Lidl Pay & Benefits reviews

Found 288 reviews matching the search See all 4,115 reviews
The only reason anyone joins or stays is because of the pay
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Highland8 October 2018
Your team will most likely be full of fat middle aged women who moan all the time, young people who just want to work and earn money, people who take their job too seriously and managers who you wonder "how did you get this position?"

You start off with £8.75 which seems alright until you realise that you'll have to do about 5x the work you would be if you worked at Tesco, Morrisons, Asda etc and you only earn about 50p extra.

Rotas are made 3 weeks in advance and one day you could be working 6-12 then the next it's 6-4 and then it's 11:30 until 21:30 and then back in at 9 the next morning. It's a shambles and unless you give 3 weeks notice then good luck getting a day off for that doctors appointment you need.

You are guaranteed to work at least 1 day every weekend. Which seems alright until you've worked 12 weeks in a row getting a Friday off and then you're in at 6am on a Saturday and Sunday. There is NO room for a social life.

Oh and that 10 hour shift you're doing? Yeah don't expect anything more than a 30 minute unpaid break for that.
Pros
Pay is decent for a shop but not worth the extra pennies at all
Cons
Unpaid breaks, long hours, bad management and very anti-social.
Worked there for a month
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Petersfield, Hampshire6 October 2018
From the beginning I knew this company was full of hype. You always hear how good this company is to work for, but after sitting through the induction day and that motivation video was played. I knew this was going to suck! From the get go the managers were absolutely incompetent and we had to wait 5 hours for a break! This is a no no and I feel sorry for the guys that worked with me that day as the culture is built on fear. Bear in mind that all the managers are young and are just “Yes” men/women. The whole thing is wrong and I haven’t met anyone who enjoys being there. They put me on every weekend possible so that stopped me getting high!

Apply though this was just my experience. Thank goodness I have other skill sets.

Oh don’t Expect the higher salary as this is solely for London.
Pros
Discount card. You get this the first day
Cons
Everything but the discount card
Nice and cool place to work
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  Feltham5 October 2018
It's a good place to work and kick start the career. The pay is upto the standard and is fun as the collegue are understanding. overall, team work is the key.
Pros
London allowance
Fast paced, busy but worth it.
Customer Service Assistant (Former Employee) –  Kingsteignton23 September 2018
Good pay, friendly staff and management, staff discount which increases at Xmas time. Good place to work which makes you work hard but pays you well for it.
Pros
Great pay, fair breaks, understanding staff.
Cons
Hard work, relentless work at times.
Not worth it.
Deputy Manager (Current Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh17 September 2018
I work as a deputy manager and all I can say is the job simply isn’t worth it. An entry level salary of 26,300 is actually a little more than a tenner an hour pro rata. So the money isn’t as great as they like to make you think. In fact its not enough to keep me there as I am looking to leave. This is to start work at 5am on the early shifts and it’s back breaking work. And get home at midnight on the backshift. On top of that all the responsibility and pressure of the job. A better gig would maybe be shift leader when you aren’t locked in with a 47.5 hour contract like does are. 10 hours days with a half an hour break are the norm and hardly in keeping with the company’s pillars of productivity and efficiency. How can anyone be productive on their 5th 10 hour backshift in a row ?....
The expectations are unrealistic and you are expected to work and produce with the bare minimum of staff and resources. Most of the work in the mornings is just putting the delivery away and shelf stacking and on the evening sitting on a till. ( we have a very VERY busy shop)

There are a few pros. 30 days holiday is generous. Staff discount and job security.

But there is zero work life balance. It is exhausting work and if you have young kids - this ain’t the job for you.

Another positive I must mention is flexibility. I have never once asked for a day off and been refused it. Or holiday time. Maybe I just got lucky with my store manager who is actually very nice.
Pros
Job security. Holiday. Flexible.
Cons
Demands. Shifts. Pay. Hours. Conditions. Breaks.
Good money for hard work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London13 September 2018
Great salary benefits, and staff are looked after to a point... it is very hard to advance in this job and does take a while however it is easy to catch on to things such as turn-over and till PLU'S
nice place to work
DEPUTY MANAGER STORE (Former Employee) –  RO28 August 2018
I worked at LIDL full-time. (less than 1 year).
Good place to improve your management skills. A place with learn, fun and earn. One of the best work culture place. Team members are good to work with each others.
Pros
Good training
Cons
Long hours, work load is too high, compensation
You’re pressured a lot!
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Luton26 August 2018
The money may be great but the amount of work they make you do is unacceptable. You have to run around like a dog to make everyone happy otherwise your in trouble.

Not good in the long run for physical and mental health.
Pros
Salary
Cons
Hard work but hard play too
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Yate, Gloucestershire21 August 2018
I have only been working for Lidl for a year, but now it's my family. We have ups and downs but mainly we are team players who help to keep things ticking over. I am over 50years old and they welcomed me, pushed me, but welcomed me. Work is not difficult but very physical and yes you have to put up with rude customers. People are not always happy unless they're taking it out on a customer assistant at the till. They also like telling you how things could be run better and when you should do your job.I would like those same customers to go and tell a manager that.
Lidl is a company that has policies and one is till speed, it has to be fast to keep the lines down, but customers still refuse our requests to use the packing shelf of to put straight into their trollies and pack over at the packing shelf. All it would need is a large sign over the window to tell the customers to pack here please.
Life at Lidl is never dull and the gang meet up for fun after work and thanks to Lidl if our rewards of a discount and higher than the norm wages are not enough, they pay for a summer party of our choice and a Christmas party too. We all get together and not talk about work.
I love being at Lidl I only hope I do them justice .
Pros
A new family, great pay and great benefits
Cons
Very fast and physical
Very good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Lidl pay the most out of all the supermarkets in the UK .But u have to work hard. if you are lazy forget applying for lidl you are not going to last long.
Pros
They do not pay for breaks
Cons
Long hours yes
Good place to work retail wise
Full time Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire7 August 2018
The pay is good and providing you have the staff (we are always short) it's alright. Have to do multiple tasks and flexible shifts, the latter is why I'm looking for a new job as it does not suit me any longer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Never enough staff
I think Lidl is a great supermarket .
Customer Service Assistant (Current Employee) –  Streatham, Greater London4 August 2018
I think Lidl getting bigger in country, is a great supermarket and I wanna give contribution, I wanna get experience and work for Lidl I reckon gonna , good for me get experience from the biggest supermarket like Lidl , I gonna just my best all the time , no lateness get on time and do my work.
Pros
Free lanches
Cons
Truly great place to work for
Warehouse Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilfov31 July 2018
Good with overtime and great team
Okay management
Processes well thought through. Lots of fun and reward for hard work.wiyh overtime money was really good.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Stressful day
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstone, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Usually a shift starts when I am put on a till or I start baking. Lots of stress behind this job as the company expects the employee to do multiple jobs at one time. Less staff at my store which causes queues and involves more stress. Most of the staff and customers are friendly enough however you get a few bad ones in the bunch, especially the ones that ask stupid questions. However if you enjoy the money and have a high tolerance to stress then I guess you're in the right place.
Pros
Great Pay. The longer you stay, the higher the wages go up.
Cons
Less staff. Long hours. Multitasking at least three jobs at once.
It is decent
Customer Assistant (Current Employee) –  London20 July 2018
Decent job for someone who wants a lil bit more than the minimal salary, however it's quite stressful in some stores as we're getting alot of mean customers and it is definately quite a bit harder than working in other stores(sainsbury, tesco). The life/work balance isn't perfect as they often ask you to stay longer. The team in my store is really good, pretty positive vibes all around.
Pros
employee discount, good colleagues
Cons
not easy
Customer Assistant
Customer Assistant (Former Employee) –  Stamford, Lincolnshire19 July 2018
It is what it is, clock in clock out.
do your work and go home no extra.
Really good money, sometimes long hours but generally good for its money.
would recommend.
Pros
pay per hour
Salary
Assistant Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset14 July 2018
Lidl pays very well as a company, but the expectation of 50+hours a week is the reason why. Also you rarely finish at the rota'd time and are expected to stay.

Realistcally not worth it.
Pros
money
Cons
Poor working conditions
Well payed, but very busy environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Polegate15 June 2018
Regular management changes make it hard to grasp the rules and expectations properly. Every manager has different idea about running the store... Otherwise, fun place, some great people.
Pros
People, salary
Cons
Pressure
great place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minehead15 June 2018
Love LIDL great place to work very hard but rewarding greatr company ethos benefits are awesome would definitely recommend if you have the chance go for it
Pros
discount
Cons
early mornings
Fun at times but hard work
Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) –  Poole5 June 2018
Can be very hard work, some days can be good, some days can be bad, every day is different.. you’re expected to work no matter how many pallets you have in the same amount of time.. targets are unrealistic with the hours given, some staff are expected to do everything with minimal breaks
Pros
Pay for store assistants
Cons
Unrealistic targets, management working to much . Breaks and work life balance

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K