Lidl Employee Reviews

Back breaking
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Waltham Abbey3 June 2018
Overall ok environment, worked like a donkey a lot expected for the money earnt, most staff are lovely, some think they own the place and try to bully you, the rotas are sometimes impossible to acces so you don’t know what your doing from one week to the next, shifts are all over the place early one day lates the next, sometimes only doing 4-5 hours a shift so you can do 5 days even if you only have a 20 hour contract, so you can’t make plans for a day.
Be prepared to work extremely hard and have a sore back.
Pros
Ok money
Cons
Overworked
good
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Manchester2 June 2018
Every day working at Lidl is different ,your never bored,and there's always complications and challenges. Very physical and demanding, but rewarding and satisfaction.
Pros
Salery and benifits
Cons
work/life balance
fun work place
Warehouse Operative (Former Employee) –  Northfleet31 May 2018
love to work and have a good time and really injoy work and would love to get back in to it key skills is warehouse opp work in lidl for at 4 months..
Pros
1 hour lunch
Cons
short hours
Horrible
Shift Manager (Former Employee) –  London31 May 2018
If you want to work there forget about flexibility, personal life, free time, studying, other commitments etc.
You are expected to be available to work 24/7
Pros
Cons
Management, work ethics, pay
Convinent for a Student Part time Job
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Okehampton, Devon31 May 2018
- I joined Lidl during college when i turned 18 and they took me on without any previous job experience which I was delighted with
- I started work over summer with training included; they then catered my hours around my study schedule when i went back to college which was highly convinient
- management have changed a few times since working and i believe they are consistently improving
- it is a fast paced environment which a few employeed struggle with but this is disclosed in the job advertisement and applicants should take note
- it can be challenging but the most enjoyable part of the job is unexpected kindness from customers particularly in times of business which makes negative customer experiences worth it.
Pros
Lidl Discount
Cons
Not set finish hours on a close
Awful company
Duty manger (Current Employee) –  Swansea31 May 2018
The pay is decent if you are a student or have no commitments but for the responsibilities and amount of work that is to be done on a morning shift for example the pay is not worth it , do not apply for Lidl if you want a social life or if you want to enjoy going to work , it is not a good company to work for.
All the management want is more and more but do not give you enough staff or time to do jobs , all you get is grief and criticism you can not do enough to keep them happy , other companies over an hours break on a 10hr shift in Lidl regardless of how long your shift is if you work over 6hrs you only get 30minutes if your lucky , believe me there are better companies to work for don’t apply for Lidl
Pros
Customer assistants
Cons
Management, environment, Lidl
If you are a graduate and passionate about retail, this is everything you are looking for.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 May 2018
Excellent place to work, particularly at Head Office in London and down south. Lots of autonomy, responsibility and endless opportunities to work in a variety of positions and countries.

Left because retail is not my thing and I want to pursue my dream career in software development. At Lidl, you will work long hours and the job consumes much of your time so make sure you are passionate about retail and business management. If you are, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Pros
excellent salary, progression, opportunities, pension scheme, company car.
Cons
Long hours, some positions have poor work-life balance.
lidl
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton30 May 2018
Lidl is a great starting job for when you finish school or doing uni at the same time as there is not a big number of hours 20-25 which is great if you just want some pocket money
Cons
no hours
Great team feeling
Nightshift (Former Employee) –  Uxbridge, Greater London30 May 2018
The business makes you feel like you a part of a team it helps you build a strong sense of responsibility to the team. Salery is strong and pays you the amount of work you put in.
Pros
Good team, happy workplace, rewarding work
Cons
Doesn't balance with life well (but that is from Nightshift), very fast pace, strict management
Its great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 May 2018
Love this job, love the people, pay is amazing. When I started they made me feel welcome and in a week I felt like I was working there for months.
However the work load is allot and the lifting heavy weights gets abit much for me most the time, allot of bending over freezers and lifting heavy items to high shelves.
The only thing I HATE is the early starts, 5AM.
There can be late finishes allot of the time, however time goes that quick you never notice.
Pros
staff, management, company, pay, everything tbf
Cons
Work hours, Too much heavy lifting
Would need to pay me double
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire21 May 2018
Such a shame as when I went to the RDC I was really excited to start working at Lidl. However, after only a week of training I knew it was just a facade put on and the real life of Lidl was a joke. The management was full of self-centred and ignorant people who took pride in breaking your back with work and demanding you work extra hours / come in earlier. I tried to persevere through ( I even moved locations) but to no avail. It seems, in my case anyways, that the senior staff at Lidl are power hungry individuals with no regards for the well being of their staff.

Another thing, not associated with the job as such, Lidl have to throw a lot of their unsold bakery items away at the end of the day, but rather than give it to the homeless shelters nearby, it gets bagged up and thrown away. My suggestions to do the former were shot down which was very disappointing.
Pros
Can't knock the bakery items
Cons
I can't be bothered typing anymore, sorry, just don't apply.
Warehouse
Picker/Packer (Former Employee) –  London20 May 2018
Good job worked there 3 years would like to work there again !! Good inviormenf to work good hours and decent pay always liked working in the past of the team
fun but worked hard
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset19 May 2018
expected to do bit of everything, from tills to filling shelves baking bread to receiving deliveries. shift work can be any anything from 5am starts on early shift, or late shift where you finish once all jobs for the day are complete no guarantee that you finish at a set time.
Good
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Whitchurch, Shropshire19 May 2018
I worked in the Whitchurch branch for a short while.

Management are very friendly and genuinely seem to care about staff they are also really flexible if you have appointments etc.

There were a few staff members who like a gossip but if you keep your head down there shouldn’t be any problems.

The job itself is quite mundane with very little progression opportunities, it’s OK if you want a responsibility free job for reasonable pay.
Pros
Flexible approach, friendly management, mostly a nice environment
Cons
Little to no progression, never expect to finish your shift on time
Company full of disappointments
Manager (Current Employee) –  Bristol18 May 2018
If u r ambitious this company and every upper management will drain u out and squeeze ur energy to the last drop.

Upper management are always motivating and gives lots of promises makes u dream big however despite how hard u worked and sacrificed ur life to build a career, promises keeps changing and changing and when u feel demotivated , more false promises for progression

If u are a sales assistant and wanna reach store manager position, expect to spend at least a good 20 years of ur life to get there.

Upper management are always stressing and expect u to be a robot or a superman and do wut u r told no matter if its achievable or not and in return u still never get appreciation

Decided to move on and change job very soon
Pros
Flexible hours sometimes
Cons
Too many to list
Stressful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent16 May 2018
This job is not worth how much you get paid for the amount of stress that is included and it is a horrible place to work for. The only good thing about the job is a couple of the people i work with.
challenging workplace
Regional Compliance Officer (Former Employee) –  London10 May 2018
Pleasant but challenging and demanding work environment. A great deal of self-initiative and problem solving environment. Enjoyed working here but don't stay here for to long as you become unappreciated
Pros
fun staff
Cons
stressfull enviroment
Awful place to work
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Hilsea, Hampshire8 May 2018
Lidl is an awful place to work. Not only do they have no regards for home life but make it extremely difficult to progress so that you’re stuck in a dead end job. Definitely not the type of place you should be working.
Pros
High pay
Cons
Everything else
a good place to work
General store assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath6 May 2018
Lidl is a very fast paced working environment, you are expected to work at these standards. You get very good pay for retail and a lot of holiday. The balance of work and normal life is not good at all, expect to work extremely early and late every weekend and have unsociable shifts. There is never any variety in what you do, most 10 hour shifts will be spent sat on a till with just one allocated 30 minute break.
Pros
Good pay, a lot of holiday
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Training Mentor / Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nuneaton5 May 2018
Good if you enjoy hard work.
The reason I wanted to leave, however is because I wasn't getting my hours. This is also due to poor management.
But, it can be fun.
Pros
Easy hard work
Cons
Not getting enough hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.2K