Lidl Employee Reviews for Duty Manager

Found 91 reviews matching the search See all 4,105 reviews
Avoid!! Carrot dangling extraordinaires. Diabolical management
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  South east, Kent2 September 2018
Worked for lidl for 6 years and it took the biscuit out of me until the very end!!
Over my time there I was duty manager, freshness co’ordinator, non food co’ordinator, training mentor and what at times, felt like the company lapdog.

Management have not got a clue how to run a Lidl store anymore. Too many ex Asda/Sainsbury’s managers brought over who haven’t done a days work in their life and don’t understand the culture. Absolute egotistical, lazy, waste of space shirt wearers who could not run a bath with instructions.

I started in 2012 worked my way up to duty Manager within a year, was promised promotion to assistant manager after 2.. waited, working my absolute BOOTS off day in day out for the next 3 years.
This included 16 hour shifts, 24/7 on call, running the opening and closing of the store single handedly. Handling visits from the BOARD of DIRECTORS single handedly. Taking grillings and canings for issues out of my control. Coming in to the late shifts and picking up the mess from my own managers, for a measley £1 extra an hour.. running the entire store from a till while the assistant managers sit in the office drinking coffee.. I could go on and on. There is no exaggeration here.

5 years on and no promotion came, they then eventually gave the position to someone completely undeserving, for the sheer fact he spent half his shift out the back with the rest of the ‘managers’ doing sweet eff all!
Carrot dangling culture in Lidl is their ONLY form of motivation!

Lidl is company who’s business model is built on productivity and efficient working.. something
  more... the management seem oblivious to, yet are the first to pipe up and expect u to stay late when the work doesn’t get done due to their inactivity..

Iv worked in multiple Lidl stores over the years but ASHFORD is the worst hands down. Avoid work at the Ashford lidl.. unless u enjoy doing the work of 3, self mental health deterioration and watching your managers drink coffee.. Smokers have free reign over how long there breaks are. Work is NEVER done correctly. Training is absolutely non existent and the average longevity of an employee is less than a year.
The smart ones get out quick.

Work life balance non existent.
Long hours, short breaks.
Unachievable target sets for certain work

My only positive I could give about the place is the time goes very quick. And the work is very physically demanding if you like working yourself into the ground while the lazier staff take an easy ride and receive all the opportunities.

Avoid ASHFORD.
Pros
Time flies, physically demanding, money is good
Cons
Diabolical management. Carrot dangling extraordinaires.
Well payed, but very busy environment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Polegate15 June 2018
Regular management changes make it hard to grasp the rules and expectations properly. Every manager has different idea about running the store... Otherwise, fun place, some great people.
Pros
People, salary
Cons
Pressure
Awful company
Duty manger (Current Employee) –  Swansea31 May 2018
The pay is decent if you are a student or have no commitments but for the responsibilities and amount of work that is to be done on a morning shift for example the pay is not worth it , do not apply for Lidl if you want a social life or if you want to enjoy going to work , it is not a good company to work for.
All the management want is more and more but do not give you enough staff or time to do jobs , all you get is grief and criticism you can not do enough to keep them happy , other companies over an hours break on a 10hr shift in Lidl regardless of how long your shift is if you work over 6hrs you only get 30minutes if your lucky , believe me there are better companies to work for don’t apply for Lidl
Pros
Customer assistants
Cons
Management, environment, Lidl
If you are a graduate and passionate about retail, this is everything you are looking for.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow31 May 2018
Excellent place to work, particularly at Head Office in London and down south. Lots of autonomy, responsibility and endless opportunities to work in a variety of positions and countries.

Left because retail is not my thing and I want to pursue my dream career in software development. At Lidl, you will work long hours and the job consumes much of your time so make sure you are passionate about retail and business management. If you are, then this is the perfect opportunity for you!
Pros
excellent salary, progression, opportunities, pension scheme, company car.
Cons
Long hours, some positions have poor work-life balance.
fun but worked hard
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Wells, Somerset19 May 2018
expected to do bit of everything, from tills to filling shelves baking bread to receiving deliveries. shift work can be any anything from 5am starts on early shift, or late shift where you finish once all jobs for the day are complete no guarantee that you finish at a set time.
Long hours, stressful demands
Customer Assistant/Cashier & Trainee Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Woodley12 April 2018
At first it was a job like any other, however, 10-hour shifts with possible overtime are exhausting. I was encouraged to be a duty in March 2018 manager (supervisor), I was informed they would be a training programme into the summer after applying. I was given disjointed crash-courses from different members of staff and thrown into the metaphorical deep end of being a duty manager over 2 weeks before the application was even available. I still don't know what I am doing after nearly a month of having things hurriedly explained to me and the interview for the job is next week!
ok if you do not have any other commitments
sales assistant/duty manager (Current Employee) –  Gloucester, Gloucestershire11 April 2018
its ok unless you have a uni or college course along side it and then they say they will accommodate but they do not. make you work over your contracted hours. Change the rota without telling you.
Pros
good pay
difficult company to work for in the end
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Dereham, Norfolk10 April 2018
when I first started the job was enjoyable, but then the criteria for each member of staff changed, less time to work delivery, having to scan more items per minute. it became stressful working there
Pros
good rates of pay
Duty Manager
Duty Manager and Training Mentor (Former Employee) –  Coventry22 March 2018
Really hard work
Sometimes working for free because we did not hit the sales target
Bad personal life
Sometimes had shifts ending at midnight and the following day starting at 5 in the morning
Poor work home life babance
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  West Wickham13 March 2018
I was increasingly finding that I was spending way too much time working and sleep was becoming near non existent. Duty managers expected to carry out role of manager but without the benefits. Apart from this a very enjoyable role.
The confirmed route to depression.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Norwich, Norfolk12 February 2018
A typical day at work would start with being patronised into working numerous 7 foot chiller euro pallets in 20 minutes each by the store manager and then getting thrown on till all day to reach a target of 32 items a minute for 8-10 hours a day.
Then when the Store and Assistant Managers leave after a day of drinking coffee in the office, you have to run around with all responsibilities of senior managers on their mega-bucks i.e all fresh orders and fix all errors or face receiving a warning in the morning for not leaving the store in a presentable fashion for a measly £1 added to your wage per hour. The hardest part of the job is trying not to hang yourself from the company signage in the car park after the shift. The easiest part of the job is expecting condescending remarks.

That's it, you've got it.
Now go and make your own decision.
Pros
Free mental health problems.
Cons
Having to live with the mental health problems.
Fast paced
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Glasgow, Glasgow7 February 2018
Lidl is a job were you have to be doing 101 at the one time, that's why I don't have have a job role as I'm a duty manager, cashier, cleaner, stock working, and a baker
Pros
Good wages
Cons
A lot of running about
Fast paced workplace, with lots of enjoyment
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Leyland, Lancashire6 February 2018
A typical day at Lidl starts fast paced and the foot never comes off the pedal. It is notoriously a fast paced demanding envioronment for which I thrive in, working well under pressure. Each member of management pushes myself into achieving more out of each day, for the strive for perfection. No day is the same, with delieveries differing, staff on each shift varied and the overall placement of each person during the shift. I personally have grown from store assistant to a top end duty manager, pushing for the next management step, although it is a tiring job. The hardest part of the job is the fact there is always the drive for what is next to be done and at times you stand back and think wow, there is so much to get done in such a short space of time. The most enjoyable part of the job would be staff interaction and success of the shift, to look at the staff with a beaming smile and to see the store looking sharp makes myself feel proud of each shift I complete when in charge.
Pros
Company discount and staff interaction
Cons
Relentless
productive and fast paced
Trainee duty Manager/Store Assistant (Current Employee) –  Newtown, Powys6 February 2018
it was a fun and friendly place to work. the staff were good to work with in a busy environment.i learned every duty of the duty managers and wished to learn more.
Pros
holidays
very busy
Duty Manager (Former Employee) –  Leatherhead21 January 2018
Lidl was a very busy place as the store was a flag ship one you had sales management coming and going whenever they liked and was very fussy on the slightest thing out of place
Cons
Long Hours
Fast paced workplace
Duty Manager/cashier (Former Employee) –  Weston-super-Mare12 January 2018
Working for Lidl is a great job if you like to be on the go all the time. The fun never stops, it is not a typical cashier job where you only serve customers, when not serving there is always something else to do. Great employers, always treated me well.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Very physcal job
productive
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Inverurie, Aberdeenshire18 November 2017
Fast paced and everything is worked around being productive within the store. Stores are run by a store manager and then an assistant store manager. You can have as many duty managers within your store as you like .All staff is part time and you have to be flexible with your work hours as its open 7 days a week.
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  Crowborough, East Sussex2 November 2017
Company focuses on productivity. To make targets and force staff to work long hours. No balance. Early starts. And late nights. Customer service is no longer a priority. Till speeds are always checked and have long queues.
Lovely working place
Duty Manager (Current Employee) –  London, Greater London24 October 2017
Working at lidl is one of the best as i enjoy woinking in a busy place and the management is also very good. Staff get 10% discount. It is a nice place to work.
Fast pace
Duty& Night Manager (Current Employee) –  London23 October 2017
You have to be on point and you need to pay attention to details. Flexibility is a must. Fast paced and a day is not like other. Good money. And long holiday