Lidl Employee Reviews for Retail Sales Associate

Found 120 reviews matching the search See all 4,113 reviews
Great money but staff and work load is awful.
Retail Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dorking11 September 2018
I’ll tell you why I left. I wasn’t getting any help from anyone. Management would always find something for other people to do, instead of helping me do 7 palets of bakery delivery in the freezer. Sometimes I would spend 30-60 min in the freezer to sort delivery, clean the ice and rubbish. Plus do all the bakes in the time, plus go at the check out to serve a queue of people and re stock all of the shelves. Hours and shift were awful. I’d rather be poor than work with people and an environment like that. The people I worked with were lovely but management just terrible. The area manager that came from Germany was lovely and felt bad for me and the situation. Begging me to stay on my last week.
Pros
Good money
Cons
Everything else
Stressful day
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Johnstone, Renfrewshire24 July 2018
Usually a shift starts when I am put on a till or I start baking. Lots of stress behind this job as the company expects the employee to do multiple jobs at one time. Less staff at my store which causes queues and involves more stress. Most of the staff and customers are friendly enough however you get a few bad ones in the bunch, especially the ones that ask stupid questions. However if you enjoy the money and have a high tolerance to stress then I guess you're in the right place.
Pros
Great Pay. The longer you stay, the higher the wages go up.
Cons
Less staff. Long hours. Multitasking at least three jobs at once.
Great job
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Brislington, Bristol14 July 2018
Loved the company but after a long time with its get boreing lol shame thing every day i just wont something thats gunna not bore me after a few years
Pros
Great pay
Cons
Waking up at 4
Good pay, unduly stressful
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Blantyre, South Lanarkshire3 June 2018
It's a good place to work if you thrive on fast paced environment and pressure. The pay is good as are the holidays. I did however watch people do 16 hour shifts with only a half hour break because of the pressures that they were put under.
I learned how to work under stress and produce the work that was expected of me.
The hardest part of the job was dealing with deadlines that were impossible to meet.
The best part was getting your pay at the end of the month.
Pros
Good money and progression opportunities.
Cons
Long shifts and extremely stressful.
lidl
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Wolverhampton30 May 2018
Lidl is a great starting job for when you finish school or doing uni at the same time as there is not a big number of hours 20-25 which is great if you just want some pocket money
Cons
no hours
a good place to work
General store assistant (Former Employee) –  Bath6 May 2018
Lidl is a very fast paced working environment, you are expected to work at these standards. You get very good pay for retail and a lot of holiday. The balance of work and normal life is not good at all, expect to work extremely early and late every weekend and have unsociable shifts. There is never any variety in what you do, most 10 hour shifts will be spent sat on a till with just one allocated 30 minute break.
Pros
Good pay, a lot of holiday
Cons
Long unsociable hours
Bad Manager
Store Assistant/Cashier (Current Employee) –  Nottingham15 April 2018
Awful Management, expect the world and never give any praise for the hard work you put in. Pay is great but expect to be treated like a worthless slave for it
Pros
Pay
Cons
Everything else
Worst company to work for, would not recommend
Store Assistant/Cashier (Former Employee) –  London, Greater London24 March 2018
They tell you lies, they teach you not to respect the customers and the tricks they teach you do not favour the customer, I am surprised they are still in business. I am now at Asda alot better and happier
Pros
staff card
Cons
The Management training, rubbish
fab atmosphere
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  leeds gipton19 February 2018
really enjoyed my time at lidl.
learned how to use their tills stock control
and loved interacting with the customers
going in on a morning i always watered flowers after getting my till ready for my shift
during day if store wasn't busy i would help fill up shelves
and clean store before leaving with other staff
Pros
great company
poor training
Store assistant (Former Employee) –  Cheltenham30 December 2017
Customer service, working in high paste working environment, taking part in all aspects of work of the store (checkouts, shopfloor, backstock, rotating the stock, date checking, bakery and customer services).
Store Assistant
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Morpeth, Northumberland29 December 2017
Just the same as any other store work really, although you work both the shop floor and the tills as well as being the clean up crew too. The deliveries would come in in the morning and you have to stack the shelves as well as running the store, its not a hard place to work but as you have to pull pallets around you need to be able to be active.
Fun workplace
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Harpurhey10 December 2017
It's hard work and the days are long, a lot of variety of tasks to do. It does get busy and stressful at times but great colleagues and good management at shop level make this a fun place to work
Pros
Pay
Cons
long days
fun team to work with, unsociable work hours, physically demanding
Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, West Yorkshire24 November 2017
Depending on when you start your shift 5am starts consist of putting out stock until we open which can be quite strenuous. Late shifts usually consist of being on the tills as it tends to be very busy, if you get off the tills you're de-carding the store. Some late shifts can finish 10pm or later depending on how busy the store was.

I work with a good group of people at Lidl but I am aware some store managers can be quite lazy and unapproachable.

Good rate of pay and flexible with hours, if you need a shift covering (usually) someone will do it for you. Not as easy to get more hours if you want them though.

Very busy, fast paced environment but will be rewarding if you want to progress within the company.
Pros
10% discount, good team
Cons
5am starts, late finishes, physically demanding
Great staff brilliant company
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cardiff, Cardiff21 November 2017
I enjoyed it here it was fun and outgoing. Staff are amazing and you learn new things quickly here not just one thing you learn a variety. Good to work for
Pros
Staff discount
Cons
Traveling so far away
I'd work there again
Store Assistant/Non Food coordinator Manager (Former Employee) –  Caerphilly30 October 2017
Long hours and lots of overtime was available. Couldn't really take my breaks because it was so busy and management didn't really let me take my breaks. Apart from that it was hard work, allot of grafting and I enjoyed it! I love working hard, makes the day go quicker.
Pros
good wage
Cons
Long hours, never get your break, allot of grafting
Customer service
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Portsmouth30 October 2017
Working as a store assistant gave me confidence, through interacting with customers, answering queries and assisting them was very rewarding, and since then customer satisfaction has always been my main focus.
Good team, terrible management.
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Newark-on-Trent, Nottinghamshire30 October 2017
Read some reviews for Lidl before working for the company. They were not positive to say the least. The job started out fine, when working away at a seperate training site. But once moved in to official building it quickly went down hill. Management were rude, inconsiderate and you were never considered good enough.
Worked to the bone, always understaffed - better than average pay
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Launceston, Cornwall22 October 2017
Worked like a slave.
Always under staffed
The pay is better than average.
Could finish work at midnight and start again at 5am
High turn over of staff, and many require sick on a regular basis.
Pros
Pay is better than most supermarkets
Cons
Worked like a dog
Good pay poor attitude to staff
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Page Moss1 October 2017
Good pay but management constantly belittle staff! Had money taken out of my till and then put back to say this is how a tobber would act and a manager who tried to threaten me but backed off after me standing my ground. Plus after having pertinity leave i recieved my redunsancy leave notice on return to work! Rediculous
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Poor managment
I did enjoy working for lidl
Store Assistant (Former Employee) –  Leicester, Leicestershire26 September 2017
I enjoyed working for lidl ,working with my peers and meeting people, I worked replenish ing stock ,they were very good to work for,just the hours were long
Pros
Good work colleagues