Lidl Employee Reviews for Sales Assistant

Found 90 reviews matching the search See all 4,102 reviews
Wouldn't advise working here
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorchester24 September 2018
As soon as I joined I didn't feel welcomed by any but one manager and the people who worked the same as me. Didn't get fully trained, and when I did it was one thing after the other for 3 days max, no time to actually take in what I've been shown to learn. Was shown a quick video and was pressured to complete a test in under 10 minutes before being put on tills from then on. Expected to learn and know everything in a month that someone would know after working there half a year. Was never good enough and forced to be fast paced when serving even if the customer was struggling which still wasn't enough. If they don't like you they will find a way to get rid of you. Know a few people that worked here and left for these reasons.
Pros
The pay
Cons
Everything else
Good money for hard work
Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Mitcham, Greater London13 September 2018
Great salary benefits, and staff are looked after to a point... it is very hard to advance in this job and does take a while however it is easy to catch on to things such as turn-over and till PLU'S
Wish I never joined in the first place.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Monmouth, Monmouthshire29 August 2018
My time at Lidl was not enjoyable at all. Every day, I was discriminated by all staff members, including the managers and higher roles. I am self conscious as it is about myself, and have been taking medication to help my anxiety and depression as a result of working at Lidl. I advise anyone to not think of the money they offer, but to think of their general mental health first because places like Lidl, ruin people's lives.
Cons
Everything.
Very good
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London7 August 2018
Lidl pay the most out of all the supermarkets in the UK .But u have to work hard. if you are lazy forget applying for lidl you are not going to last long.
Pros
They do not pay for breaks
Cons
Long hours yes
Good place to work retail wise
Full time Sales assistant (Current Employee) –  Bicester, Oxfordshire7 August 2018
The pay is good and providing you have the staff (we are always short) it's alright. Have to do multiple tasks and flexible shifts, the latter is why I'm looking for a new job as it does not suit me any longer.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Never enough staff
Takes over your life.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Devon15 July 2018
The training is mainly virtual, after that mistakes aren't tolerated. Extremely long shifts where you can spend 10 hours on a till. 15 mins break if you have already worked 4 hours. Shifts can be anything from 5 am to 11 pm. Hard physically unloading and stacking. Under managers can bully and be unpleasant.
Pros
10% discount card
Cons
Long hours. Weekends and evenings. Unpleasant staff.
* brand new store *
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Norwich8 July 2018
Management is horrendous speaking to colleagues like they are dirt at the bottom of their shoe. Always being ask to run SCO's and till one all on my own when I'm on a close which is very unprofessional.
Pros
Pay
Cons
productive and fun workplace.
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  bristol7 July 2018
I was very amazed by the Lidl work force as they taught me and helped me to learn the basics of a good customer service attitude. I would get in to work and then I would either start on the till or if the store was not very busy I would help store / pack items.
Pros
amzing wages
great place
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Minehead15 June 2018
Love LIDL great place to work very hard but rewarding greatr company ethos benefits are awesome would definitely recommend if you have the chance go for it
Pros
discount
Cons
early mornings
Its great
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Manchester28 May 2018
Love this job, love the people, pay is amazing. When I started they made me feel welcome and in a week I felt like I was working there for months.
However the work load is allot and the lifting heavy weights gets abit much for me most the time, allot of bending over freezers and lifting heavy items to high shelves.
The only thing I HATE is the early starts, 5AM.
There can be late finishes allot of the time, however time goes that quick you never notice.
Pros
staff, management, company, pay, everything tbf
Cons
Work hours, Too much heavy lifting
Would need to pay me double
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lancashire21 May 2018
Such a shame as when I went to the RDC I was really excited to start working at Lidl. However, after only a week of training I knew it was just a facade put on and the real life of Lidl was a joke. The management was full of self-centred and ignorant people who took pride in breaking your back with work and demanding you work extra hours / come in earlier. I tried to persevere through ( I even moved locations) but to no avail. It seems, in my case anyways, that the senior staff at Lidl are power hungry individuals with no regards for the well being of their staff.

Another thing, not associated with the job as such, Lidl have to throw a lot of their unsold bakery items away at the end of the day, but rather than give it to the homeless shelters nearby, it gets bagged up and thrown away. My suggestions to do the former were shot down which was very disappointing.
Pros
Can't knock the bakery items
Cons
I can't be bothered typing anymore, sorry, just don't apply.
Stressful
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Ashford, Kent16 May 2018
This job is not worth how much you get paid for the amount of stress that is included and it is a horrible place to work for. The only good thing about the job is a couple of the people i work with.
productive work place
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hadley, Shropshire26 April 2018
a good place to work for. typical work day would consist of serving customers, replenishing shelves. as well as doing date check and temperature checks. management wasn't the best when i was working there. hardest part of the job is trying to memorise the codes to the fruit and vegetables
Cons
trying to memorise the fruit and veg codes
Ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Haverhill24 April 2018
Working at lidl was ok until i got diagnosed with a chronic illness, then it became hard to manage and i was constantly having to take time off. i couldn't cope with the lifting.

I would recommend working here if you are in good physical shape and can manage high pressure and a fast pace job.
Pros
good pay
Would'nt go back
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Nottinghamshire16 April 2018
Decent pay but really rubbish hours unless you book holidays off weeks and weeks in advance. Also you get really frowned upon if you ring in sick and the management can be really unorganised and immature.
Pros
discount
Cons
long hours, really difficult to book time off, favouritsm
Awful company
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Bridgend, Bridgend1 April 2018
The moment you join "Team Lidl" is the moment your life gets forced to take a back seat. They "pay well" only if they give you the hours you are contracted for (which is rare). After a certain time, YOU OWE THEM money for them not giving you your contracted hours. You are expected to work all hours of the day, and are treated like a pariah if you dare form an opinion of your own. If it's a quick quid in your pocket you want, join Lidl. If it's job satisfaction, avoid like the plague. And if you have a family to consider, Lidl is definitely not for you.
Pros
decent hourly rate
Cons
treated like second rate beings, rarely given contracted hours, expected to work all hours of day and night
Physically exhausting
SALES ASSISSTANT (Former Employee) –  Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire7 March 2018
Work was very excessive and tiring at times. Your constantly on the move especially if in the bakery section of the store. You don't get a chance to catch your breathe unless your on a break as theres always something that needs doing this is especially if your in a busy store. Be expected to keep up with tight time constraints.
Pros
lunch on sight
Cons
physically exhausting
challenging and full of surprises
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff15 February 2018
early start but also early finish ,
plenty of job from many areas
fast work flow with heavy duties,
always short staff,
cutting hours

Up sides-
discount card,
friendly enviroment,
ability to share your opinion,
many options to be promoted,
covering few places in the same time (till service,working on deliveries,bakery)
Pros
20%discount card
Cons
cutting hours
ok
Sales Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ilford, Greater London3 February 2018
time keeping and management is rubbish your doing a two persons job. very unorganised. wouldn't want to work for lidl again. you need to remember codes for things you sell and if your unable to learn those codes you get a warning.
Fun workplace
Sales Assistant (Current Employee) –  Inverness-shire, Highland29 January 2018
Lovely staff and lovely environment and a great place to work yourself up to manger position they give you so much encouragement and help all in all a great company