Lidl Employee Reviews for Duty Manager

Found 91 reviews matching the search See all 4,312 reviews
If you are a graduate and passionate about retail, this is everything you are looking for.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 May 2018
Excellent place to work, particularly at Head Office in London and down south. Lots of autonomy, responsibility and endless opportunities to work in a variety of positions and countries.

Left because retail is not my thing and I want to pursue my dream career in software development. At Lidl, you will work long hours and the job consumes much of your time so make sure you are passionate about retail and business management. If you are, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Pros
excellent salary, progression, opportunities, pension scheme, company car.
Cons
Long hours, some positions have poor work-life balance.
Avoid!! Carrot dangling extraordinaires. Diabolical management
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  South east, Kent2 September 2018
Worked for lidl for 6 years and it took the biscuit out of me until the very end!!
Over my time there I was duty manager, freshness co’ordinator, non food co’ordinator, training mentor and what at times, felt like the company lapdog.

Management have not got a clue how to run a Lidl store anymore. Too many ex Asda/Sainsbury’s managers brought over who haven’t done a days work in their life and don’t understand the culture. Absolute egotistical, lazy, waste of space shirt wearers who could not run a bath with instructions.

I started in 2012 worked my way up to duty Manager within a year, was promised promotion to assistant manager after 2.. waited, working my absolute BOOTS off day in day out for the next 3 years.
This included 16 hour shifts, 24/7 on call, running the opening and closing of the store single handedly. Handling visits from the BOARD of DIRECTORS single handedly. Taking grillings and canings for issues out of my control. Coming in to the late shifts and picking up the mess from my own managers, for a measley £1 extra an hour.. running the entire store from a till while the assistant managers sit in the office drinking coffee.. I could go on and on. There is no exaggeration here.

5 years on and no promotion came, they then eventually gave the position to someone completely undeserving, for the sheer fact he spent half his shift out the back with the rest of the ‘managers’ doing sweet eff all!
Carrot dangling culture in Lidl is their ONLY form of motivation!

Lidl is company who’s business model is built on productivity and efficient working.. something
  more... the management seem oblivious to, yet are the first to pipe up and expect u to stay late when the work doesn’t get done due to their inactivity..

Iv worked in multiple Lidl stores over the years but ASHFORD is the worst hands down. Avoid work at the Ashford lidl.. unless u enjoy doing the work of 3, self mental health deterioration and watching your managers drink coffee.. Smokers have free reign over how long there breaks are. Work is NEVER done correctly. Training is absolutely non existent and the average longevity of an employee is less than a year.
The smart ones get out quick.

Work life balance non existent.
Long hours, short breaks.
Unachievable target sets for certain work

My only positive I could give about the place is the time goes very quick. And the work is very physically demanding if you like working yourself into the ground while the lazier staff take an easy ride and receive all the opportunities.

Avoid ASHFORD.
Pros
Time flies, physically demanding, money is good
Cons
Diabolical management. Carrot dangling extraordinaires.
Awful company
Duty manger (Current Employee) –  Swansea31 May 2018
The pay is decent if you are a student or have no commitments but for the responsibilities and amount of work that is to be done on a morning shift for example the pay is not worth it , do not apply for Lidl if you want a social life or if you want to enjoy going to work , it is not a good company to work for.
All the management want is more and more but do not give you enough staff or time to do jobs , all you get is grief and criticism you can not do enough to keep them happy , other companies over an hours break on a 10hr shift in Lidl regardless of how long your shift is if you work over 6hrs you only get 30minutes if your lucky , believe me there are better companies to work for don’t apply for Lidl
Pros
Customer assistants
Cons
Management, environment, Lidl
Well payed, but very busy environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Polegate15 June 2018
Regular management changes make it hard to grasp the rules and expectations properly. Every manager has different idea about running the store... Otherwise, fun place, some great people.
Pros
People, salary
Cons
Pressure
Fast paced workplace, with lots of enjoyment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire6 February 2018
A typical day at Lidl starts fast paced and the foot never comes off the pedal. It is notoriously a fast paced demanding envioronment for which I thrive in, working well under pressure. Each member of management pushes myself into achieving more out of each day, for the strive for perfection. No day is the same, with delieveries differing, staff on each shift varied and the overall placement of each person during the shift. I personally have grown from store assistant to a top end duty manager, pushing for the next management step, although it is a tiring job. The hardest part of the job is the fact there is always the drive for what is next to be done and at times you stand back and think wow, there is so much to get done in such a short space of time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be staff interaction and success of the shift, to look at the staff with a beaming smile and to see the store looking sharp makes myself feel proud of each shift I complete when in charge.
Pros
Company discount and staff interaction
Cons
Relentless
Hard Work, Good Pay
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Edinburgh, City of Edinburgh10 February 2017
They work you like an absolute donkey, but you are well paid for it!

You're always asked do extra and the rotas are often changed without your knowledge - communication is often an issue.

On the plus side, you're paid for every minute you work and there is a certain degree of flexibility with regard to working hours.

Training is minimal and level of responsibility is high, which is unfair.

If you want extra hours, you can usually get them no problem.

Frustrating in terms of career progression, the harder you work, the more they expect and little recognition of achievement.

Overall, decent employer with good pay and benefits but beware - if you're not prepared to work long and hard for them, look elsewhere.
Pros
Good rate of pay, staff discount
Cons
Long hours, productivity is number 1 priority, staff needs come second
difficult company to work for in the end
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk10 April 2018
when I first started the job was enjoyable, but then the criteria for each member of staff changed, less time to work delivery, having to scan more items per minute. it became stressful working there
Pros
good rates of pay
very busy
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Leatherhead21 January 2018
Lidl was a very busy place as the store was a flag ship one you had sales management coming and going whenever they liked and was very fussy on the slightest thing out of place
Cons
Long Hours
Long hours, stressful demands
Customer Assistant/Cashier & Trainee Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodley12 April 2018
At first it was a job like any other, however, 10-hour shifts with possible overtime are exhausting. I was encouraged to be a duty in March 2018 manager (supervisor), I was informed they would be a training programme into the summer after applying. I was given disjointed crash-courses from different members of staff and thrown into the metaphorical deep end of being a duty manager over 2 weeks before the application was even available. I still don't know what I am doing after nearly a month of having things hurriedly explained to me and the interview for the job is next week!
Very challenging work place, but with rewards and added advantages
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  London, ENG12 October 2014
I worked at Lidl as a Duty Manager. Sometimes I had to open the store and sometimes I had to close. And as an store in charge in the absence of store manager I had to carry out all the duties a store manager is supposed to do. My managerial career started from Lidl. I started as a store assistants but later I earned the promotion. All the thing that I learned about the working environment and management, I learned while I worked there. My co-workers were from different ethnic backgrounds and I made a lot of good friends there. The hardest part of the job was managing a big store and all the store assistants which I managed to do pretty well. Working with so many friendly people was the most enjoyable part of the job.
Pros
Good Pay and very good place to work
Cons
Sometimes the shifts were pretty long hours
slightly above average pay but long hours
duty manager (Current Employee) –  Coatbridge, North Lanarkshire22 August 2017
Good company to work for part time as they are very flexible however full time employment will lead to a poor work life balance. Job satisfaction is very often dependent upon the management at the time. The company offer very little in the way of benefits.
Pros
flexible if part time
Cons
long hours and poor benefits
Productive but long hours
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Bicester18 September 2012
A typical day: Managing quality control of fresh produce, completing waste forms for legal record
Stock replenishment, inventory counting, warehouse duties, heavy lifting
Date orientation, date checking and removal of unsatisfactory products
General customer service, dealing with enquiries, refunding and exchanging products for customers
Till service and cash handling
Preparation of bakery trays, over-seeing the cooking of fresh bread in the ovens, removing and presenting on display on the shop floor
Placing stock orders
Handling large amounts of money in the safe, being responsible for opening and closure of the store and being in charge of a team of staff.
Mostly a good team of people to work with, recently employed are somewhat unreliable however. Good holiday allowance and good pay, with a rise every year with the company and every promotion.
Hardest part of the job is the long hours that change weekly, could do up to 50 hours a week sometimes. Management are good and down to earth and easy to talk to about work related issues.
Duty Manager
Duty Manager and Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 March 2018
Really hard work
Sometimes working for free because we did not hit the sales target
Bad personal life
Sometimes had shifts ending at midnight and the following day starting at 5 in the morning
fun but worked hard
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset19 May 2018
expected to do bit of everything, from tills to filling shelves baking bread to receiving deliveries. shift work can be any anything from 5am starts on early shift, or late shift where you finish once all jobs for the day are complete no guarantee that you finish at a set time.
Poor work home life babance
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  West Wickham13 March 2018
I was increasingly finding that I was spending way too much time working and sleep was becoming near non existent. Duty managers expected to carry out role of manager but without the benefits. Apart from this a very enjoyable role.
an extremely tough working environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  London12 April 2017
full time at lidl is a gruelling life sucking affair. the hours span from 5am till 2pm or 2pm till midnight. the workload is horrendous and you are expected to do more and more the longer you are employed. if you are good at your job they pile the work onto you while those who are not as able as you are left with remedial tasks and talked about only behind their backs. the management is sloppy at best, completely disorganised and refuse to take responsibility. the training you gain is brief and not helpful towards the job requirements. the only thing that makes any of this worth while is the pay however to earn a decent wage you must competitively fight for hours and prove you are the best at what you do.
Pros
pay
Cons
workload
The confirmed route to depression.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk12 February 2018
A typical day at work would start with being patronised into working numerous 7 foot chiller euro pallets in 20 minutes each by the store manager and then getting thrown on till all day to reach a target of 32 items a minute for 8-10 hours a day.
Then when the Store and Assistant Managers leave after a day of drinking coffee in the office, you have to run around with all responsibilities of senior managers on their mega-bucks i.e all fresh orders and fix all errors or face receiving a warning in the morning for not leaving the store in a presentable fashion for a measly £1 added to your wage per hour. The hardest part of the job is trying not to hang yourself from the company signage in the car park after the shift. The easiest part of the job is expecting condescending remarks.

That's it, you've got it.
Now go and make your own decision.
Pros
Free mental health problems.
Cons
Having to live with the mental health problems.
Hard Work
Duty Manager/Traning Mentor (Current Employee) –  United Kingdom7 May 2015
A typical day at work would include starting at 5am till around 3pm or 1130am until 930pm. You can sometimes find yourself there till past these times also.
If you start at 5am your main responsibility would be to get all the delivery out, and it is required to be at a very fast pace. Some days management wont get breaks.
There is a high turnover of staff so it is very hard to get a good solid team together.
Pros
Job Security
Cons
Long Hours, Late Nights
not as first appears
Duty Manager/Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Wakefield, ENG17 August 2015
when I first started it was fine. was promised the world now two years on im still waiting for the progression I was promised. you should be expected to work more or less every day if you are good at the job which is ok .but if you need time off for holidays or with personal issues good luck. the management.. well where to start if you expect them to be courteous polite and professional the wrong! numerous times management have been heard talking about members of staff in an unprofessional way both to the staff members face and whilst they are not present. all in all its a good stepping stone but once you start youre in a catch 22. terrible job role but very good pay..
Pros
good pay
Cons
long hours bad management unprofessional
Busy, hard-working environment. Above-average pay for the industry.
Duty Manager (Full-Time) (Former Employee) –  Morden, Greater London17 January 2017
I worked for this company part-time while at University.

After finishing my degree, I moved for a short while into a full-time position.

Shortly after, due to my previous knowledge and experience, I was moved to a duty manager position. However, this was not a job I felt was the right career path for me and moved on after a year.

Management changed several times while I was there, which seemed to be the nature of the company. However, the job itself was very consistent - the operating of tills, as well as stacking shelves, maintaining stock and upholding cleanliness.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Lidl. Our community is ready to answer.

41.3K