life at Lidl is never dull and the gang meet up for fun after work and thanks to Lidl if our rewards of a discount and higher than the norm wages are not enough, they pay for a summer party of our choice and a Christmas party too. We all get together and not talk about work.
I love being at Lidl I only hope I do them justice .
Pros
A new family, great pay and great benefits
Cons
Very fast and physical
Disappointed
sales assistant/ duty manager (Former Employee) –  Willenhall, West Midlands20 August 2018
Worked for the company for years had an accident at work and wasnt treated fairly. Ive even and handed flyers out to bump sales when the store first opened. Ive had seven managers while I was at the store and one store manager took me to his new store to work alongside him.
Dont do it
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stockton-on-Tees, Durham13 August 2018
All I can say is don't do it.worst company in retailmthey never listen to what you ask have no team spiritand if you have gripes they answer
(If you don't like it don't work for lidl)
Toxic Environment.
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Livingston, West Lothian9 August 2018
A typical days work involves answering phone calls to abusive customers all day as well as being given a list of customer emails to respond to - this isn't completed normally due to the high amount of calls. The department expects so much from you even when you try your absolute best. I have never worked in an environment where as soon as you walk into the building the life is completely drained out of you to the point it is not healthy. If you are looking to be in a workplace where you can speak to other colleagues and have a chilled environment - this job is not for you. If you speak to another colleague, you are moaned at by management for chatting resulting in you sitting in absolute silence only answering phone calls. If you go on break to go to the toilet or make a cup of tea - you are moaned at by management for being longer that 5 minutes.
Management are poor. For some unknown reason the management are extremely rude to you. They try to walk all over you and speak to you like you are so beneath them and make you feel incredibly small. It is not a typical office environment - those who were one new starters come in chirpy and happy not knowing within a few months they will be brought down so much to the point they have to leave - staff turnover is VERY high, for every 5 new starts 1 is left by then end of the month. With the Lidl Customer Service office, it is ran completely different to the other offices in Lidl - it is outdated. With customers, your responses by email are very basic and have to be professional. If a customer emails or calls being very humorous, your
  more... response is standard and funny email responses are not allowed. In this day and age it is just very out of date and boring.

Overall I would never recommend this job to anyone. Between management and the abusive customers - it is not healthy to be in such a toxic environment.
Pros
Good Pay
Cons
Everything Else.
Lidl
Remerch assistant (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom8 August 2018
It’s a great company that treat there staff so good !! Best company ever, they also pay so good ! And some
Job roles even get weekends off !! It’s a good job
Very good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Lidl pay the most out of all the supermarkets in the UK .But u have to work hard. if you are lazy forget applying for lidl you are not going to last long.
Pros
They do not pay for breaks
Cons
Long hours yes

Want to know more about Lidl?

Ask a question
Good place to work retail wise
Full time Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire7 August 2018
The pay is good and providing you have the staff (we are always short) it's alright. Have to do multiple tasks and flexible shifts, the latter is why I'm looking for a new job as it does not suit me any longer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Never enough staff
I think Lidl is a great supermarket .
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Streatham, Greater London4 August 2018
I think Lidl getting bigger in country, is a great supermarket and I wanna give contribution, I wanna get experience and work for Lidl I reckon gonna , good for me get experience from the biggest supermarket like Lidl , I gonna just my best all the time , no lateness get on time and do my work.
Pros
Free lanches
Cleaning
Care Assistant (Current Employee) –  Preston, Lancashire2 August 2018
I have done it for years and love doing it I will think my shelf as the best clearer but what and other job for my 2 kids I my bills I like to clean talk and have a laugh
Physical work only
Assistant Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Chichester, West Sussex1 August 2018
It's not the place where you want to be if you're looking to work on your team engagement or development skills. You are expected to just get the people on your shift to work hard and work twice as hard as them your self.

If you like that and your not interested in autonomy or developing your skills then it's ok. Many have come over with a big pay rise and love having less responsibility.
Truly great place to work for
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilfov31 July 2018
Good with overtime and great team
Okay management
Processes well thought through. Lots of fun and reward for hard work.wiyh overtime money was really good.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Really enjoyed working in both of the stores I managed for Lidl.
Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Dorset30 July 2018
Great fast pasted environment. Simple and basic systems. Very efficient and a joy to work for. As a negative most senior management are recruited straight out of university and some lack social skills and business awareness around people and the shop floor.
Pros
Efficient
Cons
Too many changes in senior management
Stressful day
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstone, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Usually a shift starts when I am put on a till or I start baking. Lots of stress behind this job as the company expects the employee to do multiple jobs at one time. Less staff at my store which causes queues and involves more stress. Most of the staff and customers are friendly enough however you get a few bad ones in the bunch, especially the ones that ask stupid questions. However if you enjoy the money and have a high tolerance to stress then I guess you're in the right place.
Pros
Great Pay. The longer you stay, the higher the wages go up.
Cons
Less staff. Long hours. Multitasking at least three jobs at once.
It was a good job but the management and people, not so much.
customer assistant (Former Employee) –  Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire23 July 2018
The job was fairly easy, the worst part was being stuck on a till for your 10 hour shift, and not getting any till support.

The management and duty managers seemed to make the job harder than it had to be because they couldn't be bothered to do theres correctly, always ordering more stock than we could handle for delivery's for example, and just not putting their fair share of effort into the team.

All in all i would work for Lidl again, but not at the same store.
Pros
good wage
Cons
early starts, long shifts, bad management
It is decent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 July 2018
Decent job for someone who wants a lil bit more than the minimal salary, however it's quite stressful in some stores as we're getting alot of mean customers and it is definately quite a bit harder than working in other stores(sainsbury, tesco). The life/work balance isn't perfect as they often ask you to stay longer. The team in my store is really good, pretty positive vibes all around.
Pros
employee discount, good colleagues
Cons
not easy
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, Lincolnshire19 July 2018
It is what it is, clock in clock out.
do your work and go home no extra.
Really good money, sometimes long hours but generally good for its money.
would recommend.
Pros
pay per hour
Cons

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K